Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thundershirts are cat spanx. At the least you'll get some entertainment out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
She's gorgeous. You've had her six months? You might still see progress over a year or two. My parents' cats, adults adopted from a scary-to-cats situation, weren't feral and they took maybe a year to warm up. Just make sure she associates you with food as much as possible, and all the other basic stuff like being as slow and predictable as possible. If you have time, you can do high-value food trails leading to you while you ignore her as much as possible.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah it really can take forever, don't worry. My parents got a pair of cats from an awful home, and they hid under a radiator for weeks and weeks. Everyone was worried they were just totally broken from having had a such a tough life. They didn't like any food that was supposed to tempt them, they didn't like humans, they didn't like anything.

Today, one of them sleeps on my dad's chest every night, and the other one will just follow you around howling until you sit down so he can climb up on you and love you.

Not every cat is going to have such a dramatic turnaround, but you really won't know what's possible for a long time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The ASCPA's personality test: http://aspcapro.org/resource/saving-lives-adoption-programs-behavior-enrichment/meet-your-match-feline-ality-graphics

It doesn't cover kids or other pets, it's about how the cat relates to new situations and people.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Do you have a spare bathtub? If you put down a bunch of towels, that's a good intermediate step between a box and a small room.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This is a little offbeat of a suggestion, but why not leave the door open so the other cat can access the room with the hole? A shy cat can calm down faster if he has a brave friend, and seeing his buddy be fine helps demonstrate that you aren't horrible cat torturers and eaters. Worst case, there isn't much difference between one ceiling cat and two ceiling cats.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Everyone wants to adopt a pet during quarantine. Shelters/rescues are literally empty here.

In general they can be disorganized, too, and not always great at newfangled things like email, let alone online applications. Are you trying through one organization or a bunch? If they're open, you could stop in and do your best to demonstrate that you're sane.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Here is a list of 12 organizations in east Texas that work with feral cats, that can help you more than we can now. Most of them do TNR so you can get around to that, too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
https://tnrtexas.com/east-texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
She's super cute! Is there any way you can get the vet to move up her appointment? I wouldn't introduce her to your other cats until afterward. There are a lot of transmissible diseases ranging from minor to pain-in-the-rear end to fatal.