Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I just adopted my first and my method was making a few visits and spending a couple of hours each time at the local shelter just playing with every cat there. I went in knowing a couple I was interested in but just clicked with one I hadn't considered ahead of time and brought her home. Talk to the volunteers, they will know the most about personalities since they interact with the cats all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Boogaloo, you say you have a new cat, but the picture of said cat in your post seems to be missing. :colbert

I almost posted pics but figured I flooded the other cat threads enough but yeah, Milly hasn't graced this one yet.

:refurb:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

What a good kitty. Smile for Chilicam!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A stealth tortie! :neckbeard:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hail :refurb:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

:neckbeard:

How is mom doing?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

When I adopted my idiot, she carried the nickname of my friend's ex who I hated, so that got changed pretty quick. Mandy to Milly. At the shelter I kept calling her Milly anyways on accident for some reason so that stuck.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I used to be super allergic but still wanted a cat and thought about fostering just to test the waters but after a few several hour sessions at the shelter without symptoms I adopted instead. I've also thought about volunteering at the shelter but that has a bunch of schedule and minimum attendance requirements so I'll randomly go over for an hour or two and play with all of the cats and try not to adopt all of them.

We're lucky to have an amazing spca here.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ofecks posted:

Grats on your new cat! Please post pictures of this cat and tell us its name.

Milly has been here 6 months now but I'll always spam pictures on demand.

Chillest tortie ever.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tendai posted:

I really like Milly she has just a great face and great everything :kimchi:

Me too, she's good people and really just wants play, pets or to sleep on me all the time. Have some bonus squeaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr1F9dhe_wQ

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tiny Deer posted:

I like how you call her chill directly underneath a picture of her gnawing your arm.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Well, to be fair, "chillest tortie ever" is relative.

She got the best behaved tortie ever award at the vet and meets me at the door every day after work, whines until I go upstairs to change and demands I lay down on the bed for a few minutes so she can lay down and drool on me. This leads to inadvertent afternoon naps. When playing she nibbles and bunny kicks with no claws and lets me bury my face in her belly fluff without clawing my ears off. Highly recommended will adopt again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbe3BlSWo4

My lap or right in front of the keyboard are her usual spots.

http://i.imgur.com/UBrzKZ3.gifv

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

sneakyfrog posted:

there is a moment of quiet in the house as all of the drat animals have been exercised out and eaten and are asleep.
life is good. :beerpal:

It is a magical moment when playtime is successful.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly comes in a few shapes

Shrimp

French girl painting

Overseer

Loaf with weird elbows (drat focus)

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The hand vac I originally bought to fight the hordes of stinkbugs at my place 3 moves ago has shaken the stink and taken up a new scent. Every time I use it now the house smells like catnip. This is fine.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Got off early today and was in the area so I visited the shelter for some cat petting.

That last little girl is only 6lbs :kimchi:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Geolicious posted:

I MISS MY FRANDS

Sugar Plum got adopted holy crap!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Gonna go with: Urchin

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Chili posted:

oooo what about Uni?

MM yes that's much cuter.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Name zooming kitty Boops Boops

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I too went cat petting the other day, albeit in an unofficial capacity.

Lavinia is super sweet. 10 years old, owner surrender.

Gus Gus is 16lbs of cuddles. Until he doesn't want them any more and bites.

American Domestic Floof

Kinda looking for a friend for my cat, it was down to these two but they've both been claimed :neckbeard:

I'd go for this idiot in a heartbeat but she doesn't like other cats.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 15, 2017

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kojiro posted:

Oh my god

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Geolicious posted:

Is that Cynthia? She's a crazy goober.

Of course.

Antivehicular posted:

I love Gus Gus's weird face. I see he's got an eartip off; is he an ex-TNR?

That's lavinia, Gus Gus is the big grey beast. But yeah, we have good tnr programs here and sometimes up to half the shelter cats are former clients. Lavinia was adopted 6-7 years ago but her owner moved somewhere they couldn't have cats and had to give her up. I think that face is a british shorthair trait.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Today is Milly's adoptaversary.

Day 1
]

Day 6 This is still her favorite spot.

Day 8

Month 2

Month 8

Year 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go2D72j_fx8

:refurb: is my life now and this is fine. Here's the whole album. https://flic.kr/s/aHskEe5NrG

Now I'm thinking about getting her a friend.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Charlie is a good cat uncle.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Crosspostin'

Went unofficial cat petting after work yesterday.

That last one is Zylla, she's adorable but was on timeout for being a jerk. I might still adopt her, was on limited time yesterday. My cat had a checkup today and needs 2 teeth removed for resorbtion. I think it would be lovely if she came home and there was intruder.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Geolicious posted:

I know some of those kitty people. I MISS THEM!

Cynthia rolled over in her spot on the tree and let me pet her belly. Apparently this was amazing and the volunteer on watch ran to get a camera, but the festivities ended with a hiss after about 30 seconds (not unexpectedly) so the opportunity for video was missed. I'd adopt her if she somehow started getting along with other cats.

I'm there enough that I'm on a first name basis with a couple of the volunteers and getting pressure to join up the official cat petting cult, but I can't dedicate that much scheduled time still.

Edit: went back today. Only got a couple of punctures.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Don't worry Polly, you're adorable and someone will adopt you.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I only have the one, but she's as noisy as 3 when she's not holding down someone's lap.

Hopefully I can get her a friend soon.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Our local shelter is having free adoptions all holiday weekend so they can clear space to bring in displaced Harvey shelter animals. Halfway through the last day and they're over 100 adoptions which is just ridiculous.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Geolicious posted:

Some long timers, too!
Speaking of longtimers, Cynthia says hi.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kanga though. Look at that pattern!

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 20, 2017

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly will only sleep on the bed if I bring her to it when I turn in for the night. If i don't, she sits downstairs and yowls sadly like an idiot for 5 minutes when she notices I'm gone, then goes back to sleep. There are no doors in the way of her coming in. Every morning she's on the bed as soon as the alarm goes off regardless of where she slept. At least she's learned she gets zero attention before that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

sneakyfrog posted:

feel like it needs a slowly increasing in intensity string and brass notes

Maybe something from the interstellar soundtrack.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hey rescue thread, we've got a goon over in the cat thread who found some abandoned kittens. The saga started last night with placenta tangled kittens in their backyard. They're untangled (one didn't make it) and have been to the vet and back and are doing ok now though the mom might not be taking them back.

First post about it is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030&pagenumber=653#post482699278 and if you have anything to add or words of encouragement please chime in.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Oh my god they're so fluffy

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

sneakyfrog posted:

My gfs coworker who just lost his daughter to college is now my only hope. This one deserves a good home.

Quality doggo.

Stupid cute animals that just need a bit of work

This one has never had a loving toy before

I had to show him with the pack how to use it :smithfrog:

:glomp:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

mycelia posted:

Ah yes, but you see, I am failing morally by wanting to adopt this cat who has been under my care and with whom I have bonded. This is a thought pattern that makes complete sense and is very logical.

(Thank you. I will attempt to overcome anxiety and send the drat email.)

Foster Failures are Rescue Successes.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

insertdumbnamehere posted:

My coworker is fostering some very young orphaned kittens and has them at her desk. One of them has bonded with my beard. I can't decide if this is a good thing or not.

Congrats on your new kitten.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

What a cute little shithead. Great job, IMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yup that one's easy its a girl :kimchi:

Except if they're the 1 in a hundred? thousand? that are male and sterile.