Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I. M. Gei posted:

taking good photos of cats in general I think is just tough. Like even when they’re sleeping... somehow they always loving wake up and move before you hit the button! :argh:

This is a kitten thing -- they grow out of it.

Great pics though!

Is that a bit of orange on Kenan? They both look like stealth tortoiseshells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

This catte is very blue.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Neophyte posted:

Is "grab and pet briefly" for de-feralizing kittens (not cats!) still advised? I've heard some rescuers say in the past that it gets the kitten over the initial fear of Big Scary Thing Will Eat Me and more in the mindset of Big Petting Thing Will Pet Me I Guess, but obviously if that doesn't happen you've made things worse vs. just taking it slower and allowing the kitten to accept you at their own pace.

Don't know about kittens, but for feral adults the advice I've heard (and practiced) is to get them used to you just being in the room at first, then to gradually lure them out with food and toys until they get used to humans being friendly and approachable.

Cats who actually enjoy being picked up are fairly rare, and that's after they're socialized. Grabbing a feral cat or kitten sounds like a recipe for trauma to both you and the cat.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

you can soak dry cat food in warm water a bit to increase water intake or some form of unsalted relatively plain stock if you want to train your cat that its a luxurious boi. also adding a bit more liquid to wet food cant hurt either. or make yourself some tuna fish salad or sandwiches and use the tuna water (make sure its water and not oil.)

Just make sure the stock wasn't made with onions or garlic.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

his coat feels less greasy and softer now.

We've seen this with a few fosters. It's a very satisfying sign that you're doing right.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

There's a ribbon on a stick that they loved. One day I went into the room and it's just. Gone. A two foot stick with a four foot ribbon is just :shrug:

Oh yeah, for string toys, it's best to only use them with supervision, and put them away out of reach between play sessions. It's rare, but if a cat swallows the string (or ribbon, or whatever), it can be very, very bad:

https://www.hillspet.ca/en-ca/cat-care/healthcare/what-to-do-if-cat-eats-string
https://urbananimalveterinary.com/event/linear-foreign-bodies-in-dogs-and-cats/

Your cats have probably just hidden it, and they're almost certainly fine, but it's a good thing to be aware of in future.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Huh -- so I just saw a banner ad for [url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940941a goon selling T-shirts to raise money for neutering feral cats[/url], and thought it should be linked in this thread.

Cut pics of fosters in that thread too!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lady Demelza posted:

Resurrecting this dead thread to ask a question about animal rescue admin.

I adopted a cat I was fostering last year from a rescue run entirely by volunteers. Just before Christmas, he needed a dose of antibiotics for a kidney infection (which has now cleared up). The pet insurance company has contacted the rescue for his clinical history from his check-up when he first went into the rescue, and his pre-adoption appointment.

The rescue has kicked it back to me. They don't know which vet he saw, or who took him to those appointments (it wasn't me). If they ever made a note of what happened at those vet appointments, they certainly didn't give that information to me. This is about to be relevant because when my vet was examining him for the kidney infection, he found another issue that ought to have been picked up and treated a long time ago.

Is it normal for volunteer-run rescues to have zero information on the animals in their care? Do they routinely delete any information the moment that the cats are adopted? This isn't the first issue (previously, the rescue forgot to schedule a follow-up appointment which meant the cat ran out of medication, and an adoption had to be pushed back because they'd forgotten to get the cat microchipped). The rescue seems either borderline dangerously disorganised, or their vets are terrible, but I'm still reasonably new to fostering and maybe my expectations were wrong.

Probably just disorganised being a volunteer org.

The place we fostered through was pretty organised and tended to keep good records, but for at least one foster, for whatever reason we ended up with the hard copy of her medical records, and at one point thought we had lost them.

And the vets are generally as good as they can persuade to do work on the cheap or pro bono, which can mean pretty variable.

At some point you may just have to be straight with the pet insurance about the records likely not existing, and about not being sure whether those appointments ever happened. In a way, it's not much different than if you'd picked up a stray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Pander posted:

Good job :)