Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Hello foster thread, I haven't caught up on the last ~2500 posts, but since Chili and Butterscotch were part of the reason I found out about and became interested in fostering, I thought I should share my experience. I started fostering literally this week on Wednesday, since my fiancee and I aren't sure what country we're gonna be in over the next few years (yay, Brexit :rolleyes:) but we love cats and want to have one around the house.

Everyone: meet Kitty! She's five years old, her owner passed away on the weekend. She is oh my god the sweetest cat I've ever met. Within a couple of hours of coming home she was attached to my legs and purring like a motor. It's gonna be hard to say goodbye to her, but I know there are other cats I can help, and she will make a great companion to someone else :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

The only reason I know I'm not going to fail is that I actually cannot. I can't commit to a cat right now. I can't. I can't...

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Butters looks happy, I'm glad :3: I saw Kitty off a couple weeks ago, she's being doted upon by a sweet old lady who I went to visit last week.

But, uh, thread, I've got another problem, and her name is Tilly.

She's a beautiful terrible sassy anxious gremlin and my heart tells me she needs to be with me, I'm the only one who can treat her right, even though my brain knows that's factually incorrect. She spends all day asleep and all evening demanding my affection. Unlike Kitty she will not be an easy companion; we're her second adopted home after her original owner passed, but she came back into fostering because she bit one of her new owners' ankles.

How do I word the email to the foster coordinator saying 'can you just maybe not look for adopters for a bit while I convince my parents to let me adopt a cat before I move out instead of after'? Alternatively, how do I convince my hopes to stop being raised? Does it feel like this every single time?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

sneakyfrog posted:

"me want cat, and will pay for cats care"

Ah yes, but you see, I am failing morally by wanting to adopt this cat who has been under my care and with whom I have bonded. This is a thought pattern that makes complete sense and is very logical.

(Thank you. I will attempt to overcome anxiety and send the drat email.)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

You guys are the worst at advice :kimchi:

For your consideration: freckle beans.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Joining the chorus of "you did good, pal". You've given her the best shot at life you can and you should feel good about that.

Minor Tilly update: both my parents are smitten with her so I think she's officially staying lmao. She got very upset at the local outdoor cats hanging out in our yard last night and gave me a mean smack on the wrist in her confusion. Didn't know cats had that kind of strength! But we're friends again this morning :shobon:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Gremlin update: we officially adopted her a couple of weeks ago. She keeps getting sweeter and more confident every day, and she's an absolute fiend for playing fetch with hairbands. Thank you everyone who encouraged me :3:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Is there a trick to making Bitter Apple work? Because the cats are still chewing on poo poo. Can I get some recommendations for things they can safely chew? I'd like to give them some kind of treats and/or toys that focus that energy away from dangerous/expensive things.

I saw a Youtuber use something similar to these for her extremely chew-happy cat (to keep him off her very expensive camera cables, natch). No personal experience, but could be worth a shot?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. If you also have some cheap/good cat toy recommendations aside from like, the usual jingly-ball things, that'd be cool, too. Especially if it's something that would keep them active and tire them out.

Oh, this one I can do a personal recommend for. You might be able to find them cheaper or on a Not Amazon store but they're these ones. The smell lasts a long time and my cat goes absolutely apeshit for them. They're light enough to be batted around easily which is good, altho my cat also likes the bigger ones to grab and fake-disembowel.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

mcmagic posted:

Big guy is in surgery now to get his face fixed and to fix him. Send happy thoughts.

Thinking good thoughts for the big guy. As is my rescue girl, who decided today she was going to cause problems on purpose by being super cuddly during a heat wave.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

That is a very good name for a cat.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Vernii posted:

Good news, he seems to have recovered. I did an hour of applying a sugar mix to his gums every 3 minutes and he slowly came back around to the point we could get some pedialyte in him. He's back to acting like normal and eating fine again.

drat, good on both you and kitty. Hope he keeps at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

That is an extremely beautiful Butters.

This thread encouraged me to get into fostering, which is how I ended up meeting this absolute menace of a lady. Her name is Tilly. I am her emotional support human.

Here she is cuddling my wife.

The overgroomed tummy is a work in progress. Started some new antianxiety meds this week! They are apparently very bitter but we are trying to mix them in enough churu to disguise the taste. She is suspicious.

Goodnight.