Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

hello thread. you folks have some nice critters. i have two shelter cats, a flock of chickens, and recently acquired a stray dog who had been wandering around town. he must have let the word out, because a stray cat showed up tonight

i was working in the garage this evening, and my chickens started throwing a fit. i went outside to check on them, and there was a little cat sitting about 30 feet away. i hadn't seen her before so i kitty kittied and after a few seconds, she tried to run to me. emphasis on tried, because she was stumbling.

she made it to me and i could see she was in a bad way, skinny, missing some fur, oddly skinny tail, and odd stumbly gait. i got her some cat food and water and she tore into both. Mr. Glompton grabbed the cat carrier and she followed the food into it. i got her in the garage and let her wolf down her food and water.

i got a couple pics but my phone ate the one of her face. sorry about the state of the floor, i need to sweep.

i almost forgot that facebook exists, but once i thought to check it, i found a post my neighbor made 2 days ago saying this cat showed up and needs a home. she already has like 5 stray cats she's gotten fixed/feeds.

once she got done eating and drinking, she tried to jump in my lap, but due to the state of whatever is wrong with her legs, she couldn't. i sat down on the floor and she crawled right in my lap and started purring. poor little sweetheart. i had to go finish a project, but i went back out a bit later and she crawled in my lap again for another cuddle/purr.

i hope she is not preggo, tummy is a bit swollen, i couldn't feel any movement, maybe worms (ewww)? i can feel her spine/ribs, and her shoulder areas are dipped in/almost hairless

she doesn't have scabbiness and her eyes seem clear at least. most of her fur seems to be in decent shape, just has a few bare spots (not round so hoping not ringworm)

i also hope she is not a wobbly cat. as far as i can tell, she doesn't have the goosestepping part of the gait nor headbobbing so idk. maybe just starved/dehydrated? :smith: i'll try to get some video of her tomorrow.

soooooooo. she's in the garage bathroom, she has a litter pan, food, water, the carrier with a soft rug + some other soft rugs. i will do what i can for her tomorrow and then time for a vet visit as soon as we can get an appointment. i checked our local animal shelters and they are not accepting animals still, so she'll be staying with us.

Mr. Glompton's already started calling her Scraunch (he's been itchin to name something Scraunch) but says when she's all pretty again her name should be Honey

i'm concerned about her being a wobbly cat/having FeLV as i don't want my other cats to get it. they're both vaccinated but i know that's not 100% effective, and i've already endured a FeLV-related cat death. rather not experience that again

so, my questions are, what would you stray cat taker-iners do between now and a vet visit for a cat like this?

does anyone here have FeLV+ cats that they keep separated from uninfected cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you! also 10 foster wow!!!

her wobbles seem much better this morning. she's leaking pee though which is not great but she did use the litterbox, yay. she sneezed a couple times and sounded a little congested so guessing she has some sort of virus. i'm using an apron when holding her, and washing my hands/arms when i'm done. she's currently passed out after having breakfast and cuddles

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thanks all. she's been staying in the room in the garage, and i defaulted to washing clothes afterwards because of the leaky pee lol.

we got her in to see the vet this morning. no chip of course. negative on FeLV (yay!). they were not concerned about any of her blood panel results. they think she is an older cat based on her teeth. they aren't sure about the missing fur/skinny tail. could be trauma, could be follicular damage from past ringworm. she was given some treatment for fleas/ear mites. they were supposed to check for spay but didn't.

she'll continue to stay in the garage so she can get the R&R she needs, and get over her upper respiratory infection. she's eating like a champ and sleeping very soundly. can't wait to see what she looks like in a few weeks

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you! my most recent broody hen has been de-broodied, so kitty got an upgrade to the broody breaker crate. i think she feels more comfortable there than in the garage bathroom, less scary open space. she stopped sleeping in the litter box since being moved. she still sounds very congested but she is looking and walking a lot better when she is awake. i think her patchy fur is also starting to fill in? we'll see