Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

mcmagic posted:

Send good thoughts to my foster Iji who is going in to get his patellar luxation fixed tomorrow....

That is a handsome lad, I hope his procedure goes well and he makes a full return to comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Pollyanna posted:

This is a good thing to keep in mind. I’ve been thinking about what kinds of cats I’m interested in fostering, and I’m realizing I’ve only ever truly known one cat, not all cats. I can handle adults and seniors, but am I cut out for kittens and young adults? Especially if they’re significantly different from my previous cat…but if they need help, they need help - I can adjust.
I haven't fostered (yet) but I did volunteer at a rescue for about a year until I moved. I think it's great that you're introspecting on this. What I discovered at the rescue is that I can't handle kittens at all. I like the idea of them or just playing with them casually, but when I needed to clean their enclosures or the safe room or provide any kind of care I often felt anxious and annoyed. I did a lot better with the older cats.

Depending on the training provided by the fostering program, if you can get a little experience at a rescue before you commit to bringing cats home you might feel more comfortable.