Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

poo poo is hardcore.

Oh, for content I cannot post my bookshelf. It's a bunch of Ranma 1/2. That's not why, though. It's because I use action figures a bookends and my few friends are goons and it would look bad and gently caress I've said too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Applewhite posted:

elaborate?

http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=ifissues&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=21662

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/23/Opinion/A_chill_in_the_librar.shtml

monitoring the reading habits of citizens has been and still is a tactic of the government to keeps tabs on, and persecute political dissidents

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 19, 2016

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Who designed your bookshelf? M.C. Escher?

A friend explained this to me recently when you start to amass a collection of VHS or books that extend beyond your storage capacity you just begin creatively layering them until you are disassembling an elaborate jigsaw to get at a copy of demolition man or whatever

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shaquin posted:

A friend explained this to me recently when you start to amass a collection of VHS or books that extend beyond your storage capacity you just begin creatively layering them until you are disassembling an elaborate jigsaw to get at a copy of demolition man or whatever

Oh no I'm well aware of that. I was just pretending the picture was right side up instead of on its side so all your books were defying gravity.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=ifissues&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=21662

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/23/Opinion/A_chill_in_the_librar.shtml

monitoring the reading habits of citizens has been and still is a tactic of the government to keeps tabs on, and persecute political dissidents

poo poo maybe posting photo proof that I own a Quran was a mistake.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Maybe I should photograph myself defacing it, along with my real name and address, so the FBI knows I'm on the up and up?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Maybe I should photograph myself defacing it, along with my real name and address, so the FBI knows I'm on the up and up?

good plan

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Applewhite posted:

lol too late now mang

why don't you just write a list of your allergies and deepest fears while you're at it

Fred Hampton wanted to be an advocate for non-violent, community based change but he was put on a list and was eventually murdered, shot to death in his own bed by uniformed law enforcement officials

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Commie NedFlanders posted:

lol too late now mang

Fred Hampton wanted to be an advocate for non-violent, community based change but he was put on a list and was eventually murdered, shot to death in his own bed by uniformed law enforcement officials

Yeah but I'm white tho.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Yeah but I'm white tho.

a white guy with a Quran these days is like a black guy with a legally owned gun

good luck stay safe caucasian ghost

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
lmao only goons would be gay enough to have bookshelves

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

lmao only goons would be gay enough to have bookshelves

so you put your books on the floor then

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

phasmid posted:

poo poo is hardcore.

Oh, for content I cannot post my bookshelf. It's a bunch of Ranma 1/2. That's not why, though. It's because I use action figures a bookends and my few friends are goons and it would look bad and gently caress I've said too much.

Post itttt!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
More books comin' atcha.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

rose is rose might be the most incriminating book on those shelves

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i like book

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Hector Beerlioz posted:

so you put your books on the floor then

Durr. You put your books on a dresser idiot. I never thought I'd have to explain this :wtc:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Applewhite posted:

More books comin' atcha.

lmao as I scrolled across this post I was eyeing my own copy of faith and fire from across the room and thinking what a lovely book it was

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
drat, I love Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
son of a bitch I own like 80 percent of those books and mostly the exact same copies

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Carmant posted:

Durr. You put your books on a dresser idiot. I never thought I'd have to explain this :wtc:

How many Japanese characters have you memorized?

I know the easy ones like Naruto and Pokemon and Goku but there's just so many to keep track of!

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

More books comin' atcha.

-y. policemans union (good)
-strange & norrell (also good)
-war & peace (long)
-diary (chucks best)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shaquin posted:

lmao as I scrolled across this post I was eyeing my own copy of faith and fire from across the room and thinking what a lovely book it was

I wasn't able to finish it and the drat thing is only like 120 pages long. It's really bad.

im gaye posted:

-y. policemans union (good)
-strange & norrell (also good)
-war & peace (long)
-diary (chucks best)

I liked Fight Club better, personally, though Diary is definitely a trip.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also, it should go without saying that I haven't actually finished War and Peace.

I'll get to it someday.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

my fav chuck books were Survivor and Invisible Monsters

:3::hf::unsmigghh:

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

Carmant posted:

thanks for the table break

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I kinda want that lime green dresser.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

protip: add a lowercase "L" after the letters and before the .jpg or .gif when using imgur and it will automatically resize your image to a large but not table-breaking size suitable for the forums

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I used to have this bookshelf i inherited at a sharehouse that could have come as a premade set of "look how smart i am" i gave em all away

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Also, it should go without saying that I haven't actually finished War and Peace.

I'll get to it someday.

I saw a good article the other day that was talking about how a good way to get through classics which may or may not be of interminable length is to simply set a reasonable page limit for each day and just consistently read that amount every day like 25 pages etc.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

u would

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shaquin posted:

I saw a good article the other day that was talking about how a good way to get through classics which may or may not be of interminable length is to simply set a reasonable page limit for each day and just consistently read that amount every day like 25 pages etc.

Thanks for the tip! Think it'll work on Infinite Jest?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

2 copies of Congo! You must be rich.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Thanks for the tip! Think it'll work on Infinite Jest?

i absolutely loved Infinite Jest but i couldn't get through more than 10-20 pages at a time because it filled me with this half-anxious half-excited energy like coming up on a drug that made me want to throw the book on the ground and go for a jog

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

stop eating my sesame cake

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i actually just noticed that when i was taking the picture. i have no idea how i ended up with two copies of Congo but whatever.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

That's two Goons with Cormack McCarthy's The Road. Must be pretty good.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
is there a disorder where a book that is obviously from a used book store or maybe a touch raggedy looking VHS gets you excited, more than newer versions or iterations of either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

one must be a novelization of the movie based on the novel

• Locked thread