Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

On my old house I screwed some broom hanging clips to the underside of my roof and zip tied lights to some sections of 1/4 pvc pipe. Takes about an hour to put up and take down. I might eventually do that here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes it’s totally DIY. I put up a fire pit this summer and it’s pretty straight forward. The straighter the bricks the easier it is to make it look nice. Just get a long level and tap each block into place after you butter it. Definitely will take some time if you aren’t used to it. You can also get real fancy and run a level line but that just depends on how big project is and how OCD you are.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It would probably work but you’ll spend a bunch of time finding adapters and stuff if it was me I would just replace it with whatever is on the main line. If it’s pex replace the pex and put a new valve in it. When you combine two different materials they tend to expand differently which can cause leaks. But then again you could do it and it would last 20 years. Pex isn’t that much and it’s easy to install but copper is a little more finicky.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 1, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Only other option is to put in a sci fi door that swooshes up.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d say probably 500 to a grand.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t really have strong feelings about dryers. Seems like even the most basic rear end dryer will last a decade or more. Our washers’ bearings went out a few years ago and I replaced them for a fraction of the cost but it eventually wore those out too. It’s also not super easy to find replacement parts cause they just expect you to buy new. After all was said and done I’d say it probably wasn’t worth the effort to fix it even if we really didn’t have the money for a new set at the time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably depends on the price of gas in your area. I had natural gas heat in our old house and it was comparable to running electric. Guess overall it was cheaper during the summer since we didn’t need to use it but the amount saved seemed minimal. I think most new washer/dryers are pretty energy efficient. Our new Samsung dryer doesn’t dry as hot as our older one but it works about the same and you would barely notice the electrical use on your bill. The washer also barely uses any water and you can stop it pretty much any time you want to open it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sorry you have to hear it this way, you’re gonna need more lights.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t know how much you need or how much you want to spend but you could totally just buy a spool of stainless steel cable and make your own fancy railing that way. I just looked it up and a 250ft spool at Lowe’s is 60 bucks.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Might be rubber from the fridge feet deteriorating.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All exterminators will do is set some traps out and look for potential entry points so you might as well just save the money and do it yourself.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Any long term exposure to chemicals is probably not good for you but since it’s not continuous, it’s probably hard to correlate it to a shorter lifespan.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the worst thing about owning a home is the two big ticking time bombs you will inevitably have to fall on: Replacing the roof and the HVAC. Both are extremely expensive and it’s only a matter of time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The tunneled shitters under the house.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The sideways blocks are a little weird. Probably won’t affect a whole lot but it seems unnecessary. Might be why there are so many vents. I can’t tell how big the house is but it looks like a lot. Our 1600 square foot house has 2 on each side.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 12, 2024

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If it’s like a front panel you can get for a hundo bucks it ain’t worth trying to fix unless it was like a thousand bucks and less than 3 years old. I’ve done it on one before but besides that it’s probably trash. When I google that model it shows up as $200, probably cost more to fix it than to just buy a new one.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bought a 24v kobalt over a decade ago when I was working for Lowe’s at the time. Still works great. I would spend a little more like in the 150 range if you can and go with Dewalt/Makita. I think Kobalt is still pretty good too. I think Craftsman is good still even after Lowe’s bought them. Ryobi is fine but they tend to be a little cheaper quality and it’s something you’ll use forever. Inpact drivers are so versatile.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’ll waste a lot of filtered water if you just do it in line on the cold side. That’s why a lot of sinks have an extra tap for the filtered water so you only use it when you need it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Usually they’re 1/2 inch but they can come in 3/4 too. There should be an adapter you can buy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just put a quartz sink in and there’s a couple spots on the underside that have the holes already slightly drilled. Just go slow and steady.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

One thing I’ve figured out over the years is that unless you’re just really rich a lot of people don’t want to do certain jobs because it might be slightly different than the thing they normally do. I was looking into a tankless water heater a few years ago for our old small starter home. Nobody wanted to deal with it because they didn’t like tankless water heaters. So they’d either give me some ho hum reason why we couldn’t do it or want some ungodly amount of money.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I few years ago I took out a tree that was about 10 inches at the base and it fanned out like a bush. We just cut it down to the stump over a period of a month and left the stump to deal with the following year. I was going to drill some holes and put some stump remover in it but it dried out so much I just dug the thing up without much trouble. That really doesn’t seem too bad of a job. I’d just start it and if it seems like too much trouble then go for a pro.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do the most annoying of both worlds, remove the old hardwood, put a subfloor, re lay the old hardwood, and re finish.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s no way you’d end up with as good of a seal on them if you just replace the glass. It’s probably easier and maybe/probably cheaper to just replace the whole thing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you do buy a new opener get a quiet drive with WiFi, they’re real nice and they don’t take that much to replace.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Go ahead poo poo having a garage door connected to WiFi. It’s saved my rear end a bunch over the years compared to whatever cybersecurity boogeyman yall are concerned about. Most garage door openers can easily be spoofed without WiFi, hth.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Being paranoid is probably the right choice but I have a lot more to worry about than the slight chance someone will hack my non default settings WiFi network. It’s just easier to cold call grandma or hack Equifax.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

alright, thanks for the advice, y'all! I'm in Philadelphia, so it does get fairly hot in the summer, but not like southern desert hot.

Just to make sure I understand: the siding being fragile is not per se a problem, so long as it isn't touched? i.e. I don't have to worry about re-doing the siding every 10 years because it's gone brittle, unless for some reason there's stuff constantly making contact with it and pushing it around? Obviously if it's brittle, then carefully replacing only certain sections becomes a lot more difficult, I'm just trying to understand the long-term ramifications of the stuff. I've only dealt with wood, stucco, and cement board sidings in the past.

Our old house had vinyl siding and it was getting close to about 20 years old. I don’t know for sure where it came from but it was probably like the rest of the house and built with basic stuff you could find at Lowe’s. It had some damage to it here and there but you could just repair it. You could still easily manipulate it without it breaking so it might not be as worrisome of a problem as it might seem. This is a house that didn’t have a lot of tree cover too so it just got beat to hell with the sun all hours of the day.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You can definitely tint your windows and get some heavy blackout curtains. It won’t solve the problem but it will help.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At that size you might be able to just buy a premade shed for cheaper than it would be to build or even a kit. Depends on what kind of shed you’re needing. There’s tons of places around here that just sell them on lots. They probably all come from the same company but I can’t specifically remember what one ours came from. We just poured a slab and they delivered it for us.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Gotta get rid of the back pain somehow.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you’re gonna waste the money anyways, you’d might as well do it right. You’d have to get engineered beams and basically a whole new roof. It’s one of those things if you plan to live in it the rest of your life do it, if you don’t plan on it then it’s a complete waste of money and time. To be honest if you’re getting into something like that it might be just as expensive to tear everything down to the studs and rebuild the house.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think any real GC will touch that job by the way.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You could technically do it be most people correctly identify it would look like poo poo and be a lot of time/money to make something that looks like poo poo.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All the ace hardwares around me just have very basic things and a tiny Hallmark store inside. If you need anything even slightly unique, you’ll have to go somewhere else.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Might try calling camper places too, they might be able to send you in the right direction.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Composite is good and will last forever.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea real wood trim is the way to go, it’s expensive to get real wood anything anymore.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Most smart switches you can set up to turn on at dusk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Me and my dad installed a new back door a few years ago. It’s not that bad. I’ll admit you definitely need some purestrain confidence to just plow through any problems that might arise.