Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol my weird rear end house has a locking gate at the front yard to a bridge that crosses a moat (10’ drainage ditch / creek) complete with that I thought was a guardian snake in it, but turns out it was just a detached weave. memphis rules and no one will solicit me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

weave like a hairpiece?

memphis baby :lfgoo:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I do have a success story which is that I’m finally moving out of my piece of poo poo apartment, home to big brain ideas like unfiltered furnaces in dirt-filled 1800s era basements with uninsulated ducts that haven’t been cleaned in 20 years and also this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=R8Z2tedtZF0

Lmfao awesome

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I am definitely getting American Standards for my new house that needs 2 new toilets. Do kinda want a toto robotoilet 9000 though for the master bath.

toto rules. plus the washlet fits it perfectly

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

just finished installing a touchless faucet, reel mowing the yard, installing a ton of homekit locks and hue light, and assembling way too much furniture. I feel like a real homeowner now lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Quotes signed and deposits sent, we're getting a generator that can power the house and a kitchen that can make toast and coffee at the same time!

:retrogames:

:hellyeah:

think I’m gonna wire my transfer kit and interlock next weekend since I’m finally done with furniture

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol most of the HOA developments in the Nashville suburbs are on septic. it’s insane because I can guarantee the city will force them on to sewer here in 5-10yr when they get around to it and definitely on the homeowner’s dime

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Epitope posted:

Weekend plan options:
-Work on my house
-Work on buddy 1's house
-Work on buddy 2's house
-Go skiing
Hmmm...

go skiing and get injured so you can’t do 2 & 3

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you can replace the junction box if you want to do it correctly or if you want to be super lazy, shove a drywall anchor in that stripped hole and that’ll “fix” it

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

I am very tempted by the siren call of "just pretend it's not there, it's behind the entertainment center, anyway." But I also want to learn to do some of this poo poo on my own, and this is an area that isn't going to be very visible when I'm done, so if I gently caress it up, it's not a big deal, and it'll teach me better for next time, so I'm gonna take a run at replacing the junction box.

doing it right feels good. I was originally going to swap a single gang with a single outlet (that the PO was using a splitter on lol) to a duplex receptacle, but ended up swapping the junction box out when I found it was screwed haphazardly to the stud using a deck screw just through the box and not where it was supposed to go lo

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

My house is over 100 years old.

So, one of the "how to switch out a junction box" videos I was watching had I've that just, like, clipped in on the plaster without having to be nailed to a stud; is that a particular kind of junction box? How do I buy one of those, specifically?

Another question: the shower rod in our master bathroom is 1.5" diameter; how the gently caress do I give hooks for it? Alternatively, how hard is it to replace a shower rod?

retrofit junction box

bend the hooks larger is the easiest, cheapest solution. replacing a shower rod is as easy (screw adjustable / extendable) or as hard ((permanent mount) not really difficult)) as you want it to be

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I want to get some non-wifi connected keypad deadbolts with backup keys. I need a few on the same key, and I'd also like to have the knob key be the same. I see there are websites that will send you same-keyed locks, or I could find a locksmith.

Anyone have
1) Recommendations on non-wifi keypad deadbolts? Kwikset and Schlange seem to be the most common
2) Suggestions on route to go in getting locks/re-key?

I like the level locks a lot. I use the non keypad version but I’m sure the keypad ones work just fine. lets you keep the same key you already have if you like your hardware and doesn’t look like a smart lock unless you also install the keypad. works great with HomeKit too, but that will need a wifi connection of course

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

distortion park posted:

Maybe just a simple hook/button or two at D? That will get in the way less than those spoke things

this. bars look bad imo

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my favorite smart home thing I did was wire a leviton receptacle and pair it to HomeKit with my moccamaster plugged into it. I have it automated to make a pot of coffee every weekday morning or when I turn the plug on in the home app on the weekends whenever I get up

moccamasters rule

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Deviant posted:

lucky it wasnt full of beer cans

Lol modelos full of piss

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

setting a moccamaster on a leviton timed smart socket has been our compromise between a keurig and my ridiculous setup living in our kitchen lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Tezer posted:

I've never purchased light strings with larger bulbs, what are people's thought on c7 vs c9? Looking at the tru-tone LED offerings and not sure how to decide between the two sizes.

EDIT: looking for a set for my christmas tree in white and a multicolor set to hang on an outdoor 3' fence that circles the front yard, in case that changes the recommendation at all. Nothing high up on the house, everything is pretty close to the viewer.

just strung 100 c9 tru tones on my house on a dimmer. love em

going with the mid century bulbs for the tree. those will be c7s though as we’ll probably only get like an 8’ tree since they’re hilariously expensive in the south compared to oregon lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

I will add that I was blown away by the depth of the red. Much closer to the 1950s-60s-American-made. Starting in the late ‘70s the bulbs gradually moved offshore, most of them were exterior-paint only, and the lit colors reflected that: much brighter. The really old bulbs have very deep color. It’s hard sometimes, for example, to even tell if a blue bulb is even burning, until it’s almost full dark outside

Some of the Tru-Tones still do this - white paint on the inside glass, color outside- but I think the reds are painted red on the inside.

You’re gonna love ‘em.

I also like the ‘off’ colors, like pink, teal, and violet.

And yes, I spent a ton on them this year, but may never have to buy another bulb.

same. they rule. I can’t wait to get my tree so I can string the mid mod ones. I popped a few on a line I had out and they looked great. I’ll be running both on dimmers and the C9s look great on the house when I’ve got them at like 10% to not annoy my neighbors lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

wad them up and deal with it next year is always my policy lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

nwin posted:

gently caress, so 100 bulbs wasn’t enough for my outside trim-I’m 6 bulbs short.

Is there any danger with leaving those 6 sockets without bulbs (c9) in them while in order more? I wrapped the end of the string in electrical wire after wrapping it over-I need to get a male vampire plug because I only ordered a female one for some reason.

I know this isn’t the wiring thread, but I’m guessing it would be bad to have a string with female vampires on both ends?

Lol I did the same with my tru tones and left the string in the pouring rain til I got my other shipment and then proceeded to install them in the pouring rain. I did not die and my house did not burn down (no thanks to the rain)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MetaJew posted:

Is this the correct thread to ask for advice on how to break these rusted gas pipe fittings loose?

Living in central Texas where we have lost power and heating two years in a row I figure I should finally get my fireplace cleaned up and in working order.

First on the list is that the log started pipe has totally fallen apart so I went out and bought a replacement. Problem is that all the fittings are so rusted that I can't break anything loose.

The log starter pipe is also resting against the floor of the fire place and so I assume I should try to rotate it up a bit before trying to twist it off.

I've tried soaking all the fittings in PB Blaster but that had no effect. Then, today, I bought a MAP gas torch and heated the poo poo out of a few of the elbows and tried loosening the joints at several of them without having any success. In addition, the fittings are all pretty close together and close to the walls and floor so I can't easily get my two big pipe wrenches in there. I've since bruised my palms trying to loosen the fittings with a pipe wrench and channel locks. After it all cooled down, tonight, I sprayed more PB Blaster on the joints... Maybe it will be loosened a little tomorrow.

I had originally contacted a plumber I've used about this, and he quickly responded that this should be an easy DIY job. I don't know if he wanted to save me money or just didn't want to do it, but I've now spent $70 on the torch and a second pipe wrench so I'm a little annoyed.

Any ideas on what else to do here?

hit it with your purse

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

peanut posted:

I just upgraded our toilet seat from plain normal to heated bidet.

It was very easy and l only got 1 bloody knuckle and damaged 1 hose clip.
So I went to 2 hardware stores and couldn't find a replacement, then stomped into a b2b supplier to order a clip (actually 6 so I never need to order more), which will arrive in 4 days. Then I taped the old clip shut and turned the water back on and it's working fine so far.

My husband was like woah when he saw I ordered and installed the bidet in secret so it is a successful project!

Lol the toto washlet was my first and best house purchase

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

slidebite posted:

So, what are the thoughts on aftermarket bidet seats.

Not entirely sure about the service cold water spraying the rear end. I know fancy heated ones exist but I don't have power convenient to the porcelain throne.

Those that have one, pros/cons? Brands that are good? Avoid?

toto washlet is the best I’ve used imo

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I get migraines from scents!!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

tuyop posted:

There’s also the precautionary principle. If there’s even a little chance that this thing could gently caress up my life, and it’s possible to mitigate for that possibility, it’s probably worth doing imo.

Call me crazy but it’s not like the companies producing these compounds are studying all the ways they interact with your body, including any medications you may be taking, weird genes and damage you have, or other chemicals you may ingest throughout your time working with the substance in question.

In the case of these solvents, the relevant PPE isn’t expensive or hard to get, and the possible issues are definitely worth avoiding.

I think the only thing you’ve ever touched that might have an MSDS sheet is keyboard cleaner lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ran a gas line out to my shed for my generator. works perfectly under load and with the furnace going so that’s nice. won’t have to bug the utility about my meter :D

next weekend I’ll be running a 20amp circuit out there for a battery tender and my milwaukee charger and a light. also wiring a 50amp inlet to feed the house next time the power goes out (probably in 10yr now that I purchased this thing lol)

also gonna run a 15amp circuit to the front of my property for a wifi extender to run a level bolt at the gate at the bridge over the creek in my front yard

I expect this weekend project to run until march lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol *** bearings

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

a generator is cheaper than all of that stuff and will keep your house far warmer than 50° lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MetaJew posted:

I mean, yes, that's partly true, but I would need to still put an interlock into my panel in order to power the house with a generator, and I would need to store gasoline at home and maintain said generator. I'm not aware of any ethanol free gasoline stations near me, and even non-ethanol gas eventually goes bad.

an interlock is like $70 max and can be installed with a drill & a screwdriver. being as you’re in austin I’d imagine you have ng so just get a trifuel portable generator (like me :D) and you’re golden. I personally wouldn’t want to deal with a gasoline generator either, but propane is an option even if you don’t have ng

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

LVP is not good

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

hung 8 IKEA cellular blinds today. of course my weird MCM house has weird MCM single pane non standard window sizes. so an hourlong project turned into an 8hr project due to needing to trim the cloth and sheet metal to basically 8 different sizes lol

being able to set them to my HomeKit automations is sick though and definitely worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

slidebite posted:

Does anyone here have a dyson stick vacuum?

We were gifted one a couple years ago and I was skeptical of how much I'd use it, but god drat, we used it all the time. Much more convenient then pulling out the big central vac power unit. We used it so much the power head died on it.

The one I need (for an outsize V10 iirc) has been out of stock for over a year now, no joke. I thought it was covid shortages but it never comes back. According to the Dyson chat people it's not discontinued, just oos. I look every few weeks and nothing ever shows in stock or available.
https://www.dyson.com/support/journey/spare-details.970426-01

I was thinking that I suspect the other ones available would probably fit as the adapters to the pipe/unit itself *look* identical. I just want something larger than the mini power head which I've been using lately. Anyone have a unit that they use on low cut/tight carpet that they can recommend?

I was thinking of one of the multiple no-name chinese knock offs on Amazon but the reviews all seem to be bad or suspect.

that head does rule. I’ve been looking for the laser fluffy one for my v10 for awhile for my saltillo tile but it’s stuck in limbo like that one. might check eBay. they’ve got a pretty good return policy but yeah good luck tracking them down