Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Would it be worth getting those garage door insulation kits if my garage doesn't have insulation in the walls? The walls are rocked, but without insulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
:byewhore:

I have an existing masonite pegboard setup, but I just bought 8 blue panels for no good reason other than it will look cool in my garage. At least I can sell it to my wife that they are stronger.
(Thank you for posting the link)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Does anyone have dishwasher recommendations?
I'm currently looking at the Bosch 800 series. I wouldn't mind spending less if possible but I want something that will last.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 14, 2019

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

w00tmonger posted:

Is there any benefit to insulating/weatherstripping the garage door on my attached garage? I won't be using it as a workshop during my Canadian winter, but my living room is right above it and obviously the floor gets a bit cold.

Not sure if it's the sort of thing that will ever earn it's money back, or if it's even a good idea. Anything hung I can do to make my place warmer I'm for, but I'm not sure whether or not the garage makes sense as it's not being used for anything other than parking my car

Are your walls insulated in your garage?
I insulated my doors last year, and it does make a bit of difference, but they didn't insulate my walls so it's not dramatically different.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sirotan posted:

I'm thinking about some kind of dusk-to-dawn light there instead of motion sensing. The neighbor's house is about 20ft away and there are 4 windows facing that light. I've only been in the house for 3 days now but it seems like they keep their blinds drawn 100% of the time on those windows. How much of an rear end in a top hat am I if I install a light there that is now on all night long?

Next question: what do y'all do for lighting at the front of your houses? Seems like there are a lot of people in my neighborhood that leave an exterior light on at the front of their homes until I-don't-know-o'clock. It looks nice and homey. Trying to decide if I'd do a dusk-to-dawn light here as well or maybe get a light timer switch??

I'd say it's your right to install a light. If you get one with multiple glass panes on it, tell the neighbor you're installing a light that you plan on having on at night and offer to black out the one pane that faces their house if it bothers them.

I have landscape lighting at the front of my house along the pathway, with a couple of LV spots shining on the front of the house (I made sure the light cutoff was below the roof line to mitigate some of the light pollution). I think they are set to go on at dusk and off around midnight. I do have 2 lights on either side of my door but I only turn those on if I'm expecting company.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Motronic posted:

Yes, Ditra is awesome. It's expensive, but it works really well.

Ditra sucks because they make you use unmodified mortars, although now that they are getting into the mortar game they might be walking that back.

If your plywood is properly put down, you can use Custom Redgard, which is pretty much painting a latex sheet over the whole floor. You'll need to do something other than just redgard for the shower though. You can stay with Custom for that too if you want, they have pre-fab shower pans that are pretty much styrefoam, or you can use sand and cement to create a mud bed, but that's not the easiest thing to do.

Then just use thinset/medium bed mortar (depending on your tile size) over top of that.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 3, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Motronic posted:

Over concrete. You use regular thinset over ply/OSB.

Still needs unmodified between the waffle and the tile though.
That, on top of the added cost and added labor, means unless it's specifically called out in the spec we're going to go a different route.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

w00tmonger posted:

Awesome. Any reason to gently caress around with the self levelling underlay? I imagine whatever I go with I'll want some sort of waterproofing (liquid redguard?)
Only if you need it. And yes unless you’re slab on grade you’re going to want to waterproof at least the shower. If you are slab on grade I’d still end up waterproofing the shower.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 3, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Waterproofing bathrooms and also the mud room are required by code here.

Our previous neighbor had mold damage in his house because he previous owners had done the bathroom renovation themselves and not to code with the waterproof layers. They ended up having to pay for the repair and re-doing of the bathroom by a professional. Still that kinda thing doesn't happen often here, sellers usually get away with doing stuff like that.

Good point. If code calls for it, make sure you do it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

How many windows?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

HycoCam posted:

For Pella or Anderson--you're going to pay. Especially, if the quote includes installation through the window manufacturer. You're not going to regret having either brand.

What's a decent price to pay for pella/anderson replacement, figuring on a standard window size?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

socketwrencher posted:

The challenge with disposals is often adding the switch, given tile backsplashes and whatnot.

You can use one of those air actuated buttons, but then you'd need (another?) hole in your countertop.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErator-Sink-Top-Switch-Push-Button-in-Satin-Nickel-for-Garbage-Disposals-STC-SN/100460203

nielsm posted:

Having a garbage disposal that takes electricity, in the home, seems like a really strange idea to me as a lower middle class European. I don't even know what it is specifically... A shredder of sorts?

It's for smaller bits of food, you don't have to deal with strainers at each drain.
Scrape the big stuff off of your plate into the garbage, then just rinse off the rest. It pulverizes the food into small enough pieces that it can easily go down the drain.

A lot of people just use it for everything (skipping the scraping big stuff into the trash) and wonder why they get clogged up, but they still do a pretty remarkable job even when they are misused.

They are also fun to try and get something like a bottle cap out of it if you accidentally drop it down there. No matter if it's disconnected from the power or not, I'm always positive it's going to turn on and mangle my hand.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 7, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SourKraut posted:

A handyman we know tore out the shower and tile pieces we'd need to replace, and we find out that they didn't water proof/tile the shower properly, and often simply grouted the tile to drywall in places and not even cement board.
The other part is that after reading here and elsewhere, I had somewhat convinced myself that something like Ditra or Kerdi would be the way to go for waterproofing, but their quote is for a liquid membrane system, and they told me that not all of their staff is trained on it, and it could be a lot more expensive since they said the entire system has to be Schluter to get the warranty.

I was all set to do the initial downpayment for the work, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Sorry, I can't comment on the contractor issue because I don't know your area. However I can comment on the waterproofing.

If your house is anything more than 15-20 years old, no waterproofing on shower walls isn't exactly shocking. Neither is the tile directly adhered to drywall, I would hope it was at least greenboard, but I don't think I started seeing durarock/hardibacker specified on jobs until about 15 years ago.

As recently as 2009, we did a hotel in Philly that was just thinset on greenboard, no waterproofing.

The idea is that you really only need waterproofing where there is standing water. Tile itself is inherently waterproof, and on a vertical surface, the water is just running down the surface. Add that to the typical usage a home shower gets and you don't really need it. However in this day and age, especially with the liquid applied waterproofing, it's often just easier to do it as a just in case. Also grouts are far more than just standard cement now, and they also tend to have water resistant properties.

Even today we will often just run the waterproofing about a foot or so up the shower walls and just go tile on backer board, and it is all perfectly to code. This isn't small jobs, so taking the extra half day to waterproof the entire shower adds up (2 hours per shower x 250 units = $80,000), so it's often not done.

That said, when I do my own house later this year, I'm going to be waterproofing the floor, 4" up the walls around the perimeter of the room, and up to the level of the shower head.

Regarding liquid applied vs. schluter.

gently caress schluter waterproofing. I have no idea how they have gotten it out there that they are the be-all/end-all of waterproofing that everyone must have or you're all going to die.

Laticrete developed a sheet based waterproof membrane back in the 70's called 9235. You paint this black latex poo poo on the ground, lay out the sheet, then paint over the sheet. The sheet provides strength and also allows the membrane to flex and act as a crack suppression membrane.

In the early '00's they developed Hydroban, which wasn't great when it first came out. It was a fluid applied waterproofing, but had no sheet. It still met all the specs of the 9235 waterproofing. Mapei, Ardex, Custom, and I think bostick, all rolled out their own versions, which got much better over the years. Our shop will pretty much use redgard as a default, unless we're going for the mega-warranty. Aquadefense is just as good as Redgard, we haven't used ardex's very much and considering I'm not 100% positive that bostick has one, you can infer how much we use that.

Redgard (and the others) work by painting a layer, waiting for it to dry, then painting another layer. You end up with pretty much a 1/8" thick latex sheet that stretches and holds water, but the mortar still sticks nicely to it. You only need a sheet membrane in corner transitions, we will also tend to use it if there's a particularly nasty active crack in a concrete floor (this will rarely present itself in a home unless you're tiling a basement or it's a condo).

If you're going down over durarock, the seams between the boards should be mudded and taped by the taper (or your installer) prior to installation of the redgard.

Now on to schluter.

They are an awesome company. They dominate the market of transition strips in this area at least, and their products are ingenious. I absolutely love their shower curbs, their prefab pans are awesome, they just rolled out these awesome decorative shower shelves, and their linear drains are loving great because you can do 1 plane pitch to a drain, which allows you to have gently caress off huge tiles on the shower floor without worrying about lippage (even though the drains make it interesting union-wise, because the plumbers want to set the drains but they tie into the tiling system, so who does what...). Their waterproofing and crack supression, on the other hand...

Putting down kerdi sucks.
First off, you're stuck with using unmodified mortar.

Ok. Mortar tangent. Most of your mortars are what are called latex modified mortars. The latex generally improves work-ability, adds flexibility (on a microscopic scale), water resistance, and strength.
When you add water to the mortar, it allows all of the powders and such to mix up, and as the moisture evaporates out of the mortar, the cement crystallizes and grows into itself. The latex helps strengthen this bond.

One of the issues with the larger format tiles now is that the moisture takes far longer to exit the tiles. If you set a 24x24 porcelain tile on a waterproof membrane with a 3mm/~1/8" joint and pull it up a day later, you'll have hard mortar around the first couple inches of the tile, and the mortar in the center of the tile will still be "Green" (wet). It can take a long rear end time for the mortar to fully dry out/cure. The reason for this is that the air has pretty much no outlet other than the absurdly narrow grout joint. The tile is impermeable, the waterproof membrane is the same, and your grout inhibits airflow as well (which is the point) The latex not only helps to add strength during this time, but also can have other additives to pretty much self cure and not rely solely on evaporation to do the job.

Unmodified mortars don't have the latex, and don't have many of the other fun additives that can be added. They are pretty much sand, portland cement and maybe lime. Unmodified mortars are perfectly fine to set a mosaic or something, but pretty much anything over 8"x8" (20cm) you should be using a modified mortar, as the long curing time (in the center of the tile) can lead to a weakened bond and cause the tiles to pop.

Ok, detour over back to schluter.

Schluter (in the States) only allows you to use unmodified mortars when setting ditra and kerdi. So right off the bat, you're using a crappy mortar. So now you have to comb out the mortar to where you want the sheet. Then you lay the sheet out, and dry trowel the sheet into the mortar to ensure it adheres. Then you lay out your next sheet, comb it out, rinse and repeat, and this would require 2 guys to be able to do it quickly. Contrast this to a guy dipping a paint roller into some red goo and just going hog wild on a floor.
The one plus is that once your kerdi is down you can start tiling right away, vs. having to wait with the fluid systems.

So now you're setting your 24x24 porcelain tile on the wall, and you're still stuck with having to use unmodified mortars. You can bite the bullet and use the proper modified stuff, but now you don't have a warranted installation.
Conveniently they (schluter) sell modified mortars that will work with kerdi, but you can only use their mortars and that's bullshit because there are way better mortars out there to use.

Ditra is even worse.
You've got your unmodified mortars, but now you also have to trowel the mortar into the little voids 4 different ways to ensure the mortar keys into the little trapeziod voids that hold the tile down. You also have to do this prior to when you start setting the tile, so you're combing out mortar 3 times before your tile is able to be laid down.

Also both of them are expensive as gently caress.

As a point to point: (all pricing with no markup/taxes)
RedGard Per SqFt: ~1.65/SqFt
Material - $.45
Labor - ~1.20 (depends on the installation). This is union wages.

Schluter Ditra - $6.10
Material - 1.80/SqFt
Labor - ~4.30

Kerdi's labor would be slightly less, but the material cost is the same. That's true numbers, by the way. $1.60 a foot with my discount, plus .20 a foot for the mortar to stick it on the wall.

The only place we use Ditra or kerdi is Princeton U. I have no idea how Schluter got as entrenched in there as they are, but they accept no substitutions.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 22, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

socketwrencher posted:

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing it.

Assuming you're talking from bare studs to being ready to tile, and CBU + liquid membrane vs. drywall + Kerdi, I can't see how Kerdi is 3x+ as much. Also not sure how you're accounting for the extra day to apply a 2nd coat of Redgard. Can't speak to Ditra.

I'm not talking bare studs. When we go in I expect to see taped backer board (be it hardie or durarock). My job starts at the waterproofing, so whatever the carpenters have done doesn't really matter for my accounting.

There isn't a second day for redgard.
Basically long story short, figuring a standard 3x3 or 4x3 shower, I can get 5 showers a day with one guy using aquadefense or redgard.
Using 2 guys I can get 3 a day using kerdi.
This is walls and floors by the way.

SourKraut posted:

The estimator had told me they generally just use Mapei products...They also defaulted the quote to 12"x24" tile for the shower estimate, but said we could use smaller tile if we wanted to.
Mapei is a fantastic company, if they go all mapei you probably can't be steered wrong.
Tile size on the walls is 100% personal preference. I personally like the larger tiles.
On the floor, it depends on how much pitch you need. This is where schluter shines with the linear drains they have, you can have a single piece shower floor if you want, because the entire shower pitches to the drain. See sketch 1. The more you need to pitch the smaller your tile needs to go (sketch 3) or you can end up with lippage, unless you can live with a joint going to each corner, (sketch 2).

quote:

Oh, and one last question. I'd seen some references to using the Laticrete waterproof membrane in the corners/etc., and it can be used with AquaDefense too. Is that something you've seen? The reasoning I saw online is that it's hard to get the liquid membrane into the corner transitions, especially at floors and such, so I'd read where they saturate the membrane with the liquid system, set it after an initial coat, and then once everything has cured, go over with a second coat. Here's the fabric I'd seen mentioned: https://www.contractorsdirect.com/Laticrete-Membrane-Fabric

The liquid applied membranes don't really bridge gaps between the wall and floor all that well, so we fabric reinforce those joints. We call them toilet paper rolls (because that's the size they are), and yes we use those all the time. That is the fabric I'm talking about with the 9235 waterproofing system.

quote:

In this case, the company said they'd be using a PVC liner when re-doing the pan, but I wasn't sure how the liner-to-aquadefense transition works.

See sketch 4.
Not 100% sure on the system they are using, but generally the pvc pan is behind the backer board and it pretty much creates a redundant shower pan.
My tubby rear end is in the office moreso than the field, so this might not be 100% perfect but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SourKraut posted:

Thank you again for the additional useful info! Our floor tiles now are basically 2"x2" squares, sloped toward a central circular drain. I'm assuming it'd be difficult to change the drain location without slab work? I was thinking about a linear drain, but it'd be centered in the shower and need the sides sloping to it.

And he hadn't mentioned anything about the reinforcing fabric at the gaps, but I was going to ask about it/confirm they would.

If you have easy access to the plumbing and feel like having a plumber come out to move the drain go nuts but generally in my experience drains tend to stay where they are.

You can pitch 2x2 mosaics any which way you want so that’s no problem at all. Generally we start to worry with something over 4”.

Regarding the fabric, depending on the size of the gaps they might be able to use a mesh tape. It’s pretty much just providing a structure for the latex to adhere to.
If you’re really concerned you can ask them to flood test the pan, which is to dam it up, fill the drain and then fill the whole thing with water and see if it will hold water. If this wasn’t specified prior to your pricing though don’t be surprised if they give you an add because it ends up being lost time. Again I’m coming from a construction/ contractor angle, so I’m looking to streamline my work as much as possible.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 22, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Our go to for sealing is Sealer's Choice Gold
https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/aqua-mix/sealers/aqua-mix-sealer%E2%80%99s-choice-gold.aspx

If we're just sealing grout, Aquamix Grout sealer is a bit cheaper
https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/aqua-mix/sealers/aqua-mix-grout-sealer.aspx

With that pebble tile, you might want to use an enhancer:
https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/aqua-mix/enhancers/aqua-mix-enrich-n-seal.aspx
Pretty much it will make the stone look wet (but not shiny), which can make the colors more vibrant. If you choose to do this, you're going to want to do a mockup first (take a sheet, set it on a scrap piece of backer, grout it, seal it) to make sure you will like the final result. It's a loving bear to get it off if you decide you don't like it.

You can check the MSDS sheets on those websites. Ultracolor is already pretty stain resistant so if you would rather not use any of those, you're still probably pretty safe.
Shower floors are tricky because of the oils and chemicals that are in soaps and shampoos. Outside of the shower I'd say don't even worry about it.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 3, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SourKraut posted:

Thanks! I had looked at the Sealer's Choice Gold as an option; I ended up picking up the Miracle 511 H2O-based sealer (https://www.flooranddecor.com/outdoor-installation-materials/miracle-511-h20-water-based-penetrating-sealer-100038405.html?rrec=true). Have you had any experience with it? I can still get the Sealer's Choice Gold since it'll be a few days before I have to apply the sealer.

I've used 5.11's Porous Plus and it worked great, but I don't know that one specifically. You should be fine though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Spoke with a lawyer today about my retaining wall woes.

Basically I can ignore it for as long as I want. I dont have to take any action within a set amount of years or lose out on making my neighbor fix the wall. So when it comes time to do something about it I can go talk to him.

Onto the next thing now.

If you get a chance to bring it up before it's officially "a thing" he might be proactive about it anyway.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

devmd01 posted:

drat I wish I didn’t live in the Midwest sometimes, I love mountains.

My wife wanted a bigger step down in to the garage, so I used the existing frame and just added some extensions. Glued, screwed, and shimmed, this thing isn’t going anywhere. Still need to trim the board that fits above the step, but that can wait for another day.

My first thought on seeing the first picture's thumbnail was "holy poo poo, that garage roof is thick as poo poo!"
Edit:
Like this

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 25, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Depending on how good your taper was, you shouldn't have a problem. Every sheetrock wall is taped and spackled as part of a standard installation.

If you're worried about seeing the joints, sand and respackle if necessary. If you're worried about the difference in color showing, use a primer before you paint.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How difficult is it to install a dishwasher into a kitchen that has never had one before?

It depends on your access.
You need an open 24" cabinet space within 6(?)feet of the drain, a hot water line, and an electric supply. If you have the ability to add those, it should be pretty easy.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That looks more like a time machine than a shower, so perhaps they can go back to when the house was being built and change the layout.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

What I would do is get whatever you used for the back of the peninsula, rip a 3” or whatever the height of the toe kick is and then just basically build out the toe kick to be even with the tile.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mutata posted:

You obviously have not been introduced to the tile floors in my house which use 2 different types of thinset with wire mesh between them.

Where in your house is this?

That doesn't sound like 2 types of thinset, it sounds like how you'd do a screed coat.

Thin-ish layer of cement and sand with chicken wire imbedded to flatten out (or pitch if it's a shower drain) a floor, and then you can use thinset on top of that. The chicken wire gives the screed coat a structure to bond to. If I had to guess there's either poly or tar paper under the screed coat too. That's a perfectly legit older style of flashing a floor before floor levelers came out, and is still done today.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 11, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

willroc7 posted:

My AC unit outside has been making a loud clicking noise as it appears this little green wire w/a metal eyelet is loose and the fans are hitting it as they go around. It still runs and cools, but is it obvious how I can fix this myself? Do i want to try to attach it to this nearby post with the gorund sticker? Thanks!

This should go without saying, but just in case:
Please ensure your air conditioner is off before trying to fix that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Yooper posted:

Looking to tile my bathroom, about 75 ft2 of flooring total. I've done a few other jobs, used the Schluter Ditra membrane and had good luck with it. On this floor there is 3/4" plywood on 2x10's, with 1/4" lauan glued and stapled with sheet vinyl glued to that. I'm not comfortable putting the Ditra onto the sheet vinyl, even if Schluter says it's OK.

My options are either strip the vinyl and maybe the luaun, or anchor 1/4" tile backer (DensShield) and go over that with the tile. I'd rather just go over it with the tile backer. Is that gonna be cool?

In either case I'll be putting leveller down first.

You shouldn't need leveler unless your floor is absolutely hosed.

What I would do in your place would be to strip the vinyl. Glue and screw the 1/4" denshield on top of the luaun. Tape your seams with mesh tape and thinset.

Throw a level on your floor, if it's absolutely hosed, now's the time to put the leveler on there. Ardex has some great stuff if you can find it.

Ditra seams like massive overkill for a 75SqFt bathroom floor, but you do you. Kerdi would work just as well in my opinion if you're going for the uncoupling membrane/waterproofing. If you use the schluter stuff, make sure you use their allset mortar on both sides, it's actually really good stuff.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

devicenull posted:

Yep, rent it from Home Depot (along with the bit). Make sure you've got all the PPE (glasses, hearing, respirator)

You might be able to get it up with just a hammer and chisel, but if your installer did a good job, a chipping gun might be a godsend.

Also seconding the above advice re:ppe, but also gloves, especially if it's glazed porcelain. The glaze can be as sharp as a razor blade, and it's trivially easy to slice into your hand while absentmindedly reaching to pick up a piece of the broken tile.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think this is my first thread title in 19 years.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Johnny Truant posted:

Thanks for all the advice!

I'm mostly looking at typical lawn weeds that pop up between the paving of a small path, and then some random ones in/adjacent to my garden. I like bees and generally don't want to kill any of the perennials that have been erupting all over my property. Not too many, if any, targets within my yard, but how far should stuff I want to keep alive be away from glycophosphate spray? Can I just spray it right at the base of the weed (at least one spiky one is quite large already, probably 8-10" in diameter and almost as high) and be done with it, or are most herbicides like "spray the crap out of this plant"?

My wife uses vinegar and dish soap on our paver path. It works great.
1 oz dish soap to 1 gallon white vinegar, put in a spray bottle and go nuts.

It doesn't always kill it completely dead, so they might come back a little later in the season but it's easy enough to reapply.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LGZ04
What about replacing your shower head with something that boosts water pressure?
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-shower-head-for-low-water-pressure/

I did that at my old house where I had absolute poo poo water pressure (The water tower in my neighborhood was mostly below the level of my house) and it worked pretty well.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 5, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

has anyone ever sourced the phenolic resin countertops commonly used in lab settings? I was interested in them for a remodel but its hard to find info on pricing.

Most commonly seen like this for reference:

but this was gonna be for two kitchens. If its not too expensive seems like a good durable alternative, especially now that solid color counters are more in vogue. I think it looks pretty sharp and it feels like stone or ceramic IIRC

I can't speak to the resin, but you can definitely get the same look from the quartz lines such as Cambria, Dal, Ceasarstone, or Silestone (and the plenty of other brands out there)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

H110Hawk posted:

I wouldn't have learned that until I had a pot shaped burn in my counter. It never would have occurred to me since quartz = mineral.

The quartz crystals in quartz countertops are fine, it's the resin that binds them that has an issue with heat.
Anything over about 300 degrees can damage quartz if I remember right. You're also not supposed to use knives directly on it as it can scratch. Same with abrasive cleaners.
It is way more stain resistant than natural stone though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

actionjackson posted:

also I was realizing the tile person is not wearing any sort of mask, seems like a good way to get silicosis eventually?

It depends on the mortar being used.
Some have no silica in them at all.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a supplier/brand of subway tiles? Just your bog-standard, 3"x6" glossy white tiles for a bathroom reno. Not sure what quality differences may or may not exist in the $4-5/sq ft tiles and the $10-15/sq ft tiles.

And along with that route, for subway tile, do people generally prefer adhesive/mastic to thinset? It's just going to be like a half-wall application, and not in the shower area.

Dal Tile's Color Wheel should be ballpark $2.50/foot. If you tell me where you're at I can try to find you a distributor.
Edit: Caught your edit. Dal's would be self spacing, so you wouldn't need shims (still strike lines and have a small can of wedges around just in case, nothing is ever perfect).

If it's a man made product, I wouldn't pay much over that. $10-15 better get you stone tiles.

If it's in a bathroom, I'd go thin set. Even if it's not in the shower, the room will still have high humidity from the steam. The savings from the mastic to the thinset aren't worth the risk.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I looked on their website and it seems there's a few places near me that stock/sell them, but no official Dal showroom or anything where I can see them in person.

But from pics I can see online, it looks like the arctic white is what I would want, because yes, I am going to be very cliché and use bright white tile w/ dark grey grout. BUT I am also trying to convince my girlfriend that one row of tiles in a bright accent color would look really good and make everything "pop." But so far she wants none of it, she just wants white+grey everything (seriously...the flooring is sort of a driftwood grey, and she is looking at a grey paint for the untiled half...I guess it would match the grout but she ALSO wants white vanity and shelves, so...uhh...yay?)

If you're doing the install, you may want to consider lightening up your grout joint. The dark grey is going to highlight every slight variation in the joint size.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Apologies for more bathroom tiling questions.

If I do cement board for the wall portion that's getting tiled (again, bathroom but not in the shower, so cement board might be overkill?) is there any prep it needs before thinset? It's hard to research well, because it seems every site/video I go to assumes it IS for a wet area so mentions to prep it with like Redguard or something similar.
you can just use greenboard in the non shower areas. You wouldn't need to do redguard in those areas either. because they aren't getting wet.

And for the corners and seams between boards, I use fiber mesh tape and then coat that with thinset? Do I need a second type, or is the same one I use for the tiles ok?
Yes to mesh tape. Same thinset for the tiles is fine. If you're waterproofing the floor, you only need to bring the redguard up about 4-6" outside the shower area. Inside the shower area you want to go at least to the height of the wall sprayer.

And then the transition between cement board and green board...the cement boards are 3x5, and im tiling up about 45 inches...so I'll either tile over the transition and up a bit onto the drywall, or the cement will extend above the tile.
tile over the transition, you don't want the cement board anyhwere there isn't tile

If it gets covered by tile, I assume I treat it like two cement board seams, with thinset? And then I will need some sort of primer on the bit of greenboard getting tile on it for the thinset to adhere to?
yes to the taping, no to primer. Thinset will key to the greenboard no problem

But if I do the other way (I probably will because if the cement board goes up 5', all I have to do is cut a foot off the greenboard panels to fill the height of the wall) how do I do the transition then? Mesh tape and drywall mud ?
the cement board should only be under tile, it would be a pain in the rear end to try and paint it.

Appreciate the help, might make a whole thread on the bathroom reno when it starts if anyone is interested (or just wants me to stop clogging up this thread.)
I think all of your problems are solved by not doing cement board out side of the shower areas. Unless it's a 1:1 cost ratio, it really wouldn't be necessary.

Inside the shower, definitely cement board.

You'd only need to redguard the non shower walls if you were doing a steam room or you have a habit of pissing on your walls

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 9, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Thanks. I guess I'll use greenboard all around, then.

Layout questions:

I've checked 3 of the 4 walls I'm tiling, and they are all ok in terms of "if I start tiling in the middle, will it look ok at the corners"? independently. I assume I don't worry about when the tiles meet in the corner? Like...if a 3/4 piece of tile ends one row on wall A, and then in the same row on the other wall it ends in a 7/8 l piece of tile, who cares? Or should I try to plan it so that only the largest wall I start tiling in the middle, then in the corners where it meets the other walls, I start from there so it's not two little stubby tiles up against in each other in the corner?

The last wall has a closet that's getting removed, so harder to measure it, but I'm sure it's fine.

BUT if it's not fine, what do I do? By which I mean, if I measure the length and divide by tiles and grout spacing, and it turns out the "leftover" amount for the ends where I have to cut the tile is really small, like under an inch, or even under half an inch...what's the protocol? To me, that seems slightly too narrow/thin to cut a tile...is there an agreed-upon minimum thinness where if I'm under that, I just do an extra thick line of caulk in that corner? Or try t ever so slightly increase the grout spacing to just end on a full/half tile?

Unfortunately with the running bond you’re kind of stuck with whatever your wall dimensions are. If your pattern was stacked you would just shift your pattern over half a tile if you had a cut less than half a tile. It just makes the cut larger without impacting the look.

With running bond you’re just stuck. Whatever you shift you’ll end up dealing with on the next course.

I would go for the Dutchman for anything more than 2x the grout joint. So you’re not going to drop a 1/8” cut in there but a half inch cut will look way better than a 1/2” grout joint.

You can also make up about 3/8” or so by switching what wall gets the tile into the corner. Hopefully that makes sense, if it doesn’t let me know and I’ll sketch something out.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone have a caulk that's a good match for Mapei Pearl Grey unsanded keracolor grout?

This is the shade of grey:

They make a silicone caulk that was an exact match, but but I think they might have discontinued it and what I see in stock at my local Lowe's is just old stock. The other Lowe's near me, and the one nearer to my office that the Lowe's website likes to keep switching to (even though I tell it not to) have it as out of stock. Plus, the Amazon listing for it is...odd. A third party seller and the product description is for some sort of electronics, so not going to try that.

But the reviews on their brand of caulk are all over the place...like 3 stars, and there's a couple one-star ratings both saying it doesn't dry:

Plus, the Amazon reviews also make it seem like either the quality is all over the map, or it's old stock and is just not going to work:

OR, other option, I just choose a different grout brand that is easier to find a perfect match for? Taking suggestions for a grey grout+caulk combo!

Where are you located? If you're anywhere near Philly I can tell you exactly where to go, but long story short move away from the big box stores.
See if you can find an actual flooring store, like Floor and Decor or Dal Tile, they will almost certainly have it. There's a company called Color Fast that does the color matched caulks for the major manufacturers.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not anywhere near Philly, BUT I am going to a Daltile location this afternoon to pick up MOST of my tiles, so I'll ask them when I'm there.

Which brings me to another question I forgot to ask in the last post.

My regular tiles came in...but not the bullnose tiles for my top row, as I'm just doing a half-wall of tile. It is on backorder and not estimated to get in for a month, and I can't wait that long to start this project, so what's the best way to stop tiling and then finish a month later? I'm guessing the real answer is "don't" but that's really not an option.

Should I leave JUST the top row left, or for the sake of making it easier to spread the thinset, should I leave like the top row AND the row or two under it?

And with grout, can I just come back later to grout the rows after the fact, or is it better to go ungrouted for a month and grout everything in one go? Bear in mind this is NOT in the actual shower area, and I'd be willing to put some plastic up over the tiles on the wall that meets the shower to protect against splashback if needed.

You're right, the best bet would be to not do those walls.
However it's not the end of the world. Make sure you're very clean when you set your top course of tile. It's your call if you want to leave off one row of flat and the bullnose, or just the bullnose. Just make sure it's clean with no mortar on top of the tiles and no mortar clumps on the substrate. If you get any on there while setting it's fine, just make sure you sponge it off so you have a nice perfectly smooth surface when you come back to finish.

Regarding grouting: if you're using mapei get Ultracolor grout. That will stay consistent in color regardless of variations in the amount of water, humidity, etc.. that can have an effect on grout, so you'd be able to grout the wall and then the bullnose afterwards. Just make sure you keep the wall clean.

Edit:VV your call. It does set up quicker, but if you don't spread more than 1 wall at a time you'd be fine. Your call though.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Many companies don’t make their trim in the same place as they do the flat tile anyway so even if everything is available at the same time, there’s not necessarily a guarantee it will match. I can safely say that in 20 years of doing this, I’ve only had issues a couple of times.