Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Speaking of countertops, the house I just bought has quartz. Anyone have experience with these? My understanding is that they're physically very durable and non-porous, but you have to be careful with heat and can't place hot pans directly on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

PVC cement isn't great for you, but I think you must be abnormally sensitive to it. MEK is the main bad chemical and it's...not great, has a very strong odor, probably/possibly carcinogenic with long-term exposure, but not super harmful except at fairly high doses. You can buy it by the jug in the paint department. Cyclohexanone is non-carcinogenic but does have a strong smell and is also moderately toxic at higher doses. Tetrahydrofuran is possibly carcinogenic long term and about as toxic as acetone, which is to say, slightly with high exposure. Again, all not great especially with high lifetime exposure, but plumbers aren't usually sniffing PVC glue all day-sticking all that stuff together is the fast part.

Where are you getting this info? Last I checked MEK (I assume we're talking about methyl ethyl ketone?) wasn't known to be carcinogenic. It does have a very strong odor and can be quite irritating. It seems that chronic exposure can cause neurotoxic effects, although as always that depends on the dose.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

tuyop posted:

There’s also the precautionary principle. If there’s even a little chance that this thing could gently caress up my life, and it’s possible to mitigate for that possibility, it’s probably worth doing imo.

Call me crazy but it’s not like the companies producing these compounds are studying all the ways they interact with your body, including any medications you may be taking, weird genes and damage you have, or other chemicals you may ingest throughout your time working with the substance in question.

In the case of these solvents, the relevant PPE isn’t expensive or hard to get, and the possible issues are definitely worth avoiding.

I'm not saying don't wear PPE around solvents, I guess I just get annoyed by the assumption that everything causes cancer. I also once worked with it (MEK) in a lab for a few months once so I was also genuinely interested to know if the science had changed since I last had a look.

Given that it exists in small amounts in the body anyway, and that our metabolisms are already designed to handle ketones, I would actually be surprised to find out it was cancerous.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 4, 2024

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
So I want to add a window to my house. From talking to other people, seems the best thing to do is source the window first and then get the contractor to size the opening to that and install it. Clearly I'll want to talk to several contractors for a project like this (I've got some recommendations already). But I find the whole thing intimidating. What should I be asking these contractors? What parts of the process should I know ahead of time to discuss it intelligently with them? What kinds of things could go wrong? What's the time frame on this sort of thing (I'm in southern Ontario, if that helps)? I'll probably wait until at least the spring before starting this, how early should I try to get the contractor booked?

Any info at all is appreciated.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

TacoHavoc posted:

I mean this nicely, but if you are asking these questions, do not buy a window before talking to the contractor you'll be using to install it. There may be reasons that aren't apparent to you that could constrain the window size/shape/placement. I'm not sure why you want to source the window yourself, unless there's external factors I'm not aware of here.

I think you're deeply overthinking this. Call contractors, this is a relatively small job so you may get few responses and it may take some work. Tell them "I'd like to put a window roughly X by X in this location" and see what they say. Call now to start the process, because depending on what type and construction of window you want, there may be a significant lead time.

I had no intention of buying it before talking to the contractor, sorry if that wasn't clear. We had some friends who did a larger reno and they basically suggested that it's cheaper if you get the window yourself rather than go through the contractor.

Ok I guess I'll just ask around. I guess adding a hole in the side of your house seems like a bigger deal than it is.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
My grandfather's furnace was installed in the 60s and is still going.

The tradeoff here is that it's comically inefficient

Sirotan posted:

I recently had a sliding patio door put in where only a window was previously. I went to a local window and door showroom and talked with a sales guy, picked out the door I wanted and had one of their installers come by to give me a quote for install. After I signed the contract they drew up plans to send to the city to pull the permits, then cut the hole in the side of the house and installed the new door. It only took the guy two days to do the install after the door came in ~8 weeks after I signed the contract.

Thanks!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I would love a second tap for filtered water at my kitchen sink but I'm terrified of drilling a hole for it in the quartz countertop

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Benagain posted:

Unless your worry is shattering the quartz

Mostly this. Is this even a concern with a quartz countertop?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

trevorreznik posted:

I'm having problems finding bookshelves for a wall in my living room. There's a furnace vent about 76 inches off the ground and a lot of shelving units seem like they'd partially cover it. If I were to get something cheap like Ikea billy and just cut out the backing in that area, would that still be bad long term for the wood portion of the shelf? My spouse is absolutely against Kallax style shelves.

There's a light switch on the wall too and between the two of them it's hard to find anything commercial that would fit there. Anything made to order seems like it would be outrageously expensive, is there some other option I should look into?

You can just get the billy and cut out the part of the backing around the vent. You could probably remove one whole shelf worth of the backing. The backing provides some rigidity to prevent the bookcase from racking but if most of it is there it should be fine.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Yeah I would put something decorative in that section if it were me

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
The engineered hardwood floors that came with my house have a very matte, non-glossy finish. You can easily feel the wood grain through the finish. I really like it because it doesn't show dents and scratches, they just fade into the wood grain. I also like the wide planks. There's some synthetic floor in the basement that sorta matches the rest of the house, I don't know if it's LVP but it's no comparison; the hardwood is nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Double doors that swing into the hallway?