Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Bought a $30 LED light kit and installed it above the workbench, it’s actually usable now.

Next step is to revamp the garage lighting with LEDs and add another light above the workbench area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If the wife wants a shelf, a shelf she shall get. Needs some sanding, trim work, and stain but everything is square.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
father in law came over and helped me get the playground back together today. It went back together pretty quickly, especially since most of it was pretty sectional when I designed it. had to pick up some new brackets and bolts, but otherwise it was a smooth process.

We didn’t put the roof on, I want to design something new from what was there before.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 7, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally got some decoration up in the garage above the workbench.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Faustian Bargain posted:

I need to relocate my DSL line and while I’m at it I’d like to switch to keystone jacks. This way I can run a wired connection back into the wall and to the other room to my pc without cluttering the wall with plates everywhere.

Problem is I don’t know what is going on with this plate. It has one DSL connection and one phone (unused).

Not sure what’s going on with the yellow/green/red/black coming out.

This post indicates something about it being for testing: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Installation/Uverse-data-line-dsl-connection-to-Modem/td-p/5728881

Anyone know if it’s safe to ignore?

I’m gonna go with yes. The color on the wiring pairs going to the jacks indicates that they use used a single cat5 to run inside the house to that wall plate from the exterior wall hookup. Don’t forget to run pull strings while you are dropping cable, it may not be your future self that is thankful but it’s worth the time to deal with.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally got an antenna installed in the attic and coax ran down into the basement to connect to all the TVs. I just installed the electrical/network rack and plan to spend some time this weekend re-running the cat6 drops that feed the first floor and basement from the temporary spot everything was run to this last year.

I ran pull strings everywhere as well as J-hook paths so it should be pretty straightforward. Next steps after this are to get the fiber network runs to the second floor in place to help feed a second AP and IP cameras. Ask me about overkill in home network design!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ll clean it all up nice and tidy once all the Ethernet is run.

I’m going to run 3x fiber and 4x Ethernet up into a lockable cabinet in the laundry room. From there I can patch things in however I want. For now 4 Ethernet will be fine, I won’t need more than that for an AP, upstairs TV, and maybe one other drop. When I want to do cameras down the road I’ll drop a POE switch upstairs, patch everything into that, then connect the fiber down to the basement.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Cross-post from my AI thread, but I cleaned up my workbench area after doing some bracket fabrication and getting metal shavings everywhere. Good lighting is everything!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I did a bit of wiring overkill at the last house, ran way too many drops for what was actually needed. When we bought the new one about a year ago, I’ve kept the runs to a reasonable minimum. Still put a rack in the basement with j-hook paths for everything, and I’m about to run fiber/ethernet up to a second floor cabinet for an IDF. I don’t want to mess with computers/media playback/wifi troubleshooting when I get home, so I do it right the first time.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Paid the privilege to have someone tell me “hes’s dead, Jim” for my washing machine. It came with the house, so I’m not too broken up about it. There’s a speed queen dealer relatively close by, I’m just trying to convince the wife.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
New speed queen is getting delivered tomorrow. They have a ten year warranty right now, parts and labor.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s in and the first load is running.

E: pretty drat quiet!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 19, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Will report back in 25 years for the first service call.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ntan1 posted:

Only thing to make sure is to cross ethernet perpendicular to electrical wire, and be good at fishing.

I had to do this last weekend doing the runs from my basement wall rack up to where I’m gonna have another switch on the second floor, I was annoyed I had to break that rule. There is literally only one path from the basement to the attic without punching outside and running conduit up the back wall. Part of said path is unfortunately about a 4x4 space where some romex is. Thankfully the cat6 I ran is mostly for backup purposes, I also ran 2xOM4 for the main uplink. :getin:

J-hooks are temporary until I can get some surface mount raceway installed to protect the cables.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 26, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh sure, if I was just MADE of drill accessory money I could go get one real quick.

What is a home/car project but an opportunity to acquire more tools?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My basement storage/utility area light circuit has two outlets. I’m gonna put those tri-led things in them, so I moved one of the existing fluorescent fixtures over by all of the utilities and plugged it in to a different circuit. I need to get a short pull chain as well as secure the power cord with some velcro, but it helps immensely in that corner.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We had Pella over on Friday to compare with Anderson. Based on price and the much more transparent sales process, we’ll be going with Pella. First floor windows will be right around 10k. We’re gonna convert the triple sash in the living room to a big picture window and two smaller casements on the side; it should look awesome.

In the meantime I’ve been weatherproofing as best as I can. Went around to every lovely original sash window and went to town with weather sealing putty as well as new door weatherstripping where appropriate. Gonna head to Lowe’s in a bit to pick up a couple more things and I should have the winterizing done today.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 8, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The 10k quote was for the entire first floor, 3 windows. I haven’t seen the detailed one yet, the wife hasn’t forwarded it to me.

Finished up all the windows; I used some foam backer rod to seal up the bottom gaps. A plastic putty knife worked well to shove it down into the gap. It may be placebo effect but the house already seems warmer from sealing all the drafts.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, the front and back windows are pretty big. Front is a double sash 5 feet wide, rear is a triple sash that’s a little over 8 feet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Added some additional insulation to the top of one of the bedrooms. It’s technically the “bonus room” above the garage so it isn’t insulated as well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My wife ordered a mirror for our dining room, fine. Not so fine: that wall contains the supply/drain for the master bath. I spent a ridiculous amount of time measuring to get it precisely centered as well as ensuring I wouldn’t be drilling in to the pipes.

I screw the first drywall anchor in and it only goes about 1/2” deep and stops. I take a closer look, and there’s a stud behind it. Sweet!

I then measure and go to put the other side in: same thing. I somehow hit two studs exactly, even though my holes were definitely less than 32” apart. I should buy a lottery ticket. :psyduck:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That was with a stud finder. When the wife wants it centered, you just say “to what level of precision, dear?”

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Every time my mom drives up from Texas she brings whatever she can fit in her car from a pile of tools, screws, and other useful items I picked out from my late dad’s workshop. This trip had a cheap 12V Ryobi cordless which is perfect for most basic household tasks.

I was tired of having to go to the garage for a drill from the second floor when I needed one so I mounted it in the top cabinet of the second floor laundry room.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Motronic posted:

IDF and tool closet. Nice.

Also, nice multmode run. I'm glad I'm not the only one with residential fiber.

Thanks. I plan on putting in POE exterior cameras at some point in the future, so it only made sense to have an IDF upstairs to handle them separate from the main rack. I helped a friend run some speaker wire in his new house and he hooked me up with 3x100m OM4 he had left over in return. I also ran 4 cat6 while I was at it.

I tend to err on the side of overkill.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
$18k for new Pella windows for the entire house. cash+large project discounts so we basically got one window for free there. Install is mid-March, so hopefully there’s some good weather! :homebrew:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
First floor has a small casement, triple sash, and double sash. Switching the triple sash in the living room to a large center picture window with two casements on the side.

upstairs we’re replacing 5 windows all told, two are double sash. This also includes the large picture window above the door in the entry way. Goodbye original 1996-era windows, you drafty pieces of poo poo!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Install started today!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
lol. Regardless, they kick rear end

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
:hellyeah:

this will make the cat very happy, next order of business is to get a decent bird feeder out there

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Did a couple of minor projects this week around the house.

Put in some erosion mitigation along the right side fence line. Moved the rocks from an area up front I want to sod over and cut up some scrap pressure treated lumber to act as flow gates. A major downspout feeds into this from the corner so it gets a lot of water flow. I’ll eventually run the downspout under the yard and let it out somewhere where it can flow to the drainage easement and stop rotting my fence posts.

Moved the thermostat over a wall. The previous spot had awkward placement on the wall for decorating purposes plus the glow is visible in the tv if you know where to look. I apparently measured perfectly because with the 30’ piece of 8wire I had 1ft of slack on both ends. First time I’ve dug this far into the guts of an hvac system to swap wires, so that was fun.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 28, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Locking in a re-fi today, going from 4.875 to 2.875. :stare:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For lawn stuff you might be better served over here!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Good stuff on the lawn care, I learned some things!

...but gently caress keeping track of all that noise, I’ll just pay someone. $450/yr for lawn treatment service is well worth not dealing with it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 12, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

tangy yet delightful posted:

The legal department of the playset company.

I agree. Do I want my kids to be safe? Sure. I went the route of “gently caress it, they’ll be fine” with the playground I built but it also doesn’t have a very tall platform, monkey bars, etc. The least safe part is the transition up and over the top of the climbing wall in to the inside of the platform and I have lots of handles installed for that.

Kids are pretty good at evaluating risk and not doing dangerous stuff they’re not capable of. Sure, accidents can happen but in this particular instance I feel like the risks are minimal. Hell, the three year olds are jumping off the slide most of the way up now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

The Dave posted:

Just refied down from a 30 year at 4.8 to a 15 year 3.1 and will ultimately save $30k. Just opened a bottle of red.

Similarly, closing Friday and going from a 4.75 30yr to a 2.875 30yr. We were only one year in on this mortgage so it doesn’t really set us back. The $250/mo lower mortgage payment we’re gonna plow right back in to principal. Between that and throwing in an extra payment every year since we run on a 4 week budget cycle, we could theoretically have this paid off in 18 years and save over $120k in interest. :hellyeah:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
hell yeah, the carpenter bee trap is working.

get the gently caress out of my fence post, bitches

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well this was a fun afternoon. Stripped out all of the split caulk around the garage door trim. I also got the first round of fresh paintable caulk around the third bay trim. Should be able to finish up caulking tomorrow.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Had to go to Lowe’s and get more caulk. Might as well get some 12-2 to finish up some new circuits while I’m at it.

Got the second round of caulk on and smoothed out on the third bay, and the first application of caulk on the double bay. Took the day off tomorrow so hopefully I can finish it all up and paint.

Next up is all of the rotting trim boards after this, that’s gonna be a long term project.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
drat I wish I didn’t live in the Midwest sometimes, I love mountains.

My wife wanted a bigger step down in to the garage, so I used the existing frame and just added some extensions. Glued, screwed, and shimmed, this thing isn’t going anywhere. Still need to trim the board that fits above the step, but that can wait for another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

So, there is water penetration happening right at the base of the vertical trim board. I love home ownership.

$4300 to replace all the siding in that section, redo all the flashing, fix any decking damage, replace some of the trim, reinforce the area with extra waterproof layering before they reinstall the shingles. I have two extra boxes of shingles they can use so they don’t have to supply, and they will only prime all the new siding/trim so I can paint it. This saved me at least $200 in negotiations. Need to clarify a couple of items from the quote and then we can schedule in a couple of weeks.