Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Minus one is quite good but I made the mistake or watching the '54 Godzilla, Shin Godzilla, and Godzilla vs Mothra in the days before going to see it which lessened its impact since all of those are slightly better.

I was surprised at how American the film is in a very Oo-Rah! support are troops Micheal Bay sorta way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Annath posted:

Yeah, a lot of the people involved in combating Godzilla were veterans, but they were specifically acting as civilians with no military support, not even shipboard guns.

The military was portrayed as basically useless the whole film.

That's what feels so American about it. It's the brave mistreated soldiers taking care of the problem that the cowardly government bureaucrats can't solve by forming an anti-kaiju freikorps.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vintersorg posted:

Someone on r/Godzilla noticed that some of the buildings smashed in Minus One are the same as 54. :o

The scene with the TV reporters continuing to film until they die is also basically the same

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Here's hoping for a new Kaiju golden age.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Does Toho have the courage to make another Godzilla movie where the plot largely focuses on psychic powers?

We need to bring back even fairly realistic films having psychic powers as a plot point...

Parapsychology in the mainstream needs a comeback.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Honest Thief posted:

Ok Minus One hype was real, what a picture!
I'd be curious to get a feeling for how much it dwells on nostalgia for the og godzilla tho. It also feels like it works on similar national vibes to like ID4 but less grunt hoorah.

Which is what makes it feel like the most American Godzilla (outside of '98) despite simultaneously being extremely Japanese.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The director and the VFX supervisor being one person means that the director probably knows what is going to be added into shots while he is shooting and has more knowledge about how to frame and block the shot with that in mind.

In some films nobody on set has any idea what the environment or creature that will be added in later looks like.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Need to win the Lottery so I can go to that store.

I've actually met Dario once, made him sign my prosthetic leg, man barely speaks a word of English and my Italian isn't conversational so we didn't have a very fruitful discussion. Mostly just nods.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm Ford Brody and these are my associates Cadillac Melanchol and Volkswagen Angst.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd watch that film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kong x Zilla is very stupid and I love it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Half the film is Kong dealing with loneliness and/or fighting Monkey Mordor in the hollow earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love Godzilla Minus One but it feels like part of the message is "The Imperial Japanese Army did nothing wrong and was only bad because it was failed by the weak Brass and cowardly politicians. Which is why a private Freikorps formed by strong and noble WW2 veterans is good and noble because only True patriots can combat a giant nuclear dinosaur without interference from the weak, globalist, and decadent state."

So basically the same as every single American war movie except a lot less fascist.