Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Does that use one compressor or two? I remember fridge or AC compressors being weirdly heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

GlyphGryph posted:

You guys did right by me with the dishwasher recommendation, the Bosch is working great ( the user interface is a bit fiddly, but its functioning super well).

Does anyone have suggestions on chainsaws? I've got several trees that fell across the trails behind my house over the winter, and I want to get them cleared out so the neighbourhood can use them again.

I know nothing about chainsaws beyond my experience with this one, so I don't even know what I should be looking for really.

It all depends on what kind of wood you're cutting, how big the wood is, and how often you'll use it.

Not often? Get a 14-18" battery saw. Plug in a battery and go. Only thing you have to do is keep it oiled with bar oil. No carbs. No starting issues. No mixing fuel. No noise. Only downside is they're expensive, batteries are expensive, and you're limited to how many batteries you have. They usually have great torque and power. Generally buy whatever system you have batteries for. Ego, green works, DeWalt, Milwaukee etc. Some are better than others but the higher voltage saws (40-80v) are generally better than the 20v varieties.

Several times per year? Long running times? Hard wood? Are you processing firewood? Maybe look into a gas saw. If you aren't felling trees with a 30-40" waist, a 40-50cc 16-18" saw will be more than enough for most people. A lot of people get bigger saws than they need and deal with more weight and power than they need for their task. Heavy saws get tiring to use for long periods. Tired arms while running a chainsaw lead to accidents.

Stihl 251-291 are good homeowner saws, or Husqvarna 440-455. I've got a 440 and it's been a great little saw for my needs at home and in the mountains. I've had it for 5 years and it's never given me a single issue. Starts every time. I only run ethanol free premium gasoline in it.

Pro saws (Stihl 261, husky 550xp) are great for their magnesium bodies air filters etc, but they're pricey. They might only be 50cc saws but they'll get better performance and reliability than their homeowner counterparts.

I generally dislike the saws that use tool free bar tensioners. I feel more confident with bolts securing the bar vs an integrated plastic screw.

I like to always have a spare chain just in case. Buy a file that matched your chain and learn how to sharpen it. Don't put your chain into the dirt.

Get protective gear and use it. Chaps. Eye/face protection. Also don't chainsaw in Crocs.

They're great tools but they are incredibly dangerous, and not just from the chain. There are SO MANY fail videos on YouTube. Never combine a ladder and a chainsaw. A lot of people become very complacent running a saw. If you're cutting fallen trees, look at things like load and tension. Clear your work area.
https://youtu.be/l_WdFM6EFSU?si=Yyua5TwmHgl9CrPc

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

Mud daubers.

Go outside, get down under the window, and look up. Guarantee you have a gap there.

Think the crack in the window siding might be the culprit?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Thanks for the effort posts on the chainsaw, definitely feel a lot better informed now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God dammit.

This is my large downstairs window. About 6x5’

That’s a 2” gap allllllll the way along the bottom.in it I’m finding and coffee lid and old cigarette butts.

And dead ladybugs. Lots of dead ladybugs.

Edit: it’s also about 8” deep.

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 25, 2024

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

God dammit.

This is my large downstairs window. About 6x5’

That’s a 2” gap allllllll the way along the bottom.in it I’m finding and coffee lid and old cigarette butts.

And dead ladybugs. Lots of dead ladybugs.

At least it isn’t your phone breaking ?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

At least it isn’t your phone breaking ?

:lol: the 14 pro has treated me well. So far.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

GlyphGryph posted:

You guys did right by me with the dishwasher recommendation, the Bosch is working great ( the user interface is a bit fiddly, but its functioning super well).

Does anyone have suggestions on chainsaws? I've got several trees that fell across the trails behind my house over the winter, and I want to get them cleared out so the neighbourhood can use them again. Ive got an electric plug-in chainsaw that let me clear the closer ones, but it wont reach the rest unless I start daisy chaining abdurd numbers of extension cords - and even then, its a small light chainsaw that isnt really suited for this type of work.

I know nothing about chainsaws beyond my experience with this one, so I don't even know what I should be looking for really.

I bought the EGO CS1613 last year when it was on sale for $210. I have been very happy with it. I mostly do cleanup around the house but have also been doing some light trail clearing out in the woods.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

nwin posted:

Think the crack in the window siding might be the culprit?

Absolutely; that’s the front door. Caulk it up.

And that window gap downstairs is fine; I’d pack it with insulation before putting the stool back up.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PainterofCrap posted:

Absolutely; that’s the front door. Caulk it up.

And that window gap downstairs is fine; I’d pack it with insulation before putting the stool back up.

Thanks. I don’t think spray foam will work for an area this big though-do you?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I hate expanding spray foam. I would pack in batt insulation.

That having been said: this is precisely what it’s designed for. If you use it, sound the depth with the applicator tube and spray from as far in as you can get. Make one steady pass, then wait at least five minutes by the clock to see how far out it comes.

Have a can of acetone & disposable rags ready. Wear clothes you’re comfortable with losing forever, and latex gloves - at least two pairs - one over the other so you can whip off a fouled pair in a hurry.

Suiting up like this virtually guarantees that you will have a problem- and fouling- free application.

If you get a good fill, then wait until it cures to razor off any bulges.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Expanding foam is probably the better product but you are gonna need multiple cans for that space and that stuff isn't cheap. If you're pulling trim and insulating multiple windows, I'd probably just buy a roll of fiberglass insulation and stuff it in the really big gaps in lieu of foam. But still do foam in the smaller spaces.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Verman posted:

It all depends on what kind of wood you're cutting, how big the wood is, and how often you'll use it.

Not often? Get a 14-18" battery saw. Plug in a battery and go. Only thing you have to do is keep it oiled with bar oil. No carbs. No starting issues. No mixing fuel. No noise. Only downside is they're expensive, batteries are expensive, and you're limited to how many batteries you have. They usually have great torque and power. Generally buy whatever system you have batteries for. Ego, green works, DeWalt, Milwaukee etc. Some are better than others but the higher voltage saws (40-80v) are generally better than the 20v varieties.

I'm not a current chain saw owner, but growing up we had a corded 120v plug in chain saw in the 80s and 90s, usually attached to two 100' extension cords plugged end to end

The other thing I've seen is to undercut the limb, cut a ~0.5-1cm groove on the bottom side of the limb, to give the tree a place to make a clean break, THEN cut through the limb from the top. Otherwise you end up risking the limb breaking, then peeling a bunch of good healthy tree/tree bark as it falls down, like a banana :sotw:

If you're already invested in a battery system, then just get the battery powered one I guess

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sirotan posted:

Expanding foam is probably the better product but you are gonna need multiple cans for that space and that stuff isn't cheap. If you're pulling trim and insulating multiple windows, I'd probably just buy a roll of fiberglass insulation and stuff it in the really big gaps in lieu of foam. But still do foam in the smaller spaces.

You can also get the (solid, not in a can) sheet foam insulation. It's not s good as fiberglass but it's less of a pain in the rear end to deal with and easy to cut to shape. I wouldn't do a whole wall in it, but it's great for filling annoying gaps like that that are too big to really want to throw cans at it but small enough you'd have to cut up a batt.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

I hate expanding spray foam. I would pack in batt insulation.

That having been said: this is precisely what it’s designed for. If you use it, sound the depth with the applicator tube and spray from as far in as you can get. Make one steady pass, then wait at least five minutes by the clock to see how far out it comes.

Have a can of acetone & disposable rags ready. Wear clothes you’re comfortable with losing forever, and latex gloves - at least two pairs - one over the other so you can whip off a fouled pair in a hurry.

Suiting up like this virtually guarantees that you will have a problem- and fouling- free application.

If you get a good fill, then wait until it cures to razor off any bulges.

Homeowners: I'm sounding with an applicator tube before razoring off the bulges.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is a loving process. My wife was adamant in painting all the trim when we moved in and she got 80% of it done until she got a job.

So now I’m looking at all these pieces of trim that are painted but I know possibly have zero insulation in them.

Like the big window I pictured earlier (I got some fiberglass batting at jammed it in there and then put foam afterwards), that was a chore. And now I have to go back and fill in the holes and touch up that paint.

Just thinking that I have around 6 more windows to do if I really want to. I know 3 of them definitely feel cold in the winter, so it’s probably worth pulling it apart.

I miss the days of renting where I took a day off work and just rode my bike. Now it’s just filled of home projects. I went to Costco by myself though so that was cool.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

nwin posted:

This is a loving process. My wife was adamant in painting all the trim when we moved in and she got 80% of it done until she got a job.
So now I’m looking at all these pieces of trim that are painted but I know possibly have zero insulation in them.

It'll be worth it, and DIY will prob be easier than hiring once you've gotten a rhythm. You then get to mention for at least 10 years how much warmer it feels near the windows to your wife, who will gleam with admiration at hour handiness. Or be annoyed the third time you mention it IDK your relationship.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Today was housekeeping day aka the #1 best investment we make in our home. She cleans 10am - 3pm; with our schedule as parents, DIY deep cleaning would be 10pm - 3am with lesser results.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

Today was housekeeping day aka the #1 best investment we make in our home. She cleans 10am - 3pm; with our schedule as parents, DIY deep cleaning would be 10pm - 3am with lesser results.

Is that affordable where you are? Housekeeping services around me run $250-$350 per cleaning, depending on what you ask for. It feels like a ton of money for 3-5 hours. I just assumed (at least in the SF bay area) it's a rich people only sort of thing, like having someone wash your windows.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Im not going to lie, having someone come and clean our house once a month for $150 has been amazing. We don't have a big house (1200 sq ft 3 bd 2 b) but she does a great job and its instantly noticeable when I walk in. My wife and I are pretty clean already but she cleaned stuff that I never even realized was dirty. And agreed, when my wife and I clean i seems to take both of us a few hours to do it. Thats a weekend day ruined. Our cleaning woman comes during the week and spends about 2 hours at our house. We pay by the hour so it varies depending on how much she cleans. Its definitely a privilege I never grew up with but holy poo poo it feels nice.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

Is that affordable where you are? Housekeeping services around me run $250-$350 per cleaning, depending on what you ask for. It feels like a ton of money for 3-5 hours. I just assumed (at least in the SF bay area) it's a rich people only sort of thing, like having someone wash your windows.

Ours is $250 per month. She does a standard clean each time and rotates a deep dive focus area.

It’s not a forever thing but we get a ton of value out of it right now. Coordinating all cleaning tasks with two young kids running around is an exercise in lost sleep, lost weekends, or grandparent babysitting time that could be used on a night out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cleaning service makes my wife Very Happy I don't ask what it costs and she doesn't tell me

It also helps with the rhythm of the house and helps reset the "baseline" of cleanliness and order. For us, once the house reaches a certain level of chaos, things go off the deep end very quickly

We have the same ladies as the neighbors across the street, they show up weekly or twice monthly (I forget) for about 60-90 min

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 26, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Getting a cleaner in once a month was a lifesaver back when I was working absurdly long hours for half a year with a new kid. Felt like getting a big chunk of my life back.

No way I could justify the cost now, but at the time it was totally worth it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have a really nice couple who will clean the house in a pinch if I just cannot make it happen, but that's literally less than once a year. If I get ~3 chores done a day, everything stays up to speed and the kids and roommates are happy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I bought a battery-powered Ego chainsaw, it's been an excellent purchase. I bring it out three or four times per year, check that it has oil, slap a battery in it and away we go. Excellent tool to have around and I'm glad that I don't have to deal with gasoline whenever I need to use it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Are those battery powered chainsaws good enough to take down and break up a small tree? Figure ~15 feet tall with a trunk that's ~8-10 inches at the base and branches out into a broad crown about 3.5 feet off the ground. Average branch width is probably 2-3 inches with two big branch/trunk forks that are about 4 inches where I"d need to cut them. The thing is dead as poo poo, I can pull huge branches off by hand, and really I just need to get it down and broken up so I can do something else with that patch of yard.

I want to emphasize that it's physically impossible for this tree to hit any structure.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

nwin posted:

I miss the days of renting where I took a day off work and just rode my bike. Now it’s just filled of home projects.
This hits home for sure!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are those battery powered chainsaws good enough to take down and break up a small tree? Figure ~15 feet tall with a trunk that's ~8-10 inches at the base and branches out into a broad crown about 3.5 feet off the ground. Average branch width is probably 2-3 inches with two big branch/trunk forks that are about 4 inches where I"d need to cut them. The thing is dead as poo poo, I can pull huge branches off by hand, and really I just need to get it down and broken up so I can do something else with that patch of yard.

I want to emphasize that it's physically impossible for this tree to hit any structure.

If you have a sufficient sized one, sure. They work great just not long - that's the battery trade off. Your brances are no problem and what I would use my little one for (8" bar?). The actual trunk is pushing it and would require knowing how to safely cut a trunk larger than your bar. It's do-able but I'd take out a larger (gas) saw simply because I have one available. A larger battery of plug in electric would take it down no problem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

If you have a sufficient sized one, sure. They work great just not long - that's the battery trade off. Your brances are no problem and what I would use my little one for (8" bar?). The actual trunk is pushing it and would require knowing how to safely cut a trunk larger than your bar. It's do-able but I'd take out a larger (gas) saw simply because I have one available. A larger battery of plug in electric would take it down no problem.

Cool, thanks. I'll look into a larger battery one. Frankly I might just leave the stump 3 feet above ground for now and/or hire someone to pull it. It's more or less in an impossible position to get a vehicle so it will need to be done by hand, and I don't look forward to hacking at roots enough to get it to tip.

I'm trying to avoid gas just because I don't have any other gas appliances and don't want to gently caress with storing it. The last gas thing was a hedge trimmer that I gave away a few years ago, and I really don't miss any of that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm trying to avoid gas just because I don't have any other gas appliances and don't want to gently caress with storing it. The last gas thing was a hedge trimmer that I gave away a few years ago, and I really don't miss any of that.

Occasional use by homeowners stuff is absoutely thew sweet spot for batteries. You'll rarely suffer from it not running long enough and you aren't dealing with the storage and maintenance concerns of gas equipment (especially in the age of ethanol gas). You're not gonna see pros switching to battery electric saws and trimmers any time soon, but that's a very different application.......and most of the bucket truck based guys are now running hydraulic saws anyway which can theoretically be repowered/hybridized when battery tech makes it feasible.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I would have no issue doing this with my EGO 16" chainsaw. Depending on the number of cuts you may need to recharge the battery at some point in the process. I can usually get an hour or two out of my battery, but I'm not cutting continuously, it's a lot of walking around, blocking up the deadfall, and then moving the pieces after they are cut.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
8-10" diameter trunk is also the kind of thing that you can cut with a handsaw. It'll take you a good half hour at least, but it's doable. Just look at it as getting in your cardio for the day.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
+1 for battery powered chainsaws -- several years ago I swapped out my older craftsman 4 stroke with a Makita 36v (18v X2) 16" saw, and it has been more than capable for clearing fallen trees, and even felling and sectioning a 3' trunk on a dead ash tree.

Goes without saying, but main thing is just to be safe. Understand how to properly cut, and always use chaps, ppe, and felling wedges. And speaking of wedges, splitting wedges are the bees knees :black101:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

8-10" diameter trunk is also the kind of thing that you can cut with a handsaw. It'll take you a good half hour at least, but it's doable. Just look at it as getting in your cardio for the day.

You walk 2 miles to get groceries or you can drive your car. Both are doable.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just cut off a prob 6-7" diameter trunk from a tree with this and it took me maybe 3min of effort:

I keep thinking I should get an EGO chainsaw but this 'samurai' saw is sharp as gently caress and great for tree work within arm's reach. Highly recommended.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

You walk 2 miles to get groceries or you can drive your car. Both are doable.

I'm just saying that if you don't have and don't really want a large chainsaw, there's an unpowered option. In your analogy, instead of buying a car to get groceries, you could get a bike. Of course, if you do have a big chainsaw, go ahead and use it.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The first time I used a hand pruning saw I was legitimately surprised at how fast it was. I wasn't counting but a 3" branch felt like it only took 4 strokes.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm just saying that if you don't have and don't really want a large chainsaw, there's an unpowered option. In your analogy, instead of buying a car to get groceries, you could get a bike. Of course, if you do have a big chainsaw, go ahead and use it.

esquilax posted:

The first time I used a hand pruning saw I was legitimately surprised at how fast it was. I wasn't counting but a 3" branch felt like it only took 4 strokes.

I jest but this is my experience too. Theres been times where a hacksaw got through sheet metal faster than I could find the blade and cord for a sawzall. That said...I own like 8 different power saws, primarily to attract a mate. I leave them out casually before a first date for Red Green reasons.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 26, 2024

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

CarForumPoster posted:

I jest but this is my experience too. Theres been times where a hacksaw got through sheet metal faster than I could find the blade and cord for a sawzall. That said...I own like 8 different power saws, primarily to attract a mate. I leave them out casually before a first date for Red Green reasons.

If the :females: don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have the $7 harbor freight folding version of that manual branch lopper. It's green and says 7TPI which I assume to mean 7 teeth per inch

We had a bunch of thick woody bushes on the corner that were a hazard to navigation/probable legal liability, most were 1" but the "trunk" on a few were 3" and it went right through them despite being effectively hardwood

CarForumPoster posted:

Homeowners: I own like 8 different power saws, primarily to attract a mate.

New thread title?