Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Harald posted:

Here's my favorite work of fantasy, op

I think that's 28 pages short of being a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

guys the classics are for posers who want to look smart

also nirvana and the beatles suck, and 2001 is boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90AiXO1pAiA

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
do you think when the electricity make frankenstien monster come back to life that he had a boner?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

radiatinglines posted:

Did you just loving call Nirvana the classics?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Did you just loving call Nirvana the classics?

holy gently caress you are dense

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Nooner posted:

do you think when the electricity make frankenstien monster come back to life that he had a boner?

Most definitely. It was written by a 19 year old girl. What else do you think she had on her mind?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Windows 98 posted:

Most definitely. It was written by a 19 year old girl. What else do you think she had on her mind?

Women don't like boners, silly.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Women don't like boners, silly.

You're married. According to my co-worker (an old Iranian guy), the moment you put the ring on her finger, then they stop liking boners.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

radiatinglines posted:

2001 is dumb bullshit that's message is "gently caress technology and the moon landing was fake"

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Applewhite posted:

or do you think that if it hadn't been LotR, every fantasy novel would be copying some other, inferior work, and the genre would be even worse off?
this one

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Applewhite posted:

do you think that if it hadn't been LotR, every fantasy novel would be copying some other, inferior work, and the genre would be even worse off?

Absolutely, people would just have copied something else that was popular. If the genre was bargain-basement Robert E. Howard imitators we would be no better off.

Well, maybe we would. Metal about Conan tends to be better than metal about lord of the rings.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think we would all be better off if all those human being elves werent a staple of fantasy fiction. elves are so bad.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Nah. Western Fantasy would be better off with less hack writers who are not creative. That's the real issue

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I think more fantasy guys should have orcs but also super orcs they are often missing from modern fantasy

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Some scathing criticism in here. I too think everything humanity has ever produced is bad and every time entertainment of any sort comes into my field of view I spend the length of it vomiting and shaking with rage that some baby dared to create something.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I like turtles

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RedMage129 posted:

Some scathing criticism in here. I too think everything humanity has ever produced is bad and every time entertainment of any sort comes into my field of view I spend the length of it vomiting and shaking with rage that some baby dared to create something.

same, but with the exception of anime

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Serious Frolicking posted:

i think we would all be better off if all those human being elves werent a staple of fantasy fiction. elves are so bad.

most things people think they know about elves are marketing gimmicks done by Peter Fatson to distinguish the races further, appeal to girls, and even different political parties

everyone here should absolutely right now go read 'the children of hurin' which is the only middle-earth book where tolkien talks about loving and regret and bloody told u i was hardcore kind of poo poo

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Cuz even though I got my internet hooked up in my new house last night, my wife has threatened to wallop me with a rolling pin if I draw anything while there's still boxes to unpack.

There's a really great setup in your post for a crude joke, but I respect you too much to make it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

extra stout posted:

most things people think they know about elves are marketing gimmicks done by Peter Fatson to distinguish the races further, appeal to girls, and even different political parties

everyone here should absolutely right now go read 'the children of hurin' which is the only middle-earth book where tolkien talks about loving and regret and bloody told u i was hardcore kind of poo poo

i havent read that, actually. does it have a bunch of lovely songs? even though i skim past those their existence still offends me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Serious Frolicking posted:

i havent read that, actually. does it have a bunch of lovely songs? even though i skim past those their existence still offends me.

Every friggin' fantasy novelist throws in songs for some reason. I'm reading The Dragonbone Chair right now and it is chockablock full of songs.

Hogge Wild posted:

There's a really great setup in your post for a crude joke, but I respect you too much to make it.

I respect your mom's box also, and would never pack it with a rolling pin.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Who wants to see my semenal work

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

If lotr was never published, would fantasy be as popular as it is today? would you have cared about fantasy at all?

ps: suck my balls!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

If lotr was never published, would fantasy be as popular as it is today? would you have cared about fantasy at all?

ps: suck my balls!

Everyone would be reading Westerns instead and nerd conventions would smell even more like barnyards than they already do.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

No it's called Frankenstein. It's about Dr. Frankenstein, his monster is just a character in it.

But Frankenstein's Monster wasn't the real monster of the story! Frankenstein was.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

If Gene Wolfe hadda been born 100 years earlier fantasy would have been about huge tit flesh constructs and sea giants

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

bitmap posted:

huge tit flesh constructs

Sounds pretty up your street, APPLEWHITE

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Celluloid Sam posted:

I like turtles

No Tolkien no turtles. That's just how it is son.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bitmap posted:

Sounds pretty up your street, APPLEWHITE

It does at that.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Applewhite posted:

It does at that.

Let's work on a pitch together, I'll animate

naem
May 29, 2011

Elfs are real and strong and my freinds

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bitmap posted:

Let's work on a pitch together, I'll animate

I had a real Cartoon Network pitch idea about a Tolkien inspired elf. It's called "High School Elf" and it would be a thick line geometric Cartoon (think Total Drama Island or Grojband) about an elf who was switched as a baby to live with a human family in the suburbs. It's like Teenage Robot but fantasy instead of Sci-Fi.
Her human sister is a troublemaker tomboy and her love interest (unrequited pursuer) is the normal looking nerd in the nerd club.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I remember years ago hearing about Blizzard bolting a Disney theme park version of medieval China on to their purestrain Western fantasy-derived World of Warcraft, and people who spoke up and said "this doesn't make any loving sense" were shouted down as racists

in short defying the Western fantasy tradition is how you get President Donald Trump

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Applewhite posted:

I had a real Cartoon Network pitch idea about a Tolkien inspired elf. It's called "High School Elf" and it would be a thick line geometric Cartoon (think Total Drama Island or Grojband) about an elf who was switched as a baby to live with a human family in the suburbs. It's like Teenage Robot but fantasy instead of Sci-Fi.
Her human sister is a troublemaker tomboy and her love interest (unrequited pursuer) is the normal looking nerd in the nerd club.

The elf has huge, oiled tits. Let's make it happen.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Conan is by far the best fantasy series, so the op continues to be the best poster in this forum. What's your favorite Conan story, Apples
?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bitmap posted:

The elf has huge, oiled tits. Let's make it happen.

Can you draw like Stoked or 6Teen? I was thinking that since thick line is out of style these days to do it more like those.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I can't imagine huge oiled tits in the 6teen art style

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Can you draw like Stoked or 6Teen? I was thinking that since thick line is out of style these days to do it more like those.

I can draw like anything it's my livelihood let's do it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Booblord Zagats posted:

Conan is by far the best fantasy series, so the op continues to be the best poster in this forum. What's your favorite Conan story, Apples
?

I'd say The Scarlet Citadel. The line "The Yogtha's roots are set in Hell" made me fall in love with the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

My favorite fantasy series is Conan.

• Locked thread