Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I saw this movie in theatres and thought it was so-so, but watching it now I rralize that it holds up pretty well. It avoids a lot of era tropes, the CG is passable and surprisingly well done, and the acting is better than a Shamalay movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I remember really liking it when it first came out because it was my first big disaster movie. It had some nice touches but even now I can remember it was SUPER generic, right down to the Evil Tornado Chasers with their expensive trucks and impersonal square tornado-device, compared to the Heroic Tornado Chasers with their battered old trucks and nice spherical ones they make work using good old fashioned DIY.

Also I remember a dude got fukkin impaled with some rebar, that's always fun to watch.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also I think the first time 'CGI farm animal flies by window as people gawp' was used, maybe?

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Yup, "cow."

Really, the CG in this is better than the original Star Wars re-make CG, and they did it on a much lesser budget. I get what your saying about the tropes though. Dunno why I missed them. On balance I enjoy this more than Bourne Movie X or the like.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
The bond Helen Hunt forges with the lovable hardscrable mother figure touches. All these characters are Trump voters now, except for P.S. Hoffman who is dead.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Lol they get clotheslined By a tanker truck just like Terminator gently caress this I'm going to bed.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What's a Shamalay movie?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I always liked Twister and thought it got a bad rap. In some ways it's more amusement park thrillride than a real film (and it was THE quintessential "not as good on video as it is in the theater" movie) but it's a fun movie with likable characters, and the acting is pretty good for this type of movie.

Not all the effects hold up today but there are still some shots of that last tornado that are startlingly convincing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea if you saw Twister in a theatre it was very entertaining. Watching it now is still a decent experience because its has a surprisingly good cast. Aside from Hunt and Paxton its got one of Hoffman's most forgotten roles, and Cary Elwes plays a great villain. Jami Gertz, who plays the fiancé, is also really good in it.

It seems to be often held up as an example of the CGI excesses of the time but its way more watchable today than something like The Day After Tomorrow, which was made eight years later.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bill Paxtons character is kind of a piece of poo poo throughout that entire movie and if it wasn't for the scooby gang you would have no one to root for except the cow.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I watched this movie alot when I was five.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

It gets goofy at some points, but it has heart. It's a little self aware, but earnestly so. And goddamn do I love all those helicopter shots of their science convoy speeding along some crappy road as the music swells.

I wasn't surprised to learn that Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park, Andromeda Strain) co-wrote this - it's got that techno-thriller vibe that was his hallmark.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The best part is the evil storm chaser team that get's loving destroyed.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Me and certain family members who watched this WAY too many times when we were young still quote it sometimes.

"The suck zone. It's where the twister... SUCKS you up!"

"I've gotta go... we've got cows!"

"We gotta get off of this road..."

"Liability only..."

"My God, who ARE these people?!"

"You've never seen it miss this house. And miss that house. And come after you!"

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Fun fact: Twister is a remake of His Girl Friday.

I'm not going to explain, because I haven't seen a His Girl Friday.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just remember Helen Hunt showering with dish soap or something because they didn't have shampoo.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK6PiJCw_Jg

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Is this the one where they mistake the sound of a twister with that of a toy of some sorts, or am I confusing my twister movies?

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Pierson posted:

Also I think the first time 'CGI farm animal flies by window as people gawp' was used, maybe?
Not CGI but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhQySxqSANU&t=154s

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea if you saw Twister in a theatre it was very entertaining. Watching it now is still a decent experience because its has a surprisingly good cast. Aside from Hunt and Paxton its got one of Hoffman's most forgotten roles, and Cary Elwes plays a great villain. Jami Gertz, who plays the fiancé, is also really good in it.

It seems to be often held up as an example of the CGI excesses of the time but its way more watchable today than something like The Day After Tomorrow, which was made eight years later.

No love for Alan Ruck?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Yaws posted:

The best part is the evil storm chaser team that get's loving destroyed.

The best part was the tornado tearing through The Shining playing at the drive-in with the creepy music leading up to it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Twister is loving great and has always been loving great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I only rewatched this because AMC decided this was the movie it was gonna play before it's money grab series Fear the Walking dead on Sundays. It has aged bad, one dreaded nature hazard movies of the 90s. And to think of how much Pepsi must of paid.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Know what was cool? The Twister attraction they used to have at Universal Studios. I remember that slightly more than I remember the movie cause I was 5 when it came out.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We'll take all your tornado research and make ourselves billionaires! - Evil corporate tornado chasers

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anyone remember the Fox TV rip-off Tornado! starring Bruce Campbell?

... for some reason I do

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

... for some reason I do

Holy poo poo, I thought I hallucinated this.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

david_a posted:

... for some reason I do

God the things one forgets that then come flooding back decades later.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

david_a posted:

... for some reason I do

The man who wrote that was also a writer on Gladiator, Star Trek: Nemesis, and Skyfall. :stare:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The man who wrote that was also a writer on Gladiator, Star Trek: Nemesis, and Skyfall. :stare:

Work is work.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

lizardman posted:

Me and certain family members who watched this WAY too many times when we were young still quote it sometimes.

"The suck zone. It's where the twister... SUCKS you up!"

"I've gotta go... we've got cows!"

"We gotta get off of this road..."

"Liability only..."

"My God, who ARE these people?!"

"You've never seen it miss this house. And miss that house. And come after you!"

The lines that got quoted to death with my family were:
"That's a lot of beef. Where'd you get all that beef?"
"Did you see my cows out front?"
"No...?"

and

"YOU GOTTA STOP LIVING IN THE PAST. AND LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. ME, JO."

Of course, the I Know What You Did Last Summer were another family staple, so maybe we had weird taste.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

... for some reason I do

Yeah, I sure do, this was between when I watched The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. and discovering Bruce Campbell as a B-Movie favorite.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

"YOU GOTTA STOP LIVING IN THE PAST. AND LOOK AT WHAT YOU HAVE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. ME, JO."

Of course, the I Know What You Did Last Summer were another family staple, so maybe we had weird taste.

Bill Paxton really is a talented actor.

No line delivered by Bill Paxton could ever be as bad as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAx8ead1eCk

Anna Faris does a parody of it in Scary movie, but its not even a parody really because she does a better job with the same line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr0DtFqcrNg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I sure do, this was between when I watched The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. and discovering Bruce Campbell as a B-Movie favorite.

I would've sworn up and down this was a Brisco County ep, like one of those Xena or Hercules episodes where for some reason they're all in the 90's and they're officemates or something.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Coffee And Pie posted:

Haha someone should start a thread for random movies that we quote with friends and family. Just tell me that you all always open your arms wide and thrust out your chest when you holler "What are you waiting for?!"

Twister really does have some good lines, though. It's underrated in the quote-ability department.

"She did not marry your penis."

"When you told me you chased tornadoes, I thought it was a metaphor."

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would like to know under what context you guys use this one.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Fun fact: Twister is a remake of His Girl Friday.

I'm not going to explain, because I haven't seen a His Girl Friday.

His Girl Friday is a really good movie. I haven't seen Twister in probably 18+ years but I liked it well enough when I was younger

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I try to watch Twister once every summer, it was just one of those movies I watched over and over as a kid. It holds up in the sense that it's extremely watchable. It was also very capably made, albeit by a director who didn't give a poo poo about his actors. This paragraph from wiki cracks me up:

wiki posted:

Halfway through filming both Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt were temporarily blinded by bright electronic lamps used to get the exposure down to make the sky behind the two actors look dark and stormy. Paxton remembers that "these things literally sunburned our eyeballs. I got back to my room, I couldn't see".[3] To solve the problem, a Plexiglas filter was placed in front of the beams. The actors took eye drops and wore special glasses for a few days to recuperate. After filming in a particularly unsanitary ditch, Hunt and Paxton had to have hepatitis shots.

Twister also features a great scene where a truck drives through a house. It's preceded by my personal favorite line in the movie. Bill Paxton, instead of swerving or slowing down to miss the house, yells, "I THINK WE'RE GOING IN!" and drives right through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uclmrozLnFs

lizardman posted:

Haha someone should start a thread for random movies that we quote with friends and family. Just tell me that you all always open your arms wide and thrust out your chest when you holler "What are you waiting for?!"

My family had a handful of these, too - Home Alone, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and Hook were the real heavy hitters. My favorite quote from Hook is when Rufio tells Peter, "You're dead, jolly man" but it comes out, "you're dead, jolledman."

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Seaniqua posted:

Twister also features a great scene where a truck drives through a house. It's preceded by my personal favorite line in the movie. Bill Paxton, instead of swerving or slowing down to miss the house, yells, "I THINK WE'RE GOING IN!" and drives right through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uclmrozLnFs

It's no wonder that house blew away, its walls had no studs and were made of balsa wood.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

caiman posted:

It's no wonder that house blew away, its walls had no studs and were made of balsa wood.

poo poo gets crazy in a tornado - an egg can go right through a light pole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've only seen this once for an Atmospheric Sciences class in college (severe + hazardous weather, it was actually pretty interesting) but the prof liked to show it at the end of the semester so he could call out all the factual inaccuracies about tornadoes throughout (and all the "don't do that. never do that. they're doing the complete wrong thing here"). He said there were about 240 or so. He also said it was his most favorite movie ever. It was a lot cheesier than I expected, seeing it in 2008.

• Locked thread