Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Dustinator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seaniqua posted:

I try to watch Twister once every summer, it was just one of those movies I watched over and over as a kid. It holds up in the sense that it's extremely watchable. It was also very capably made, albeit by a director who didn't give a poo poo about his actors. This paragraph from wiki cracks me up:

Twister also features a great scene where a truck drives through a house. It's preceded by my personal favorite line in the movie. Bill Paxton, instead of swerving or slowing down to miss the house, yells, "I THINK WE'RE GOING IN!" and drives right through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uclmrozLnFs

"I THINK WE'RE GOING IN" is made complete with Helen Hunt's "AaaaAAAHH" right after.

Similarly, earlier in the same scene Helen Hunt's panicked "Debris! Dusty, we have debris!" is perfectly complimented with Bill Paxton's delivery of "Debris!" immediately afterward.

God I love this movie.

Seaniqua posted:

My family had a handful of these, too - Home Alone, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and Hook were the real heavy hitters. My favorite quote from Hook is when Rufio tells Peter, "You're dead, jolly man" but it comes out, "you're dead, jolledman."

Oh man, Home Alone. "Kevin, you're what the French call, les incompetent!"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Look what you did, ya little JERK

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Why the Hell would you buy a brand new $30,000+ truck and get liability only insurance? You're a Goddamn idiot, Bill Paxton.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Why the Hell would you buy a brand new $30,000+ truck and get liability only insurance? You're a Goddamn idiot, Bill Paxton.

I thought this for the longest time, but my brother pointed out to me that the Paxton character is most likely just lying in that scene - in every state I know of you can't buy a new car with only liability coverage. Helen Hunt responds, "liability only..." in a way that could be read as skeptical, like she's calling his bluff. It's probably how she gets Paxton to acquiesce to using his truck.

It's a small thing, but it's not every day I see a movie scene in a whole different light even after many years and viewings later.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I remember when I was a kid, the last tornado they get caught in was like unambiguously like a villain. Like if not an actively malicious force, at least on the level of the shark from Jaws.

Is that because of the movie or because I was eight?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timeless Appeal posted:

I remember when I was a kid, the last tornado they get caught in was like unambiguously like a villain. Like if not an actively malicious force, at least on the level of the shark from Jaws.

Little of column A, little of column B.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Electromax posted:

I've only seen this once for an Atmospheric Sciences class in college (severe + hazardous weather, it was actually pretty interesting) but the prof liked to show it at the end of the semester so he could call out all the factual inaccuracies about tornadoes throughout (and all the "don't do that. never do that. they're doing the complete wrong thing here"). He said there were about 240 or so. He also said it was his most favorite movie ever. It was a lot cheesier than I expected, seeing it in 2008.

Reminds me of how on the first day my Archaeology teacher gave us the spiel about how it was nothing like Indiana Jones and Jones is in fact a bad archeologist, then I rewatched the movies toward the end and pointed out to him that in Jones' classes he actually made basically the same points as he did on that first day about how archaeology isn't glamorous adventure and done mostly in a library and whatnot. HE DOESN'T PRACTICE WHAT HE PREACHES the professor shouted when I showed him the clip.

I also got my native-Japanese language teacher to watch The Last Samurai and admit it was a really good movie when she had refused to watch it on principal of it staring a white guy as a samurai.

Basically I'm saying everyone should watch movies with their college professors.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

No you were absolutely right as a kid, the movie treats the F-5 as the villain/monster of the story. Helen Hunt's character has been haunted by her last encounter with one, and they treat the new F-5 as if its like the same tornado coming back to finish the job. It plays almost like a revenge story.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

No you were absolutely right as a kid, the movie treats the F-5 as the villain/monster of the story. Helen Hunt's character has been haunted by her last encounter with one, and they treat the new F-5 as if its like the same tornado coming back to finish the job. It plays almost like a revenge story.

I forgot about that.

This movie is dumb as hell

Yaws fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 18, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

I never really saw it that way. I mean the whole moral of the movie is that Jo had to accept that life, nature and tragedy are all pretty random sometimes and there's only so much you can do to predict and prevent it lest you go mad and lose what you already have in the process. It wouldn't make sense for it to suddenly be like, "oh no wait that bigass tornado really is a sentient son of a bitch that is personally out to get YOU."

I'll admit the tornado does tend to turn in the characters' direction quite a bit but I just figure it's just the film wanting to ratchet up the tension.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They watched in a class one time in like, middle school, don't remember the circumstances. Anyways I remember the beginning, they have a big dramatic moment where the family is trying to get into the shelter before the Twister gets 'em. You think the dog is going to get bite the bullet, but since its a Hollywood movie, they manage to save it just in time. But then the dad dies. I remember that because there was a moment of reverent silence but I was like "At least the dog's okay" and got a laugh. I was loving baller kid is what I'm saying.

Also a pretty similar scene happens in Independence Day when LA is destroyed by advanced alien technology, killing tens of millions, but the family dog leaps to safety at the last moment so its okay. Don't want the movie to be too grim, after all.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

TrixRabbi posted:

Know what was cool? The Twister attraction they used to have at Universal Studios. I remember that slightly more than I remember the movie cause I was 5 when it came out.

It is now being replaced by a....Jimmy Fallon ride. Dead serious.

Also Twister is great and an absolute classic in my household. The part where the dudes head gets sliced by the flying hubcap is practically seared into my mind.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Punc posted:

Is this the one where they mistake the sound of a twister with that of a toy of some sorts, or am I confusing my twister movies?

That's from Night of the Twisters. A pretty terrible tv movie that manages to hit every early 90s young adult fiction checkbox.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

0 rows returned posted:

That's from Night of the Twisters. A pretty terrible tv movie that manages to hit every early 90s young adult fiction checkbox.

Night of the Twisters was a badass book when I was in 4th grade.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

AccountSupervisor posted:

Also Twister is great and an absolute classic in my household. The part where the dudes head gets sliced by the flying hubcap is practically seared into my mind.

You mean Philip Seymour Hoffman? My mind was blown when I realized he was in this movie a couple of years ago.

That scene shocked me as a kid. Was completely unexpecting it, and it happens so fast.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
All I'm saying is don't fold the maps, r-r-roll the maps.

Where are we? This is like Bob's Road.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The only thing I remember from this movie is that some guy gets grazed with a circular saw blade and it made his head bleed and for some reason it really terrified me. Gotta watch it again since I love B. Paxton.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Bill Paxton was in the 3rd highest-grossing movie of 1994, the 3rd highest-grossing movie of 1995, the 2nd highest-grossing movie of 1996, and the highest-grossing movie of 1997.

It's clear that the '90s was the Paxton Decade.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Bill Paxton was in the 3rd highest-grossing movie of 1994, the 3rd highest-grossing movie of 1995, the 2nd highest-grossing movie of 1996, and the highest-grossing movie of 1997 all time.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I would not object to a Keaton-like resurgence of Bill Paxton.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Bill Paxton is amazing in Twister, but his best role by far is Coconut Pete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJgbWxh7DX4

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It took me a long time to accept PSH as anything but a Dusty character, because that was my first experience with him.

I also remember being 13 and thinking Holly Hunt in a white tank top was awesome. Which is kinda weird because she's not sexualized at all.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

This movie just turned 20 a few days ago. One of my faves as a kid. Would kill for them to bring it back to theaters for like a week. I was 5 when I saw it and still remember how loving loud it was in theaters.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
One note of distinction for this movie: it was the first DVD. Like, ever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember Best Buy played this movie for about a decade to showcase sound systems.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
You guys encouraged me to add the blu-ray to my amazon wishlist thanks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Coffee And Pie posted:

One note of distinction for this movie: it was the first DVD. Like, ever.

It was the last feature film released on HDDVD in the US. If not for anime, it would have both started DVD and finished HDDVD.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

We'll take all your tornado research and make ourselves billionaires! - Evil corporate tornado chasers

That's how old Mr. Sachs made his first million.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Twister features Oklahoma legend Gary England and thus, owns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"This gravy's so good, it's practically in its own food group" still gets quoted around the dinner table from time to time

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
FOOOOD

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
RED MEAT, WE CRAVE SUSTENANCE

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Just rewatched this and really enjoyed it.

Also think it's funny how they dish on the one rival dude for being a corporate sellout who turned in his cred for a sponsorship. That's 90's as gently caress. Yeah man that scientist isn't doing it strictly for LOVE OF THE TORNADO GAME, he's trying to get some of that sweet tornado capital.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

F-FEWWWWD

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Coffee coffee coffee java capaCHEEno...

no wait dante's peak.

Anyway, the other day I am about to have my kid watch The Shining for the first time in his life. He asked what the movie was about. I told him it was the movie playing during the drive-in scene in Twister. He said "Oh yeah we gotta watch that then."

I didn't tell him the real moral of the stroy was to see what happens when children are disobedient and need correction. But now he knows.

He knows.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember Best Buy played this movie for about a decade to showcase sound systems.

I remember this. Before Twister it was the crane scene from The Abyss at my local Best Buy.

"God Meg you got a lot of beef. Where'd you get all this beef?"
"Did you see my cows out front?"
"No?"
Ooooooh

This was one of my favorite films as a kid. I remember the cinematography being really hyped in its day, and I think it still looks pretty good. It had a nice soundtrack too.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Saw this in the theaters when I was like 13. We had a really bad thunderstorm that night. I slept in the basement...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I vaguely remember another tornado movie around this time but literally the only scene I remember are two characters caught in the wind and one gets their throat cut by flying debris and the other gets stabbed through the neck with a piece of straw (???).

And oddly enough the only scene I remember from Twister are the two storm chasers who get impaled by flying wood then have their truck thrown through the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Bill Paxton was in the 3rd highest-grossing movie of 1994, the 3rd highest-grossing movie of 1995, the 2nd highest-grossing movie of 1996, and the highest-grossing movie of 1997.

Bill Paxton has had an odd career arc. For a guy who's been in a ton of high-profile movies he's never really registered as a megastar, but you've definitely seen him in movies and you definitely remember his parts in them. I guess he's like the less nerdy Jeff Goldblum, in that respect.

• Locked thread