Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

There was a device that looked an awful like an ipad in "2001: A Space Odyssey". I don't think TOS had them but not sure.

e-beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big rear end On Fire posted:

There was a device that looked an awful like an ipad in "2001: A Space Odyssey". I don't think TOS had them but not sure.

e-beaten

TOS had devices intended to be electronic clipboards which in the concept could browse through documents and show moving images but for practical reasons they were never really able to show them as such.

Science fiction novels had had the idea of portable touch/gesture controlled personal computers for a while before that, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 17, 2024

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

Did staar trek invent the concept of iPads?

Yes, or at least popularized the concept to the people. Among several other things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Glanced through 2001 just now. Now I wonder if it was the first use of 'here's a fuzzy 3D volumetric spinning rendering of the device you're working on' computer UI. While they're working on the AE-35

https://i.imgur.com/uTsMqTL.mp4

(I think they created it by filming the prop with an x-ray camera)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I love all the real world objects and brands “but futuristic” that 2001 had. Really helped sell the realism. Like a space station having a Hilton and a Howard Johnsons, just tickles me pink

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Watched the VOY episodes "Workforce Pt 1/2" recently, and besides being yet another Voyager episode that's a retread of a TNG one (but memory wiped to work at a factory instead of fight a war,) it's almost quaint is how 90's it is.

"Oh man, look at all these jobs! Just super-fantastic jobs in STEM! Everywhere! There's actually too many jobs! We gotta get all these people into the amazing Tech jobs!"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I like it when whenever Janeway starts acting crazy and mean.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

I love all the real world objects and brands “but futuristic” that 2001 had. Really helped sell the realism. Like a space station having a Hilton and a Howard Johnsons, just tickles me pink

Bring back Pan Am when orbital flight becomes practical for everyone, imho

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Pan Am trademark's gotten batted around in some weird ways and is currently owned by CSX railway freight, of all things.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

TheKingslayer posted:

I like it when whenever Janeway starts acting crazy and mean.

She seems like a real jerk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

They had tablets in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The IBM Tele Pad.

Although I'm not sure we ever saw them used them that interactively or as touchscreens, we just saw a bit where they watched videos and read the news on them. They faked 'em with a cutout in the table underneath where they were sitting to project onto it.

The novel describes it as essentially a dedicated web browser for news sites, perhaps even with something analogous to tabbed browsing:

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke posted:

When he tired of official reports and memoranda and minutes, he would plug his foolscap-sized Newspad into the ship's information circuit and scan the latest reports from Earth. One by one he would conjure up the world's major electronic papers; he knew the codes of the more important ones by heart, and had no need to consult the list on the back of his pad. Switching to the display unit's short-term memory, he would hold the front page while he quickly searched the headlines and noted the items that interested him.

Each had its own two-digit reference; when he punched that, the postage-stamp-sized rectangle would expand until it neatly filled the screen and he could read it with comfort. When he had finished, he would flash back to the complete page and select a new subject for detailed examination.

Floyd sometimes wondered if the Newspad, and the fantastic technology behind it, was the last word in man's quest for perfect communications. Here he was, far out in space, speeding away from Earth at thousands of miles an hour, yet in a few milliseconds he could see the headlines of any newspaper he pleased. (That very word "newspaper," of course, was an anachronistic hangover into the age of electronics.) The text was updated automatically on every hour; even if one read only the English versions, one could spend an entire lifetime doing nothing but absorbing the ever-changing flow of information from the news satellites.

It was hard to imagine how the system could be improved or made more convenient. But sooner or later, Floyd guessed, it would pass away, to be replaced by something as unimaginable as the Newspad itself would have been to Caxton or Gutenberg.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just got this old commercial suggested to me on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0V_8AbEHYA

Interesting approach. "Hey losers! Here's more slop for ya!"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

davidspackage posted:

Just got this old commercial suggested to me on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0V_8AbEHYA

Interesting approach. "Hey losers! Here's more slop for ya!"

Wait this is supposed to make me WANT to watch Star Trek?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'll give the commercial this, the son reveal is pretty funny.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I laughed. And you know what? I could go for some Star Trek. Guess the commercial worked.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Star trek commercial that always gets a laugh out of me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7C1_po15hw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

well if we're doing ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i86XPU_aDII

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
id buy a kfc star trek meal that comes with little ships

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How do they keep the consoles from getting all greasy??

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

How do they keep the consoles from getting all greasy??

Special coating that keeps it clean. Unfortunately it also renders it very volatile.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pizza is better in the original Klingon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxWqLoafBo

(Fun fact: this was the first commercial ever to air in the UK in a language other than English.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the rocks inside are replaced with chicken bones

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Powered Descent posted:

Pizza is better in the original Klingon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxWqLoafBo

(Fun fact: this was the first commercial ever to air in the UK in a language other than English.)

The auto generated subtitles on this one are great.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

There's no Klingon doctors. Mad (as in angry) scientists, yes, but Klingon medicine is based on either yelling at you to suck it up, or stabbing you.

So they're the galactic experts at surgery

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

id buy a kfc star trek meal that comes with little ships

Yeah, but they're all Birds of Prey

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tunicate posted:

So they're the galactic experts at surgery

Klingon version of The Todd caught stuffing his bananas hammock

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The hell is this, Spock was a vegetarian

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Klingon version of The Todd caught stuffing his bananas hammock

Today is a good day to five!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

For the longest time it was official policy that all live action trek was canon, spock makes an exception for KFC

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

that only testifies to the quality of delicious KFC™ drumstick

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tunicate posted:

For the longest time it was official policy that all live action trek was canon

Which makes the crossover episode with Webster particularly awkward to explain.

This exists. It's real. And according to a strict reading of canon policy... it was canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nY0RCXyLt0

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Powered Descent posted:

This exists. It's real. And according to a strict reading of canon policy... it was canon.

This is also the series finale, so Webster has basically the same ending as Enterprise.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This is also the series finale, so Webster has basically the same ending as Enterprise.

lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

if webster star trek is canon then technically enterprise has the same ending as st elsewhere.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

if webster star trek is canon then technically enterprise has the same ending as st elsewhere.

That or it's all stories by Benny Russell

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

lmao

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Powered Descent posted:

How the hell did something this painfully unfunny get six seasons?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

fact check: tng had seven seasons

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

galagazombie posted:

How the hell did something this painfully unfunny get six seasons?

It was the 80s. The same executives that watched season 1 of TNG and said "yes, more of that please."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

counterfeitsaint posted:

It was the 80s. The same executives that watched season 1 of TNG and said "yes, more of that please."

Season 1 had lots of good episodes like Conspiracy and...