Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Official English teaser site: http://uchoten2-anime.com/?lang=en

I'm reading through the second book right now and I'm really looking forward to seeing some of this stuff animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Fall Season 2016: It's Yuri's Turn To Be Yaoi
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790614

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

MAL just informed me of this. The timing of the announcement with Crunchyroll's license lapsing seems a bit coincidental, but nonetheless I greatly enjoyed marathoning it a couple weeks ago on the eve of its inavailability.

Can't wait for the new season.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

The timing of the announcement with Crunchyroll's license lapsing seems a bit coincidental

When this happens it's coincidental probably 0% of the time or close to it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

The timing of the announcement with Crunchyroll's license lapsing seems a bit coincidental, but nonetheless I greatly enjoyed marathoning it a couple weeks ago on the eve of its inavailability.

The first season was a noitaminA showing, right? If the new one is too, it's probably going on Amazon, and they probably wanted to make very sure they had the full show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is my second most wanted P.A. Works sequel.

nielsm posted:

The first season was a noitaminA showing, right? If the new one is too, it's probably going on Amazon, and they probably wanted to make very sure they had the full show.

Nope, it wasn't noitaminA.

This is what I think is going on: The licencor of the first season was NIS America, and they haven't grabbed a new show since 2014 so they're probably looking to exit the anime business, and won't be picking up the second season. That might be activating some weird legal thing behind the scenes, and it was taken down as they give everything to a new owner. I don't really know, tho.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

This is what I think is going on: The licencor of the first season was NIS America, and they haven't grabbed a new show since 2014 so they're probably looking to exit the anime business, and won't be picking up the second season. That might be activating some weird legal thing behind the scenes, and it was taken down as they give everything to a new owner. I don't really know, tho.

NIS sells the license, new owner lets CR's sublicense lapse (or takes advantage of some clause in the contract because of change of owner, or pays to end the contract), and declines to renew it. Nothing weird about it. Rather commonplace or typical, really. Crunchyroll primarily sublicenses series from the bigger licensors (i.e anyone who publishes physical media).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, 91 Days is really in the running for production trainwreck of the season (give or take a Regalia). The best I can say is that the DVD version will probably be a very good anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Man, 91 Days is really in the running for production trainwreck of the season (give or take a Regalia). The best I can say is that the DVD version will probably be a very good anime.

I think it's watchable, and also think you're way too sensitive about this kind of thing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nothing i've seen in 91 Days has been as bad as the overall lack of quality in Cheer Boys (which also had a recap episode). i dunno if they intended to have most of the cheerleading animated as stills, but uh...that's what they ended up releasing.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
In the end, Taboo Tattoo fell victim to major pacing flaws, like every other anime ever made.

In approximately 5 minutes of show time, our protagonist became enamored with some dude who entered the show completely out of left field and decides to follow his example forever. In the next episode, dude gets captured and protagonist is forced to eat his soul. Then we have an episode in which protagonist relives dude's memories and discovers some major things about the plot, and then there's a two year timeskip and the show goes completely off the rails introducing concepts and characters never even foreshadowed as major new allies and antagonists.

It could have been good (or at least better than average). The world was interesting, most of the characters were interesting and multifaceted, and the fights were fairly competently choreographed, with real implications to their results. Alas...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

In the end, Taboo Tattoo fell victim to major pacing flaws, like every other anime ever made.

might have something to do with the fact that i only ever see you post about poo poo anime

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

might have something to do with the fact that i only ever see you post about poo poo anime

:drat:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Cake Attack posted:

Just up the page, I posted about Uchoten Kazoku.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

Well, at least there were some decent GIFs to come out of it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cake Attack posted:

yeah i don't know how to actually voice this but I didn't feel like Kytrarewn was watching Ange Vierge for any of the reasons i found it an actually exciting and fun show, which is sad because i was looking for adtrw bonding time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

He has a Haruchika av so at one point he was watching a good one

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean as long as posts about the "bad" shows of the season are more like the ones people made about Classroom Crisis a few seasons back, i don't really mind them. those seemed measured in their criticism and also positive about the show overall, or at least the show's strengths. it's when people post about shows to do like, epic takedowns of their mediocre writing, or just constantly go on about flaws that such things become annoying. the shows that seem to get this treatment are mediocre ones that nobody is watching/will remember, so i don't find much merit in a dissection that just proves that fact while making the poster seem self-satisfied in their scathing criticisms. there's also a tendency to exaggerate things to make the aforementioned takedowns even better. with shows that have next to no viewership, those reviews could color others' opinions with no counterpoint.

idk if i articulated that well enough, since the issue feels tonal rather than anything concrete, and tbh i checked out of reading the bad show reviews when the posts for Divine Gate/Luck & Logic were fitting the criteria above.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

people went on and on about how bad divine gate's writing was?

i only remember hearing a few people mention "it's so edgy it's funny" and i watched it and it was, indeed, really unintentionally funny for a few episodes. i don't remember anyone talking about it at all after that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

dogsicle posted:

idk if i articulated that well enough, since the issue feels tonal rather than anything concrete, and tbh i checked out of reading the bad show reviews when the posts for Divine Gate/Luck & Logic were fitting the criteria above.

I agree with you that it's something to watch out for. Smug satisfaction does no one any favors.

A good example was with Mayoiga. Not so much here, but in... other places... people were falling all over themselves to declare what a train wreck it was, and how it was funny in spite of itself. Even though it was pretty clear that the show was intentionally taking the piss, and that it was more Evil Dead 3 "horror" comedy than Evil Dead 1 earnest horror.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Agronox posted:

people were falling all over themselves to declare [...] how it was funny in spite of itself

It's a pet peeve of mine when people do this when it's clearly the intent of the creators for it to be taken that way. Or when they fail to get the joke(s) and so declare it bad/unfunny. "Yeah that would be funny, but I'm pretty sure they didn't intend that thing that's clearly a joke to be a joke, so now it's bad." Fortunately this mostly happens in comment sections, which are easy enough to avoid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

people went on and on about how bad divine gate's writing was?

i only remember hearing a few people mention "it's so edgy it's funny" and i watched it and it was, indeed, really unintentionally funny for a few episodes. i don't remember anyone talking about it at all after that.

Yeah, let's be honest, 'because of your cold heart, you can only eat cold food' was a pretty great line.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, let's be honest, 'because of your cold heart, you can only eat cold food' was a pretty great line.

It absolutely was. Divine Gate was mindless entertainment with a neat visual style that I enjoyed, but I never finished it and I don't care enough to go back and do so. It was one of those shows that in the right place at the right time - I needed something mindless and pretty to look at, and it delivered in spades. (I think around the time I was having a nasty cold too, so that might've contributed to the urge to see something without thinking about it.)

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Space Flower posted:

yeah i don't know how to actually voice this but I didn't feel like Kytrarewn was watching Ange Vierge for any of the reasons i found it an actually exciting and fun show, which is sad because i was looking for adtrw bonding time

I initially posted nice things about Ange Vierge. I really liked the way they portrayed the tension between the GachaGirls and their controller, but two episodes in they removed the controller and turned it some kind of weird scrappy underdog shounen battle anime/CGDCT thing. I'll still finish it, and I've more or less enjoyed my time watching it (largely due to the fact that the voice cast is all A-ranked seiyuus hamming it up to 300%, like Shizuka Itou and Aki Toyosaki), but I would have liked it a bit better with more focus on the strained relationships between Amane and her minions, and the pain-sharing/alphashield/whatever system that is in place between alpha-drivers and their progresses.

For what it's worth, I try to find and highlight the positive about shows, even awful ones. But I'll take your points under consideration and try to do a better job. Perhaps I exaggerated a bit overmuch. For my part, the posts that annoy me are similar, but at the beginnings of seasons when it seems like the hip trend is to be the first to drop a show that's probably not going to wind up being any sort of award winner, so I'll try to avoid doing the same at the ends of seasons.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kytrarewn posted:

I initially posted nice things about Ange Vierge. I really liked the way they portrayed the tension between the GachaGirls and their controller, but two episodes in they removed the controller and turned it some kind of weird scrappy underdog shounen battle anime/CGDCT thing. I'll still finish it, and I've more or less enjoyed my time watching it (largely due to the fact that the voice cast is all A-ranked seiyuus hamming it up to 300%, like Shizuka Itou and Aki Toyosaki), but I would have liked it a bit better with more focus on the strained relationships between Amane and her minions, and the pain-sharing/alphashield/whatever system that is in place between alpha-drivers and their progresses.

I thought it was great how they worked the format, starting each episode with a flashback between Amane and the girl of the hour, and then segueing that into their development with Saya and their corrupted friend. So the protagonist is somewhat present without commanding focus, which lets the show run wild with a lot of crazy relationship moments. it's good.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Any last thoughts on Sweetness and Lightning or Orange? Worth watching? (I have a big backlog but want to add to it!)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sweetness and Lightning is super cute!!! It's maybe not as good as it could have been but there's a lot it gets right, and definitely worth checking out.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Orange is definitely worth watching, very emotional, with characters to whom you can relate with problems to which you can relate (despite the sci-fi-y premise).
Sweetness & Lightning is cute and very well done, and you learn a bit about Japanese cuisine, but of the two I'd choose Orange every day of the week. After the surprising gut-kick in S&L's first episode, it never really delivered that sort of catharsis again.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Agronox posted:

Any last thoughts on Sweetness and Lightning or Orange? Worth watching? (I have a big backlog but want to add to it!)

Yes to both!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Sweetness & Lightning is amazingly adorable slice of life. If you want some heartwarming family fun, you can't go wrong with it.

Orange has been up and down. It's really good sometimes, but it spent a while spinning its wheels in the middle of the season, and its lead character can be pretty infuriating.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There's a couple episodes of Orange where they just didn't finish animating them, but the content is solid, with the proviso that the finale has yet to air (it'll be on Sunday.) Their explanation for the time-travel is pretty lame but that's not the point!

Kytrarewn posted:

After the surprising gut-kick in S&L's first episode, it never really delivered that sort of catharsis again.

Did you watch episode 9?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
In the end, the only Summer shows I stuck with until the end were Mob Psycho, Sweetness and Lightning, Momokuri, and This Art Club has a Problem. Art Club was ok, the rest I liked quite a bit. Plus Jojo and Rezero from last season of course. Also Ace Attorney and Rinne but I wouldn't particular recommend those two to anyone.

Oh! Relife was good. I already forgot it was part of summer after binging it in the first two weeks.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StandardVC10 posted:

Did you watch episode 9?

Yes, it didn't hit me as hard as episode 1.

Also, another show for Agronox to consider: http://gfycat.com/SharpEquatorialCavy (somewhat :nws:)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this looks terrible, in a very uninteresting way

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

dogsicle posted:

this looks terrible, in a very uninteresting way

Recorded in gifcam at 10fps... it was more entertaining with sound and at full framerate (which rather reduces the purpose of my having recorded it, but I went to the trouble to record and upload it for a friend, so I figured I might as well post it here as the only person to go through 12 episodes of the show).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Thanks all! I will add both of those shows (and also Mob Psycho) to the pile. JoJo is in the separate Gintama "well maybe when I have a ton of time" list.

Kytrarewn posted:

Also, another show for Agronox to consider: http://gfycat.com/SharpEquatorialCavy (somewhat :nws:)

That looks very dangerous having those afterburner things so close to the buttocks.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu was fun, but too short.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Qualidea Code

Don't write it off entirely, but maybe wait for the BDs (In official, US-release and officially translated form, of course). It's a pretty good story, with interesting characters (some people will accuse two brother-sister pairs of being a bit too close, but it doesn't go over the line of good taste, and isn't unlike other sets of siblings I've met who were raised in 'interesting' environments). Animation/Art quality is never really that good, though, and it could have been so much better just by leaving the OP or ED off a couple episodes, for a couple more minutes of runtime in a few places, to avoid some rather rushed sections and unforeshadowed last minute revelations.

Still, I'm overall positive on it for the season, despite it coming out on one of the more heavily-scheduled days.

EDIT: Apparently the LNs (Qualidea of Scum and a Gold Coin) are pretty good, maybe I'll read them some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Qualidea Code

Don't write it off entirely, but maybe wait for the BDs

I agree. It wasn't as bad as say that Wizard Barrister thing, but the last episode had multiple cuts where you hear combat noises while the camera was on a still frame away from the action. They also did that thing where the camera was only on the characters who currently aren't talking (or behind the talking characters).

They either ran out of time or money at the end.

• Locked thread