Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bogart posted:

(I will buy 100FRG but I'm not sure about this $400 headset.)
Well, if you had to pick between the two I think you made the right choice. I'm still hopeful the headset will be good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Flumbooze posted:

And the Netflix app too! I'm ready for some cinema viewing of my favourite shows.

Watching movies is 90 percent why I'm getting the PSVR. I would think that each individual app (Amazon, Netflix, etc) wouldn't need to be updated, in as much as it should be cooked into the PS4 OS natively.

Really looking forward to it at any rate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The video apps should automatically work with 2D content in black void cinema world, support for 360-degree videos will probably need to be patched into the player.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Tide posted:

Watching movies is 90 percent why I'm getting the PSVR. I would think that each individual app (Amazon, Netflix, etc) wouldn't need to be updated, in as much as it should be cooked into the PS4 OS natively.

Really looking forward to it at any rate.

Yeah, for me too. If this wasn't a possibility then I'd think there was too little content (for now). But man, movies on such a big screen... I'm sure that, like you said, it wouldn't require much work.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

This generation of VR is going to be for us, people who game a lot. After a generation or so, I can imagine the price will drop, as it does for actual consoles, opening it up to the casual market.

It's like the retro consoles, mainstream consumers weren't really bothered until the PSX became "cool", with greater uptake for the next gen, then the Wii opened it all up for everyone by being dirt cheap and fun. I'm fairly sure some flavour of good VR will hit dirt cheap at some point.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

de la peche posted:

This generation of VR is going to be for us, people who game a lot. After a generation or so, I can imagine the price will drop, as it does for actual consoles, opening it up to the casual market.

It's like the retro consoles, mainstream consumers weren't really bothered until the PSX became "cool", with greater uptake for the next gen, then the Wii opened it all up for everyone by being dirt cheap and fun. I'm fairly sure some flavour of good VR will hit dirt cheap at some point.

I think that's pretty much Sony's strategy: be the first VR that most people experience by virtue of being early to market and as cheap as possible, even making performance compromises (like resolution) to get there. VR feels like the drat future, and if Sony can get people to associate that with their brand, they're gonna have great mindshare during the VR uptake period where normies start giving it a serious look and trying it out.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Some quantity of preorders just opened on Newegg.

https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16879261644

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's some actual gameplay from Robinson The Journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDP7WK7ENbw

Longer, worse quality video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voh3OirRPPc

I think this may be my most anticipated PSVR game, too bad it's not a launch title. Doesn't look very replayable, unfortunately.

Also could that robot be any more derivative.

edit: and it's weird that the in-game device looks just like a Move controller but you seemingly have to walk with a DS4.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 17, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'd be impressed at the PS4 pushing those graphics/lighting at 90FPS to begin with. Can't believe they can do it in VR.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Did Robinson The Journey get pushed back or something? It's listed as a launch game on that reddit list and the only announcement I saw said Oct 13th. I'm definitely intrigued by the video. It does look a little too good to be true though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Agreed, I know insane graphics is basically Crytek's raison d'etre but that just looks too good. They aren't supposed to be working on a PC version but I wouldn't be surprised if that came from someone's "devkit".

They're probably targeting 60fps and using reprojection to present it at 120.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I bet we will end up with at least one VR game that capitalizes on the extreme limitations of VR movement to make a game with seemingly 'impossible' graphics.

stuff like "wow this lighting looks incredible!" with the real answer being that it's literally painted on the environment textures because they know the exact 5x5 square that you will ever walk in that they have to calculate shadows dynamically, and anything farther than than the very local area being a fancy prerendered skybox because they know you will never be able to go there.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When's Robinson's Requiem getting a VR remake? I want to cut off my limbs in virtual reality.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Two of the less-covered minigames in PSVR Worlds: Scavengers (2:25) and Luge (9:21)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRdxE-Nx2SA

Framerate is kinda crap, hope that's a side effect of the capture process.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I will not eat at TAco Bell no matter how many cars I get to ride in Jason Statham with

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of worrying because they also did a PS Vita promotion with one of those Taco Bell boxes. It was also the only place outside of gaming websites I ever saw an advertisement for Vita too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm seeing TV ads for the Taco Bell promotion. Also for Gear VR, strangely enough.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
The fact that people in reviews I've read say their brains were "tricked" is enough for me to be fully on board. I forget where it was, but I saw a video where some guy almost fell over because he went to lean against a table that wasn't there in real life or something like that. Whatever resolution or frame rate or blahblah technical stuff is or isn't going on, if you're forgetting the table in the game doesn't actually exist, it's good enough. All it will take is some developer in the same vein as the guys who made Journey or the guys who made Ico, with a focus on experience/mood, to take VR to a level of gaming nobody has seen yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So... what do you do in this game other than throw balls?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks a lot like HL2. Many simple physics manipulation puzzles. Makes sense; what was the last big game of First Person Shooters? Half-Life 2 with it's physics engine/manipulation. Seems like a slam dunk to take the white iMac style technology of Portal, mix it with HL2 physics play, and wrap it in a warm gooey VR experience. At least, until someone can figure out what to do with VR. This is a very good first step, even if it's not breakout amazing. Throwing iBarrels around in Jurrasic Park is a good time and fairly relatable experience to ease in to VR with.

How do they handle motion sickness of sliding around? Or do you teleport from area to area?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Will the PSVR be able to display 3D Blurays?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Enos Cabell posted:

Will the PSVR be able to display 3D Blurays?

Hahahaha take one guess

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Hahahaha take one guess

Well that sucks.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

We might get it some day though. Maybe in PSVR firmware 4.0.

https://www.twitter.com/yosp/status/713468032325017600

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Theyre going to patch in an update that responds to you inserting a 3D Bluray by ejecting it at a dangerously high speed and loading the New Releases page on the PSN movie rental store

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I suppose I'm being overly harsh, it's not like they can just take the 3d movie and put the left picture in the left eye and so forth and call it a day. Then it wouldn't have head tracking or anything and you probably wouldn't even be able to see the whole thing.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
The Gear VR can do 3D movies in a bunch of formats, I can't imagine it's too far away for PSVR. It's done in the movie theater setting so you get the head tracking in the cinema and the movie on the screen is 3D.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Knightmare posted:

The Gear VR can do 3D movies in a bunch of formats, I can't imagine it's too far away for PSVR. It's done in the movie theater setting so you get the head tracking in the cinema and the movie on the screen is 3D.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a patent on whatever they used for that which Sony is too cheap to pay for and wants to make their own thing instead.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You superimpose both images on a rectangle and make each image visible only on one display, exactly the way stereoscopic displays work with 3D glasses, if it's not implemented it's only because they haven't bothered to do so or intend to charge extra for it in the future.

It should actually work much better than 3D displays (no crosstalk) so I don't know why the various VR manufacturers aren't providing a convenient method to experience 3D movies, it seems like it should be an easy to market feature.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

acksplode posted:

Theyre going to patch in an update that responds to you inserting a 3D Bluray by ejecting it at a dangerously high speed and loading the New Releases page on the PSN movie rental store

If Sony actually rented 3D movies that way, I'd go for it. It's weird that they don't at all; especially since my cable provider does, at $7 CDN a pop, albeit with a more limited selection than I'd like. If/when PSVR displays 3D movies, that'd be a great way to plug the gap being made by TV manufacturers dumping 3D from 4K sets, despite home video clearly still showing demand for the format.

If it doesn't, I was going to buy a Vive anyway. And cross my fingers that it'll have a driver by Tridef or whoever to convert games into stereoscopic even when native support wasn't there (e.g. Dead Space).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/20/rez-infinite-enter-area-x/

Teaser for the new area in Rez Infinite.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My PS4 has the actual rare problem where it cannot output video unless it's connected via one specific HDMI cable to one specific HDMI splitter. Think it'll still be able to communicate with the processing unit for PSVR, with that splitter inbetween?

It's got P.T installed, that's why I've not sent it off to Sony. Balls.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am so loving down for playing Rez in VR.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

MrLonghair posted:

It's got P.T installed, that's why I've not sent it off to Sony. Balls.
There are sketchy ways to re-download P.T. that work.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Casnorf posted:

There are sketchy ways to re-download P.T. that work.
Yeah I did this not long ago and it worked just fine. Wasn't all that sketchy either.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I thought that one required a US account flagged as having downloaded it, despite it being taken down hard and all. Giving it some hard thought though I can't see having to use this weird setup getting in the way of PSVR, at most I'll need a new splitter/short extension and that'll make it work. I blame the games taking delays enabling my PSVR purchase for this worry.

Ech. Summer Lesson won an award at TGS called "Future Divison" :toot:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The choices were Hotub Anime Girl, Happy Manger, or Summer Lesson

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
If this will allow me to stream films from my PC to the Playstation and watch them in a VR cinema, I will buy one and a PS4 Pro. If it's Netflix / PSN store / whatever other streaming services only, I won't. I don't play games that much anymore, but I do want to get high, lie flat on my back, and watch old episodes of The Avengers on a fancy-rear end space helmet. Talking of which, do we know how long the cables on this doohickey are?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
According to random googling, 15 feet.

Also, Driveclub will be available at launch for $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Flopstick posted:

If this will allow me to stream films from my PC to the Playstation and watch them in a VR cinema, I will buy one and a PS4 Pro. If it's Netflix / PSN store / whatever other streaming services only, I won't.

Sounds like Plex has you covered, the VR display should work fine with any existing 2D apps/games.