Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Check engine light came on.

In years past, I worked right by a PepBoys, so could drop the car off and walk across a small parking lot to work. Now I am not by any mechanic; Wilhelm Auto is the closest and I've never been there so a quick drop off wouldn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
My cat died last night. He was already diabetic, old, and everyone knew it was coming. But he was putting on weight, eating, and seeming like he was having a second wind. I woke up today to find him passed. I hope he left good, feeling loved and snuggled. Pour out some nip for a perfect precious little buddy.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Welcome back, Edgar.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

Dad died last night. Yeah, pretty lovely.

lol my gran just died too. gently caress everything

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

On a work trip and rooming with a colleague I thought I was becoming friends with, since we'd done a couple things outside of work.
But after he'd drank a bit and returned to the room he had obviously been annoyed with me, and told me that he only ever agreed to stuff because he felt obligated to, and he never wanted to do any of the things we had done.
(Even though he's the one who invited me the first couple of times. Because apparently he loves to make plans when buzzed.)

We had a talk and set stuff straight, but that just means I'll be dropping all contact with him outside of work. Feels really bad.
My lovely insecurity has been going 'you're just bothering him, why would he want to be friends with you?', and it's just so poo poo to have it validated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You are absolutely not the only one at fault here, do not blame yourself entirely for the situation.

It's a poo poo situation, but don't shoulder all the blame for it. Especially if he was the initiator multiple times.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah gently caress that dude.

I still remember in high school when I was friends with S, and we were loving best friends, and her other two friends became mine too, so we were this nice group...until her previous best friend moved back from out of state. S decided to cut me loose, and the best way to do that was for her, her new best friend, and me to have lunch together, where they gave me a handwritten, both sides filled out, two page list of all the things wrong with me.

lovely day: $1000 car repair because of that drat check engine light. if it's not the gas cap, it's gonna be expensive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SubNat posted:

On a work trip and rooming with a colleague I thought I was becoming friends with, since we'd done a couple things outside of work.
But after he'd drank a bit and returned to the room he had obviously been annoyed with me, and told me that he only ever agreed to stuff because he felt obligated to, and he never wanted to do any of the things we had done.
(Even though he's the one who invited me the first couple of times. Because apparently he loves to make plans when buzzed.)

We had a talk and set stuff straight, but that just means I'll be dropping all contact with him outside of work. Feels really bad.
My lovely insecurity has been going 'you're just bothering him, why would he want to be friends with you?', and it's just so poo poo to have it validated.

That dude is an alcoholic and needs counseling.
Even if they don't drink a ton, the consequences of their drinking is awfully negative.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

...until her previous best friend moved back from out of state. S decided to cut me loose, and the best way to do that was for her, her new best friend, and me to have lunch together, where they gave me a handwritten, both sides filled out, two page list of all the things wrong with me.

loving hell that's vicious and lovely, so sorry you had to endure that.

And thanks goons, I'm glad to have a finality like that to it, because the push and pull, and constant second guessing involved with him was pretty stressful. Having an actual conclusion where he just honestly started it out like that sucks, but it's way better than months or maybe years of drawn out uncertainty. Now he's just 'A Guy at Work'.

(Really frustrating, since he's been a huge positive influence on my life the last year, with me getting more into shape, and actually asking for + accepting help from the people around me. But people are complicated like that.)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

eating only apples posted:

Thanks. gently caress cancer.

Can't agree more, lost my dad in February to it. Condolences & hope you/your family are ok.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my neighbor, who is like family to me, just got diagnosed with parkinson's.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Can't agree more, lost my dad in February to it. Condolences & hope you/your family are ok.

Sorry for your loss. We're doing okay. Mum is very businesslike about it with me. It's a relief that he didn't have to do palliative care for long or go into hospice. We lost my grandpa last year and now dad and granny within two weeks of each other. Man, being in your 30s really sucks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

loving hell that's vicious and lovely, so sorry you had to endure that.

And thanks goons, I'm glad to have a finality like that to it, because the push and pull, and constant second guessing involved with him was pretty stressful. Having an actual conclusion where he just honestly started it out like that sucks, but it's way better than months or maybe years of drawn out uncertainty. Now he's just 'A Guy at Work'.

(Really frustrating, since he's been a huge positive influence on my life the last year, with me getting more into shape, and actually asking for + accepting help from the people around me. But people are complicated like that.)

want the epilogue?

i obviously lost contact with her after that, and about three years later she was a cashier at a dollar store I stopped by. I was shocked to see her (because she was supposed to get some art school scholarship and move far away to do amazing art of course), and moreso how happy she was to see me, all chatty and acting like she hadn't done that. She even asked if I could get her a job at the pet store I worked at. I declined, but apparently she used me as a contact and got the job.

It just amazed me how it clearly never affected her. I later found out that her Super Best Friend from high school had moved off to join the military so I guess she needed a replacement again. I was forced to train her, and kept some contact with her but she never explained why she did the list other than "we wanted you to leave us alone and not shoot up the school."

This was the year before Columbine that they did the note, so school shootings were not yet "normal." I had to bite my tongue not to tell her "I wouldn't shoot up the school, just you two."

Surprising no one, we lost contact again when she got fired for being late to work constantly, and she never did apologize outside some vague "well you were always so emotional."

edit: in no way was i planning to actually hurt them. but it is amazing when i think there used to be a time that school shootings were so rare. i think there had been one or two in arkansas before that, and it was seen as one-offs by most people, but a lot of students at my school got the idea that it could happen any day. sad how right they were about that on a national level, while most of us wrote it off as "psh, like anyone can really do that."

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 15:00 on May 7, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My sister is pregnant. Again.
'Why is this making your day lovely?' She can barely afford to raise the one toddler she has, and it turns out that her being pregnant is a directly contributing factor to why she refused to leave her abusive boyfriend back in November/December when she had the chance- except she didn't tell us she was pregnant and kept giving us the runaround that it was about her dog, not about her. I only found out about it literally an hour ago, and her due date is next week.
I love you little sister but god drat.

Oh, the reason why she was so reluctant to tell us in the first place? Our dad is an incredible rear end in a top hat. Last time she got pregnant he didn't talk to any of us for two weeks. As if it's somehow me or Mom's fault that my sister got pregnant.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
someone murdered my friend's dog

they caught the guy on camera(his face hidden) going up and feeding the dog rat poison wrapped in bacon. My friend found his dog vomiting bloody froth behind the shed in their back yard, there was nothing the vets could do. this has happened to multiple other dogs in town before him in the last couple days apparently

this guy should be erased from existence

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

they caught the guy on camera(his face hidden) going up and feeding the dog rat poison wrapped in bacon. My friend found his dog vomiting bloody froth behind the shed in their back yard, there was nothing the vets could do. this has happened to multiple other dogs in town before him in the last couple days apparently

Jesus loving Christ.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Your friend took this to the news for them to blast it all over town, right? Please say yes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he said he's talking to someone and don't be surprised if I see him on the news about it. the cops are currently looking for the guy who did it, he was wearing a balaclava and other things to hide his frame, but there's only so much you can do, and also with the prevalence of security cameras nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if they could track his movements around town from other cameras.

regardless, this is the sort of person who should be double tapped and fed to pigs so nothing is left, his name forgotten to history. someone who methodically, over the course of multiple days, murders people's pets, should not be alive. there is no restitution, no salvation for someone with the capacity for that. my friend's dog walked up all happy, despite being nearly two decades old, to greet the guy, and he manipulated its innocence and kindness to kill it.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 09:34 on May 17, 2024

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

my friend's dog walked up all happy, despite being nearly two decades old, to greet the guy, and he manipulated its innocence and kindness to kill it.

Was the dog good with strangers? If not, the fact that the poor dog was friendly to the fucker who killed them suggests they might have known the guy

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Not necessarily, some dogs just do not understand the concept of "strangers". My Jess is like that; everyone is a friend who might also be a source of head pats, from the package delivery people to the apartment maintenance guy.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Like my Haywood. Though he was weirdly racist, the only people he didn't like were the black family that lived at the end of the cul de sac.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They got him.

It was a gen x Indian guy who, according to his confession to the cops, hated all these new families having dogs on his street. So every day he would go on a walk and do this to someone's dog. He killed a six month old puppy, just happily called it over to the fence to pet it, casually slipped it the bacon-wrapped poison, and walked off. None of the five he poisoned survived, one is still alive but they will probably euthanize it due to devastating organ damage.

His wife apologized to my friend. lady, you should be staying as far away from the victims as possible, lest you or your kids become a casualty too.

Apparently he was "a quiet one", never talked to other people in the neighborhood.

My friend's other dog, a two year old, is safe. I'm kind of glad if one of them had to go out this way, it was the one who had already lived an incredibly long, fulfilling life.

My friend already has a lawyer and is planning to sue them for everything they've got, and is talking to the other victims too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

At least you got some closure and the other dogs are safe. Still a supremely messed up thing to happen.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Last I checked animal cruelty is a felony level crime, isn't it? Nail his rear end to the wall.

It's fuckheads like him who are the reason people are uncomfortable around quiet people like me who don't mean anyone any harm, I'm just not a social person.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think he's being charged multiple decades just for my friends dog, not even counting anyone else's. So he's going away forever because he's on camera for most of these.

I'm not sure how well animal torturers/murderers do in prison, but I'm guessing probably not a lot better than pedophiles and the like. I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I do not think he's going to have a whole lot of friends, no. I'm sorry you had to go through this, I really and truly am.