Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It was always assumed to be a scam, so what changed - did it get extra scammy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I guess it's not a DayZ survival mmo like it was advertised, it's a Division Dark Zone extraction shooter.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/12/11/the-day-before-developer-shuts-down-four-days-after-launch/?sh=377184525bca posted:

Well the “The Day Before isn’t a scam” crowd is not looking too hot today. Four days after launch, when The Day Before attracted half a million viewers on Steam after selling early access for $40, its developer Fntastic is shutting down completely, according to a new statement.

The just-released announcement says that The Day Before “failed financially” and that the income that was brought in is being used to pay off debts. They say they cannot afford to patch the extremely broken game, which launched in an entirely different genre than was originally promised, an extraction shooter rather than a survival MMO.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Surely they didn't realize any income from the steam sales yet, there's no way Steam pays out to developers in just a few days.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arrath posted:

Surely they didn't realize any income from the steam sales yet, there's no way Steam pays out to developers in just a few days.

Especially if some of those are still in the refund window.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
You can't buy it anymore and it looks like Steam is giving out refunds to people well outside the usual 2 hour refund window.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
If you loved the original Settlers game, but weren't enjoying all of licence-holder Ubisoft's successor titles, "Pioneers of Pagonia" goes into early access tomorrow.
It's not just a "spiritual successor" to the original game, but is developed by the guy that made the OG Settlers, and it's been getting some drat good reviews from folks that got an early sneak-peek.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2155180/Pioneers_of_Pagonia/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QvwHCNz3zw

Also, the next big content-update for DSP (including AI Combat system "Dark Fog") drops on Friday, which - thank god - is when I go on vacation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26-kTuUrEM

These two are probably gonna eat up the entirety of my time till the next year, yeesh

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Now that Switch versions/updates of Chrono Cross and Super Mario RPG exist, the cowards need to do Chrono Trigger and Secret of Evermore next :mad:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Icon Of Sin posted:

Now that Switch versions/updates of Chrono Cross and Super Mario RPG exist, the cowards need to do Chrono Trigger and Secret of Evermore next :mad:

those are exactly the last two games im waiting for on my switch

and final fantasy tactics

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Isn't crono trigger on steam?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Melthir posted:

Isn't crono trigger on steam?

yeah its the iOS port

chrono cross is on switch but not trigger

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
The remastered version on steam also manages to have worse graphics than the SNES despite the same source material. That's saying something, they managed to make it look worse than a 16bit console version using the same art assets. Emulator or bust for Chrono Trigger.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Tiny posted:

The remastered version on steam also manages to have worse graphics than the SNES despite the same source material. That's saying something, they managed to make it look worse than a 16bit console version using the same art assets. Emulator or bust for Chrono Trigger.

Some graphics genuinely look better on old CRT monitors.

https://gamerant.com/crt-tv-video-games-older-graphics-better-why/#:~:text=8%20and%2016%2Dbit%20game,a%20modern%20screen%20can%20fill.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

those are exactly the last two games im waiting for on my switch

and final fantasy tactics

Goddamn did I love me some FFT. 3 Calculators and a Ninja hosed up everything the game could possibly throw at you.

I spent so many hours levelling up and down and back up characters to get stats to 99.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GD_American posted:

Goddamn did I love me some FFT. 3 Calculators and a Ninja hosed up everything the game could possibly throw at you.

I spent so many hours levelling up and down and back up characters to get stats to 99.

disgaia 5 is p much a must play for you if you liked FFT that much

edit: just ignore all the anime stuff and try it for reals. The new one, 7, is supposedly great too, 5 is on every platform possible and seen as the high water mark so far though

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 15, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

edit: just ignore all the anime stuff

tall order, but I trust you

Dyson Sphere's long-awaited combat update just dropped. It does significantly change things enough to be a new game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I’m a fan so far for the DSP update. Not entirely sure how the scaling works, so I’m just going in blind and hoping for the best :getin:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GD_American posted:

tall order, but I trust you

hekk will back me on this, i just blast through the anime talking and work on making my dudes do 16 quintillion damage per hit while bribing the in-game senate to allow me to cheat

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hekk will back me on this, i just blast through the anime talking and work on making my dudes do 16 quintillion damage per hit while bribing the in-game senate to allow me to cheat

Yeah I am absolutely not a big anime guy at all but underneath an extremely anime layer is the best tactical rpg since Final Fantasy Tactics. There are just so many ways you can customize your team and the entire point of the series is finding ways to try to break the game.

Power level your low level characters, reincarnate high level ones for stat buffs, grind through levels of enemies to buff item stats. There are like two dozen ways you can do things to make numbers bigger and they are all pretty satisfying. I probably put 200 hours in Disgaea 5. Just b button through all the dialog. It doesn’t matter anyway. The story is just the beginning for that game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if you grinded your characters in FFT or ogre battle then you owe it to yourself to play disgaia 5

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Heihachi dead, so what.

Tekken 8 demo dropped on PS/Xbox/PC with 4 playable characters out of the 32 (:wow:) at launch. You get a chapter of Story Mode and a small part of Arcade Mode. Arcade mode kind of feels like SF6's Battle Hub but I can't tell if it will be online or not. Apparently you can customize the fighters quite a bit which should hopefully put Capcom and NRS in there place for their DLC outfit pricing nonsense. (If you didn't know, all of outfit 3 in SF6 costs more than the base game at $108).

Haven't played Tekken in forever so I am excited to try this one. I think last time I was playing Brian because he was a kick boxer but I really want to check out the French guy, Victor Chevalier, who seems to have taken some likeness from John Wick. Well his suit and the center axis relock gunfighting style anyway. I know nothing about this G-Corp nonsense so I will have to find the two hour deep dive on Tekken lore on Youtube before the game drops.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Ay yooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiJotJDU0no

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 19, 2023

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

Heihachi dead, so what.

Tekken 8 demo dropped on PS/Xbox/PC with 4 playable characters out of the 32 (:wow:) at launch. You get a chapter of Story Mode and a small part of Arcade Mode. Arcade mode kind of feels like SF6's Battle Hub but I can't tell if it will be online or not. Apparently you can customize the fighters quite a bit which should hopefully put Capcom and NRS in there place for their DLC outfit pricing nonsense. (If you didn't know, all of outfit 3 in SF6 costs more than the base game at $108).

Haven't played Tekken in forever so I am excited to try this one. I think last time I was playing Brian because he was a kick boxer but I really want to check out the French guy, Victor Chevalier, who seems to have taken some likeness from John Wick. Well his suit and the center axis relock gunfighting style anyway. I know nothing about this G-Corp nonsense so I will have to find the two hour deep dive on Tekken lore on Youtube before the game drops.

tekken 7 was very good if you didnt play it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Neat, but I also just rolled credits on the game and did everything I wanted to sidequest wise last week... (gently caress making all the guns, there are only 2-3 guns that are gamechangers anyway)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Never heard of that game but it has....quite the trailer

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

dredge is p good too

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

Neat, but I also just rolled credits on the game and did everything I wanted to sidequest wise last week... (gently caress making all the guns, there are only 2-3 guns that are gamechangers anyway)

Even when I eventually gave up and started looking at wikis for fish locations and times it was a huge pain in the rear end finding some of the little ones. Four pixels of the same color that may or may not be the right shade!

Still a fun game though, worth the play through. Not sure I'll get the DLC though.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Enhanced Edition is on sale for :10bux: on Steam for a few more hours if anyone is interested in some more crpg crunch after Baldur's Gate 3.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Picked up Battle Brothers for Switch, enjoying it so far. First run was an accurate reenactment showing what may happen if an idiot commander recruited the local rat catchers then set off to battle brigands without any planning.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If you like Battle Brothers, you'll probably dig Wartales. BB has a charm to it with the chess-piece hex feel while Wartales is a hybrid of BB/mount and blade overworld/xcom.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Eason the Fifth posted:

If you like Battle Brothers, you'll probably dig Wartales. BB has a charm to it with the chess-piece hex feel while Wartales is a hybrid of BB/mount and blade overworld/xcom.

Seconding this. I managed to get clean after just 89 hours of BB. And now the only reason Wartales hasn't shot up past that number is that I play it coop with a guy who has limited mental bandwith so we only do short sessions most days.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

SerthVarnee posted:

Seconding this. I managed to get clean after just 89 hours of BB. And now the only reason Wartales hasn't shot up past that number is that I play it coop with a guy who has limited mental bandwith so we only do short sessions most days.

Lol same here. My wartales campaigns are strictly co-op because I know if I start a new game, I'll hit that 'just one more mission' situation and be up until 3am.

I like wartales a lot, but Battle Brothers has a low-fi vibe I really love. The music in that game goes a long way.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 22, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Eason the Fifth posted:

I like wartales a lot, but Battle Brothers has a low-fi vibe I really love. The music in that game goes a long way.

God yes, the music in Battle Brothers is just fantastic. Sometimes I took fights that I really shouldn't just to get the good music vibe.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

fallen down a CK3 hole

i have successfully created the empire of hispania by mercing, well, everyone

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

then crossed the med and invaded northern africa using a holy war for kingdom

i then proceeded to capture the king on the first battle i fought lmao meaning i took a whole kingdom in 9 months

thank you rngesus

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really need to man up and get into that game. At least once a month I decide Now Is The Time but my eyes instantly glaze over at the very first De Jure tutorial even though I like history and the total war campaign map :negative:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I have reinstalled Hitman 3.

If anyone needs me, I’m chilling in Sapienza.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Remember VGA Planets? Planets Nu has been keeping it alive and making it web based for a while now. I'm running a game. You don't need to subscribe to the website or anything, but you do need to make an account

If you don't know what VGA Planets is, it's one of the earliest 4X games, if not the first actual one. Even though it predates the term by a year. It is also multiplayer. Players take synchronous turns, and then on a schedule the host will run and all your actions will be taken and the results will be available for you to then see and play your next turn.

This game is set so you get 3 turns immediately (without the host running) since you're not really going to be able to do anything that can effect other players in the first 3 turns. After that, the host runs every day for 15 days. After that it's Tues, Thurs, Sunday. If everyone turns in their turns early the host will run early.

Also this game is the king of ripping off Sci-Fi IPs. You've got mostly races from Star Trek, as well as the Rebels and Empire from Star Wars, and the Cylons and Colonies of Man from BSG. The current system has different ship art but you can turn on the old ship art as a setting. It also tries to mostly hold to the themes of the races stolen borrowed from. The Federation is torpedo heavy and has a fair number of science ships. The Romulans Bird Men have cloaking ships. And so on.

A Crystal ship totally not a tholian.

http://planets.nu/#/sector/601485
Password: lljk

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Alright, this video went harder than it needed to. Watch if you want to try to understand the nonsense that is the Tekken storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRIOVeirAa0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Big "Orson Welles in Transformers:The Movie" paycheck energy there.