Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

My wife pointed out how mean i was being too myself for being basically ADHD, like forgetful or impulsive; it's also the core of a lot of my abuse and trauma, because I was a kid and couldn't explain how different I felt to my mother, who was genuinely more oppressed than I could even imagine, being a lesbian teacher in 90's Texas.

I'm not sure where I was doing with that but just remember that you can be nice to yourself without giving yourself a bunch of excuses.

So realtalk on this, if you don't mind sharing--How did you get diagnosed and what was the process like.

tl;dr I have similar issues. I can tell you exactly how a project should be planned and executed, but I can't actually execute. I've been terrified of "meds" for years because of various things, but at this point I'm tired of not being able to do things more than I'm scared of pills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

You didn't read any of that did you?

...welp.

I was there until the paragraph about different meds.

Anyway, thanks a ton for that, I really appreciate it. It gives me a good place to start and I'll see about doing some follow up.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I’d really like some help with one of my former junior Marines. He’s had a rough few years recently, but has been decently stable since getting out. However, I’ve been talking with him on encrypted messaging apps and he has been spiraling since February. He has been acting more and more paranoid, and I’m getting really concerned but I don’t know how to help.

Does anyone have any advice? You can post or PM me.

So I've been through this several times with members of one of my old units, with mixed results. The common denominator to getting guys help seems to be physically visiting them and getting them to move. The guys who changed venues are largely doing better, the guys who refused or we were unable to get them moved tended to spiral down. It's a PITA for nearly everyone involved, but our biggest successes were where we got people relocated to be close to a physical support network where they had a defacto sponsor that kept on top of getting them into the programs they needed to be in and getting them into a "routine" that broke them out of the spiral.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hate to hear it :(

Sorrow is the price for love. Time will take the bite out of it, but for now don't feel bad about feeling bad. Take your time with it.

And gently caress cancer.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Friends/roommate's kids got COVID-19 from his dad at their house.

Passed out and stepmom is following ambulance.

Please let this kid be okay.

:smith:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I’ve got a situation this thread might have helpful input for.

TLDR version: a friend of a friend is at Ft Campbell and having a really rough time. He’s having some sort of spousal issues and states that he contemplating self harm off and on as a result. My friend, Mike, is rightly alarmed by this and is poking around for a way to get his buddy the help he needs. He would like to do that in a way that doesn’t immediately bring misery via chain of command overreaction—but he is also aware that if the situation gets bad enough, that is a line Mike is willing to cross. I don’t know what unit the guy is in, so I gave him the numbers of both the post chaplain’s office and the SD officer for post.

I’ve been a civilian for nearly 15 years now, so I’m not sure what new resources might exist, or what the current climate is for getting soldiers help without ending their careers, making the situation worse with inhumane suicide watches, or anything else. My tentative advice was to talk to him, get him in touch with the chaplain’s office first even if he’s not religious, and be ready to call SD if any great of imminent self harm surfaces.

I’d appreciate any input or extra thoughts. I don’t know this guy personally, but he means a lot to my friend and Mike would be crushed if anything happened to him.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ASAPI posted:

I've been out for a while, but saw that no one has replied yet. Assuming that things have stayed vaguely the same(ish) since I have been in, there are a few things to consider.

In general, it will always be better for your friend if they seek help themselves. Things escalating to an attempt, requiring outside intervention, is the exact thing that gets (or should get) the chain of command involved.

Giving the numbers is a good start, his unit likely has some form of civilian counselor attached to it (they still have those MFLC guys right?) which might be another option. The issue becomes that your friend needs to seek the help themselves for it to "help" beyond a quick bandaid. The goal should be longer term therapy and possibly meds to help with treatment, it can be hard to "force" that onto someone.

In the meantime, contact helps. If everyone keeps in touch with him, checking up and reiterating the need for professional follow up therapy, it will hopefully push him in a direction that leads to help. If/when he says that he is going to harm himself, you have no choice but to get emergency services involved, which involves the chain of command.

Almost every time I have been through this in the past with others, there was a physical substance abuse issue as well, usually alcohol. Addressing the substance abuse concerns almost seemed more effective at getting them help than focusing on the depression/suicidal ideations. Completely anecdotal, but worth noting that substance abuse seems to be "curable" in some minds while depression isn't. I don't claim to know why/how that works, but I have had luck with it in the past.

Hope your friend gets the help they need.

Thanks much and I’ll pass all that along. I’m not sure if there is a substance issue, but I wouldn’t doubt it.

The MFLC is a new one for me, but I’ll look it up and suggest that. When I got out none of that had been phased in and it was pretty barren as far as mental health support went. I hope that has changed but I also have no idea what the current climate is in that regard.

Either way, I’ll give this to Mike so he has a better toolkit to work with his buddy. Thanks much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

rifles posted:

https://www.militaryonesource.mil/benefits/confidential-non-medical-counseling/ is also a fantastic resource for counseling/therapy. It's "non-medical" in that they can't prescribe medication or make any diagnosis, but I used it in the past and had a great experience with a fantastic therapist who helped make some recommendations for me that I took to my primary care. I basically went in and asked what the left/right limits are and then gave my background and we were off from there for 12 sessions. You get 12 sessions per issue, and can update your referral by calling Military OneSource and having them refer you for another issue (ie a family problem, then later a problem adjusting to work etc). It felt like a very wink-wink program in that everyone almost guided me to saying the right things to get a referral from the program. Totally confidential, no notification to CoC etc as well. It can provide what BH doesn't which is continuity, availability, discretion, and actual 1-on-1 therapy.

This is fantastic, thanks. I’ll pass this along asap.