Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have an idea for a goldmine wherein the alibaba/amazon item naming scheme is used in other contexts. Imagine a billboard for the NEW 2023 Hyundai Honda Kia Elantra Civic Car Truck SUV Vehicle Power Steering Blueooth 1.8l 2.4l 3.0l Very Fast Vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How do you navigate reviews? I guess this isn't specific to AE, but I'm so sick of scouring reviews only to find constant conflict of accounts. Half a dozen people say its great, then 4 or 5 say its complete cheap trash. I'm sure there's plenty of review manipulation going on, perhaps on both sides with manufacturers wanting to stifle the competition, as well as prop up their own products.

Besides asking goons, does anyone have any advice on picking the best solution? I know with AE its a crapshoot and you cant rely on much besides accounts like itt, but I'm just wondering if there is some tactics I'm missing here.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want those shorts lowtax had that had poo poo on the front of them (two letters on each leg) along with crucifixes I believe? Actually I think they may have come from Japan, not AE

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I always feel like I could make a career creating brand names for Chinese junk manufacturers so they wouldn't have to sell poo poo under random gibberish names. I guess the margins are too low for them to bother about any such thing. I didn't think Lunex was such a bad name for the shades my wife gave me, til I looked closer and realized its actually Luenx. I mean you can buy tons of literal counterfeit poo poo with actual logos on there, so they cant be that concerned about possible copyright infringement?

Xiaomi makes me mad because I want their phones in the west, where our phone market is dominated and castrated by apple and samsung just releasing tiny incremental upgrades and not pushing the envelope in the least.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=zSThQQ4snDkj

(I dont vape, I just seen the category and thought I'd have a look to see if I could replace the fuckin old thing my mom uses that looks like a real cigarette)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

norp posted:

Does anyone have any idea the chance I get counterfeit Hikvision gear sent to me?

Cant imagine counterfeit hik stuff is any worse than the real poo poo. I'd never buy it for myself, mostly due to their software.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gotta link that poo poo man, I want that sprite pillow

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I can understand the appeal of headphones that take sd cards but it's really a redundant idea with the advent of smart watches or true wireless buds. I mean those aren't catch all's but you're talking a very specific and obscure use case

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bluetooth has gotten a lot better, but it depends on the product too. I've head earbuds where if I'm walking and my arm crosses in front of my side with my phone in my pants pocket, it'll have brief drops. My current Klipsch buds have no such drops though.

Cant imagine why anyone would buy the built in card reader cans though if they can only play straight through.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress a 10' pole, they dont make sticks long enough for me to touch batteries that came from ali with. I got a Duracell set from Costco and also a bunch of amazon basics, which I charge in both the Duracell charger as well as a really old Rayovac thing from 15 years ago that still works but I lost the original batteries for.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This temu site is great. Looking at a small vacuum for my car and the reviews show a garlic press.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I always wanted a pair of shades like Morpheus' in the Matrix so for a five dollar note I ordered a pair today. Cant wait to see how they melt my face

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got an ATOTO F7 stereo off amazon and its been fine, sometimes the Android Auto crashes though and I'm not sure if its the fault of the unit or my phone. I just want my steering wheel controls back and I'd rather get kicked in the face than haul it all out again to gently caress with it. I left them a 4 star review, and in the midst of asking them for help with the wiring they asked me what was the reason for the docked star, I ended up making it 5 and they sent me the backup camera (~$60CAD) for free.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Please dont buy compressed air. Stop being cheap and buy the electric blower, all computer touchers/enthusiasts should own one. Absolute priceless investment.

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Infla...s%2C146&sr=8-14

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone recommended that mono ear bud a while back, and I got the wife to order a couple cause she always listens to poo poo as she goes to sleep. They've been great, no issues and they were like $3 or something.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

On a road trip last week, and I have a car charger from a conference booth and my Pixel 6 was literally draining while plugged in, even with the phone off. It used to work fine with my previous phone. This poo poo doesn't need to be so complicated.

But yeah, never buy anything that plugs in on AE

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are there any rechargeable flashlights on there that are worth a gently caress? I got this thing on clearance at the hardware store but its an emergency flashlight and seems to be built specifically to cause seizures in those vulnerable to them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

When you guys upgrade from aliexpress to the big league of alibaba you can ask the sales guy to give you a tour of your boat and the factory before they ship it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxmqH1MtLqs

Holy gently caress. I watched that guys video about the mini truck. We have a cabin somewhere thats only accessible by boat, about 12km from shore here according to google maps. Wonder if that thing could get me there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The first of my recent foray into AE arrived today, something I've always wanted. Glasses like Morpheus wears in The Matrix

I didn't anticipate how uncomfortable the nose clip would be, I guess you'd get used to it. If you wore them, which in reality I probably wont. But for 2 bucks and change, I wanted to have them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rule #1 of ali, don't buy poo poo that plugs in

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hikvision is trash anyway, we have some of it at work. Looking for security cameras on the cheap, try Reolink. Really easy to use software.

Is there a serviceable Cricut knockoff anyone can recommend? I wanna be able to make my own stickers

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

poo poo. Too bad my printers monochrome

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have one of those tablets at home in a similar predicament but I was never able to bypass the Knox. I did however manage to defeat it on a few phones at work that people turned in with passwords still on them.

My old Nokia 1020 (with the giant rear end camera) had a lovely design where you just needed to remove two screws at the top and the entire display assembly just slid out, which was great when I broke the drat screen. They could definitely make phones more repair friendly if they really wanted to, and I almost dont get why they dont with repairs mostly done by third parties rather than the OEM I'd estimate. I guess better off still raking in what they do rather than spite the mall kiosk folks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That's the kind of thing you could mock up in a 3d printer real quick. drat I need to get one

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'd love to see a goldmine where people have conversations with each other but speak in the way China crap is described in its listings, such as above.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That was one of the first fuckin things I learned when I lived on my own. You dont cheap out on oven mitts unless you want burnt hands.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can someone recommend a dash cam, preferably that allows wireless file transfer and outputs to something less archaic than AVI?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

yoloer420 posted:

I've been using a viofo a129 dashcam from AliExpress for a few years now.

It's been absolutely rock solid.

Thats a little rich for a dash cam for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tips on sizing? I wear 13 usually.

I mean shoes would be the one thing out of all that I'd expect to be consistent with what we get, as its all sweat shop poo poo anyway. I'm a fiend for Skechers but the things dont last.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One of the most fascinating things to me about Ali is how all the fake reviews all focus on shipping time, even explicitly saying they haven't even tried the product. Is that what they take from skimming Amazon reviews? It is a focus there as well, but its not that big of a deal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jan 4th I ordered a couple rechargeable flashlights after someone was talking about them in here. Still waiting, with estimated delivery date not til March 11th or something, its not worth attempting a dispute just yet

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a retro collection but it sits in boxes. I cant imagine actually wanting to use those controllers today for anything. Especially the damned SNES!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

codo27 posted:

Jan 4th I ordered a couple rechargeable flashlights after someone was talking about them in here. Still waiting, with estimated delivery date not til March 11th or something, its not worth attempting a dispute just yet

Posted this yesterday morning, they arrived later that day. Pretty decent for 4 bucks!

First Temu order placed. Wish me luck

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

First Temu order arrived, took 8 days which is amazing for east coast Canada, Prime orders usually take longer. Have yet to get home and see what the crap is like

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lowtax posted a pic once in these shorts I think came from Japan with poo poo written on the front of them split across the two legs, with a crucifix under each pair of letters. Someone find those for me on Ali or wherever, I want them

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Aside from saving a buck, I'm not sure why you'd shy away from a standard Xbone controller. Its dpad is fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

First Temu order arrived in 8 days. Second was made on the 6th, should have gotten it today but probably tomorrow. Third was placed on the 11th, still not in the country yet I dont believe. I got the $5 credit for that. I used that in one more order on Monday, which has also not shipped yet. Slightly concerned.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I find Temu only has a limited amount of things, but many, many copies of them all. Its a bit annoying to browse.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Those keyboards are 100% flimsy cheap poo poo, and the funny part is I believe it was Nissan that used one as a prop in a recent commercial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Humphreys posted:

Has anyone found a decent rechargable compressed air sprayer? Wanting to knock out my constant purchase of canned air.

I'd probably recommend going on amazon for something like this, but if you really wanna do ali,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003649099842.html