Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't Kate Beckinsale a little old for highlights? Latex bodysuit is one thing, but...

I, too, long for a world where wearing a latex catsuit in public is considered less gauche than having highlights in one's hair, but we're just not there yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A cool wig, yes, but highlights no. Highlights seem a townie to me. KB is in her 40's. Even a layered cut would throw off the mysteriousness and slinky badassness of a Bianca Beauchamp style latex catsuit. Might as well have a closeup of her nails too, if you're gonna strip mall it out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

She fits in well regardless. The rest of the cast has become Game of Thrones actors, or people whose singular talent is that they look like Game of Thrones actors.

Fitting that Rhona Mitra is in one of them, who's primary talent is looking like Kate Beckinsale.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The thing that's always struck me about these movies is that it's not really at all about vampires or werewolves, per se. That is the marketing draw, but once your butt is in the seat you get something different. Underworld's characters have almost no classic mystique to them. The vampires in Blood Wars are reduced to derpy, foppish humans that melt immediately in sunlight. Lycans almost never go into wolfman form, they are mostly just a homeless insurgency.

Both sides have been written as being on the brink of extinction for almost the entire series, but the transient hordes are without number and the fops always have another army of underwear models waiting in the wings.

I'm really glad I didn't see this as a double feature with the new Resident Evil this weekend, that could have hurt my soul.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Am I reading the Wikipedia synopsis correctly? At the end of the movie, Kate Beckinsale turns on god mode by drinking her own blood?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Am I reading the Wikipedia synopsis correctly? At the end of the movie, Kate Beckinsale turns on god mode by drinking her own blood?

Nah, it's more of a wanting to recall the memories of her lover thing.

I mean, she could've just remembered it like a normal person, but they've done memory as conveyed through consuming blood as one of the few consistent through-lines of the series, so I can't fault them too much.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The scene of her drinking her own blood is the funniest loving thing in the movie short of her going Super Saiyan and getting frosted tips.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

I, too, long for a world where wearing a latex catsuit in public is considered less gauche than having highlights in one's hair, but we're just not there yet

Her suit isn't even latex anymore, hasn't been since the second movie :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder how many leatherworkers are singlehandedly kept in business by these movies nowadays.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Capn Beeb posted:

Her suit isn't even latex anymore, hasn't been since the second movie :v:

What do you call that material

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Maybe PVC? The boots and the corset are probably leather. At a certain point, the distinction becomes purely academic. I always thought the whole getup looked incredibly silly, anyways. She looks like someone from a scuba diving club who forgot her tanks and flippers at home.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
PVC sounds more right.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Likely a urethane coated elasthane material. PVC gets crinkly and kinda baggy even when measured and cut to fit like latex, so something like elasthane made to look glossy would keep the appearance of the first movie's costume.

I can't really blame the costuming department for making the change; maintaining latex is a really tedious process to begin with, so throw in all the staples of pew pew flippy action sequences and you're gonna be "yo this loving sucks" in a hurry.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Thank you for your sincere replies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Did anyone watch the previous one? Awakening? It anounced how bad it would be pretty early on when not only was Scott Speedman not in it, but they couldn't even find someone who looked like him to get killed in the first five minutes of the movie.

Does this one have anything comparably poor?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I never saw Awakening. Did they ever explain why the hybrid dude wasn't around anymore?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snowman_McK posted:

Did anyone watch the previous one? Awakening? It anounced how bad it would be pretty early on when not only was Scott Speedman not in it, but they couldn't even find someone who looked like him to get killed in the first five minutes of the movie.

Does this one have anything comparably poor?

It came on Syfy a few weeks ago, it's the only reason I knew they were making a new Underworld movie for whatever reason.
It was pretty loving terrible and features a hilariously bad CG super-werewolf, but it's not like being poo poo is unusual for Underworld movies or anything.

They also managed to take that scene they had in all the commercials for the first Underworld movie where Kate Beckinsale falls through the floor by shooting a circle around herself, and went full retard with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow0vNLhDNzI

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 1, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Underworld is better than Twilight.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shaddak posted:

I never saw Awakening. Did they ever explain why the hybrid dude wasn't around anymore?

Basically, humans discovered that vampires and werewolves existed after the second film, which humanity responded by absolutely riddling both of them with bullets. Because apparently you don't really need UV bullets or bullets with silver in them to kill them, you just need to shoot the gently caress out of them. And apply twice more bullet-per-square-inch after that to be extra sure.

Hybrid dude was captured by the humans kinda accidentally, since he was hanging out with Selene. They just put him in a freezer because reasons and they didn't want Scott Speedman anymore. I guess in-universe they realized he was a hybrid and figured they'd need an Aliens-style sentry in front of him to actually kill him.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

They also managed to take that scene they had in all the commercials for the first Underworld movie where Kate Beckinsale falls through the floor by shooting a circle around herself, and went full retard with it.

I mean if that's not the exact sort of thing you want to see, you're watching the wrong series. Awakening is entertaining as heck

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

raditts posted:

It came on Syfy a few weeks ago, it's the only reason I knew they were making a new Underworld movie for whatever reason.
It was pretty loving terrible and features a hilariously bad CG super-werewolf, but it's not like being poo poo is unusual for Underworld movies or anything.

Look at that greatly enhanced budget compared to Blood Wars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

They just put him in a freezer because reasons and they didn't want Scott Speedman anymore.

Nope, they took him out of the freezer, replaced him with someone who looked vaguely like Scott Speedman (some fuckin' white guy) and then blew him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In Awakening a little girl rips a werewolf's face off. It's the best of the series.

• Locked thread