Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So Kahlua + vodka is basically a double vodka with a shot of espresso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
what i wanna know is how is it spelled because all you dee dee dees keep saying different versions.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rediscover posted:

what i wanna know is how is it spelled because all you dee dee dees keep saying different versions.

Yeah I just want a simple answer but there seems to be two sides of the issue, basically how is it correctly spelled and is it Vodka or not? And why would I mix vodka with vodka plus milk or something? That sounds disgusting.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
In the United States, liquor generally refers to plain distilled alcoholic beverages (vodka, whiskey, rum)

Liquer is a sweeter, flavored alcoholic beverage that is formed using a base liquor. They are typically less alcoholic.

Vodka is a liquor having an alcohol content of 40% or greater

Kahlua is a liquer made from rum (a liquor) and flavored with coffee flavor, corn syrup and vanilla. It is 20% alcohol by volume.

Kahlua is not a vodka because it isn't even a liquor to begin with, nor is it made from vodka. It's not just a rum either, because it has a lot of extra poo poo added to it. It's more like a pre-bottled cocktail on its own. Or you can just call it a liquer since we have a name for that sort of thing already.

You mix vodka with Kahlua to make the cocktail more alcoholic since Kahlua is very sweet on its own.

Mixing alcohol with dairy is gross to a lot of people. If you don't like White Russians, don't drink them, moron.

You can find out how to spell it by looking at the mother loving bottle:

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 24, 2017

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

During the first world war, imports of Russian imports of coffee from Turkey were disrupted, so it was replaced it with Kahlua, a coffee flavored liqueur from Mexico. Straight Kahlua was called a "Black Mexican," and Kalhua with cream was called a "White Mexican".

After the Russian revolution, imports from Mexico were also disrupted, forcing Russians to stretch their beloved Kahlua with locally-produced vodka, to create the modern "White Russian," made with vodka, Kahlua, and cream, and the "Black Russian", made with just vodka and Kahlua.

The White Russian proved particularly popular among aristocratic counter-revolutionaries, which led to the anti-Bolshevik forces being dubbed "White Russians".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_movement

Due to this reactionary connection, the drink was banned in Russia until the fall of the Soviet Union, but the government never truly managed to stamp out the illicit production of so-called "fools Kahlua" made from coffee-grounds, methylated spirits, and the residues of industrial beet sugar production. Most who drank this crude liquid went blind or mad, but some became visionaries, poets, and religious mystics. Either way, the gulag inevitably beckoned.

Since the return of democracy, Kahlua has flooded back into the market, and the White Russian has retaken its place as Russia's undisputed national drink. No wedding, christening, or court proceeding is complete without it.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is all very cool to learn. Thank you. I guess my major question is, is it Vodka or not? The posts for the most part have been fun and entertaining, Hell, even educational so far. But basically it seems like some people think it is vodka, and some don't? My question is still why would you mix vodka with vodka?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Black Baby Goku posted:

This is all very cool to learn. Thank you. I guess my major question is, is it Vodka or not? The posts for the most part have been fun and entertaining, Hell, even educational so far. But basically it seems like some people think it is vodka, and some don't? My question is still why would you mix vodka with vodka?

It's really not a major question. I answered it for you already. Remember to drink responsibly, since you clearly have no experience drinking at all.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Ferret King posted:

It's really not a major question. I answered it for you already. Remember to drink responsibly, since you clearly have no experience drinking at all.

Well yeah, you kinda did, but other people said it was Vodka?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There's no "kinda" about it. You're going to have to find peace with that. I wish you luck.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mr Enderby posted:

During the first world war, imports of Russian imports of coffee from Turkey were disrupted, so it was replaced it with Kahlua, a coffee flavored liqueur from Mexico. :words:

This is complete misinformation and borderline revisionist history. The etymology of the cocktail dates from the expansion of the Russian Empire in the 16th century. In the middle ages, the Russian princedoms were tribute states under the rule of the Mongols. The traditional drink of the Mongol court was Kahula, a type of vodka made from rum and coffee. Centuries later when the "tatar yoke" had been scrambled, the Russians Empire grew to the point where they were now ruling lands inhabited by these Mongols. The Russians in these areas commonly drank Kahula with milk added to it as a way of mocking their former rulers (Mongolians are naturally allergic to dairy creamers) and over time the drinks became known as "White Russians" and "Black Russians" referring to citizens of either Slavic or Tatar origin.

'The Mexican beverage with the misspelled name is simply a cheap imitation that originated in trying to cash in on the brief 16th-century-Siberia retro craze that was popular in Mexico City in the 80's. But you know that already, you obviously work for their marketing department.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 24, 2017

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Earwicker posted:

This is complete misinformation and borderline revisionist history. The etymology of the cocktail dates from the expansion of the Russian Empire in the 16th century. In the middle ages, the Russian princedoms were tribute states under the rule of the Mongols. The traditional drink of the Mongol court was Kahula, a type of vodka made from rum and coffee. Centuries later when the "tatar yoke" had been scrambled, the Russians Empire grew to the point where they were now ruling lands inhabited by these Mongols. The Russians in these areas commonly drank Kahula with milk added to it as a way of mocking their former rulers (Mongolians are naturally allergic to dairy creamers) and over time the drinks became known as "White Russians" and "Black Russians" referring to citizens of either Slavic or Tatar origin. The Mexican beverage with the misspelled name is simply a cheap imitation that originated in trying to cash in on the brief 16th-century-Siberia retro craze that was popular in Mexico City in the 80's

So it is vodka?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

So it is vodka?

when you get down to the root of it, yes it is. and to answer your inevitable followup question about why you'd mix vodka with vodka, I suggest you try it yourself when you are old enough and there you will find the answer.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Earwicker posted:

The traditional drink of the Mongol court was Kahula, a type of vodka made from rum and coffee.

I think you mean, "a type of vodka made from vodka and vodka".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

well now thats just semantics

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

You can find out how to spell it by looking at the mother loving bottle:

Practice what you preach: Liqueur.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Black Baby Goku posted:

So it is vodka?

7/10

I admit you got me for much longer than I should have been gullible for.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not trying to "get" anyone. I was just genuinely curious.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
there is only one place this can possibly go from here

how did kahlua influence tank destroyer doctrine

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Hey op, as a new drinker it is not wise to mix vodkas. You'll get a wicked hangover that way!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is that true? Then what exactly is a White Russian, if not two types of vodka?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Really when you think about it, all alcohol beverages are types of vodka.

I mean, sugar is basically just really small potatoes, right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Magic Hate Ball posted:

:stonk:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wait.... what?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Black Baby Goku posted:

Wait.... what?

Well you can put sugar or vodka in coffee, so clearly, somehow potatoes are sugar. It's just logic. Dissolved sugar is clear like vodka.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Starch is a polysaccharide. Sugar is a disaccharide. You stupid fucks.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lassitude posted:

That's basically what I was thinking. Still at a loss about Kaulha being or not being Vodka though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Lassitude posted:

Fruit sugar is not a disaccharide and it's made into wine, which is a grape-based vodka. Your grasp of chemistry lacks opposable thumbs.

I bet you could make some kickass vodka from coffee beans if you used enough of them to make coffee vodka.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish I was old enough to go buy some myself and figure it out.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Fruit sugar is not a disaccharide and it's made into wine, which is a grape-based vodka. Your grasp of chemistry lacks opposable thumbs.

I bet you could make some kickass vodka from coffee beans if you used enough of them to make coffee vodka.

"Sugar". Aka. table sugar. Aka. sucrose. Aka. a disaccharide.

You would be one to start talking about fruits though, wouldn't you?

Black Baby Goku posted:

I wish I was old enough to go buy some myself and figure it out.

Maybe try drinking some out of Rust Martialis' dick.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lassitude posted:

Maybe try drinking some out of Rust Martialis' dick.

What the gently caress is your problem dude?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rust Martialis posted:

Your grasp of chemistry lacks opposable thumbs.

This is a fantastic line and I may steal it for other purposes.

I really, truly hate to say this, but: thanks, BBG, (:gonk:) for making this thread.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wow...this is a thread. Ferret King is the closest to being correct, except a couple quibbles that aren't really worth pointing out.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shooting Blanks posted:

Wow...this is a thread. Ferret King is the closest to being correct, except a couple quibbles that aren't really worth pointing out.

What quibbles? Because honestly I like what he said but others have me pulling in the opposite direction.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Black Baby Goku posted:

What quibbles? Because honestly I like what he said but others have me pulling in the opposite direction.

It's spelled liqueur, and you mix use vodka not just because it increases the alcohol content but also because it is mostly flavorless. It decreases how sugary the drink will seem, without adding additional flavors that other liquors would add.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
This whole thread is this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGex0kLgNok. Good work, OP.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you think about it, the first distilled alcoholic drinks were from fermented milk, so isn't a White Russian really just a recreation of our earliest human experience?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's spelled liqueur...

Yeah, it's pretty simply.
Liquor: any vodka
Liqueur: any sweetened vodka
Liqeur: a sweetened vodka flavoured with coffee, such as Kahula or Kahlua.

A White Russian is a liqeur plus a liquor, plus cream. It does not have any liqueur in it.

So whisky (a type of vodka) plus Kahula, plus cream, is a white Russian.

Wine (a sort of undistilled vodka) plus Kahlua, plus cream, is a white Russian.

But Kahula plus rum (which as Wormskull helpfully pointed out at the start of this thread is vodka sweetened with molasses) plus cream, would be liqueur plus liquor, and thus it would not be a White Russian.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like the guy who thought you're a law student because you said you're going to the bar next year.

Anyways, when you think about it, all alcohol is Vodka with different amounts of water to make it stronger or weaker. Beer is really watered down vodka.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

If you think about it, the first distilled alcoholic drinks were from fermented milk, so isn't a White Russian really just a recreation of our earliest human experience?

[ASK] Shbobdb how rancid his mom's tits were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Lassitude posted:

Perhapbs you should look up the ethanol biosynthetic pathway in yeast, friend?

Clue: both poly-, oligo- and di-saccharides are cleaved into monosaccharides before conversion to vodkas. Glucose and fructose, in the case of your 'SUGAR'. The yeast then makes vodkas from the monosaccharides via pyruvate/acetaldehyde.

Yeast is a happy vodka-maker, it will make vodka from many different forms of sugar. :yum:

• Locked thread