Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023
Stalin stole all my grain and killed my family, but I never hated him. I said "Thank you for your service"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

my_custom_username posted:

Stalin stole all my grain and killed my family, but I never hated him. I said "Thank you for your service"

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
wouldn't "Love the USSR, but hate Stalin" make you a Khruschevite? cassian of imola what is your stance on suppressing revolts in hungary and czechoslovakia

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cassian of Imola posted:

'trotskyism' as such wasn't that offensive or crazy as an ideology. it's more a pejorative term now for splitters and outspoken leftist critics of leftist movements and governments. trot criticism usually focuses on real or perceived antidemocratic practices or tendencies in communist parties or governments. sincere or not, it happens to make their rhetoric line up with right-wing, capitalist criticisms of existing communist power structures. 'trots' are therefore viewed with some justification by all sides as subversive and, as in Cuba, sometimes get support and funding from capitalist foreign powers

e: that said I think 'trot' isn't a really helpful term to distinguish among leftist groups or tendencies in the US, who more or less all take for granted trotsky's actual ideological differences with the third international and stalinism

no one cares about the stated ideology of trots because in material reality they are wreckers and snitches

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Ferrinus posted:

but seriously, folks, if you want an example of an old bolshevik whose theoretical ideas were ahead of his time but who was too bad at politics to avoid getting killed, look no further than nikolai bukharin

they were not ahead they were garbage and belong in the garbage

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

im sure stalin made some mistakes. maybe one day we'll find out what they were

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cassian of Imola posted:

no communism is cool, incl. existing forms of communism, including stuff like agricultural collectivisation. I didn't think Stalin was such hot poo poo what with all the shooting poets, the carving up Poland with Hitler, etc. but the USSR was sweet both as a utopian project and as a real existing place to live. absolutely unimaginable today that a country would, for example, create a massive bureaucracy dedicated to preserving and translating the literatures of dozens of languages and cultures within its borders while also pursuing space exploration and a universal standard of living. pretty sure I'm just the social retard kind of trot not the CIA stooge kind. but who can tell if they're a CIA stooge

we got a prime dsa member : dick sucking association

the dick is short for detective, as in fbi detective for those not in the know

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cassian of Imola posted:

hey quick question op what was the USSR's policy on the Nazis before deciding that defeating them was the best strategy, and what made them change their minds

follow up: is it your contention here that the USSR under Stalin generally supported the CCP over the KMT and is responsible for its success

lol

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Top City Homo posted:

they were not ahead they were garbage and belong in the garbage

personally, i'm glad the right opposition lost same as the left opposition did. still, the modern-day success of china shows us that there's a way for a worker's state to benefit from tightly-controlled lower-to-middle-level marketization

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cassian of Imola posted:

Lucy Liu, the iPhone, Hulk (2003)... what's not to like

You're so loving cool.

Almost as cool as Joe "Steel" Stalin

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

im sure stalin made some mistakes. maybe one day we'll find out what they were

Well, you'll notice I said mistakes on his watch, not his mistakes. It's clear, so much so that even Trotsky had to admit in his own letters, that Stalin was not on the right flank of the party, and fought against opportunist tendencies in the party and the international movement to various degrees at various times, it's unlikely that he was the originator or the driving force of the worst decisions made during his tenure as General Secretary, but let's not pretend the UN vote for partitioning Palestine wasn't disastrous in its consequences, and a serious betrayal of the most basic principles of Marxism-Leninism, or that it was a completely isolated incident. The trend toward appeasement of US imperialism, the delusions of peaceful coexistence that did so much damage under Khrushchev, have clear precedents in the Stalin era, though it's also unlikely that he would have willingly allowed them to go as far as the rightists in the party did after his death. The unjustifiable and ultimately suicidal position of Khrushchev, that the friendship of the USSR and PRC be held hostage to the political submission of the Communist Party of China to the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, also has its own precedent in the split with Tito.*

*it shouldn't be forgotten either, that both splits originated with a party initially taking a stronger line against imperialism than the Soviet line, having their countries treated as enemies for it, and then ultimately resorting to accommodation to that same imperialist threat in reaction.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Apr 26, 2024

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
are we allowed to say that Beria was bad

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

sure was. Yezhov was goddamn worse, which is helpful to understand how much hosed up was the whole situation with the NKVD. A professor in our group said that an apparatus for state security that broke away completely with the Tsarist model while being pro-revolutionary was a major concern of Lenin -- especially when the realities of civil war and intervention caused a bureaucratic hell slog where people involved with the Tsarist secret police faked poo poo and got vouched by a loyal cadre in another city (apparently a common case).

imho, understanding how much of a tremendous loving mess was the situation around the NKVD is how one realizes the scale of the entire political clusterfuck. The Cheka was insufficient to thoroughly destroy that apparatus, the Soviet state couldn't reform it early enough and the careerists, opportunists, saboteurs, political operators and the corrupt used it to defend themselves, yet loyal communists still used the organization itself against the types. With WW2 looming large and the increasingly volatile internal situation in the Soviet Union, the NKVD acted as a many-headed hydra attacking its own heads because of that very situation, which Stalinism proved to be unable to properly address (a critique raised by the CPC, CPV, CP of Cuba, CPY, etc). Stalin correctly (incredibly correctly) axed Yezhov personally, but got blindsided by Beria (et al) who turned it into its own fiefdom. Imho it's pretty reasonable to consider that much of the self-damage of the purges are consequence of those political circumstances

and this failure is exactly what gave the excuse of legitimacy for Khrushchev to just go and gently caress it all up too

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

you're allow to say anything you want, tahts the beautfy of the DSA. weve combined the strengths of joseph stalin thought with the principles of former president barack obama

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

paying dues towards sending gusano delegations to cuba gives me a bit of authority on the topic of stalin, actually

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

stalins only mistake was that he didn't eat trotsky earlier. he filled up on grain too early

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

you're allow to say anything you want, tahts the beautfy of the DSA. weve combined the strengths of joseph stalin thought with the principles of former president barack obama

lol

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/dsaRandR/status/1784000685320618018

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lmao

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

iran? theyre chuds. simple as

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

comedyblissoption posted:

iran? theyre chuds. simple as

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
this genocide is bad. unfortunately, however, everyone who currently opposes the genocide is also bad. Houthi concern trolls hijacking my Temu deliveries hurt everyone, including disabled Gazans who rely on Red Sea shipping to literally eat

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
lol I knew as soon as I saw it there was a reason cassian posted an image of a tweet

Pomeroy posted:

let's not pretend the UN vote for partitioning Palestine wasn't disastrous in its consequences, and a serious betrayal of the most basic principles of Marxism-Leninism, or that it was a completely isolated incident. The trend toward appeasement of US imperialism, the delusions of peaceful coexistence that did so much damage under Khrushchev, have clear precedents in the Stalin era, though it's also unlikely that he would have willingly allowed them to go as far as the rightists in the party did after his death.

Some realpolitik is required and that will mean doing things your principles oppose. It has worked for China. Israel was a huge fail though. Stalinist non-conflict strategies have also worked for China. Don't blame Stalin for Khruschevite prostration beyond the fact that...

Stalin's greatest failing was not organizing the succession better/sufficiently ideologically hardening the party

Also friend I am asking you to use more paragraphs please

Ferrinus posted:

personally, i'm glad the right opposition lost same as the left opposition did. still, the modern-day success of china shows us that there's a way for a worker's state to benefit from tightly-controlled lower-to-middle-level marketization

I think this sort of marketization can't generally work immediately after the revolution, otherwise it's unlikely to be tightly controlled.

Is there some part of Bukharin's work you would recommend as particularly forward thinking beyond supporting the NEP as a sort of proto Dengism? Or did he advance that idea much beyond the actually existing NEP?

I've got to find a good history of all these soviet communist conflicts and dramas so I don't have to read all these dead enders works

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Houthis, like Stalin, are ftw

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

posting words I wrote elsewhere to address this Stalin slander re: Israel:

he didn't ideologically support the ethnostate, it was an attempt to counter British imperialism in the middle east, which if successful would've had massively positive effects for both the arab nations and the soviet union

as soon as israel started aligning with the west, the soviets correctly withdrew any support. but that same western alignment clearly demonstrates that had stalin not supported the formation of israel it would've happened regardless due to the eventual western support

he made a calculated play to improve conditions for the middle east and the soviet state, and when it didn't pan out he bailed. sometimes you have to take risks in order for better things to become possible

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the d stands for democrats.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Lpzie posted:

the d stands for democrats.

that’s right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cassian of Imola posted:

this genocide is bad. unfortunately, however, everyone who currently opposes the genocide is also bad. Houthi concern trolls hijacking my Temu deliveries hurt everyone, including disabled Gazans who rely on Red Sea shipping to literally eat

:jerkbag: