Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

i get the feeling this is going to be the best fight in the series so far

We already have the best opening blows of any fight so far.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

I wish this series had a much stricter editor so that we could cut the crap and not still be reading this tournament arc in 2022.

In most cases a tournament arc feels out of place and just a cheap way for the author to showcase fighters without having to properly design multiple encounters. But this arc is literally based around the idea of pit fighters going at it 1v1 and the flow of the story is set up to give proper characterization to pretty much every fighter shown. It works extremely well and it sets Kengan Asura apart from the rest.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Aliens invade -> Galactic Tournament

So big bad boys from outer space? Sent here to body slam the human race?

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 2, 2017

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

yeah like from a storytelling perspective or whatever obviously this is pretty garbage (esp that chapter that was literally just introducing the fighters and nothing else) but Kengan Ashura has decided to be this and be this so hard that its actually good. You will never read a manga that is more invested in a tournament arc.

I can't really think that KA is poorly written. Stuff like setting up fighters outside of fights is important because this isn't the kind of series where fighters only need to exist for one match. Heck, characters like Jerry stick around to give color commentary and there are a number of relationships and friendships between fighters that get shown between matches. So instead of just diving into each fight and having blows, the fighters are fairly consistently getting fleshed out between, and in a fight to make them more than just [guy with fighting technique]

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

Good news everyone, turns out that our favorite muscular professor is still alive.

I'm pretty sure this story takes place before Kengan Asura. It's pretty hard to justify this guy surviving his head being rotated several hundred degrees, even with all the crazy stuff being present.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jun has to win, because otherwise how is he going to inspire the former STRONGEST MAN OF THE HIMALAYAS to become a pro wrestler?

I believe in pro wrestling, and I believe that Jun will inspire Haru to get back on his feet by taking the beating his mentor couldn't and winning. This last chapters flashback solidified my impression that Jun Is going to win. Dude has a lot on his back whereas Sumo has nothing but a confused stance on what Sumo is.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-010-Ch-081?id=385419

Rihito's fingers can tear flesh, but his opponent's fingers can carve rock / concrete. Rihito's so screwed.

C and D block are honestly the fights I'm most looking forward too just off of first impressions from the boat ride and this chapter solidifies it. I want this "dream" to never end.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The fact that this was a collaboration for Street Fighter 4 lets me know how long the series has been running.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Knew this was coming and it still ticks me off. One of the more interesting concepts and nothing comes from it.

The only upside is that revenge is a dish best served with a beard

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

How does the phrase go? Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe after weird freaks like Kiryu and Inaba, the third guy that people are scared of is just using Karate with rock-breaking hands.

Turns out the scariest dude is the guy who practices an actual martial arts instead of tentacle hair or twister fists.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's uncertain if this happens before or afterwards but prequel is a strong possibility.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Chapter's up on HnG.

Rihito :smith:

It's up on Mangadex as well

Yet again, Rihito is the butt of the universes joke

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

it still hurts even months after reading the raws

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Been a while since I read the raws (like months, so I'm actually behind on whatever is current) but Gensai and Rihito I think kinda bro up after his loss later on, or Rihito hangs around him.
Gensai seems to be training Rihito, or at the very least allows Rihito to join him in his morning training routine. You have a couple of fighters pair off in a mentor/mentee role like Jun and the Himilayan guy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

VgameT posted:

It takes more than a good punch to kill THE Murobuchi Gozo.

He'll be back. After he picks up his teeth and gets back his immaculate smile.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

It's really annoying coming to this thread to read Kengan Ashura stuff but realise most of the new posts are about another series.

Can you Danberu make your own thread? I'm probably in the minority here.

They have the same author and constant crossovers since they take place in the same universe. I don't see a problem. Plus a Danberu thread would be very slow since only a few people post about it with any regularity.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Did...
Did Hibiki go super-saiyan?
Her lil' hair thingies stood up.

Before (nervous):

After:
She is the legendary: SUPAH GYARU!

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 5, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
First PV for Kengan Asura is out. Going to be handled by Larx Entertainment and directed by Seiji Kishi with music by Yasuhara Takanashi if those names mean anything to you (they don't to me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnvf_Wp7ONo

I really hope it's not going to be CG, television CG has not been consistently good at all over the years.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

i just realised if you read what nogi actually says

don't look for hidden meanings, just take it completely at face value

the guy nogi hired is a literal janitor

If he wanted a cleaner he should have hired Garcian Smith

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

i've got all my money on bando yohei, which isn't much since i lost it all on mr sumo a dozen or so chapters ago

I figured you would be working off your debt at a soap land.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's time for one of my favorite fights. Not because it's got the best action, but because these two are creepy as hell.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Bando was the one who killed yakuza. Hos hobby in med school was raiding yakuza offices and killing them all. Bando has the moral high ground imo.

It would be the reverse. The doctor eliminated dangerous cults and other groups as a government agent. Bando did a single calculated rampage and spent the rest of his life in prison defying the death penalty. Yeah Bando killed some Yakuza, and that's a net positive for the people they were harming, but the Good Doctor has effectively ended a global crisis before it could even start saving millions.

Also we're not sure if Bando did that because he believed in helping others. I can see him doing that because Yakuza would be a good excuse to test his body out on dangerous people.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Layers upon layers of deception.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Don't read this if you're not reading raws. Seriously

Agito broke all of Gensai's fingers, but Agito still went down. Hard. Thank loving god, what a boring waste of a character.
https://i.imgur.com/GfDhZjR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YSRmZkr.jpg

such a satisfying fight there was a translation thread on 4chan aND the chapter is amazing. Having Gensai go from a literal nobody to the top of the dog pile has been one long ride and I'm ashamed I doubted he could beat Rei or Agito.

Agito closes by swearing that one day he'll pay Gensai back for this defeat, and Gensai applauds him on his strength. As boring as Agito's gimmick was, he got a good loss.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Atlas is Frank Fontaine.
But Atlas is Irish and Fontaine is dead.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

the chapter is out but kissmanga is now telling me to disable adblock and its not on mangadex yet. how do i get around the kissmanga block?

turns out i'm blind but getting around that block would be nice

https://mangadex.org/chapter/270660/1

So the president of the university was friends with Bando and this was not just him cleaning up his universities mistake.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Jerry continues to prove that side characters are not wasted in this series.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Chapter. Backstory time
which is the death sentence for fighters
https://mangadex.org/chapter/309023

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 11, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This is easily my favorite fight so far.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

I think it's interesting to learn that Agito is apparently not the first Fang.

I assumed it was just hit title, but I guess Fang might just mean anyone who fought for Metsudoh in the Kengan Tournaments? Would that make the Kure patriarch the first Fang?

Makes sense since Metsudo has been around for a long time and it was already stated that the Patriarch of the Kure clan helped him get into power in the first place. Maybe he was the first "fang" then.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

That guy falls into the "freakish superhuman prodigy of talent and training" category. It's just that his training is to be really good at bullshitting instead of punching.

I'm kind of disappointed that he got knocked out in the first round but I can also see why from a narrative standpoint. Dude's gimmicky as heck and went against Hatsumi who I figured isn't going to job out in the first round. Although I'm inclined to believe Wakatsuki that the guy actually stood a chance at winning against Hatsumi and it wouldn't have been as onesided as Rihito vs Gensai (Rest in Piece superman).

Copy Cat just made a tactical error and tried to use a martial arts his opponent was already versed in and paid the price. Dude was at least strong enough for people in Hatsumi's weight class but I don't see how useful being a copy cat would be against the real thing like Gaolang or Okubo. Or against the heavier guys like Haru or Julius.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Enough lamenting how long it will take to catch up it's wrasslin time
https://mangadex.org/chapter/406886/1

from the last page, I appreciate the author knowing that Boxers tend to be perpetually dunked on by other traditional martial arts in manga and such and didn't go that same road. I also find it funny that Gaolang just can't deal with Saw either.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter as well: https://mangadex.org/chapter/408682/1
Okubo is doing great but man does that last page make me think Fang was just rolling with everything for shits and giggles

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

What did Okubo's comment at the end refer to? His actual body or Fang's fighting style?

I think his comment means that Agito managed to mitigate that last attack specifically and maybe all of Okubo's stuff by going along with it. not having any resistance to me means that Agito was just playing along

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Got destroyed by my man Okubo.
May he rest in peace

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I am really excited for round 2. All the jobbers and weaker fighters have been discarded, now it's time for the real contenders to duke it out. Hell's angel vs the strongest creature in Africa is the match I'm most looking forward too. The embodiment of wrestling vs the daredevil assassin, that's the stuff of dreams.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Thats honestly a possibility. This is going to be tough for Jun since he has a no-blocking philosophy and his opponent isn't shy about lethal moves and targeting vitals or maiming his opponent.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm not saying he will. he won't just sit and take the attacks though

I'm not saying it's a big deal either, but it's a problem that this style of fighting has. Being willing to absorb your opponents attacks is a mixed bag and we saw that in the fight vs the sumo wrestler. It stands to reason that Jun, one of the most respected and seasoned fighters in the association, will have countermeasures for such attacks. But that doesn't mean that his particular combat philosophy won't come back to bite him against someone like mutembe who does aim to kill.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

When he was meditating and we found out that Awakening wasn't a technique Niko taught him he told him that he's been neglecting like half of the styles he taught him.

Phantom Niko then noted that something is different from "then". Regarding Ohma's aptitude or training of the 4 katas. So it's possible that he's actually mastered the other two katas as well and just isn't using them. Ohma's a mess though mentally so that's probably related to why he's only using his past proficiencies as well as defaulting to the advance when in a tight spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The Flame and Redirection katas are a lot more aggressive than the Water and Adamantine katas so that might have something to do with it. Although, all the face bleeding might've made him more aggressive than he used to be so he just doesn't use them anymore. Like how when he's using the Advance he can't use any martial arts at all.
Given what we've seen flashback/phantom Niko do with the adamantine kata (breaking concrete with a tackle and hardening fingers) I'm not convinced the other two are any less aggressive, just that Ohma lacks the creativity of his master. Water Kata likewise is about holds and locks and if the current fight has shown anything these are really good offensive options. And that arm hold phantom niko used is a good example of this.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Let's just hope he doesn't default ON the advance.

HAW.
HAW.
HAW.

I hate you, you beautiful bastard.