Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rihito could rip through Julius's neck and destroy him instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Orochi is probably the coolest Baki character. Definitely up there at least.

Glad he was the focus of this short crossover.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Once the tournament is over I hope we go back to my boy Koga learning how to punch good by training with all the cool characters who didn't get to show up this arc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is kinda feeling underwhelming to me as like a finale for this tournament.

I like Ohma a lot, particularly in the latter half of Asura where he saves his rival's soul through martial arts and then has a bunch of sick fights and dies but he hasn't done anything in Omega. So although he has big returning protagonist vibes this all feels kinda anticlimactic unless they're gonna do something real interesting with The King.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean prior to this fight Ohma also hadn't exactly done much for the last 40 chapters either.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It will be cool when Koga gets a fight with Ryuki to save his soul from the worm or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's a classic characterisation for a punch mans manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He likes fighting though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He doesn't want to make millions though he wants to fight

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cool fight honestly like a lot of the later Ohma fights from Asura.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Lol, so I guess Rolons thing is using extremely basic and simple moves that turn into overwhelmingly powerful and nigh-unstoppable techniques just by the virtue of Rolon being THAT awesome

So you're saying he's like Kuroki?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The format of this purgatory tournament hurts the new characters a lot because they only really have 1 fight to show off unlike the fighters from Ashura. Like, some guys with big enough personalities can get away with just having 1 fight like Nicholas or the deadly doctor from Ashura but the more subdued guys ain't getting as much opportunity to be more fleshed out.

Like I don't think Rolon is that much more boring than Round 1 Kuroki or anything but he's already here in the final match without having the time to become Round 4 Kuroki. I still like him though because this feels like a fight with a story that isn't just opposing gimmicks or a clash of similar styles and there hasn't been a whole lot of that this tournament.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The weakest fight in Ragnarok was Thor v Lu Bu and it was still pretty solid.

This style of tournament can definitely be done super well (most tournament arcs are like it) but I don't think it plays to Kengan's strengths.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One of the better fights of the tourney. Ohma is still cool.

Kinda lackluster for a final match though.

E:Kinda hosed up that in like 13 matches I think this was the first one that had Koga actually comment on stuff and like keep up. Feels like that shoulda been a bigger part of this arc.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 2, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chaos Triangle posted:

Biggest disappointment for me is that they made that big deal about how little techniques like pushing your opponent's knee out end up making the difference in extremely high-level matches back in Ashura and then never revisited that principle

Like if Ohma had thrown Rolon's knockout blow off with that exact move, that would have been hype as poo poo, but busting out a Kure technique doesn't have the same impact

I think you just accidentally described what the Kure secret technique was.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I believe in him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

How is this where you draw the line?

One of the earlier fights in the Ashura tournament involved a man with retractable bone swords that could build up gas in his heel to make his feet explode.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mickey Mouse guy is some dude who's there to get owned and that's fine I think. It's ok if a character without a lost of focus or screentime gets chumped.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Who in turn got insta-chumped by Kuroki.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He did

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its hosed up Kaneda's still only really had one fight

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I thought we only saw the aftermath of that one? Guess i'm misremembering.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Plutonis posted:

i wish koga megamanned other fighting styles than the niko style because that could have some legs, i'm really liking him lately but don't care much for him using ohma's bullshit

Yeah it was sweet how in the earlier fights he was using wrestling stuff.

Like I guess this match is supposed to be "Setsuna vs Ohma" in a way but with the story being that Gaoh using Setsuna's poo poo actually ain't really helping it feels like there should be more of a twist with Koga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Am genuinely surprised anyone is disappointed by Willem Wu, a guy who clearly meant nothing at all.