Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Why should you read Kengan Ashura?

It has action!!!

It has comedy!

It has politics! :smugdon:

It has capitalism battles!!

It has anime women! (LGBT friendly)

It has Jerry fuckin' Tyson, the human SCUD missile!!!

And it has these cute intermissions, where the creators talk about their behind-the-scenes process:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mary Annette posted:

It is much better than Baki.

Bushmeister posted:

Wanna see the big-rear end fishing industry grandpa fight soon.

:yeah:

Big rear end fishing industry grandpa. Enjoys fishing, beer, and duels to the death.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kengan ashura is kind of like baki if everyone in baki wasn't covered in grotesque tumors

Hm... Kengan Ashura is kind of like Baki if everyone wasn't male, and there were actually some female characters.

But Jose is right, both are good.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

RatHat posted:

There's only 1 that's a fighter though, and she's not even in the tournament.

Sure, but a bunch of the CEOs are women, who are important/influential characters within the context of the story.

Compare that to Baki:
There's Baki's girlfriend, Kozue. And Baki's Mom, Emi. :rip: Neither are fighters.

There's Tokugawa's sister (who appears for like, what, 3 chapters) and who else? Being very generous, we'll include Jack Hanma's Mom, Jane, who is barely ever seen, and Natsuki, Doppo's wife. Although she rarely gets a cameo. Oh, and there's Yujiro's Mom, who was extorted by her infant son.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hate-Senpai posted:

Wrestler dude is probably my favorite so far. I love his personality and his fighting philosophy a ton

Yeah, he's awesome.

Also, the artist pokes fun at their all-male fighting cast:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hate-Senpai posted:

The dude's system of "rights" and "responsibility" is really neat and I hope he gets to shine more in the tournament.

This guy is a perfect fit for the manga. :allears:

His character design reminds me of some badass wrestlers from the manga Garouden, mixed with WWE wrestlers.

El Burbo posted:

All the girls in this series are top-tier

Definitely. Togo Tomari is somehow scary and cute. She's a wonderful broke brained weirdo.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

K. Flaps posted:

Murder Music CEO lady ftw.

:3: She's cute. Haven't seen much of her in the English translations, yet.

I also like Soryuin Shion, the Koyo Academy Group Chairwoman. She's too cool for everybody, and is always smoking a cigarette.

Apparently her sister is featured in Sandrovich's other manga, Danberu nan kiro moteru? I'll have to check that out.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 1, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

Yup. Her sister is the rich girl with a muscle fetish in Danberu.

Nice, thanks for the reply. The Thai God of War character kinda reminds me of Zarbon from DBZ, haha.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The full page of I WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES is incredible

Yeah, what can be said about Karla without getting banned...

Let's just describe her as a teenager with a crush on the main character.

El Burbo posted:

There are lots of little cross references and cameos like this

Haha, is Karla wearing a Koyo academy uniform here? Seems like it.

Does she attend school there? Pretty cool, I see what you mean by all the little references.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 1, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the bit in that one bonus chapter where she imagines Ohms and Setsuna making out is hilarious

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

K. Flaps posted:

Chapter 50 is out

Thanks! Great chapter. Here's a link for the lazy.

Rangpur posted:

Some brutal panels in this one, though I was kind of expecting the ending stinger since Ohma said "neither of them was fighting seriously," earlier. Seems unlikely it will mean an upset, but I wouldn't have expected Motobe to lose to a Sumo wrestler either. Also another example of rundown salaryman's curiously on-point fighter analysis.

As Plutonis would say, Motobe didn't have his ninja tools. :ninja:

Rundown salaryman Kazuo Yamashita continues to be one of the best characters in the manga, with his on-point analysis, amazing facial expressions, and genuine commitment to being a good dad. I especially love the scene when Ohma meets his kids. Kazuo's character arc has been one of my favorite things about the series so far.

Jose posted:

a lot of them seem obvious but who knows with this manga. in massive spoilers though cosmo is on the volume 11 over

Missing Homer, but loving your new avatar.

Work Friend Keven posted:

The time for dreams has ended. Now let's see the "true potential" of the strongest man of the Himalayas.

:hai:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Sarcophallus posted:

True. I'd written them off as weird fanservice.

:gethill:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Fabricated posted:

It's weird how Rihito went from a weirdo psychopath to a kinda funny likeable dude, but I like it.

Shame he's going to be the designated jobber of the series.

Agreed, I really hope Rihito doesn't become a jobber, since he appears to be the spiritual successor to Hanayama Kaoru from Baki. Both men were born with superhuman hand/grip strength:

Rihito:

Hanayama:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Sarcophallus posted:

I made a lovely bracket!

If the whole thing goes uninterrupted I think it'll go something like this.
Excellent predictions here. But I'm curious, why do you think Julius Reinhold will defeat Tokita Omha? Ohma seems to have answers for huge opponents. Although I agree Setsuna will make it to the finals.

:rip: Hatsumi Sen of the Clouds

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Sarcophallus posted:

I don't think Ohma is going to fight Kiryu yet. It feels too early for a face-off against what will probably be the big-bad of the series. From a story-telling perspective, Ohma has been so far dipping his toes into what I would consider the shallow side of the pond, and beating someone of Imai or Akoya's caliber (assuming Akoya wins) would put him in the stronger half of the Kengan fighters, which is a considerable accomplishment. I think the current top two plot-wise are Julius and Hatsumi Sen, with Kiryu being the wildcard newcomer that puts the whole thing on its head.

Interesting. Would Ohma vs. Kiryu happen at the end of the manga, then? Going by your predictions, it would be pretty cool to see Julius get seriously injured in his fight against Ohma, then turn around and enter a match with Kiryu with a handicap.

Also, I think Lt. Lizard has a point, none of us seem to be taking Wakatsuki Takeshi too seriously, despite his excellent Kengan record and ridiculous strength:

Wakatsuki literally went all one-punch-man on that poor bastard. Maybe we'll eat our words when he ends up being a real contender. If Sarcophallus's predictions are correct, Wakatsuki Takeshi vs. Julius Reinhold could end up becoming one of the best matches yet. Two extremely hard-hitting characters duking it out. :yeah:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Following the predictions from Sarcophallus, Murder Sentai should face off against Ohma and lose, which is good. Akoya is too boring to advance to the end of the tournament, but he's the perfect opponent to demonstrate Ohma's strength and technique.

Bushmeister posted:

stay safe burger ghost

:rip:

Ytlaya posted:

I hope Rihito doesn't lose his first match, even though it's pretty likely. Also can you imagine how hosed that guy from the first fight of the series would have been against these guys?

Yeah, I think the first opponent would get KO'ed immediately, since it looks like these characters are in a different league. It's kinda similar to Toriko, when we'd be introduced to a bunch of ridiculously strong new characters/antagonists. Please don't get jobbed, Rihito.

Grandpa Kure has to be a monster. I wonder if he'll attempt some kind of sneak-attack on Ohma.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 10, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

chefscientist posted:

I'm liking this comic.

Is the Nentendo CEO is Nester all grown up? http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nester

Haha, you might be right! Nice find. I thought he was based off the Lemonhead candy mascot, but I can totally see him being a grown up Nester, too.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I like the priest who don't wanna let anyone gently caress his girl... I hope he kicks this guys rear end. But the assassin guys gotta win.

The prison guy is old and horseshoe bald with a beard iirc

K. Flaps posted:

He's wearing normal clothes and is sitting with the other spectators now. He's the one who explained Haruo getting thinner last fight.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

RatHat posted:

Haha "Medically impossible". What manga does he think he's in?

Medically impossible, so what

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, is this by the ketchup ninja guy?

After reading Ketchup Ninja, I totally understand how Adam Dudley came to be. :911:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

whats ketchup ninja about and is it worth reading?

it's about a ninja lady who lives in America and goes to school, so there's a lot of humor about all the cultural differences between Japan and America. It's not bad.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Haru better come back. :colbert:

Also, I read ahead, because I'm impatient and this manga owns. Here's a few non-spoiler preview images. I'll put them in spoiler tags, just to be safe:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 19, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

you reading japanese or korean or just ignoring the text?
I'm just an ignorant American, so I can't read Korean or Japanese. Similar to Baki Dou, Kengan Ashura is pretty straight forward, so it isn't too difficult to figure out what's happening in the RAWs, especially with the tournament format.

Ketchup Ninja was translated into English though, if you're interested.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose, I think you'd enjoy Danberu nan kiro moteru? by Sandrovich, the same author. It's really good. It's been translated into english, and the writing is pretty funny.

I won't post preview pics, since it's got a lot of NSFW/lewd content, but there's some crossover between that manga and Kengan Ashura.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

He would lose to Hanayama Kaoru

Ytlaya posted:

Raian whipped out his dick and pissed blood all over Rihito.
That's Shounen for hello.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Begemot posted:

I hope the priest wins because there are already enough Kures running around and Raian seems like the most boring one.

Also I really like the name Mokichi Robinson.

Is it possible Robinson was partially inspired by Mozgus from Berserk? Both are super calm, tranquil priest characters, who suddenly have episodes of explosive rage.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

Mikazuchi Rei has his priorities right.

I was sold on Robinson being inspired by Mokichi Okada, but the backstory we got in this chapter was pretty cool, too.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 2, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

The name of Mokichi's martial art style (Baritsu) is based on a fictional martial arts in Sherlock Holmes, but the description of Mokichi's fighting style and his ancestor's backstory is based on a real fighting style (Bartitsu) that Sherlock Holmes' Baritsu is also based on.

I love everything about this post and manga, Bartitsu is just incredible. :monocle:

A portrait of E.W. Barton-Wright, with a montage of Bartitsu self defence techniques

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 2, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

i'm curious about what Fang of Metsudo's gimmick will be. He actually doesn't have much of a "final boss" look to him.

Here's a preview of Fang when he's in "final boss" mode, I tried to find non-spoilerish images:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 17, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Plutonis posted:

those are just attack on titan panels gently caress off

lol

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The Kure Sniper girl is top tier:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Macksy posted:

also fang of mustard is a dead ringer for toffee from star vs the forces of evil.

It's uncanny
This is amazing. :stare:

HenryEx posted:

That looks p. lame tbh
Does he look too generic as a villain? How did you imagine it?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like when the ceo and their fighter are buds

gimme those gat dang TVs

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

RatHat posted:

It does mess up his arms though.

Oliva's wounds were only superficial, everything healed up after he ate dinner.

And Julius might be strong, but he lacks Oliva's sophisticated palate:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 17, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

My mistake, RatHat. I bet Niko could probably take Oliva. He gives off serious Hiko Seijuro vibes, you just know Ohma's master is a monster.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Che Guevara used a similar attack in Baki, he made a weapon out of his braided hair and would destroy his opponent's inner-ear, causing them to lose their balance

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hate-Senpai posted:

SUMO VERSUS WRESTLING gently caress YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

verbal enema posted:

I look forward to Muteba just chillaxin for a few chapters

I look forward to his best girl CEO, Togo Tomari, gloating over everybody.