Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Floodixor posted:

Hey I've read it a few times and am curious what DreamWorks face is

Put the smug slider to 100%, raise one eyebrow, lower the other, add a grin that shows too much teeth and with a slightly asymmetrical shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

its literally the first hit if you GIS dreamworks face

Barudak
May 7, 2007

razamataza posted:

its literally the first hit if you GIS dreamworks face

I like how its spread far beyond Dreamworks now, as per that picture

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Barudak posted:

I like how its spread far beyond Dreamworks now, as per that picture

The great thing is is that it makes sense for Buzz Lightyear who is incredibly cocky, at least initially. Boss Baby? Who knows!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the boss baby T.V. show is funny

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i dunno i think it's getting lost in the weeds with the budgetary issues subplot

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

boss baby puts on a maga hat and starts loudly farting and talking about witch hunts

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Boss Baby is the Dark Souls 2 of Dreamworks

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

Boss Baby is the Dark Souls 2 of Dreamworks

I kinda agree with that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Orcs Must Die 1, 2, and 3 have no business being good but drat it they're excellent games

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I just bought Quantum Break a Remedy game I never knew existed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Orcs Must Die 1, 2, and 3 have no business being good but drat it they're excellent games

Hell yeah. Im ready for Orcs Must Die 4.

I thought it was kind of neat in OMD 3 that they committed to basically all new traps for the main campaign and and that they did still include the other traditional traps from previous games for the post game.

numberoneposter posted:

I just bought Quantum Break a Remedy game I never knew existed.

You'd think you dont know it because it was an Xbox One exclusive, but you'll soon learn its because its not very good and if you make it all 6(?) hours to the end one of the worst final bosses of the generation.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Barudak posted:

You'd think you dont know it because it was an Xbox One exclusive, but you'll soon learn its because its not very good and if you make it all 6(?) hours to the end one of the worst final bosses of the generation.
As much as I liked Control (eventually after it gave you enough powers to be fun) it had some bad boss fights, especially the expansion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

As much as I liked Control (eventually after it gave you enough powers to be fun) it had some bad boss fights, especially the expansion.

The bosses in control were a genuine step up in quality versus Quantum Break. Its not even hard once you understand what it wants from you, but it communicates that poorly and with insane punishment.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The worst boss fights in history relative to the rest of the game have to be Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's worth putting XP into the skill that shoots out little grenades (Typhoon?) and hoard ammo for it just to take care of boss fights quickly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The game shouldn't have had "boss fights" in the first place. The original Deus Ex didn't, at least not in the traditional sense.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SCheeseman posted:

The game shouldn't have had "boss fights" in the first place. The original Deus Ex didn't, at least not in the traditional sense.

To be fair it kind of did. Anna, Gunther, Simons and Page were all boss fights, you could just skip or take them down unconventionally. The Redux version did a pretty good job of ameliorating the problems imo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been trying to play FFXIV recently because everyone told me it's actually way cooler than other MMOs but this is the most tedious bullshit imaginable.

I just leveled up from 71 to 72. I think I fought 3 enemies the entire time. Everything else was literally just running around large zones talking to NPCs, doing a quest where you take a shower by right clicking on it, doing several quests where you have to go to an area and just walk around until you find an NPC to talk to, several quests where an NPC sent me to the opposite side of a zone just to pick up a piece of fruit or whatever for them then deliver it back to where they were. And this is the "main story quest" at a pretty high level. You can only get one of those quests at a time so you can't even load up your quest log and do a bunch at once. There are other quests that you can do at the same time but they give about 5% of the experience that a main story quest does, which is like a small fraction of a single percentage of one level, so doing them just slows you down. Also you can't skip these main story quests because everything in the game is gated behind them. There are a billion cutscenes where nothing happens and some of them are even unskippable.

The only reason I've been able to play it up to this level is because I have a ton of downtime at work with nothing to do but I don't think I'm going to keep playing it, this is legitimately the most boring MMO I have ever played.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Ehhh. It absolutely has named characters with a gimmick to them some of whom are tougher than a standard enemy that you are potentially forced into a dialog->combat encounter with. Its just, you know, you can do things to bypass them completely, undermine them, or just exploit the fact that they aren't all that much tougher so you can just kill them with heavy ordinance.

They did change the fights for the directors cut version of human revolution but its kind of a lipstick on a pig problem where they were obviously designed by a different studio and arent put into the game properly so they're always bad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MMO Enjoyers are insane, I hope this helps

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

To be fair it kind of did. Anna, Gunther, Simons and Page were all boss fights, you could just skip or take them down unconventionally. The Redux version did a pretty good job of ameliorating the problems imo

When I think "boss fight" I think of a moment where the game stops, you're locked into an arena and you need to kill the thing with the big health bar. In Deus Ex those characters were just NPCs in the world like all the other NPCs. You didn't really have to fight or even engage with most of them.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

numberoneposter posted:

the boss baby T.V. show is funny

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah people told me FF14 was like a good single player RPG but it was boring as poo poo and had terrible long winded writing about how I was supposed to deliver messages to people for 50 hours straight. And I got it to play with friends but despite being a multipler game there was less coop stuff to do than when we played Dark Souls.

I don't know how it stacks up to other MMOs but it doesn't come close to anything single player.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah people told me FF14 was like a good single player RPG but it was boring as poo poo and had terrible long winded writing about how I was supposed to deliver messages to people for 50 hours straight. And I got it to play with friends but despite being a multipler game there was less coop stuff to do than when we played Dark Souls.

I don't know how it stacks up to other MMOs but it doesn't come close to anything single player.

It's one of those weird things where the super slow pacing leads to some truly unique payoff moments that really resonate with some people. It's definitely not for everybody, that's for sure.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
NetHack is still my favorite game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SCheeseman posted:

[...]
When I think "boss fight" I think of a moment where the game stops, you're locked into an arena and you need to kill the thing with the big health bar. In Deus Ex those characters were just NPCs in the world like all the other NPCs. You didn't really have to fight or even engage with most of them.

I mean yes Deus Ex did, they may have not had big cutscene lead-ins, but Natasha/Gunther/Simmons are absolutely boss fights. Natasha in particular is a two-enter-one-leaves fight in a locked room, unless you exploit a bug. I guess you could say the bosses are a bit more diagetic, if I'm using that word right?

Human Revolution's bosses where a bit of... a change of pace, but I never really gave credence that they where inappropriate, unlike a popular sentiment at the time. The game showers you with firearms, its fundamental premise, so anyone who ditched all guns before walking into a bossfight can go to the great effort of pressing quickload and grabbing a nearby pistol then just clicking on the boss's head a few times.

edit: mixed up HR with MD.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 21, 2024

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The worst boss of human revolution is resiting the OCD urge to open all the desk drawers and read all the emails in Montreal.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I really really didn't like Mankind Divided. I basically didn't have any reason to care the whole game. Nothing clicked for me.

HR is still pretty sweet though and I've done a few replays.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been trying to play FFXIV recently because everyone told me it's actually way cooler than other MMOs but this is the most tedious bullshit imaginable.

I just leveled up from 71 to 72. I think I fought 3 enemies the entire time. Everything else was literally just running around large zones talking to NPCs, doing a quest where you take a shower by right clicking on it, doing several quests where you have to go to an area and just walk around until you find an NPC to talk to, several quests where an NPC sent me to the opposite side of a zone just to pick up a piece of fruit or whatever for them then deliver it back to where they were. And this is the "main story quest" at a pretty high level. You can only get one of those quests at a time so you can't even load up your quest log and do a bunch at once. There are other quests that you can do at the same time but they give about 5% of the experience that a main story quest does, which is like a small fraction of a single percentage of one level, so doing them just slows you down. Also you can't skip these main story quests because everything in the game is gated behind them. There are a billion cutscenes where nothing happens and some of them are even unskippable.

The only reason I've been able to play it up to this level is because I have a ton of downtime at work with nothing to do but I don't think I'm going to keep playing it, this is legitimately the most boring MMO I have ever played.

it's possible to get to max level just by running dungeons & raids, or playing side content modes like Bozja, since that's how people level their second+ classes on one character (proper dungeons give way more xp than the random 5 bear asses sidequests)
but you'd still have the problem of all the content (including the dungeons you need to level up) being locked behind the story unless you either played through it manually or bought a "main story quest skip" ticket from the cash shop

i think it's real dumb that MMOs sell stuff like quest skips and level boosts for real money.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i think it's real dumb that MMOs sell stuff like quest skips and level boosts for real money.

In particular for FFXIV, it's absolutely nonsensical. The whole story is gradually scaffolded in a way where just jumping into it midway is a sure-fire way to have a bad time,

Barudak
May 7, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

I really really didn't like Mankind Divided. I basically didn't have any reason to care the whole game. Nothing clicked for me.

HR is still pretty sweet though and I've done a few replays.

I've said it many times: Mankind Divided is like, half a game and what should have been the 1/3rd of the game twist that the entire story hinges around and recontextualizes the rest of the game is purely optional and only doable immediately prior to the final mission.

Does that fix its other flaws? No, but if it had been narratively structured better people would have been way, way more on board.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea, it's absolutely a narrative disaster that came on down from up high, much like any media with intentional cliffhangers that only exist to sell a sequel that may or may not ever get written.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Still waiting for No Country For Older Men.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

numberoneposter posted:

Still waiting for No Country For Older Men.

Be sick if it was a Grumpy Old Men franchise movie

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Wonder where those grumpy old men are today??

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's a pretty fun video game IMO. I played a catboy (and skipped every single cutscene cuz lol story in video games)

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Khanstant posted:

Those first person games where it's just jumping into walls and tiny floating obstacles using bunny hops or whatever 3d kaizo tricks to advance along a long track. Not sure what the games are called, I've just seen them as mindless footage behind someone talking about something else.

Probably thinking about surf maps in Counter-Strike. Though Team Fortress Classic had some pretty hardcore movement maps as well.

I think it's wild how so many people struggle with movement FPS games. So much that any game that tries to implement movement tech is guaranteed to crash and burn (Tribes, Lawbreakers, Titanfall, etc.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lmao why would you believe an mmo player who says this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Beetlejuice 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Literally A Person posted:

they are most likely annoyed with me