Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cactus Ghost posted:

fixing a broken bolt beats the hell out of fixing stripped threads. i'd bet the soft bolts are them being like "nobody is ever going to torque this to spec, and the case is aluminum, so make the bolt of spun sugar"

They are made of cheese specifically so they fail before the threads in the case do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Midjack posted:

It seems pretty common from looking at the internet.

Yup we have plenty of company

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

They are made of cheese specifically so they fail before the threads in the case do

It's a smart idea yeah. Lots of (well designed) machines have intentional sacrificial parts like that. For instance, one of our lathes has a single nylon gear in its geartrain so that if it jams somehow, that cheap and easy-to-replace gear strips out instead of something much larger and more expensive self-destructing with a lot more energy.

Also it must be time to post this video again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KpbCbOiYQ&t=922s

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 30, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I spent May day riding the old/new DRZ on gravel roads and logging trails.

I suck at this. When I have a bag strapped to the rack I find it very difficult to gracefully get off the bike. I forget to open the petcock. My gear smells like exhaust and I'm very tired mentally. I tried to find 6th gear every time I had to go on asphalt for a bit. Anyway this bike is great, wheel spin and skids and slides rule and I can't wait to do this again and slide around some more.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Am I shooting myself in the foot by getting a new battery for my Scrambler from Canadian Tire, rather than paying more for another Yuasa battery like it came with? Or am I overthinking this?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I got a cheap battery for my scrambler that ended up leaking acid. I'd rather pay a bit more than deal with that again. I'm using an Energizer now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jcam posted:

Am I shooting myself in the foot by getting a new battery for my Scrambler from Canadian Tire, rather than paying more for another Yuasa battery like it came with? Or am I overthinking this?

If the battery you're getting is rated the same and has a warranty I wouldn't worry

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Slavvy posted:

If the battery you're getting is rated the same and has a warranty I wouldn't worry

The only difference in the specifications is the cold-cranking amps (150 vs 215, Motomaster vs Yuasa).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jcam posted:

The only difference in the specifications is the cold-cranking amps (150 vs 215, Motomaster vs Yuasa).

That is quite a bit lower rated, to the point where I wouldn't be happy running it in a notoriously hard starting v-twin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Yeah that’s where my mind went too - I’ve got the new Yuasa charging in the basement now, I appreciate your help pals.