Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for the first time in years the Precure novels are making a comeback with a DokiDoki sequel:

https://twitter.com/precure_15th/status/1750662332978733362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s the Sky/Wonderful baton pass in case the CR version of the finale chops it out again:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=68iDGBEVqZg

Also from what I hear the finale gets rid of another series tradition (Komugi makes no cameo appearance whatsoever)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

And here’s the Sky/Wonderful baton pass in case the CR version of the finale chops it out again:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=68iDGBEVqZg

Also from what I hear the finale gets rid of another series tradition (Komugi makes no cameo appearance whatsoever)

Thankfully they did not for once:

As for the finale: We start with the Precure beating up a snake in a pretty good fight scene including some nice combo attacks, he then tries to possess the Empress but she promptly tells him to gently caress off and pulls him right back out.

What‘s left of Skearhead escapes to the human world and the gang follows thanks to a little help from the generals where they proceed to reveal their identities to the entire city without hesitation. After a pretty cool team punch attack they put him to rest with the usual finisher.

Afterwards the peace treaty between Skyland and the empire is restored and the other generals choose to remain by the Empress’s side. Sora, Tsubasa, and Elle head home to Skyland but note that the tunnel will still be open (and of course they come back for a visit at the very end). The goodbye scene was really good too

We get a nice little credits sequence in the style of Mashiro’s journal and close with a brief scene of an older (I assume anyway, Beriberi looks a bit taller to me) Sora who seems to have taken Shalala‘s place as captain rescuing a little girl and starting the cycle anew

It stumbled a little in terms of plot and villains but I still enjoyed Hirogaru more than I did with Delicious Party (Wonderful’s looking promising so far as well)

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
As my first completed Precure season I really enjoyed Hirogaru Sky. The main cast was all good and well realized, and I liked the battle shonen vibes. I'll wait and see on the next season but I'm skeptical it would appeal to me. However even if that's true, there are older seasons for me to go back to, probably starting with Huggto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, the Wonderful OP got revealed in a recent stream:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=axDrdrWCBps

Interesting that there isn’t a single instance of combat or an enemy general on display here

We also have VA info for the remaining two Cures now:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1751532992064106560

Lastly a bit of a fun fact, we actually did get a Wonderful cameo this episode but it was very subtle (the little girl Sora saves at the very end was voiced by Komugi’s actress Maria Naganawa)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just imagine if they made a precure without fighting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair though, the Maho Girls OP didn’t show any major villains either

Also in regards to Hirogaru I gotta say, that was probably the most one sided final battle I’ve seen in Precure since DokiDoki. Skearhead didn’t have a chance and even his former puppet clowned on him (though in retrospect I’m not sure what he was expecting to happen after he literally stabbed her in the back and told her everything last week)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 28, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New mascot character announced for Wonderful, a sheep named MeehMeeh who kind of looks like an old mentor figure of sorts:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got another scan showing off some of Komugi’s moves:

Seems Wonderful is a shield user and this series might not have much in the way of physical combat (which I guess makes sense seeing as the MOTW are just infected animals)

Also I’m assuming the ram monster once purified will become MeeMee (the sheep shown in the OP who seems like they’ll serve as the main mascot/mentor figure for the series since he’s shown handling the Kironiko Trunk)

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
I wonder how they show is going to split Komugi between dog and human form? The opening suggests to me that she'll mostly be human (at least while she's a Precure), but Elle ended up spending a lot more time as a baby than I expected.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hellbore posted:

I wonder how they show is going to split Komugi between dog and human form? The opening suggests to me that she'll mostly be human (at least while she's a Precure), but Elle ended up spending a lot more time as a baby than I expected.

She’s got a regular human form as well going by the OP and the above scan but if the Hirogaru baton pass is any indication she’ll still act like a dog regardless (she’s excitable and peppers her sentences with “-wan”)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Happy Precure Day (aka the franchise’s actual 20th birthday)! Have some episode titles:

Ep 1: The Beginning Is "Wonderful"!
Ep 2: Everyone's Friends, Cure Friendy!
Ep 3: Don't Say It!
Ep 4: The Nekoyashiki Cat And Mayu

Regarding episode 3 I’ll just quote the person who translated these over on Reddit:

quote:

I was initially confused about episode 3, but it seems like this might concern MeehMeeh (the sheep mascot) as the "me" in "ダメェー" (dame) is a little bit longer than usual, like a sheep's cry. He might try to stop Komugi and Iroha (who is bad at lying) from blabbing about them being Precures or the existence of Kirarin Animals.

It’s also possible that we might get Lillian and Nyammy before the show hits the double digits at this rate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Crunchyroll has officially licensed Wonderful:

https://twitter.com/toeianimation/status/1753132001522307096?s=46&t=tWNkl6DFz5LZnx-4yS3blA

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not only that but it’s gonna air in Europe this time as well:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/an...PXwpVk0&irgwc=1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And the new season has officially begun

Not a bad start, I like Iroha, Komugi is adorable and is so devoted to her owner that she becomes upset whenever they‘re apart or when Iroha leaves her to hang out with other people, Satoru doesn’t seem too bad so far (though that‘s the most depressed looking rabbit I’ve ever seen) and even Mayu and Yuki make an appearance (the latter already seems more intelligent than the average cat)

No sign of any villains yet aside from some eggs that look like tiki masks and spread GaruGaru energy. Not much of a first fight either but Komugi’s transformation was neat and Iroha’s already proving she’s Precure material by luring the monster away

Also Prince Kanata returns as the voice of the new mascot MeehMeeh and Iroha’s dad is Chongire

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lamo the monster of the week was Ringing Bell

Anyway good first episode. Had some Pripara type energy also Komugi has it bad for Iroha. I welcome this couple to our weird couple list which includes Human/Mascot Fairy, Human/Robot and Human/Alien.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mayu is a social disaster it seems, I like her already (they captured “rear end in a top hat cat” well with Yuki too)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 4, 2024

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Good first episode. Nice setup to Komugi's whole thing with wanting to be human to be with Iroha and a sneak peek at Mayu and Yuki's whole thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As a former cat slave with social anxiety I relate to Mayu a lot (and definitely didn’t expect that personality to come out of that design)

I wonder if for once they’ll forgo the secret and just have Iroha come clean to her parents about all this (otherwise it seems like it’d be hard to explain the sudden appearance of this strange girl that seems very attached to their daughter and the subsequent disappearance of the family dog)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

interestingly the op shows like no punches being thrown and she didnt really hit the first monster either so i wonder if this is gonna be a fairly non-violent precure.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like the puppy isn't necessarily going to be throwing hands at first either way, but who knows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It might have something to do with the MOTW all being possessed animals (though Wonderful and Freindy are apparently getting a duo finisher at some point), maybe once some proper villains start showing up we’ll start seeing a little more in terms of actual combat

Speaking of, I wonder if this is going to be like KiraKira where we don’t even see an enemy general until the show hits the double digits or so

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like the puppy isn't necessarily going to be throwing hands at first either way, but who knows.

Look, as far as Komugi knows, hands are for holding. She probably doesn't know what a punch even is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, my cocker spaniel definitely knows how to bat at me to get my attention.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got a slight update on Maho Girls 2 confirming it’ll be 12 episodes long just like Otona and air on the same channel as the main series at 2 am (roughly around noon for those of us in the west), I think at least some of this is old news however but it’s something at any rate

I fully expect CR to bring over the sequel without touching the original (they’ve done it before with non Precure properties) but time will tell I guess. I’m also expecting this to be a fall release like Otona so we should probably start getting some real news within a couple months now

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 5, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One of the toys revealed our first glimpse of human Yuki:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mey Mey seems fun albeit a bit high strung (and is also voiced by Kanata from Go Princess), Komugi’s apparently a rescue and can now talk in dog form as well as switch between forms at will, and Freindy makes her debut but sadly doesn’t really show off any moves besides super speed.

The lack of any actual combat (so far, we’ll see if that changes once an actual villain shows up later) is going to take some getting used to but everything else about the show seems pretty decent so far

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kira Kira started out similar and was low on fighting and that show was light and fluffy with no dark stuff at all!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kira Kira started out similar and was low on fighting and that show was light and fluffy with no dark stuff at all!

KiraKira had plenty of dark stuff, it just didn’t happen until much later on

It also took that show 10+ episodes to introduce a proper villain so I’m curious if Wonderful will follow suit

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oh I know. It's very much like the staff used the apparent tone down the fights to sneak in some more serious stuff in other areas and show is one my faves cause of it. That and Bibury's face turn

I do think it's super interesting that Komugi was a stray/rescue. Wonder if the show will resist that

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

KiraKira had plenty of dark stuff, it just didn’t happen until much later on

I think that's kind of :thejoke:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I think that's kind of :thejoke:

I realize that now, yes. Makes me curious what kind of drama bombs they’ll drop on us eventually in this season (we already found out Komugi was a rescue dog)

If experience has taught me anything, more often than not it’s the lighter Precure shows that have some of the darkest story beats

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 12, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The producer Takahashi Maki revealed in the Animage 2024 issue that Wonderful is moving away from battles in exchange for "chase action".

The season will instead focus on communication, as well as the cute and funny interactions between owners and pets

Not really sure how I feel about this honestly, the characters and story are decent enough so far but I feel like constantly chasing the MOTW down every episode would get boring eventually (though it is confirmed that Wonderful and Freindy will be getting a weapon of sorts in a few episodes as well as a duo finisher so hopefully there will at least still be some spectacle to the proceedings)

On the other hand, Precure's major strength is that it reinvents itself every year. That means it gets to try on a lot of different hats, and it's free to experiment with the formula.

I doubt very much that they're making decisions based on whether combat is 'okay' or not. It seems much more likely that they're coming up with their themes and concepts, and then deciding what's most appropriate for the season based on that (plus beating up wild animals doesn’t really seem like a good look to me)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 12, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Watched the Wonderful Precure episodes that are out. My favorite characters are the cat and the rabbit because they seem to be masters of expressions. The sheep, meanwhile, seems to be one joke, and I do not like it that much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Satoru’s in on the secret now, the animals in the Garden were brought there from earth by someone called “Niko” and get better by eating special gummies. Also Cure Friendy totally stole Ageha’s shield from last season

Next time, Mayu and Yuki make their proper entrance and Pretty Holic once again rears its head (looks like that particular bit of merchandising is here to stay as far as the franchise goes)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is somewhat remarkable that they felt their toy commercial wasn't advertising enough so they needed to include literal brand product placement.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean with the Pretty series in hiatus I can see why

Anyway hoping we get a Komugi going to school soon. Gonna be fun

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm not TOTALLY sold on this series yet, and boy was this episode kind of weak, but we'll see how it all shakes out. I usually give Precure up until the full team assembles to keep or drop and I don't see any real reason to shake that up.

And relatedly I'm pulling for Satoru and his rabbit to be the mid-season Precure additions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I can’t tell if Daifuku is super serious, constantly bored, or clinically depressed but I love him (Satoru’s not bad either and seems to possess the one brain cell among this trio)

Also Yuki is the textbook definition of “cat” so far (I especially enjoy the condescending headpat she gave Mayu in the first episode as well as her smacking Komugi in the most recent preview)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also if anyone hasn’t seen them yet, this person’s done parody animations of Precure OPs every year since Tropical Rouge. Most of them are pretty fun and chock full of references

https://www.youtube.com/@Lukasandayo/videos