Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I've watched Doremi. I will rave about it. It's REAL good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why did the Futari dub never make it to the US?

My off the cuff best guess might be licensing rights. I know 4Kids had the license to Precure in America but never did anything with it, so maybe them sitting on the license closed that door? But again, this is just a guess.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I do have to thank Brave Donuts for introducing me to Ashita no Joe by way of that goofy rear end sight gag. Or more specifically the person I shared Gopri with who freaked the hell out when they got to that part and identified the reference, since I'd seen it a couple of times elsewhere and never actually knew it was a specific thing they were riffing on.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yep. Ojamajo Doremi is an extremely good show, so I'm crossing my fingers the movie is gonna live up to that even a little. The show from the same period it was on adjacent to had a movie this year that SUCKED, so it would be nice if Doremi had a nice send-off.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AlternateNu posted:

That reminds me. I need to finish watching Magical Girl Raising Project.

You really don't.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If it's any help it lists "Necklace" A-E and "Bracelet Watch" A-E, so maybe it's a 5 member team?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Endorph posted:

if symphogear is too much for you nanoha, will also be too much for you, lol

Both shows are extremely good in their own (surprisingly similar) ways, but there is a question of tolerance for both. I'm not sure I'd say either is particularly skeevy in content with how it treats its cast, but the transformation sequences are... perhaps sometimes too long let's say at baseline. That's especially true for early Nanoha. Symphogear is better, for a highly variable given amount of "better". Extremely strong cast and action chop for both franchises, though.

For Precure if you're interested in the stuff that only aired in Japan I'll broadly recommend Heartcatch Precure, Dokidoki Precure, Go Princess Precure, Kira Kira Precure Ala Mode, and Huggto Precure. I'd say I'm harsher than Larryb is on Precure (There are some shows I WILL say I think are bad), but when Precure is on point it is an extremely good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Terry van Feleday posted:

I've been watching Princess Tutu lately and having an incredible time with it. Gonna be one of my favourites for sure, perhaps you might enjoy it as well.

I always hate that I never remember Princess Tutu. Princess Tutu is EXTREMELY good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I finally decided to check out Cardcaptor Sakura and I’ve been enjoying it so far. Should I bother with the manga at all or just stick to the anime?

Related, is the manga sequel still going/any good?

Stick to the anime, it's pretty easily the better version. The manga isn't bad, but the anime expands on a lot of things from the manga, a lot of the anime only episodes and characters are quite good, and while the anime changes a good number of plot details it's pretty much always for the better.

The manga sequel is still ongoing to the best of my knowledge, and they also had an anime adaptation of a chunk of it that was also quite good (and had an amazing appearance by an anime only character who's the best) and I hope they do more once it's all finished.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Is the manga sequel itself any good (as well as still currently being translated)? Also, why was the anime adaptation stopped prematurely? Finally, what chapter of the manga does the Clear Card anime end on?

Speaking of magical girl stuff, is Tokyo Mew Mew any good?

Manga itself? Probably. The first couple of chapters were quite good, but when I looked I didn't see any active translation efforts anywhere after those first couple of chapters so I have no idea how it ended up.

Why did the anime adaptation stop? Weekly anime series based on a monthly manga series. Clear Card had like 20ish chapters when the anime came out and was nowhere near done.

The anime ends somewhere like chapter 18ish I think? It's been a little while. Again, though, the manga only had the first couple of chapters translated before that petered out so I really don't know. I heard one or two things in passing about where the manga went and that stuff suggested the anime itself diverged even beyond having more episodes and some anime-only characters from the original, but I really can't say.

I can't speak to Tokyo Mew Mew. I saw a couple of the 4Kids dub episodes and they didn't seem that good, but whether that was because it was a 4Kids dub that wasn't trying very hard or because the source was mediocre is not something I'm aware of.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So did they just skip over Sakura and Kero’s origin then or did they splice it in later?

Also hackjob aside, how faithful was the actual translation of the original dub?

They splice it in much later. The show literally opens on episode eight and just sort of runs with it and doesn't bother to do any set up or anything, these are the characters and this is what is happening so I hope you're paying attention and can follow along kids. The episode reordering is also kind of funny because they show episode 7 around episode 20, so Li's semi-ominous first appearance at the end of the episode in the original is transformed via the magic of new voiceover narration to be him showing up having been late to the party because he's already an established character.

Another thing they do is show the action sequences of un-aired episodes as essentially pre-credit stingers. So if you want to know how Sakura captured the Jump card the best you're going to get is a short 25 second clip show of footage from an episode they aren't going to air.

As for accuracy of the original Nelvana dub? Hell no. The dub clearly went out of its way to try and only show episodes with significant action, so as a result some of the actual best episodes in the show aren't included because many of them are just straight character pieces. And, as for the episodes that do get in many of them are changed so significantly in detail and context that a lot of what made them good or interesting is lost in the shuffle. It was really interesting years later watching the episode about the Mirror card and learning what the episode was ACTUALLY about because the dub didn't put it across. Amusingly (or not considering the context, yuck) there is one significant "completely changing the context and meaning of the episode" dub edit that makes the show better, but it's an exception and not the rule.

The dub is also way less gay across the board, and considering this is a CLAMP work it feels almost like they were missing the point. I can point to nearly half a dozen cases of same sex attraction that the dub cuts around, including one that's a full-stop canon relationship.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I don’t care about spoilers so out of curiosity what is this good dub edit you mentioned?

One of the episodes that the dub covers is the episode with the Sword card, which possesses one of Sakura's friends, Rika. In the dub Sakura gets Rika to hesitate for long enough to catch the card by using the Illusion card and asking it to show her to show her an illusion of the person she's most afraid of, which turns out to be one of their teachers at school. In the original Sakura asked the Illusion card to show Rika an illusion of the person she is MOST IN LOVE WITH. And the teacher in question turns out to reciprocate her feelings. And the show romanticizes this.

So yes, the original plays this as an actual kind of romance that runs occasionally in the background with an elementary school girl in a romantic relationship with the teacher who is old enough to be her father. The dub completely ejects this plot tumor from the story entirely as right it should, the reason you have a couple of scenes of them being weirdly awkward in the dub is that she's uncomfortable around him in a purely nonromantic sense. This is about the one and only dub change that was for the better.

And if you want more discomfort their relationship is even more explicit in the manga, not in the physical sense (thank gently caress) so much as the manga actually has more "romantic" scenes that aren't in the anime and the two are actually apparently engaged. This is not so in the anime. Along with cutting the engagement the anime back pedals to try and imply it isn't totally serious or reciprocated and possibly give an out to explain it, but again the illusion shows Rika her "beloved", and if you ask me the dub was entirely within its rights to just not do that at all.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So out of curiosity, does this series ever get something akin to an actual antagonist or is it mostly just Clow Cards run amok the whole way through?

Almost. There is more than just Clow Cards running amok is what I'll say.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Speaking of CCS, are the movies worth watching? And related, are they referred back to in the series itself or are they more or less standalone?

Movie 1 is almost entirely standalone. It's basically just an extra big episode, it has some backstory for Li and one other character, but said backstory isn't hugely important in the end so on the whole it's basically just more of what the series is, and by that measure absolutely it's good you should watch it. Chronologically it's set between the first and second seasons, but you can basically just watch it anytime in late season one, once the cast is settled in.

Movie 2 is an epilogue to the show, the final episodes lead directly into it and it's basically the true ending for the series so if you like the show you should definitely watch that movie once you get to the end.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So chronologically does Movie 2 happen before Movie 1 then (or by second season did you mean the second half of the show rather than Clear Card)?

The original CCS is divided into three seasons. If Clear Card is anything it's season 4.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So since the entire first series is 70 episodes in total, what episode does season 2 begin then?

Season 1 is 1-35, Season 2 is 36-46, and Season 3 is 47-70. Helpfully, the opening changes every season.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Happiness Charge had many problems the makeup was probably the least of them, even if the mid-season power up attack went way over board and had to get changed

What happened here? I bounced off of HaCha ultra hard when it was airing and know only some baseline stuff about it (IE full cast, some broad strokes stuff that happens).

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 27, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I was indeed talking about the finisher. And as for Huggto that was a show that was firing on cylinders from minute one. I bought into Huggto instantly, I had to force myself through five episodes of HaCha before I dropped it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Symphogear is worth watching.

Also the Symphogear Mobage has also done crossovers with Godzilla, Nanoha, Attack on Titan, and Gridman so I'm not super surprised they're doing one with Kiramager.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Are there any Symphogear movies? If so, are they any good/canon to the series?

Finally, is the series legally available anywhere in the west?

No, n/a, the whole thing is on Crunchyroll though the subs aren't as good as they could be.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Gotcha, though like is the case with Futari Wa is there a fansubbed version out there that’s slightly better quality sub wise?

Yes. Commie did the first couple of seasons long before there were official releases (and when it didn't look like there was going to be one, the show has a huge amount of music) and they kept going even after the whole thing was officially picked up in its final season. There's about 6 variant versions of the Commie one where people mostly have slap fights with how to translate certain proper nouns, but are otherwise 99% the same as Commie.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So is Symphogear officially over now or are there any plans for a continuation?

It's officially over. The show ended really really really decisively and tied up basically every plot line it still had up in the air AND ALSO made the main pairing official. You never say never for things like this, but season 5 was clearly set up to be the final season well in advance and it shows.

If there's any hope of a continuation it will probably be in adapting the stuff from the Mobage, and that stopped following the canon of the show about a month after it launched.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

And speaking of mobage stuff, has there been any word on when the second season of the Magia Record anime is supposed to start yet?

Nope. Air date TBD.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dexanth posted:

If it's meant to be the final series-ender, I totally headcanon it as Homura accepting Madoka must re-ascend, but then going with her, willingly allowing herself to be erased from the universe as well so that Madoka doesn't have to be alone.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who got to an ending like that from Rebellion.

My personal headcanon has always been that the final shot of the series took place AFTER Rebellion. Homura wielding a witch-like power standing with Madoka against the Wraiths. Devil and God standing united to keep the world turning.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pikestaff posted:

I am the exact opposite in every way, I adored every minute of Star Twinkle but Healin' Good did nothing for me... EXCEPT for the mascot characters who I absolutely loved. But they weren't enough to save the season for me overall, I dropped it about halfway through and I don't think I'll pick it back up again. :shrug:

Tropical Rouge is looking really fun though and I have been a big fan of Ai Fairouz for a while. I'm super excited for next week.

This is me. I dropped Healin Good after Cure Earth showed up and nixed Batetemoda. I'd been cold on the cast for a while, and after realizing I just didn't care about Asumi and didn't want to watch her additional intro episodes I dropped the series. Not the first precure I've stopped watching halfway sadly, but I'm still extremely game for Tropical Rouge. I'm always game for a new Precure because when the franchise works for me it REALLY works for me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That was a really good first episode, and it makes me wonder if they didn't miss a trick by bringing in Aoi Yuki a season too early.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I forget, did Manatsu wind up getting smacked upside the head by something in this episode like most Lead Cures are wont to do?

Yep, her suitcase in her very first scene.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I’m curious when Kururun is going to show up though since we’ve got titles for 6 episodes now and aside from a brief cameo in the premiere she hasn’t been seen or mentioned outside of the opening.

It wouldn't surprise me if seal fairy doesn't show up until the crew get their first group finisher. And I don't actually mind that because the role that's usually filled by the main mascot is being filled by Laura and she's great. Frankly that makes me wonder if Kururun is actually going to be very important to the show, I could see her being in a supporting role out of obligation to the franchise with Laura continuing to be the important focal nonhuman character.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pui Pui Molcar was topical for this thread this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uVpy2q7JFo

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ConanThe3rd posted:

The universe conspires to make Madoka and her incarnations God once again.

You aren't not going to make Aoi Yuki a big deal in her precure debut, right?

I mean the show she was in didn't do much for her, but still.

Also the episode of Tropical Rouge was good and the show still good so that is good. I do broadly enjoy that both Manatsu and Laura have an extremely business casual approach to being superheroes.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 14, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I mean, at this point Laura is the show's mascot character considering the seal hasn't shown up at all. And I'll say it again, I don't even mind.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hellioning posted:

Manatsu also has good taste in marine life. Someone needs to tell her about hygiene though; at least three people have used that lipstick already.

It transformed into a magic weapon between each use though, that's probably gotta be pretty good for decontamination.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

(when was the last time we had a Cure like that anyway?)

Cure Yell did quite a lot of punching a couple of seasons back, to the point I saw a goofy bit of fanart showing her with brass knucks hidden in her pom-poms.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Guessing from the way she looked at the tennis court she was on the tennis team with Yuriko and stuff happened

Or they failed to save a school as school idols either or

As much as the latter would be intensely amusing, I point out that Cure Flamingo's attack is literally a tennis serve so in this particular iteration of reality I'm going to lean in on it having to do with tennis.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Off the subject I finally got around to watching Symphogear and it is indeed good. Out of curiosity, are the OVAs worth watching/important or can they be skipped if needed?

The OVA's are worth watching, they are not really important, and they can be skipped if needed.

Still, if you didn't watch them how would you be able to find out how well Tsubasa performs on a TV variety quiz show?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Neat, all the OVAs have been subbed as well right?

Correct.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Justin_Brett posted:

Stinger Sam is a great name.

It really is.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I can't say I was missing him.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

-When deciding what they’re going to do for the club Laura suggests Precure activities to which Manatsu replies that they’ll do that on Sunday mornings (the time Precure usually airs in Japan)

I completely missed that one, that's real good.

And Laura going "wait, I didn't do anything! Boo!" Was also really excellent. No, seriously, do we actually need the seal fairy with her around?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm going to guess that the references to The Little Mermaid mixed with "mermaids can't become Cures" will eventually lead to Laura becoming human and giving up her claim to the throne. Most likely because doing that is "the most important thing to her at this moment".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If this design holds that means 3 Cures on the active team having midriff designs. Funny given Cure Black's Max Heart designs

It is the tropical themed season.