Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I just watched the first two episodes of Symphogear and it was real weird. It gave me like a mix of GaoGaiGar and, I dunno, Mai Hime or something vibes, but without any buildup. It's just full throttle craziness in a kind of retro way. Does this show calm down a little?

I guess I was expecting a show about :angel::glomp::sparkles::palmon: and instead I got :black101::gibs::science::rory::kamina:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
episode 3 slowed things down a good deal and made it a lot more watchable for me. I will continue watching this colorful gay action show.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Princess Chuchu :kimchi:

Sailor Moon was a good and fun show until it jumped the shark and did inane things like having chibi moon & co. literally save a baby dinosaur from a volcano. I really wanted to get to the point where Sailor Uranus enters the show but it got kind of unwatchable in the Crystal Tower arc. Please for the love of god Usagi please stop spanking Chibi Usa. She's crying and blushing and this is really uncomfortable.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Space Flower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOWcZiCAH4

here's the Magia Record transformations up to this month because Holy poo poo I Implore You, watch the transformations for the og meguca. they're all kind of similar in imagery to the rebellion henshin scenes but with less ballet and more Goddamn just look at Kyouko what a flaming badass, and mommy in casual clothes, er, Mami. same thing yeah

sayaka never

I like how Kyouko's aesthetic is "scary gamer girl" and Mami's is "My power is having the maturity of a 30 year old"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

P-Mack posted:

Last night they made Sailor V costumes out of construction paper and then asked if they could stay up late to watch another episode. It was very cute but bedtime is bedtime.

:allears: :kimchi:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

P-Mack posted:

Watched the Sailor Moon episode where the fat cat falls in love with Luna and drat if the filler in this show isn't the best part. Lol at the magical girls elbowing each other in the face because they're trying to do their dramatic poses in a narrow alleyway.

Ikuhara is the reigning king of incredibly stupid, memorable filler episodes

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
If memory serves, for the broadcast run they didn't play the ending theme until the twist at the end of episode 3, like a "gotcha! you suckers are in for a bad time" reveal

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
If you just watched the show you can definitely jump straight into the 3rd movie, which is girly and gay as heck (and imo is the apex of Madoka)

I don't think madoka is especially dark for a shoujo anime. If you compare it to Utena or even something older like Rose of Versailles, there are shoujo anime that are thematically pretty dark and heavy. Madoka definitely has some of Urobochi's guns & suicide brand of edginess for sure though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Also while you're fresh off Madoka, please enjoy the Maria+Holic ending theme (Shaft circa 2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRo1uK2NILo

As well as this nice side character from My Hero Academia, aka the Witch Formerly Known as Elsa Maria

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
if you're enjoying the funky witch worlds in Madoka you should totally see the ED for Shaft's trashy and vacuous anime Maria+Holic. I forget the name of whoever it is that creates these sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRo1uK2NILo

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
The new madoka has a stellar first episode. My biggest fear for this series was that it was just going to be a big advert for the mobage, but the visuals and directing and music are so good that my fears have been 99% erased just from the first episode. i don't know if the mobage has a story (do mobages have stories?) or if its writing is any good or has any thematic relevance to the original anime. but the look is just as captivating as ever, and the mysterious setup is interesting so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Does the Magia Record game have an ending, or is it a serialized story that continues with each update? i'm just curious if the anime is going to be a finished, stand-alone story and how closely it can rely on material from the game to do that. i kinda imagine that the game has a lot of branching side content