Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can we talk about wixoss in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway go princess precure is pretty good, watch it if you haven't

Aurora posted:

This is secretly my way of being able to talk about cute girls so yeah sure
also watch selector wixoss if you haven't. wasn't that hot on lostorage tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whole lotta people saying they're gonna watch wixoss 'soon'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

watch symphogear, op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zernach posted:

So I just watched the first episode of Symphogear completely blind, and holy poo poo that was not what I was expecting.

RIP rest of my Sunday, this poo poo owns.

edit: JFC the engrish in this :psyduck:

fine owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

:same:

I'm now just checked out Flip Flappers since I missed that it came out. First ep is interesting. But I too love magical girl anime and my favorites are Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Heartcatch Precure, and Magical Lyrical Nanoha.

watch symphogear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnoHito posted:

I liked the characters and thought they interacted really well with each other. I also liked how the terrible things that happened to them were almost always to at least some degree their own stupid fault.
for instance, it was the lesbian's fault for being gay, which is why she hung and pissed herself

Motto posted:

I heard the car ad show (Pleiades) was decent
pleiades is really really good and it's disappointing that people just call it a 'car ad show' when it's got really sweet characters and a great romance and the 'car ad' stuff is just 'the main girl is named subaru'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The broomsticks they ride around on make vroom vroom noises too.
so do hibiki's legs but symphogear isnt a car ad!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its on crunchy, but it started as a series of 4 minute web shorts on youtube and the fact that it was getting a full anime was advertised approximately nowhere, so a lot of people didnt even realize it had evolved beyond those shorts

didnt help that it was a post-trigger gainax show at a time when the popular conception was that gainax was basically a zombie of a studio. also a lot of people assumed it was way more of a car ad than it was, because the shorts were pretty car-heavy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

I watched the 4 minute shorts, which were ok!
watch the tv series, which is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

good things about pleiades:

probably the best straight romance ive seen in any magical girl series. it's sweet and sincere and the girl is active in it and it's never really played for laughs. and the boy's actually a cute character on his own.
the animation is pretty good, especially at the start and towards the end. Saeki is pretty much Gainax's only remaining star but he's a pretty strong director, and he directed some episodes of cardcaptor sakura and so clearly knows the beats and visual cues of a good magical girl story.
the character designs are all very appealing.
the villain looks like julius from fire emblem 4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

She tried to make friends, Then her lover died because of it, then she hung herself. Such is the nature of karma.

she drank too much soda, which weakened her bladder. such is the nature of piss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnoHito posted:

Yes, let's walk right into the base of the people who have been trying to murder everyone. This is clearly not the most obvious trap in history that people tried to tell you was a bad idea. Clearly my lover dying due to my own stupid assurance that this group of backstabbing murderers is at all trustworthy is not at all my fault.
yeah, it was like she was taking the piss with that one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Have we seen the promo for AXZ?

Why did they give Tsubasa another bike?
i like that she even crashes her bike in the op of gx

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive mentioned this before but kirakira also really lacks any sense of place or believability. not that other precure series are heartfelt familial dramas but you get a sense of the world actually existing and get to know the character's lives outside of magical girl stuff - their families, their dreams, their hopes for the future, etc. in kirakira every episode is pretty much totally unrelated to anything and it's just 22 minutes of the girls goofing around and beating up a baddy before making a sweet, there's basically no 'daily life' element.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Symphogear and it was real weird. It gave me like a mix of GaoGaiGar and, I dunno, Mai Hime or something vibes, but without any buildup. It's just full throttle craziness in a kind of retro way. Does this show calm down a little?
Symphogear is a story about the difficulties of earnestly communicating with someone but the wonderful things that can happen when you manage it. So in the first few episodes, nobody's really communicating with each other and bad things are happening, so that it can be contrasted with later on when Hibiki has actually sat down and decided to just talk to everyone else, and things start actually working out, and the characters begin to grow and change.

the dude what wrote symphogear posted:

When I saw the name “Hibiki” on the notes I received from Mr. Agematsu, I realized that this girl's story would not be about how she grows up on her own, but rather how she resonates with others and grows with them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

busydelicious posted:

I watched Symphogear and I liked the first episode, but then (imo) it just got continually worse and predictable the more it went on. It was the small stuff that added up. Like the chick in the anime saying 'if this were an anime', the whole thing with how there's a government facility within the school that couldn't influence Hibiki's grades, obvious bad guy, climax song only being legit the first episode in
all of those things own

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Why would the government facility care about Hibiki's grades? Does she need to stay in school to punch Noise?
there's a gag where genjuuro mentions he cant do anything about hibikis' grades even though the government technically owns the school, iirc. im not sure how that's a cliche.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your head is a hosed up place that i don't want to be a part of

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i made a symph thread since the mobile game's coming out + a lot of season 4 news

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

phantom thief jeanne kinda owns

that said all its best (and most insane) twists are only in the manga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alligator Pie posted:

Ive reached chapter 7 or so in Blue Reflection. I'm probably the wrong demographic for it, but I reached a scene where the super trendy girl wants to swap panties with the main character because "yours look so comfy!" and euuugh. :stonk: I'd been able to just roll my eyes at the blatant little fanservice crap here and there, but that crossed a line for me.

I just wanted to play a cool RPG with magical girls and beat up bad guys. :sigh: I'll probably still finish it because I'm curious about the ending.
thats a pretty normal conversation imo

im not being ironic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you watch madoka be sure to watch rebellion too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's still the usual "daisuki" plausible deniability stuff. Even at the end of the episode Yukari says she hasn't felt "true love" yet.

But it's as much as they can probably get away with.
They're more blatant about it at stage shows and stuff, there's one that has an outright running gag about their wedding invitations. That's 'official' but obviously less scrutinized, so

Also, pirate go princess pretty cure for your daughters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

What Precure should I watch first?
princess, heartcatch, or doki doki

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Does the original Sailor Moon series hold up well? My daughters started reading the manga and seem pretty excited about it.

it's very episodic but also really fun. though the series does have some weird moments wrt lesbianism, so maybe talk to your daughters about that kinda stuff depending on their ages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah there's a pretty messed up episode early on in s where half of it is spent on everyone giving mako poo poo for potentially being gay cause it was handled by a different director from most of the rest so you might wanna make it clear how hosed up that ep is if they're young

it's awkward cause almost every other episode of s has some bit where usagi crushes on haruka

also, you know, it has haruka and michiru

there's also an earlier ep that has a line from usagi about how it's 'better to fall in love with a guy, anyway' when she's trying to let a girl with a crush on her down gently

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its just a couple of mildly weird lines nothing like that. it also has two cool lesbians who flirt with and love each other so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's pretty cure's 15th anniversary, so they had a poll on best series

quote:

1: Go Princess Precure
2: Futari Wa Pretty Cure
3: Heartcatch precure
4: kirakira precure a la mode
5: smile precure
6: maho girls precure
7: fresh pretty cure
8: yes pretty cure 5 and yes pretty cure 5 gogo have like, basically the same amount of shows and are basically the same series so
9: futari wa pretty cure max heart
10: doki doki pretty cure
11: suite pretty cure
12: futari wa pretty cure splash star
13: happiness charge pretty cure

as an internet poll promoted mostly on twitter its pretty obviously weighted towards older fans (see: futari wa ranking so highly even though most young fans werent even alive when it aired) but i thought it was interesting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

My daughters have been watching Sailor Moon and they like it a lot but get very embarrassed and cover their eyes when there's a kissing part.

I'm just really impressed with how every episode is 50% new footage, tops.
look forward to the episode where they fight a literal, actual volcano

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hello I am watching Sailor Moon for the first time and I am 20 episodes in but I am not one of P-Mack's daughters.

Why did they took so long to introduce Rei the show gets like a 100 times better as soon as she joins the cast. I mean it wasn't like bad before, but man the show is a lot more fun.
the characters get introduced pretty rapid fire in the manga, they just added a decent amount of filler to the early going since they were adapting an ongoing manga. i do think the show benefits some from each of the characters taking a while to get introduced (some precure seasons introduce all five girls within like 3 episodes and it usually leads to at least one of them just feeling like they're there) but they definitely overdid it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I'm extremely hype to see if we get a new intro when Jupiter finally arrives!

(my wife is complaining now that the song is stuck in her head)
you should watch sailor moon crystal's OPs, they're the best part of the show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

How is it overall? I hear it cuts out all the filler, but first graders generally don't care as much about fidelity to the manga.

E: those cream puffs look great! Whenever my wife makes them she says she is never making them again cause getting the cream into the puffs takes so long.
Crystal's a lot dryer and less visually interesting than the 90s anime. It has some decent stuff in it but I think the 90s anime is a lot better on its own and even better in terms of appealing to kids - the 90s anime is episodic, there's a lot of it, all the characters get some focus so kids can pick a favorite, there's tons of weird imagery that the manga/crystal doesn't execute on as well, etc. Crystal's just kind of a dry story of Usagi bouncing from fake-out love interest to fake-out love interest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dont watch the 90s dub. the more recent dub is okay. sticking with the subs would be my suggestion, especially since your kids are probably already attached to the JP VAs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Last night they made Sailor V costumes out of construction paper and then asked if they could stay up late to watch another episode. It was very cute but bedtime is bedtime.
im glad they already know who the best character is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Libluini posted:

OK, this may be unusual, but I don't have PMs and I have to ask: Your avatar is from a manga about software development, right? Can you tell me the name? I've been trying to find it for ages! Google for some reasons plasters me with thousands of programs to write my own manga if I try searching for any combination of "software", "development" and "manga"
new game is the name. it has some fanservice but it's also pretty funny and likeable, and as it goes on it gets some decent insight into a few parts of game development, and a few bits of light drama that actually land. The main character's a character artist and character modeler, so that's the main focus, but there's subplots about some other aspects of game development, like bug testing and mini game design. Incidentally, it's by Shotaro Tokuno, who worked as a character designer and modeler on Valkyrie Profile 2 and Star Ocean 4, among others. So there's some actual lived experience in there.

Anyway it's relevant to the thread because a couple of characters are really into a late-night magical girl anime.

Libluini posted:

A bit closer on topic, for some reason this thread made me realize I still have the complete manga of Card Captor Sakura on my shelves. I had that manga on that shelf for almost ten years now, I walk past that shelf every day and until today I did not waste a single thought on it. Odd how the mind works.
I own all of the Viz Zatch Bell releases and I didn't even realize I owned all of them until this post, so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

seems like hasbro just got the rights to the dubs saban already made.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hungry posted:

Where exactly do I begin if I've never seen any of Precure?

whichever one seems interesting to you. hugtto's a great starting point. if you want something complete, heartcatch has the best action, kirakira has the best comedy, and gopri is the best middle ground between those two and has the best character development, imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Dumb Futari Wa Precure question for Japanese/high level weebs: do school children actually play lacrosse much in Japan? Here in the US it's mainly a northeast regional thing, and was even more so back in the 90s. Just curious why they picked it for Nagisa's thing.
Lacrosse is fairly popular in Japan, so popular that there were rumors that it might get added to the 2020 olympics because of them being in Tokyo. A good amount of high schools would have a Lacrosse team.

In Japan it's mostly seen as a girl's sport, especially among middle schoolers and high schoolers, so it makes sense that they'd pick it as the sport of choice for a character in an anime aimed at girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Is the Sailor Moon Super S movie basically stand alone if you haven't seen the later seasons? It's playing at the theater next weekend.
It's got no plot connections to any of the actual plot but chibiusa, neptune, uranus, and pluto are all in it, so if you havent seen their introductory seasons you might be confused on who they are