Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I've finally decided to get around to watching Sailor Moon (both the original series and Crystal) and out of curiosity are any of the movies canon to the original series (that is, actually referenced in the show itself) or can most of them be skipped? In the case of the latter, are any of them worth watching anyway? Same question goes for the Precure movies actually.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

watch the sailor moon r movie because it's one of the best things ikuhara has ever directed

When's the best point in that season to watch it around?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Related, do any of the Precure movies actually matter in regards to the plot of their respective series or are those all standalone as well? If they are, is it worth it to watch any of them?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They are stand alone except for Heartcatch and Kira Kira which do work into the main series. You should 100% watch at least the Heartcatch, Yes and Maho Girls movies as they are all really good. Heartcatch movie is probably the best anime Rie Matsumoto has directed and Yes does the dark clone plot the best

I assume you mean those two movies get referred back to in their respective series' then? If so, at what point in those two shows should I watch them?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

None of the movies really fail to fit in with their respective series. Some of them build on what's already there, though, and Dokidoki's movie informs quite a bit of Mana's character.

I was mostly just asking if any of them actually wind up getting referenced later in the series itself or if you could just skip them entirely if you wanted and not miss much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wanna say I appreciate them lampooning some of the classic toku tropes a bit in the first episode of Pretty Cure (original). They just kind of spout the transformation phrase/role call/catchphrase instinctively and then stop for a moment and wonder what the hell they just said.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 26, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I'll probably get to them all eventually but what's the best overall Pretty Cure series to start with? Also am I correct in assuming that aside from the seasons that are explicitly direct sequels there's no real continuity between shows?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've been going through the original currently and while it's a little rough around the edges obviously it seems promising so far. Nagisa is actually kind of a badass at times and, as I mentioned earlier, I love the gag in the first episode where the girls go through their whole role call and catchphrase bit before pausing and wondering what the hell they just said. I agree that villain does seem a bit dull though, does it get better as things progress?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, when your villain has a name that's impossible to take seriously and everything else about him is generic as gently caress it doesn't really leave that great an impression. Good to know that he disappears quickly though and is more the exception rather than the rule as far as antagonists in this series go.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but out of curiosity, is the live action adaption of Sailor Moon they made a while back any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beato Believer posted:

I enjoyed it. There are a few changes in the story from the anime and manga, with a couple new supporting characters thrown in. The 'special effects' can sometimes be cheesy, but for live action they're pretty good. I plan on watching it again at some point.

How far into the story does it go? Just through the first season of the anime?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what little I've seen I do like how the live action series actually somewhat changes the personal appearance of the Scouts when they transform. I don't remember if the orginal series gave any explanation as to why nobody can recognize them in Sailor form despite their faces being uncovered and unaltered other than I guess magic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, why is the original Pretty Cure the only season currently available on Crunchyroll? Also, are there any other legal streaming sites where I can find other seasons (I have backup sources for all of them of course but some official ones would be nice as well)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Toei doesn't seem too keen on releasing a lot of its stuff in the west for some reason. The only other shows of theirs I know of that are available for legal streaming are Zyuranger through Megaranger via Shout Factory's website.

Also, apparently the original Pretty Cure got a dub as well though it only aired in Canada and the UK. Apart from some changes to a few cultural references and character names it was actually a fairly faithful adaption as far as I can tell.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 7, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is it worth it to watch the original Sailor Moon anime in its entirety or would it be better to just watch Crystal and then go back and watch SuperS and Sailor Stars (I think the current run of Crystal has covered up to Sailor Moon S at any rate, correct me if I'm wrong)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 9, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Revolver Bunker posted:

In my opinion you should definitely watch the 90s anime first if you've never read the manga. Crystal follows the manga to an almost fault so the pacing is very fast. There are 3 seasons to Crystal and where it currently is would be the end of Sailor Moon S. They are working on a movie to cover SS. The anime aired while the manga was still going so while there are filler episodes I feel that they serve to develop the characters and you can see the friendship develop. The 90s anime is also good to see where Toei took ideas for Pretty Cure after Sailor Moon end. It's also worth watching because Tuxedo Kamen throws roses in the 90s anime and didn't in Crystal which is a crime.

Ah, wasn't entirely clear whether or not this was an FMA: Brotherhood situation where the remake was generally considered the better show. I'll just stick to my original plan and watch both then (plus the live action series as well just because I feel like it).

Plus I heard that in Crystal pretty much any Scout not named Usagi or Chibiusa doesn't get a whole lot of focus in the series so all the more reason to see the original first.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 9, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

og sailor moon can drag a bit and occasionally there are a few bad episodes that don't contribute anything and stick out really badly, but largely the creative turns it takes compared to the manga make it a lot more stylish and lend more neglected characters a lot more personality than the manga gave them

it's a shame because the newer seasons of crystal actually look really nice but i can't imagine sailor moon s being as fun of a ride without all the stuff the original anime added

So you would say this is one of the cases where the anime (the 90's version at any rate) is actually better than the manga in most aspects?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The manga is the weakest version of Sailor Moon and part of the reason why Crystal season 1 is so bleah is it stays way to close to the manga. Of course the fact that Toei was a mess production wise at the time also didn't help (Hi Happiness Charge Precure)

Hell, if what I've heard is correct the only reason the manga kept going at all was because of the original anime's popularity (I believe the first arc of the series was originally supposed to be the only one).

Which is also why the second season opens with a filler arc, they needed to give the original creator time to come up with a continuation for the manga. Though I believe I've also heard that said creator didn't particularly like the 90's series all that much for whatever reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hopefully the SuperS adaption (do we even have a release date for that yet?) being a movie is just a fluke and they'll go back to normal episodes if and when they get around to doing Stars. Stars is sort of unique from the rest at any rate, it's the only season where they bothered to change the opening theme song, the only one where Sailor Moon herself was not involved in the first fight of the series and, until the current redub gets to it at least, was the only season that was never shown in America (though I think that was mostly due to them losing the license for the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I just watched the first episode of the live action Sailor Moon series. It's actually a lot better than I was expecting, it's different enough from the first season to be seen as its own unique thing (they didn't really put much effort into finding actors that actually looked like their anime/manga counterparts but it still works well enough) and I like that in this version transforming changes more than just the clothes the girls are wearing. They probably could have done something better with Luna besides "animated plush toy" though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Allarion posted:

They’ll do more with Luna.... it’s not necessarily better but it’s very different

I know some stuff about that (like how she eventually becomes a Sailor Scout herself) but it's still a little weird. Honestly just using a real cat probably would have been preferable to what we got (it just looks super fake even by toku standards), though that might have made it harder to pull some scenes off. Still though, so far this show more or less seems to be "Crystal, only good". It seems to stick a bit closer to the manga (what with Ami debuting in the second episode and all) but it also is free to do its own thing.

Also like I said before, I like how the Sailor Scouts actually look like different people when they transform in this version. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the original gave any explanation as to why nobody could recognize the girls in Sailor form despite the fact that their faces aren't hidden or altered in any way.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I do like that Luna still retains the same VA in the live action adaption as she did in the 90's show at the very least. Related to that, did any of the original actors in the Japanese version return to reprise their roles in Crystal or did everyone just get recast?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Watching a bit more of PGSM I take back what I said about the Luna doll since in retrospect, trying to get a real cat to do half the stuff they needed would have been an absolute nightmare for the production staff. Not to mention the inherent problems with bringing a live animal into a public building for filming.

It's kind of too bad they didn't cover the rest of the series to be honest as it might have been interesting to see. Not sure how they would have handled Chibi Moon though as you can't really have a little kid performing their own stunts. The whole gimmick of Uranus trying to pass herself off as a man might not have worked that well either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Precure, are any of the crossover movies particularly worth watching?

As far as my personal watch goes I just started Smile. So far I can say that Akane is the best (and probably my favorite overall so far aside from Nagisa from the original) and I kind of like the villain designs. Does the show stay pretty decent throughout or does it start to fall apart eventually?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is this the first time we've had a previous Cure actually show up in a different series outside of the All-Stars films?

That said, I kind of hope more show up eventually and this winds up being the Precure equivalent of Kamen Rider Decade/Gokaiger/Ultraman Mebius.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 24, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I'm not sure if this is the direction they'll be going from here, a legacy Precure series could possibly work. Not sure if you could pull off the "transform into previous warriors" gimmick in a series like this but having former Cures show up to lend a hand/pass on advice to the protagonists could be cool and you could have little tribute arcs/episodes for each respective series. You could even have one of the main heroines be a huge Precure fangirl or something (though I seem to remember something like that being done before but I forget which series it was).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm curious if this means that the girls from Futari Wa showing up in Hugtto is just a short little arc to promote the movie or if Nagisa and Honoka are actually going to be sticking around for a while.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, it feels kind of odd to promote the movie five months in advance. Usually, Toei's tie ins for this stuff are more contemporary.

True, though the fact that they're just there with the Hugtto group in the trailer could indicate that the original two will be sticking around in the series for a little while. Not sure if that's the case but having the oldest and youngest Cures working together could be interesting to see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I was kind of hoping that Nagisa and Honoka would stick around a little longer but it was still nice to see some of my favorite Cures in action again. I wonder if more crossovers are on the way and the second half of Hugtto will wind up becoming the Gokaiger/Decade/Mebius of Precure shows.

As for Hugtto itself, I wasn't wild about the concept at first but this show has been getting surprisingly good lately.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

given they're doing this so far in advance of the movie and the way the ending is cut before it shows certain teams, I'd say there's a good chance of other teams showing up.

Works for me, it's better for individual teams to interact with the Hugtto girls separately rather than just cramming everybody in at once ala your average All Stars movie (though the prominence of the Futari Wa girls in the trailer makes me think they might be coming back again at some point).

Honestly I kind of wish Precure would start going the Sentai route and just do crossover films featuring the current team and the previous year's team (with other groups only showing up during anniversary seasons). It'd be a lot less cluttered that way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aurora posted:

they already decluttered by moving to a 3 team format for all stars movies

this year is special because it's a big number anniversary, i suppose

Ah, I couldn't remember if that was the norm now or if they just did it for a few films before going back to what they usually do. Good to know then.

To be honest, I just watched the second All Star movie and didn't bother with the rest because it was such a clusterfuck. Am I to assume the more recent ones are a little better handled?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 1, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The original Pretty Cure has already been up on Crunchyroll for a while now but it would still be great to get some other shows on there as well.

Speaking of which, the original Pretty Cure apparently got a dub as well but it was only aired in Canada and the UK. Has anyone actually watched said dub and if so, how was it?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 3, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The Precure on CR is like sub VHS fansub quality though.

Yeah YTV got an English dub and except for the name changes it was pretty faithful. Voices are kids dub level but it has the original music and content edits are pretty light too. Kinda of wish it was online somewhere to watch

Nowhere legally anyway (unless there are DVDs still in print out there somewhere) but I'm sure it's out there on the internet somewhere. Good to know it was better handled than Glitter Force at any rate, was Max Heart also dubbed or was it just the first season?

Yeah, fair point. The subs on CR are passable enough but the video quality is kind of poo poo and it felt like I was watching an HK sub half the time (plus occasional moments where they just flat out forget to sub something). it's still pretty much the only official release for the series we have so far though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 3, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I know this show is basically Kamen Rider/Sentai for young girls (even going so far as to add "sixth rangers" to the group in certain seasons) but out of curiosity for even the briefest of moments has there ever been a male Cure or at least a Tuxedo Mask-esque ally that's fought alongside one of the teams?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I've been going through some of the older shows and do any Precure teams that require a dual transformation (such as Futari Wa and Splash Star) ever gain the ability to transform solo? It just seems to me that constantly requiring a partner in order to properly defend yourself in battle seems kind of like a liability to me.

Secret identities are kind of weird too, there's one episode of the original where the assistant pincipal seems to recognize Nagisa and Honoka immediately and other times it's like Sailor Moon where somehow nobody can recognize them despite their faces not being altered or masked in any way (later show are a little better at this though as there the girls actually look like physically different people after transforming). It also kind of amuses me that the character models for the Futari Wa and Splash Star girls look almost identical in their civilian forms.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Allarion posted:

Well the Futari Wa duo literally can't transform without the other present, which was a plot point in one of the episodes.

Yeah I understand that, I was just curious if they ever found away around that particular issue in either the original show or Max Heart (I'm guessing not though).

It's kind of interesting how much more aggressive the original duo seem to be when compared to their successors (and of course there's that infamous scene in one of the movies where the two seem to actively be trying to kill each other, which understandably made more than a few children upset). In fact, at times the original show almost feels more like a Shounen series that just happens to feature female protagonists. The costume designs are also a lot less flashy and more practical than what came afterwards.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 3, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a live action Precure series? You'd obviously have to age up the protagonists a bit but I think it could work pretty well (the Sailor Moon adaption they did a while back was pretty decent for what it was after all).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You'd have to age the girls up a little but I could see the original series working in live action. The fairies could be done with a combination of CGI and puppetry and/or dolls, full CGI for the Dark King, a little mix of everything for the Zakenna and physical suits for most of the generals (as for Nagisa, either have her hair change color when she transforms ala PGSM or just make her a brunette). Yes! could also potentially work since the fairies there spend the majority of their time as humans and the villains are basically just evil businessmen (plus a live action Bunbee would be hilarious).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 5, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Futari Wa is still one of my favorites as it's basically DBZ for girls (almost literally, the two shows share a director). I like how Nagisa manages to somehow simultaneously come off as both an adorable dork and a terrifying badass at the same time (Honoka has her moments too).

As for other shows, Precure 5 and, as you mentioned, Fresh are also pretty good. Smile gets very episodic after the main team is assembled but I like most of the cast and the current series Hugtto is also surprisingly decent (though it takes about 4 or 5 episodes before it really starts picking up steam).

Off the subject, but do we have any idea how the upcoming Salior Moon Crystal movie(or movies as the case may end up being) are going to work (that is, are they just going to cram the entire arc into a feature length film or release it theatrically as a batch but still divide it up into episodes ala Digimon Tri)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, but I decided to check out Madoka on a whim. This show is batshit insane and I kind of love it (imagine Precure only almost none of the girls are on the same side and the fairy companion is an evil bastard). I'm sure this was completely intentional but I like the contrast between the opening and ending as well, the former is kind of upbeat and attempts to trick the viewer into thinking they're in for another bog-standard magical girl series while the ending is super dark and gloomy.

It's also one of the most Shounen-esque magical girl shows I've seen since the original Pretty Cure (in that despite the cast being mostly female, there's not much overtly girly about it).