Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah I understand that, I was just curious if they ever found away around that particular issue in either the original show or Max Heart (I'm guessing not though).

It's kind of interesting how much more aggressive the original duo seem to be when compared to their successors (and of course there's that infamous scene in one of the movies where the two seem to actively be trying to kill each other, which understandably made more than a few children upset). In fact, at times the original show almost feels more like a Shounen series that just happens to feature female protagonists. The costume designs are also a lot less flashy and more practical than what came afterwards.

That’s because the director was the guy who did Dragonball and DBZ. No, I’m not kidding.

Incidentally, anyone got any clips of real great magical girl action scenes from the past few years?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

This weeks Precure sure was an episode of Aikatsu in all the really good ways

Also the ex Criasu generals got their lives in order quickly after leaving the company which is Toei just dunking on capitalism again :lol:

Gosh, I wonder why a bunch of people working for Toei would be mad about capitalism?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In Hugtto chat, I’m seeing a lot of posts about Emiru and Ruru, but not a lot about Hana’s giant crush on Homare. Does that go anywhere?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hungry posted:

Where exactly do I begin if I've never seen any of Precure?

They’re mostly self-contained, so just dropping in with Hugtto or one of the other well-received ones should be fine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fantastic long read in which a Kotaku journalist delves into the doomed attempt to make an American Sailor Moon TV show, and searches for the lost, legendary pilot episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think StrikerS has its merits, even if it’s poorly-paced. It really leans into that sci-fi magical girl thing, and the resultant aesthetic is pretty cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Futari Wa is still probably one of my favorite seasons but they're all decent in their own ways (with the possible exception of HeartCatch). The current season Hugtto is also far better than it would appear to be at first glance (it does take a few episodes to really get going though).

I thought Heartcatch was the one that got all the plaudits?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Since I'm about 90% certain Star Twinkle will be space themed I'm guessing most of the Cures will be named after planets and/or constellations/zodiac signs. I'm also expecting at least one alien Cure and maybe a few Sailor Moon homages here and there (this series has already referenced Kamen Rider at least once so why not).

If you think about it, this franchise in general has basically been Dragon Ball meets Super Sentai from the word go (except these girls don't need any robots to deal with giant monsters).

Dating robots, on the other hand, is A-OK.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, which Precure was it who took her entire moveset from Mazinger Z?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I mean, he's still kind of a loser as evidenced by his recent Hugtto cameo but I believe he is the first villian in this series to not only get redeemed a bit at the end but also live through his respective series and beyond, that's pretty good I'd say.

But yeah, not sure if it'll continue on to the next season but Precure has kind of shyed away from outright killing most of its villains as of late. Hell, the Hugtto girls technically don't even destroy the MOTW, they just kind of purify them and presumably send them back into their human host (not 100% sure on that but since the former Criasu employees that tangled with the Precure all become normal humans afterwards I assume something similar happened with the various Oshimaida).

The Oshimaida don't really seem to be alive in a conventional sense - they're just big, dumb negative-emotion golems, as evidenced by the fact that Homare was able to fight her own Oshimaida.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

On the one hand is "Prince of Darkness" gonna be this generation's "Endless Waltz"?

On the other, LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE.

BTW: Why was Dunbine called twice?

One was the OVA sequel, maybe?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I doubt that's going to be it but now I kind of want to see what a ninja themed Precure series would be like.

On that subject, Toei should experiment more with this series like they do with Sentai. For example we could have: Dinosaur Cures, Space Cures, Vehicle or Sports themed Cures, time travel (maybe for an anniversary season though that kind of just sounds like Precure ZI-O), a team of adults rather than teenagers (doubtful as that would sort of defeat the purpose of it being a Magical Girl show), a team with public identities from the start(actually that could work pretty well for an idol-based season come to think about it), etc.

Detective Precure seems like an obvious one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gyaru Precure then, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Pink looks kind of like an older Emiru while Blue and Purple look almost identical (maybe they're sisters or something).

Yellow has an oddly similar haircut too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

The civilian forms and names:

Pink: Cure Star (Hikaru Hoshina)
Blue: Cure Milky (Lala Hakoromo)
Yellow: Cure Soleil (Elena Amamiya)
Purple: Cure Selene (Madoka Kaguya)

Ayup, Lala is totally an alien Cure.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I get Pink and Purple (the former contains the word Hoshi, or "Star" and Kaguya is a Japanese folktale about a princess on the moon) but what are the puns in Blue and Yellow's names?

I think 'Ama' means 'shine', as in 'Amaterasu'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the names are probably coincidental but it's just something I picked up on. Having initially gotten into this franchise about midway through Hugtto Star Twinkle will be my first Precure series where I'll be able to follow along from the start and I like what I see so far (some of the designs for the girls are a bit generic but hopefully their personalities will make up for it). Based on her name and pointed ears I am basically convinced now that Lala is an alien and after Henri in the current series I'm confident they'll be able to respectfully handle a mixed race character as well (assuming that is in fact the case for Elena).

Both Kira Kira and Hugtto have been great so far (though they both have kind of a slow start and I'm not the biggest fan of the former's Sixth) so hopefully this will follow suit. I am sort of curious how much space will actually factor into this series though (such as if the girls will ever leave Earth for example)

It'll be Macross, except that the idols will be punching people while the mecha sing their theme music in the background.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting that they're pairing off all four Cures so clearly - Hikaru with Lala, Elena with Kiyono. Has that happened before in the franchise?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

wattaya mean pairing off? The group seems to be a team from the get go.

Elena and Madoka are clearly designed to parallel each other in design and story role from the get go like Chocolat and Macaron were, but it's unknown if the two of them will have any significant relationship in the actual show.

I mean, it seems like the obvious way for things to go, since there's so much easy storytelling opportunity in it - while there'll surely be plenty of interaction between all members of the group, each of the two pairs seems best designed to play off each other. You've got the inquisitive space nerd and the alien, and you've got the prim and proper rich girl and the outgoing part-time worker (who both even have very different but potentially complementary relationships with flowers).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

In other news we've got our first look at Star Twinkle's "Sixth" Cure:

It's a Blue catgirl Cure with the name "Cure Cosmo", some are speculating she's an alien too.

Are you just using 'sixth Cure' as shorthand, or has number five been revealed?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, I really like the look of this show. They went all in on the children's picturebook aesthetic, and it looks great. The colours are clear and vivid without being gaudy, the character designs are cartoony without being grotesque (I'll be honest, I found the Hugtto cast's gigantic, low-set eyes a tad unsettling), and the whimsical set design and painted backgrounds really bring you into the mood of the story. Now, if they could just get rid of those terrifying CGI EDs, we'd be golden.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pikestaff posted:

I genuinely love that we've got legitimate space battles and lightsabers in Precure. Also I love that Hikaru is into not just space, but also "cryptids and the occult". What a neat girl :allears:

And that she saw a guy who looked like a Dragonball Z villain having a midlife crisis and went 'wow, he's badass'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hugtto's first fight didn't involve bowling alley sound effects when Hana took the bad guys down. :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, it does mean that, and doesn't have any etymological link to the other N-word (it's derived from Scandinavian languages), but I can definitely see why you might want to avoid it anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, the four main Cures do seem to be pretty clearly set up as two 'opposites attract' couples. Elena and Madoka even have the Maho Girls sun/moon dichotomy going on.

Come to think of it, it's from outside the franchise so it may just be a coincidence, but didn't the Flip Flappers girls wear paired asymmetrical socks as well? The silhouettes of their costumes are also suspiciously similar.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 11, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Show gets props for unconventional spins on classic yokai, at least. Who else would you expect in the lineup? We've had a tengu for red and a kappa for green, so maybe a tanuki for yellow and an oni for blue?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume the princesses will give the Cures alternative forms - three each.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The one thing that surprises me about the generals is that I can't think of a single other show that's tried its hand at a sexy kappa before now. With how popular they are and how artists being horny is a universal constant, it just seems unlikely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Michiru and Kaoru were also voiced by the same actresses who played Moop and Foop respectively (though in Kaoru's case it was her second actress as the original left the show after becoming pregnant).

On a similar note, the villains in DokiDoki are all meant to correspond to one of the Seven Deadly Sins: Ira (Wrath), Marmo (Greed), Bel (Sloth), Leva (Envy), Gula (Gluttony), Regina (Lust) and Selfish King (Pride). Also in Yes 5 the employees of Nightmare are all based on animals/insects that eat/bother butterflies (mantis, spider, frog, bird, bat, chameleon, bee)

Off the subject but a few new Star Twinkle characters have been revealed. Starting from the top we have a pair of NotRaider generals named Garuuga (the blue guy) and Iwan (the one eyed alien girl) as well as a new classmate at Hikaru's school named Sakurako Himenoji.

I should note that there is a chance Iwan is an ushi-oni rather than the conventional kind of oni, which would explain his blue skin (they're aquatic) and his heavy cloak (they're part-spider, so there may be a whole bunch of legs under there). His jowls also look kind of like a spider's fangs. Yes, I know blue oni exist, and that they seeem to be going for big-name yokai rather than more obscure ones, but it'd be a cool twist if they do choose it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Finally after almost 30+ years the Sun has a Toei magical girl and she is awesome. And Gay

I mean, the writer already did Maho Girls, which had an extremely gay sun Precure as the main character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Super Robot Wars has had magical girls for quite a while now.

Say hello, Yui.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What on Earth is going on with Cure White's arm there?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

In Star Twinkle news it appears our mystery girl from the opening finally has a name. The first OST for the series has been released and contains a track called “The Universal Phantom Thief, Blue Cat”.

Based on scans that have been floating around it’s likely she’s going to become our mid season addition Cure Cosmo:

As such I’ll be curious to see what her deal is (I’m assuming a third party also on the hunt for the Princess Pens that winds up getting mixed up in the current conflict).

She keeps showing up with the Notraiders, so I'd guess she's a merc that goes rogue. What I'm interested in is which of the Raiders flips - Kappard seems like the obvious one (cool/pathetic dude with vaguely honourable fighting style and heavily-hinted tragic backstory), but while Tenjo and Iwan are sadistic jerks, they're treated lightly enough by the show that I can see them finding some kind of goodness within themselves a few eps down the line (maybe after Bakenyan screws them all over, because we all know he's going to screw them all over).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Maybe he'll wind up being the secret final boss like was the case with Close in Go Princess (either that or switch over to the side of the Precure at some point).

He's already mused about how gathering the Star Pens is the path to ultimate power for whoever does it, and that 'sorry, I think my power level would imbalance the fusion' line can easily be read as a discreet insult to Aiwan and the others. He's either the true final boss or someone who's going to make a serious bid at being the true final boss (depending on how badass Darknest turns out to be).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Bakenyan is definitely going to be important in some fashion. At the moment I’m still guessing either surprise final boss or a spy working for our upcoming Phantom Thief girl.

Off the subject, but out of curiosity did Regina show up during the big in-series Hugtto crossover from a while back? I know a few faces we don’t see that often popped up such as the Kiryuu sisters (in their “Cure” forms no less), Royal Candy, Cure Mofurun and Cure Echo but I don’t remember if there were any more besides the main groups.

He could be the phantom thief girl's evil boss, looking to steal Darknest and the Star Princesses' power for himself. That would fit quite well with everything we know about him so far.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Being reliant enough on the AI to have a panic attack when she can't access it is kind of a problem, yes. She's the only one of her race on a backwater planet fighting a covert war. If that little glove of hers breaks, there's no guarantee she can fix it. Learning to do things the local, low-tech way is just basic good sense.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mostly what I'm thinking about is when they're walking home and Lala says that using the AI helped her avoid making mistakes, and Hikaru says "It's okay to make mistakes." I feel like if the message was supposed to be "Lala is acting weird" then Hikaru should have instead said something like "You're not acting like yourself" or "You don't have to try so hard to fit in." But making Hikaru talk about how it's okay to make mistakes made it seem like she was saying using the AI was a bad thing. And while she's not wrong, it is okay to make mistakes, not being able to read a single bit of Japanese in a Japanese middle school is not a good thing and something Lala shouldn't feel bad about using the AI for. Again, not that she can't study it and learn it on her own (and as I said it does seem like they vaguely implied she's going to do that) but until she gets better, using the AI is not a bad thing. Like, if I went to Japan right now and couldn't read a word of it, it wouldn't be bad for me to have some sort of booklet that has common characters and such to tell me what some basic signs say, and that's basically what the AI was doing for her.

Which is why I felt a little relieved that the resolution after the battle was more "It's okay to have a weird speech quirk and be unique." That's definitely a good message, and I can accept that maybe Hikaru was just being an idiot when she was talking to Lala earlier and said something dumb. It wouldn't be the first time in this series. And her not having the AI at the end I can accept as "Hikaru and friends are going to work harder to help her out in learning earth things so she doesn't need it."

I guess this is where suspension of disbelief comes in because if they can't even add double digits in their heads how could her race fix the AI if it broke on her home planet? But I know I'm not supposed to think that hard about it. :v:

That's what other AIs are for, of course. Lala is apparently from a highly integrated, technologically dependent culture, which is fine while she's there, but a liability when she's outside the support network that makes the whole place run. Learning Japanese without her AI is an excellent idea if, for instance, her glove gets busted in a fight, she gets split up from the rest of the team, and she needs to read some street signs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I kind of hope we get a focus episode about Hikaru’s family at some point as despite being Pink she seems to ironically be the least developed member of the team so far.

I feel Elena could maybe use a bit more fleshing out. She doesn't have an obvious arc ahead of her like the others.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’m not sure if we’ve ever had a character get two focus episodes back to back before. I also look forward to finding out more about Madoka’s future teammate/girlfriend Mao as well.

As for the Blue Cat herself, Mao seems a bit more altruistic than I expected and clearly seems to have some history with Aiwan. I’ll be interested to find out what her deal is.

Also subs are out now for episode 15.

Seems fairly obvious from Ep 15 and Cure Cosmos's design - she's a refugee from the Rainbow Planet who wants her culture's stuff back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, this episode was just weird about Blue Cat's thieving. Hikaru and the others were totally fine with her stealing a bunch of poo poo when they got to the treasure room, even before Drams said that she sold the stuff to the poor. And their justification for allowing Blue Cat to steal the Planet Rainbow stuff was "It makes her happy." Which uh...? Not really a great justification for allowing someone to steal something! I mean it's pretty obvious Blue Cat has some sort of connection to Rainbow and if that had been revealed then I can see them defending her theft of it ("They were hers to begin with!") but overall them not even caring about stealing someone else's stuff is bizarre.

We get a scene of Coupe beating up Snackies that's pretty similar to the theme song in one of the last episodes, and he actually does speak a little bit, just not in his fairy form, only in his Mysterious Guy form.

I think the point is that there was no malice to Mao's delight when she saw the Planet Rainbow stuff - it got her to drop her guard as a hardass master thief and express sincere joy and relief. The Cures are all pretty emotionally intelligent, and they can tell when someone's encountered something that means a massive amount to them personally. Since they're already very aware that Drams doesn't give a poo poo about his hoard, it seems obvious who needs it more.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 27, 2019