Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Started watching the original Pretty Cure in the meantime, got to the end of Pissard's episodes yesterday. I think even Jadeite would be embarrassed by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A decent amount since they're before Sentai and Rider anyway, and I watched a bit of this one years and years ago. I appreciate how much it feels like they were trying stuff out since it wasn't really a standardized franchise yet. Like the ending of episode six, where Black and White just go :fuckoff: and hit Gekidrago with Marble Screw right away once he appears before he even realizes what's going on. That doesn't really happen today.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This week's episode of Kirameiger ended with a preview of their Sixth Ranger blatantly being advertised for next week. So once we're past whatever they had animated/planned out for Healin' Good I imagine Earth will show up quickly herself, not that that's a surprise at this point.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Those look pretty good, aesthetically pleasing and it does look like a super mode (looking at you, Hugtto).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
One thing I found interesting about this episode: if you count the bird was a Monster of the Week, was he the first Precure one to be more like something you'd see on Sailor Moon, with a unique personality and speech? Even when they came out of a victim of the week in other seasons they'd always tended to be mindless and have one-word vocabularies.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh yeah I forgot about those. Kira in general shook up that usual formula, which was nice.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Finally, they've had that bit in the opening since HG started and they've only gotten what, ten minutes of screentime together?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I imagine they'll bring it up a bit with Daruizen now, but I kinda wish they'd touched on the morality of just blowing away Daruizen Jr. after he was alive, what, a couple minutes? At least it felt more questionable than the animal generals since he barely seemed to have any agency beyond his base instincts.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Nanoha and Symphogear have content in their first seasons that sound like they may not be what you'd enjoy, Physics. Specifically, the former has kind of an extreme scene of physical abuse from a parent to their child, the latter has very heavy implications of past sexual assault on a main character, something they wisely never brought up again for them in seasons afterward. I like them both but it seems worth mentioning.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Technically they didn't try to make him look like the lead, they just started the series at where he showed up to try to make it look like there was a male lead around just as much.

Which didn't work since eventually they had to go back to the episodes with just Sakura. :v:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Pikestaff posted:

Are there any other magical girl (or magical girl adjacent) shows out there with a duo dynamic a la Futari wa Precure? It's my favorite type of dynamic for this genre but most of the shows I've found focus either on a single heroine or on a team.

The second season of Nanoha, kind of?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wonder if they're just going for the obvious mermaid angle or something a bit more out there? The villains seem like they'd write themselves in such a premise at least.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A focus on make-up for a Precure season reads kind of ominously after Happiness Charge.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If he is, the mid-season attack involved the girls putting on very thick, unappealing make-up to do it that made them look like clowns at best. The actual attack also had them singing, which at least made it feel like it went on for a lot longer than equivalent finishers.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They probably did, all the images I could find of Innocent Form weren't as bad as I remember. Hugtto also managed to do it the whole show okay anyway, so I was kinda being facetious.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They did the Goranger's finisher! Good episode.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ah, probably should have expected an Ursula equivalent if we're doing mermaids. Nice to see the HG composer is being used again, he's done great work.

I will say though, I hope we see more of the main villain this time after the last two seasons.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 26, 2020

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Larryb posted:

Also it seems that King Byogen is voiced by Hozumi Goda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hozumi_Gōda

King Byogen drinks, and the coffee of Sukoyaka is bitter indeed.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first person gets pretty uncomfortable with a particular character and implies some very unnecessary things, but it gets kind of walked back in following ones since there's a director change.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
No movies (so far), and I think it's still on Crunchyroll?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It wrapped up pretty conclusively with the fifth season. It could have something more, and obviously the mobile game is still putting out content, but for the moment there's nothing animated in the works.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Much respect for Rabirin and basically everyone else going "Well yeah, why would you want to help him? He sucks."

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That double tap they gave her was completely savage. I approve!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
We're probably adding 'mermaid' to that with Tropical though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Not having a shark bad guy seems like a missed thing, wonder if that will be the Joker equivalent later on?

oh lord, Witch has Precia's voice actor

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You'd be hard pressed to look up anything about Tropical Rouge without seeing Laura, you couldn't really say the same for Regina.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Grace going "More like Die-Ruizen, lmao" was more than enough for me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's odd that they used a new villain for Minori's first episode, but not Asuka's. It probably doesn't mean anything but it'd be funny if the maid was the strongest of the generals.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Stinger Sam is a great name.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like the cannon will end up being an imagine spot/excuse to reference JAKQ, just because Precure finishers tend not to work like that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The in-universe reasoning for it happening also ends up being kind of a letdown that's resolved way too fast.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Okay but why not actually just turn them into mermaids for it?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What bad guys do you even have for a restaurant season?

But I guess you could say the same for KiraKira, not like the villains there had much of a unifying theme.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Talking about first-episode traditions, Manatsu didn't really do the jump and Yui did.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wow, Mew Mew was only one year before Precure and Nanoha? Talk about being a bit late.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SatoshiMiwa posted:

it was just announced so probably not yet but hopefully it isn't like the Nanoha project that was hinted at the Nanoha event before the pandemic that's been forgotten

Well, it actually turns out the project was trying to see how many Gacha games they can have her guest-star in before people get sick of it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can agree there, outside of Yui and Takumi kinda I didn't really like any of the team, and the villains sort of all sucked. I also don't really like it personally when the extra Precure is a bad guy but was just brainwashed, it feels like there's no arc there.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Her and Twilight combined annoyed me since they happened so soon together it felt like they just forgot why people liked Setsuna's turn.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The dub of Futari Wa is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Discotek announced yesterday that they'll be rereleasing the first Nanoha series, dub and all.