Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So my friend has dragged me into this sparkly, glorious hell that is magical girls and I am obsessed. First she showed me Fresh Precure (I would die for Cure Passion), then we watched Kira Kira Precure a la Mode together and honestly I loved that one too. Next we moved on to Madoka - a bit of a scene change for sure, but I was informed that it's basically required viewing - then back to the fluff with Sailor Moon. Once we did all that I decided that Precure was my favorite of what we watched so far so I'm starting from the top so I can watch all of it. I've seen all of Futari wa and I'm about halfway through Max Heart and god I love it so much. Honoka and Nagisa are too drat cute :kimchi:

I don't know why I was sleeping on this genre for so long (actually I do, it's because I refused to watch Sailor Moon as a kid because it was "girly" and went for DBZ instead. Thank god now I'm making up for it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Aurora posted:

madoka is targetted at me, a lesbian

idk I think I'm a Precure lesbian. I liked Madoka, but I like magical schoolgirls singing about love and friendship during a credits dance party even more. Bonus points if the lyrics are super gay.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nodosaur posted:

Have you listened to Chocolat and Macaron's duet yet?

So, so many times.

I may or may not have also uploaded the song to my Spotify and bought figures of both Chocolat and Macaron. :shobon:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

God bless Kamikita, everything they draw is incredibly gay and also cute

"Hey, so you know how we had a love confession in Kira Kira? Let's kick it up a notch and turn them into Lady and the Tramp and give them babies"

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/961923474934480897

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Darth Walrus posted:

Fantastic long read in which a Kotaku journalist delves into the doomed attempt to make an American Sailor Moon TV show, and searches for the lost, legendary pilot episode.

That was fascinating.

I guess you can't really blame the dude who spearheaded it for trying. I mean, it worked for Super Sentai/Power Rangers.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nagisa and Honoka are as good as married on official merchandise too

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

1 chapter villain in the manga that wanted Chocolate. The whole chapter is real good and real gay

Sooo is there a place I can read this? Preferably with an English translation but if not I'll just look at the pretty pictures and stumble my way through what little hiragana I know

edit: vvv thank you for the links :)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 11, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I think Toei honestly tried to get the first one going over here - they had an English web site directed towards potential licensors, and they screened dubbed episodes at Anime Expo 2007, before the official dub existed - but then when it didn't take off the way they were hoping they kind of just gave up entirely.

I believe Precure might have gotten off the ground in Italy, at least for a few seasons. I've seen Italian dubs of Fresh on Youtube.

And yeah as mentioned the West (North America at least) has a weird hangup where magical girl shows are automatically "Sailor Moon ripoffs" unless they're substantially different.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 11, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

God I love Futari Wa, something about the squishiness of the animation was so delightful and all the characters (even the side characters) were great. I think it's actually my favorite Precure that I've watched so far.

Currently I'm watching Splash Star and the fairies are so drat cute, they're like little bean bags :3:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Max Heart also contains the only Cure in the franchise (I think anyway) that is not actually named as such (Shiny Luminous).

There's also Milky Rose from Yes Precure 5 GoGo! I think she and Shiny Luminous are the only two because the director had a hangup about girls from another world being actual Cures, since the lesson was supposed to be normal everyday girls saving the world. Then Fresh Precure came along and got a new director and they axed that rule and we got Cure Passion (not that I'm complaining since she's my all time favorite).

But yeah the more hands-on nature of the fighting in Futari Wa was really fun to watch.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

They get the Kiryuus but that wasn't really a permanent thing and I think Toei has forgotten that they exist so I don't think they really count.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nodosaur posted:

Toei hasn't forgotten them. Their Precure forms are getting figuarts.

Oh that's neat, I didn't know that.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I have the feeling the Kiryuu's probably would of been Cure's if the second Precure movie didn't get parents (rightfully) angry so they changed that so Cures wouldn't be fighting Cures

god that scene was so intense. I love when Honoka realized she had hurt Nagisa so she just sort of held her arms out and willed her to come end it. Like I understand why they decided that was too much for kids but goddamn I loved it.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Max Heart's second movie is the best one I've seen so far. The action was so drat good and there was so much gay subtext that Nagisa and Honoka may as well be married at this point. I love the ending where they ski off into the sunset leaving the Token Male Character behind in the dust and then we get an ending musical slideshow featuring tons of shots of the two girls with lyrics like "I LIKE YOU THE MOST IN THE WORLD!"

BattleCattle posted:

Kintolesky is the first boy cure, I don't care what anyone thinks, he's pretty, he's cure.

My favorite Kintolesky moment is when the other baddies tell him to use strategy, so he puts on a dumb mask and then immediately takes it off when he confronts Pretty Cure and then gets all "Wow strategy is stupid, what was the point of that" :allears:

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 22, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much par for the course as far as Precure shows go anyway. Like this bit from Princess for example:

Don't remember if there's actually been any characters who are explicitly identified as gay though.

Akira and Yukari had their one confession episode, their super gay duet song, Akira's intensely suggestive image songs (which are pretty blatantly directed at Yukari), and a bunch of art by the Kamikitas (official manga artists) where they're doing things like getting married or being surrounded by magical yuri babies, so I think they're the winners so far

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/961923474934480897

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 22, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Fair enough, my main problem is that aside from the girls dancing there's usually not really that much else to a lot of them (Hugtto is a little better in that regard though). I liked the one in the original series though as it got almost the entire cast involved (including the villains), the song was pretty catchy as well though I forget what it was called.

it IS super catchy. GET YOU LOVE LOVE MOODO-JAN

the dances are really cute because they're usually easy enough for the target audience (young girls) to learn and then you get really adorable videos of a bunch of five year olds dancing at Precure live events.

Alternatively you can dance along to the video game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb-cI8Aqi6M

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 23, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

(Nagisa was also crushing on a guy but I don't think anything ever came of it)

my favorite was in the Max Heart movie 2 when Nagisa was upset that said dude was hanging out with Honoka, although it was framed so it looked like she was jealous of the dude because Honoka is hers damnit. Honoka even came and asked her if she was distraught over him and Nagisa's response was to get all upset and exclaim "NO YOU DON'T GET IT" because come on Honoka, that girl loves you. she loves you so much.

anyway no one is straight in Precure maybe some of the girls are bi but no one is straight.

as an aside check out this bootleg merch I found at Dollar Tree last week

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

drat the last couple of episodes of Splash Star weren't messing around. Some absolutely brutal fight scenes plus a villain whose motivation is to just. Reverse entropy. Daaaamn.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So I finally watched Sailor Stars. It was tough to get into at first because the Sailor Starlights are obnoxious as all hell and I felt like the only real pathos from the series was coming from the villain's lackeys, but then the last ten episodes or so were astounding and pretty much makes up for it. I especially loved the villain Galaxia and her backstory. Like, imagine knowing that you're destined to become the galaxy's biggest villain due to your heroic actions and just hoping to god that someday someone can stop you. Holy poo poo.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yeah, honestly the MotW episodes of Sailor Stars were... Pretty bad to the point that I considered dropping it a few times, I'm glad I stuck through to the end though. I actually really liked the animal Sailors (Iron Mouse, etc) and how they would just TARDIS the gently caress out of dodge when they picked yet another wrong Star Seed.

Best MotW episode from this season was the one where literally everyone just wound up in Usagi's house and shenanigans ensued.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cygames doing more for Precure in English than Toei

seeing as I'm enough Precure trash that I downloaded and frequently play the Precure puzzle game despite it being JPN-localized only, I'm now tempted to play this as well solely for my FutaPre girls :allears:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Tarte is great but I also genuinely love Porun, I know a lot of people found him annoying but I loved how he always said GANBATTE-POPO and how he mellowed out after he got a taste of his own medicine (i.e. his sister)

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Honestly I think the cutest overall fairies are the Splash Star ones. Choppy and Flappy look so fluffy and Moop and Foop are just. Flying bean bags. Adorable. :kimchi:

(also the Kiryuus should come back and be made official Cures)

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I like Sailor Moon but I like Precure more. Something about it is just more fun to me and it's more grounded, avoiding some of the weird stuff present in SM like "oh hey your daughter from the future is here and apparently you're competing with her for her dad's affections." :confused:

Also I'm kind of tired of all of Usagi's friends always taking the piss out of her. You know who saved your lives at the end of the series, right? Because it sure as hell wasn't the Sailor Starlights :colbert:

e: also Fresh being one of your faves is extremely valid, I'm always torn between whether that or FutariWa/Max Heart is my personal favorite. I would take a bullet for Cure Passion.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 15, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Honestly all the Precure seasons have their fans and their... anti-fans? Dunno if there's a word for that. My girlfriend is a huge magical girl nerd and said Heartcatch was one her least favorite Precure seasons although it's often seen as one of the best.

But yeah the last episode was fantastic :allears: Four minutes of how many magical girls was that? Like fifty-five? The best thing.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Poor Splash Star :( I mean it started out kind of slow but I thought the ending was great. I guess it was too "similar" to FW/MH on first glance.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Endorph posted:

Futari wa Splash Star: Kind of a weird retread of Futari Wa. Haven't watched much of this one, so I can't give a super informed opinion. Any Splash Star stans in the house tonight?

Splash Star: Similar to Futari Wa in the overall character design/art department and several of the tropes (i.e. holding hands to transform and there being a duo dynamic.) It's the first Precure to set up what has become a Precure regular: the redemption arc characters, and although these characters never gain full Cure status and are absent for most of the middle of the show they are an absolute delight to watch when they do show up. Solid ending thanks to what I think is one of the better supervillains in the entire franchise (and a related plot twist), and the minor villains are a lot of fun if you like your villains hammy and over-the-top. Overall the show stands on its own, the two main characters are likeable if not as fleshed out as Nagisa/Honoka and the fairy mascots are criminally cute. Probably not the best season ever and the middle drags a bit but it has its moments and honestly is worth watching.

edit: forgot to mention: the catchiest theme song in the series

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 22, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So Star Twinkle Pretty Cure has been trademarked.

https://www.twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1054389631456763905

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I had a friend point out that it could be star as in "stardom" like idols or something and the title would be a pun, but the logo is kind of giving me space vibes.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but out of curiosity are there any decent Precure related podcasts out there?

I went looking for one recently and only found one on youtube that hadn't been touched in years, so unless I missed something or a new one has popped up in the last month or two, I'm afraid there's not. :(

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

(I think the original duo and the Splash Star girls are kind of considered to be honorary Pinks and Blues respectively despite their appearance and name)?

This probably changes depending on Toei's mood but in the Precure puzzle app all Cures are sorted by color and Cure White and Cure Egret are both considered white Cures, which is separate from blue Cures.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Since we're having the color discussion, just for curiosity's sake I went through the characters in the app and they are color-coded like this:

Pink Cures:
Cure Black
Cure Bloom
Cure Dream
Cure Peach
Cure Blossom
Cure Melody
Cure Happy
Cure Heart
Cure Lovely
Cure Flora
Cure Miracle
Cure Whip
Cure Yell

Red Cures:
Cure Rouge
Cure Passion
Cure Sunny
Cure Ace
Cure Scarlet
Cure Chocolat
Cure Macherie

Purple Cures:
Milky Rose
Cure Moonlight
Cure Sword
Cure Fortune
Cure Magical
Cure Macaron
Cure Amour

Yellow Cures:
Shiny Luminous
Cure Lemonade
Cure Pine
Cure Sunshine
Cure Muse
Cure Peace
Cure Rosetta
Cure Honey
Cure Twinkle
Cure Custard
Cure Etoile

Green Cures:
Cure Mint
Cure March
Cure Felice
Cure Parfait

Blue Cures:
Cure Aqua
Cure Berry
Cure Marine
Cure Beat
Cure Beauty
Cure Diamond
Cure Princess
Cure Mermaid
Cure Gelato
Cure Ange

White Cures:
Cure White
Cure Egret
Cure Rhythm

So pink is obviously the most popular color with 13, followed by yellow at 11, blue at 10, red and purple both tied at 7, green at 4 (and let's be real, only two of those are really green) and finally white with 3.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

There should be more Cures with orange as a main color scheme, I know it's not the most marketable color in the world when it comes to girls' toys (see also: Applejack getting left out of a lot of MLP merch) but it was super cute on Cure Sunny.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I always liked how Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles put the blue one in charge.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Close up of that poster from the next All Stars movie. Notice the space motif and the shooting star logo from Star Twinkle.

I think a space Precure is all but confirmed, guys :hfive:

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 27, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Proto-Honoka looks astoundingly tsundere

edit: are they saying their names/each other's names? Because if so it looks like their original names were Kuni and (I think, it's kind of smudgy) Nanoka.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 31, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I love Proto-Nagisa's swoopy hair. I like that they kept that for the most part, especially in CGI scenes when she's got that one bouncy curl.

Honestly I don't know how they did it but CGI Nagisa is like, ridiculously cute. I think she's my favorite CGI Cure.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

My gay rear end is still bitter that the Yukari/Akira romance seemed to mysteriously disappear by the end of Kira Kira

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Allarion posted:

RUR could also be a reference to the play R.U.R. which originated the word robot.

I actually read an interview with the Huggto director recently where someone brought this up and he was like "whoa, really? neat." So happy accident I suppose.

Anyway at least this is all better than some of the unfortunate "Flesh Precure" transliterations I've seen around

(e: which absolutely isn't meant to discount how hard English is for Japanese speakers, it's just uh, jarring to see)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 5, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm gonna be that One Debbie Downer who doesn't want to see a male Cure, I am down for magical dudes in other series where it was planned from the start but Precure has always been about the power of (and love between - both platonically and romantically) girls to me. I would love to see more experimentation though... things like... a Chinese or Korean Cure who has to navigate being a minority in Japan, or a trans girl Cure.

Larryb posted:

(though I seem to recall at least one season that had something pretty close to that at least).

You're probably thinking of Rio (Ciel's sister) from Kira Kira. His whole plot arc with Ciel was that they wanted to grow up to be Precure together, (the "together" bit was emphasized) and although this never officially happened he was given the fan name Cure Waffle which one of the Kira Kira directors later used to refer to him in a tweet, so I guess he's about as close to an official male Cure as you're going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I... wouldn't call a trans character a "happy medium" at all, just another type of girl to explore, the same way we have neurodivergent Cures in the form of say, Himari, who reads as autistic.

I guess there was a trans girl in... I think Mahou Shoujo Site? But like, can we have one in a series that doesn't exist to be edgy torture material.

(obligatory disclaimer that I'm not trans so if I'm out of line, whack me)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 6, 2018