Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cephas posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Symphogear and it was real weird. It gave me like a mix of GaoGaiGar and, I dunno, Mai Hime or something vibes, but without any buildup. It's just full throttle craziness in a kind of retro way. Does this show calm down a little?

I guess I was expecting a show about :angel::glomp::sparkles::palmon: and instead I got :black101::gibs::science::rory::kamina:

it gets a lot lighter in the next few episodes, it's still super actiony and has a few brutal moments but it gets a lot brighter and goofier on the whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
symphogear is not the anti-madoka, it's just a crazy magical girl action show written by a guy who loves writing stuff that is simultaneously about really dark past trauma and also really uplifting and fun and goofy. it's written by the same guy as wild arms and those games have a similar feel

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished up sailor moon r a few months ago and i barely remember either of these things. one of those was just a less good one-off filler episode, and easily the lowest point of the season

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 11, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hate-Senpai posted:

What the gently caress is up with the braided girl's hair.

targeted self-defense weapons

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Meh

all i've heard indicates that it's not terrible but not really worth $50

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eela6 posted:

Should I watch:

Madoka
Flip-Flappers
or that Magical Boy Parody people mentioned in the chat thread?

flip flappers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

sailor moon s is one of the greatest seasons of anime ever made

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

OWLS! posted:

Is jojo a magical girl anime?

this isn't even making a joke about gorgeous irene, 1/10

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

P-Mack posted:

My daughters have been watching a show called "Glitter Force" is that bad?

it's just a bad dub of a decent magical girl show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

a kitten posted:

It looks like crunchyroll has the very first series of Pretty Cure, but not the season (series?) that Glitter Force is based off of. It doesn't seem like a lot of Pretty Cure available to legally stream. Also, it seems like there is a lot of Pretty Cure.

yes and also the heartcatch precure movie is one of the best anime movies ever made and i wanna watch the most recent season at some point cause it apparently got ridiculously good and featured an openly gay couple

P-Mack posted:

I checked and there's no sub option on Netflix, which sucks cause they prefer subs, too.

glitter force is too hacked up from the original to have subs, they chopped out eight episodes from the season and awkwardly rearranged a few scenes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
pirate smile, gopri and heartcatch

but heartcatch mainly for the movie, the show is fun but the movie owns bones

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

P-Mack posted:

Does the original Sailor Moon series hold up well? My daughters started reading the manga and seem pretty excited about it.

yes

s1 and r are pretty solid and so far, outside of like one really bad ep, sailor moon s is one of the best shows i've ever seen

https://files.catbox.moe/9ojgrt.mp4

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 9, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah there's a pretty messed up episode early on in s where half of it is spent on everyone giving mako poo poo for potentially being gay cause it was handled by a different director from most of the rest so you might wanna make it clear how hosed up that ep is if they're young

it's awkward cause almost every other episode of s has some bit where usagi crushes on haruka

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they might be talking about the new dub

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the heartcatch precure movie is one of the best movies ever made and it's worth watching the series to get the context for it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
screenshot from a super play of the classic shoot em up Usagius

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Larryb posted:

So I've finally decided to get around to watching Sailor Moon (both the original series and Crystal) and out of curiosity are any of the movies canon to the original series (that is, actually referenced in the show itself) or can most of them be skipped? In the case of the latter, are any of them worth watching anyway? Same question goes for the Precure movies actually.

watch the sailor moon r movie because it's one of the best things ikuhara has ever directed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
heartcatch is alright but i've been watching a bit of gopri and i feel that would be a better starting point tbh

heartcatch has a neat art style and the movie is fantastic but the filler episodes stand out pretty badly and it has a much weaker start

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Pissard

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ty all who told me to watch gopri

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
og sailor moon can drag a bit and occasionally there are a few bad episodes that don't contribute anything and stick out really badly, but largely the creative turns it takes compared to the manga make it a lot more stylish and lend more neglected characters a lot more personality than the manga gave them

it's a shame because the newer seasons of crystal actually look really nice but i can't imagine sailor moon s being as fun of a ride without all the stuff the original anime added

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
takeuchi doesn't like the 90s series because she got cut out of making creative decisions on it and the staff were allowed to do a couple things she wanted to do but wasn't given the go-ahead for, like killing all of the sailor soldiers at the end of s1. which, is fair, if a bit frustrating that it sounds like she had a weirder way of approaching a lot of the characters

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 10, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pikestaff posted:

So my friend has dragged me into this sparkly, glorious hell that is magical girls and I am obsessed. First she showed me Fresh Precure (I would die for Cure Passion), then we watched Kira Kira Precure a la Mode together and honestly I loved that one too. Next we moved on to Madoka - a bit of a scene change for sure, but I was informed that it's basically required viewing - then back to the fluff with Sailor Moon. Once we did all that I decided that Precure was my favorite of what we watched so far so I'm starting from the top so I can watch all of it. I've seen all of Futari wa and I'm about halfway through Max Heart and god I love it so much. Honoka and Nagisa are too drat cute :kimchi:

I don't know why I was sleeping on this genre for so long (actually I do, it's because I refused to watch Sailor Moon as a kid because it was "girly" and went for DBZ instead. Thank god now I'm making up for it.)

you can rest easy now that futari wa has combined your childhood of dbz action scenes with magical girls

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think madoka is trying to trick you into anything just because of the way it paces its tone

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Madoka Magica is a narrative

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hugtto might be one of the best anime i've ever watched

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i only have five more episodes of hugtto and then i have to start waiting for more

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's good that they're watching season one so that once they watch hugtto episode 22 will blow their minds

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://i.imgur.com/K4Dk5YS.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is this a hugtto for an ant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013