Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm a big fan of Precure, but Kira Kira has completely lost me. I like Akira and Yukari, but there's absolutely no stakes yet and Ichika, Aoi, and Himari aren't holding my interest.

Oh well. I guess I'll finally watch Splash Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Have we seen the promo for AXZ?

Why did they give Tsubasa another bike?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

stop this woman before she kills another

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aurora posted:

I was that way with GPP too but then Cure Scarlet happened and reinvigorated the show :v:

I need to finish Splash Star some day

Messing with people's dreams may not be the darkest option possible, but DysDark had more going for them than ruining people's sweets.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aurora posted:

If someone hosed with my cake I'd be upset

relatable, but unsurprisingly, it gets old when you do this over and over with villains that are more interchangeable than Precure villains already are.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, Smile is mostly one off episodes and goofing around, but you still got a sense of who these girls were and what they were all about and they were likable and you wanted to root for them.

Kirakira looked like it was gonna have that with Ichika's missing her mother and stuff like Himari's self doubt but then they proceeded not to mention any of that at all for the next 10 episodes.

I don't need a sense that most episodes are connected to a bigger whole like Dokidoki and Princess did a lot, but Kirakira feels like... I dunno. Everything is secondary to the baking theme, it feels like. Cooking is more important than the girls themselves and saving the world.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If you don't like Mermaid's hair we can't be friends.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It is a leviathan that will CONSUME ALL.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like Symphogear tries very hard to be the anti-Madoka, while making you think at first that it's gonna be just like it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see. Well, in the absence of knowing that information, and the timing in which it came out, that's just the impression I got from it.

I enjoy the contrast in any case.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Why does Maria allow Kirika to pick out her own clothes?

She's a terrible mother.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the question stands.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're a chuuni disaster.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh hey, you can still reply to this thread.

I gave Kira Kira Precure another chance, and my opinion from earlier in the thread is a lot different. They've been doing some interesting stuff now that they've introduced more compelling villains, and the characters have been more fleshed out than they were in the first cour. I'm particularly interested in how they've developed both Ciel, Yukario, and Akira, and Julio and Bibury have both become two of my favorite antagonists in the franchise. Also, we've seen the main villain Noir only a few times, but the effect his presence leaves and the implications it has on his relationships with his underlings make him effectively terrifying.

One refreshing aspect of it is that they aren't afraid to show the main characters have full on negative or unpleasant character traits, whereas other seasons have relied more on failures to communicate and misunderstanding to create drama with the characters. Ciel's character arc involves both her and her brother hurting each other, and it's not treated as a mistake or something one or both of them just didn't get - Ciel was honestly hurtful towards someone close to her, and Julio wasn't [spoiler]so much brainwashed, but openly envious and driven to evil, with him stating that he was fully in control of the decisions he made.[spoiler] Likewise, Yukari has had to deal with the realization she can be a petty and hurtful person, and the effects her personality and the desire to appear outwardly perfect are starting to have their effect on her. Along with them being perfectly willing to show other characters like Ichika as fully capable of being bratty and immature, the show actually handles the idea that people having negative sides to themselves are facts of life, and aren't things that need to be immediately corrected or aspects that should be immediately stopped. No one in the show grows out of something overnight.

The "sweets" theme is still omnipresent and it's still taking a much different approach than the more hand to hand combat heavy seasons, but it's still won me over and I can appreciate those aspects now. All in all, the show has markedly improved, and the stakes are much higher and the plot is more interesting now than when the worst thing that could happen was someone's dessert being ruined. I recommend it, and I hope the second half keeps the momentum.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Princess Precure is a great show. I'm glad Precure seems to be having a good three year run after Happiness Charge was so disappointing.

Kirakira had a weak start but it's very much come into its own.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Haruka is so nervous to meet the gf's family

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

next week on Kirakira Precure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2XB86BIvQ

cats

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

watch Precure

any Precure is good

except HaCha

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 22, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's still the usual "daisuki" plausible deniability stuff. Even at the end of the episode Yukari says she hasn't felt "true love" yet.

But it's as much as they can probably get away with.

Mahou Girls was pretty blatant-to-the-degree-they-could-do-so about Mirai and Riko's relationship too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh. I don't hear much about the stage shows. Neat.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I recommend Dokidoki. I understand it's divisive, but it's my favorite series even years later.

Shame the Glitter Force version totally takes a bat to everything good about it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Glitter Force Doki Doki cuts things to a bigger degree than the one for Smile did, chopping up several episodes into a single one. This has the result of an episode where the team getting their final power up and finishing move getting cut, so the next episode that they DO keep having it show up out of nowhere.

A lot of the character focus episodes end up getting axed, too. Like I don’t really mind Dokidoki’s focus on Mana or think it’s as bad as people say (Mana doesn’t even get a focus episode for her final solo attack), but if what was there bothered you, GF is worse about it. Rachel/Rikka gets the worst of it, along with every episode where she had significant interaction with her best friend getting removed entirely.

But they managed to keep the episode where she rescued Ira.

Hmmm. Funny, that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm kinda surprised GoPri is at the top.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It is! This fandom can just be kind of insular about what is and isn't good. But then, this is the Japanese fandom, so.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like it or hate it, HaCha is objectively the lowest point in the franchise. It did very poorly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm saying it didn't do very well. It had a significantly negative reception and the sales it generated are literally the lowest the franchise has ever had. That's not going to contribute to many people voting for it.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 13, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It tends to vary. Dokidoki's movie, for instance, can be viewed on its own, but it's informed by and informs various aspects of Mana and Makoto's characters.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

None of the movies really fail to fit in with their respective series. Some of them build on what's already there, though, and Dokidoki's movie informs quite a bit of Mana's character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Emiru looks so happy to be tall.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My reaction to Emiru on Hugtto's brother everytime he's on screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3hOM1HhlVI

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like how even when doing the Cure Ace thing, Emiru is still shorter than Lulu

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Smile is good, and never gets bad, per se, it just never really amps things up. It's stuck in this weird kind of homeostasis due to the plot mostly staying the same and being extremely episodic. They get to a climax half way through, and then literally reset the clock to keep the status quo for another half of the series.

Most episodes are entertaining on their own and there's some solid character work, it's just pretty static. Pierrot is very much a nothing bad guy, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so public service announcement:

Please avoid any anime websites, the Precure tumblr tag, twitter, or anywhere else you think might spoil you until you see the new episode.

That is all. Thank you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The real mystery is how Toei managed to keep their gob shut about all of this when usually they spoil stuff like this weeks to month in advance and plastered all over magazines.

I wonder if we'll see any other Precure show up. It'd be nice to see Emiru bond with the Suite girls over music.

Also where the hell is Hikari? Nagisa and Honoka are in their Max Heart designs and if they're transformed that means they were already in battle. Did they leave her back in 2005 to fight alone?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mirai, Riko, and Haa-chan are in the Kirakira movie, which is explicitly canon to its series.

Oddly enough they're still kids, so who knows what's going on there

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it feels kind of odd to promote the movie five months in advance. Usually, Toei's tie ins for this stuff are more contemporary.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

given they're doing this so far in advance of the movie and the way the ending is cut before it shows certain teams, I'd say there's a good chance of other teams showing up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There’s Coppe in Heartcatch, Jonathan in Dokidoki, Kanata in Go! Princess, and Julio in Kira Kira, but they never let them steal the show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Urobochi didn’t do Ryuki, he did Gaim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sorry, misunderstood what you said.