Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Hi, I'm Yes_Cantaloupe, and I love magical girl anime. My favorites are Madoka Magica, Card Captor Sakura, and maybe Flip Flappers or Heartcatch Precure.

X

Sakura is the cutest.

:same:

I'm now just checked out Flip Flappers since I missed that it came out. First ep is interesting. But I too love magical girl anime and my favorites are Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Heartcatch Precure, and Magical Lyrical Nanoha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Endorph posted:

watch symphogear

Its next on my list after I finish Flip Flappers. I'm about 3 episodes into FF and its really visually great and the character elements are interesting. Buff green rabbit is great.

Alligator Pie posted:

Does Shugo Chara count? I'm not finished watching it yet but it's pretty cute. :3:

I think it counts. I watched all of it when it aired. Its pretty good but there are some spots in the later season where it drags a bit. I like the concepts of their powers being their potentials in life.

I want to add Ore no Twintail to the list but I feel like it may slide more in favor of being a sentai spoof then anything else.

Vividred Operation is good with the action sequences but suffers from being panderingly creepy.

Revolutionary Girl Utena total counts as a magical girl. Just that Utena's magic is stabbing people with her sword.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Strange Quark posted:

What magical girl anime should I watch

Akazukin Cha Cha, Kamakaze Kaitou Jeanne, Shugo Chara, Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon. That should take you a good long while.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Endorph posted:

Crystal's a lot dryer and less visually interesting than the 90s anime. It has some decent stuff in it but I think the 90s anime is a lot better on its own and even better in terms of appealing to kids - the 90s anime is episodic, there's a lot of it, all the characters get some focus so kids can pick a favorite, there's tons of weird imagery that the manga/crystal doesn't execute on as well, etc. Crystal's just kind of a dry story of Usagi bouncing from fake-out love interest to fake-out love interest.

This 100%. The 90s anime while long gets you invested in each character so when dramatic moments happen you care. The Crystal series is like the after meal glass of Port. Its condensed and good to have as a supplement after you've eaten the whole course of the older anime. The only part of Crystal I care for isn't even near being made yet and that's Stars. If only because the 90s anime and manga varied quite a bit.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

P-Mack posted:

They said they liked subs better when they watched LWA so I figured I'd stick with that.
They were confused initially because they'd been reading the older manga translation where they changed all the names for some reason.

Yeah, during the DiC importing times they renamed a lot of the characters with hopes to make the anime more acceptable to wider audiences. The new dub has the original anime names and isn't too bad as far as its translations.

The saddest part of Crystal is that Tuxedo Mask no longer throws roses of doom.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Got to see the musical in theaters this past weekend. Was really fun and the subtitles really helped out. Though it looks like they weren't give the script for the encore stuff because that stuff didn't have any translations. Story was different from the manga or anime but was kind of an interesting twist. Would have been better if the 3 girls sitting behind me weren't giggling obsessively through the entire stage play. I get that you're fawning over the actors because they're pretty but please keep your pants on.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Also if you want to see the origin of the No Precure can fight another Precure rule watch the second Futari Wa movie and see Toei screw up the Black vs White fight so bad it caused kids to cry!

I went and looked this up and wow it's bad. I can see why kids in theaters would be scarred. Not quite as bad as the 80s transformers movie but getting there.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but out of curiosity, is the live action adaption of Sailor Moon they made a while back any good?

If you enjoy watching Sentai or Kamen Rider there are aspects of the Sailor Moon live action that will be entertaining. I believe that it covers the Beryl arc but has some interesting takes on the manga and anime. The fights are amazing and silly and takes a hard right turn halfway through. I still recommend the live action to anyone that's interested in Sailor Moon.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Larryb posted:

So is it worth it to watch the original Sailor Moon anime in its entirety or would it be better to just watch Crystal and then go back and watch SuperS and Sailor Stars (I think the current run of Crystal has covered up to Sailor Moon S at any rate, correct me if I'm wrong)?

In my opinion you should definitely watch the 90s anime first if you've never read the manga. Crystal follows the manga to an almost fault so the pacing is very fast. There are 3 seasons to Crystal and where it currently is would be the end of Sailor Moon S. They are working on a movie to cover SS. The anime aired while the manga was still going so while there are filler episodes I feel that they serve to develop the characters and you can see the friendship develop. The 90s anime is also good to see where Toei took ideas for Pretty Cure after Sailor Moon end. It's also worth watching because Tuxedo Kamen throws roses in the 90s anime and didn't in Crystal which is a crime.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/Mendinso/status/1013850838442364929

I'm expecting nothing so I won't be disappointed again as I suspect this is just to protect against Hasbro having the Glitter Force rights but please god get Precure streaming on CR okay

If they can actually get CR to simulcast Pretty Cure and bring over the older series I'd actually pay more for my subscription just to get those.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

The Colonel posted:

you can rest easy now that futari wa has combined your childhood of dbz action scenes with magical girls

I was going to add that. Pretty Cure is pretty much the answer to an anime you were looking for as a kid. A good show that says its okay to be girly and punch things at the same time.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

P-Mack posted:

My daughters started watching season one since that's the only one on crunchyroll. They laugh uncontrollably for the entirety of the intro I guess cause the song is extremely silly?!

Anyway after seeing it in action I think the character designs are really well done, the big boots and sleeves emphasize motion during the fight scenes in a really cool way.

I think season 1 is still a good start just to get an idea of where Precure's starting point and base themes come from. Which I would say is filling the gap left by Sailor Moon ending and putting in a younger cast and adding some DBZ fights in there.
The cast isn't too large so its easier to keep track of everyone. Looking back at all the pretty cures that have come out season 1 reminds me of the original Kamen Rider V1 and V2 in comparison to the newer Kamen Rider series. Less flashy bells and whistles and more basic fists and feets for power.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
That's sad. With SM Drops going away forever it would be nice to have something to fill that spot.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Someone put all the transformations together and the song really gets better with all of them singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1XmqcKHwI

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

What are some good magical girl shows to check out if I liked Madoka and Yuki Yuna? I also loved Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew as a kid.

I recommend Shugo Chara because its a pretty fun watch and is more like Precure/Sailor Moon as far as themes of hopes and dreams. First 2 seasons of Nanoha are good but the 3rd one suffers from pacing and a large cast list. If you are interested in older series there's Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne has good art style and story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

SatoshiMiwa posted:

StrilersS 100% has pacing issues but the fact they successfully aged up the cast and the finale is perhaps Nanhoa's best moment as a character makes it my favorite. Also Nanoha and Fate being moms get wrecked Yuno

That is true. I guess I should have clarified in my last post that it is still enjoyable to watch but I felt that the character focus was a bit shallow in parts due to how many players were on the field. Seeing the characters older was done really well.