Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What's the short where it's nothing but children horrifically injuring themselves on an abandoned construction site? I don't remember the name but it's basically the child equivalent of Shake Hands with Danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
The cop from the Baggs looks an awful lot like Geoffrey Lewis, but it can't be him, right? He was doing real movies by 1973.

HOLY poo poo

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 16, 2017

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

streaming only

I'm not great with video stuff, but I know I can capture Comcast's streaming video with OBS easy as pie. But seriously if you ever wanted to :filez: rifftrax stuff, it's been there for as long as rifftrax has been a thing, so that's not a big change or anything.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Gavok posted:

What are some good Halloween-themed riffs? I've seen Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, Last Slumber Party, Ghosthouse, The Night Dracula Saved the World, Hillbillies in a Haunted House, Night of the Living Dead, House on Haunted Hill, Carnival of Souls, Silent Rage and Dark Power.

I still need to watch the Puppet Master one and I guess When a Stranger Calls Back. Anything else I should have on my radar?

Dreamscape, Beast of the Yellow Night, Kingdom of the Spiders, Nightmare at Noon, Mutant, Grizzly and the Last Shark.

If you want to include non-VoD ones that you'll need to sync yourself or use the app, they've done: Halloween, Wicker Man, Saw, Alien, and Sixth Sense.

Try here for a full(ish?) list:
https://www.rifftrax.com/catalog/genre/horror

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

Why isn't there a movie about the killer ghost of Michael Keaton?

Isn't that literally Beetlejuice?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

BDawg posted:

I watched and still have no idea what the plot is... or where Jamie Pressly came from.

Did the cut a scene from the Riff? I know when we watched Pressure Point the other night, the main character and the cop talk about going bowling a whole bunch and the end credits thank a bowling alley, but there's no scene in the movie with it. I'm not sure if they're cutting some of the VoD movies (like they did for MST3K) or if that's just the high level of production quality from the movie itself.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Also kind of funny how even in 1960 Christopher Lee wasn't young.

He fought in WW2.

The Dark is pretty hard to watch. Like literally. It's amazingly underlit. I liked the new Rifftrax presents with the British guys; it's got Kor the Conqueror from the new MST3K season as one of the leads.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

And why even have the sci-fi laser guns that are also swords?

Because it came out the same year as Return of the Jedi when people were still trying their best to ride that train. Speaking of, IMDB says Krull had a higher budget than RotJ which is deeply confusing and hopefully not accurate.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I didn't really end up liking Ice Cream Man. No amount of riffs can make an hour of looking directly at Clint Howard a good idea.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R43dYg_Kuc0

The Samurai Cop Rockin' Action Theme is also fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMzoRxx38qg

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
At the very least, their Horror on the Orient Express (I think that's the title. It's a Peter Cushing / Christopher Lee movie) and Hanger 18 are solid.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I think I'm enjoying the Mary Jo and Bridgette stuff more than Mike and the guys. Everything's so much lighter and goofier.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Canned Panda posted:

Anyone else getting suddenly screwed out of the live shows by their local theater?

Ours has shown every single RiffTrax broadcast, and then this year, none of them.

Mine had every Rifftrax show until the Krull one.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Looks normal to me, what's missing?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 22, 2019

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Jokes on them, I already own all the full length riffs. Take that, Smellson.

Do other people's credit card statements refer to Rifftrax as a recurring charge or have I just confused them by spending $10 there every week or two?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

This may be a surprise but there was a large African theater in WWII.

North African, tho. To be sure.

And Eastern (though to a lesser extent); Italy had Ethiopia and Somalia.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Our tickets said 7:30, but the show didn't actually start until 8. Was that just our own local one being weird or was it like that for other people too?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

CapnBry posted:

THE Giant Spider Invasion, or THE Film About Being Sexually Propositioned?
-- Mom tries to bang daughter's boyfriend
-- Boyfriend tries to bang daughter
-- Stepdad bangs pub lady
-- Mom offers to bang someone who will bring her alcohol
-- Spider tries to bang Mom
-- Stepdad tries to bang daughter
-- Cousin tries to bang daughter
-- Stepdad bangs pub lady (again)
-- Flare is used to ignite a neutron bomb -- BANG

Hey now. Daughter had her tongue in boyfriend's ear. She was clearly trying to bang him. It's the circle of bang.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It's a good podcast. Though if Connor starts talking and it seems like he's going to be a while, go ahead and fast forward. You won't miss anything.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

Maybe it’s hard to be funny in certain segments? I can imagine some areas just not having good material.

I'm probably weird, but I feel like it's important to show the original filmmaker's incredibly incompetent vision in full. I've always seen MST3K/Rifftrax as both a celebration of really bad art and a vehicle for comedy. I know MST3K cut stuff for time/content (like the girl who gets raped and murdered in I think Sidehackers), but I love watching that MST3K (Cinema Edition) channel on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0OWWbUlGv8Zb14I1N9FcL_NKJL2xGSek ) where you get the unabridged movie with the riffs thrown in.

If we can watch Setting Up a Room, I find it hard to believe that there's less compelling things to edit out of any other movie.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

You complain about it every time like it’s the crime of the century. Nobody cares.

I care.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I wouldn't care at all if Bill quit.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Oh gently caress. That's white text on a black background; you know it's serious.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

curiousCat posted:

I wish we had a place where they did this poo poo with newer movies, like the garbage smurfs movie

It'd be nice, but I guess it didn't make economic sense given that they make like dozens of VoDs per just-the-jokes riffs (and I think most of those have been kickstarter stretch goals). It's a shame because the app actually kind of works like it's supposed to now.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I still laugh my rear end off at the whole Twilight franchise.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I think it's more that they're gated by the same kind of sources. RLM will do things straight off of terrible video tapes, but Rifftrax needs to get licenses for the film, so there's got to be an active distributor to negotiate rights with. If they care enough to do that, they're probably also reissuing copies on bluray/dvd precisely because things like RLM have helped grow the crap movie market.

A whole lot of recent riffs have all had that Multicom logo at the front of them.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

ringu0 posted:

A quick reminder: Starship Troopers live in 10 minutes. They Will Fight and They Will Win!

Well timed. I can't possibly think of something else happening tonight that people should maybe watch instead.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I probably shouldn't judge, but why did all you assholes buy this book if it's poo poo and you knew it'd be poo poo?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

New Bridget and Mary Jo riff, Earth Angel a movie that stars Cindy Williams, Mark Hamill, Erik Estrada, Roddy McDowell and Daran Norris.

quote:

WRITTEN BY: Bridget Nelson, Mary Jo Pehl, Matthew J. Elliot

CONTRIBUTING WRITERS: Zac Shatzer, August Nelson, Karyn Vanderkooy

Is August one of Mike and Bridget's kids?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

RiffTrax just never has luck doing these things.

Why do they keep loving around with that when they've got a Twitch channel? They own the streaming rights for their movies; they literally stream them on Twitch already. Do they not have a teenage child they can ask to set up OBS for them?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

It's hard to do live commentary from multiple sources synced with a movie. Even a half-second delay somewhere can completely kill comic timing.

Syncing up multiple chats with a movie is Scener's whole thing, although it obviously has major reliability problems.

The correct answer is to just pre-record it and sync each of their local streams for the playback, but then it's not really "live".

If you know, what exactly does Scener do?

Live commentary from multiple sources seems hard from a physics standpoint. If the delay exists at all to start with between Mike/Bill/Kevin's method of communication, the best scener could do would be to delay the broadcast feed by X seconds, and integrate the Mike / Kevin / Bill feeds offset by however many seconds they were behind. It would give the illusion of no lag. That's still your 'just pre-record it' solution, just executed more quickly. They would still step over each other's words a lot because in the moment they were talking, they had not received the other guys' words to react to yet.

It's the same reason there's AFAIK no good way at all to play live music with people over the internet. You can't play in response to anyone due to lag. The best you could do is each play to a click track, have some server sync up your recordings and show you the result, but again that's the same as the 'just pre-record it' solution.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 29, 2021

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

"Rifftrax: Three guys cracking jokes as a man buries his wife in a makeshift grave."

Yeah this one didn't really work for us. Not funny enough to really outweigh the tragedy in the movie and they seemed to be talking over too much of the dialog in the last act to really know what the hell was going on. It's no House on Haunted Hill.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I feel like if they want to sell MP3s, they should just be a literal audio track I can sync to the movie I just downloaded. We both know how I'm going to be using it. loving around with syncing and ducking the audio is like 2 hours of work.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
All of the ones from that director are 'great'. The other one with the cloned lady who has her own name as a tramp stamp absolutely killed me.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I'd be very interested to know how RiffTrax got the rights to Rollergator and Baby Ghost, since Shaw is notoriously very defensive of his Art, sensitive to mockery, and extremely aggressive with the DMCAs.

$20 is $20.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Hanging out in chat was half the fun. If I just wanted streaming Rifftrax I'd watch an internet channel or watch riffs on Prime or Rifftrax Friends.

I still remember the chat reaction from the first time I saw the end of Zimby the Swamp Boy on their twitch channel. It really can add to the experience.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Fezz posted:

I was watching the Pluto TV Rifftrax channel the other day and a space movie starring Christopher Lee as an evil telepathic alien guy and Robert Vaughn as a 70s normal American was on. Can anyone tell me what this movie is? I can't remember and I would like to know more.

https://www.rifftrax.com/starship-invasions

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
My wife and I love their Mary Higgens Clark riffs. He Sees You When You're Sleeping and A Crime of Passion are favorites. Pick whichever synopsis sounds more interesting to you. There's no continuity.

I also really like their Sherlock Holmes ones. I'm a sucker for old black and white poo poo.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It's been like that for a while now. I want to say for like a year or more?

I basically just buy Bridget and Mary Jo stuff now.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheThomason/status/1672334818242342912
I do have to wonder if someone at Rifftrax is mining Best of the Worst episodes because this isn't the first time they've gotten one that was featured on an episode.

They're both pulling from the same source. There's a couple of distributors converting old schlock to bluray/digital. BotW is buying the blurays and Rifftrax is taking advantage of new, clear ownership to get digital distribution rights from.