Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dreamcast stays winning, in 2002 (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Dreamcast was the best console of all time and it failed because the world wasnt ready for it

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

oh hey that crab souls game is out this week

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

webmeister posted:

The patient gamer wins again

We always do

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Seltzer posted:

Dreamcast was the best console of all time and it failed because the world wasnt ready for it

:yeah:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Seltzer posted:

Didn't the controllers use hall effect analog sticks too? Lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

any console with a controller as lovely as the dreamcast's derserves to fail

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They hosed up the dpad

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I miss the days when a console so relentlessly committed to "the arcade experience at home!" was a fun thing that could actually come out and be pretty cool.

That said, the Dreamcast versions of Daytona and Sega Rally being so.. underwhelming is definitely one of the weirdest things about that library. Along with Crazy Taxi that should have cemented the DC as the ultimate arcade racing machine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I liked power stone on the DC. That was the first game I played that could do 4 people at home, but I only ever played it with 2 other friends and never reached its true potential.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
A sad day. The disc drive in my 360 finally died.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lysandus posted:

A sad day. The disc drive in my 360 finally died.

I don't know for sure if this goon can help, but they have a retro modding thread in SA-Mart and are really good at repairing consoles https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885474

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

priznat posted:

I liked power stone on the DC. That was the first game I played that could do 4 people at home, but I only ever played it with 2 other friends and never reached its true potential.

Powerstone owned and is one of the few games I actively tried to play again. Thankfully had a friend who picked up a DC and a collection of games.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Seltzer posted:

Hard to argue with that. 9/9/99 was a day, man. Final Fantasy VIII and the Dreamcast on the same day.

The very first game I played when I set up RetroArch for the first time on my Series X was the Dreamcast version of Ready 2 Rumble Boxing. Played that game so much.

Also, re-release Power Stone 1 & 2, Capcom!! With online play.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd get a Dreamcast mini for sure :haw:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
My friends parents rented a Dreamcast from blockbuster. I remember being blown away cause you had to put down a $200 retainer or something like that. The controller was really poo poo but crazy taxi running at home at what appeared to be 60fps was wild.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I'd get a Dreamcast mini for sure :haw:

Trying to think of what games I would want on a Dreamcast mini. Phantasy Star Online for sure.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just started emulating DC games and for PSO they'd have to either A) do work to the game to crack the cd key (referred to as an access key in game, I think) or include instructions with the universal keys that Sega programmed in (for instance, the Sega Team lucky number/easter egg of all 7's works), and then of course they're not going to host servers for any mini Dreamcast players. I don't think you're getting any online support in a Dreamcast Mini.

Not to mention that some of the best games just won't fit just due to licensing problems. The only way you can purchase Marvel Vs Capcom 2 right now is through those lovely 1Up Arcade cabs, for instance. It was delisted from Xbox servers years ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are still active private PSO Blue Burst servers if you want to play Phantasy Star Online on your PC in 2024.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

I said come in! posted:

Trying to think of what games I would want on a Dreamcast mini. Phantasy Star Online for sure.

Both Power Stones, both Sonic Adventures, R2R Boxing, Soulcalibur, both Crazy Taxis, ChuChu Rocket, Skies of Arcadia, Cannon Spike, Bangai-O, SF III: 3rd Strike, and maybe NFL2K would be a solid start.

RE: Code Veronica was the game I really wanted it for at the time since I was big into the series, but there's multiple ways to play that one nowadays.

And House of the Dead 2 would need lightgun support.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ReamedAssed

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Seltzer posted:

One stick on the controller, weird and wrong cable placement, wrong disc drive, full-price arcade games with 2 hours worth of content, everything about Shenmue that "aged poorly" sucked at the time.

Best thing you can say about the Dreamcast is that it sired America's Console, the Microsoft Xbox.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

TheScott2K posted:

One stick on the controller, weird and wrong cable placement, wrong disc drive, full-price arcade games with 2 hours worth of content, everything about Shenmue that "aged poorly" sucked at the time.

Leave this thread. Shenmue is a top 10 all timer and its not up for debate

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Toy Commander was one of the best Dreamcast games I had. poo poo was so much fun.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

weird and wrong cable placement

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It would have been wild if they actually made the Xbox 1 compatible with Dreamcast games like Sega Chairman Isao Okawa wanted. wonder if it would have done better in Japan

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

full-price arcade games with 2 hours worth of content

Seltzer posted:

Leave this thread.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://x.com/XboxSupport/status/1782853444811776235

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can you still do the virtual theater watch party thing in the 360 Netflix app?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hatty posted:

It would have been wild if they actually made the Xbox 1 compatible with Dreamcast games like Sega Chairman Isao Okawa wanted. wonder if it would have done better in Japan

Same ease of pirating too?

I guess that was only a small part in the DC/Sega hardware death but I still feel kinda guilty.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Thread reminding me of how many bangers the Dreamcast had, hot drat.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i still have the DC keyboard and typing of the dead. that would be a good title for pc

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've been playing a lot of flight sim these past weeks. Still one of the most impressive games on Xbox, it's practically photo-realistic (if you don't fly too close to the ground).

There's supposed to be a new one coming out this year, but I don't know if a sequel is really needed so soon?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

I've been playing a lot of flight sim these past weeks. Still one of the most impressive games on Xbox, it's practically photo-realistic (if you don't fly too close to the ground).

There's supposed to be a new one coming out this year, but I don't know if a sequel is really needed so soon?

Maybe just more hi res assets in more places (more airports etc) but then why wouldn’t they just keep on adding on I suppose!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Flight Sim 2024 will be backwards compatible with all planes from 2020 at least, it'll have a much more optimized game engine, and a completely new overhauled physics engine that will be a lot more realistic. Its all changes that couldn't be made in FS2020. And then all of the new mission types should be pretty fun, plus hot air balloons as a new vehicle type.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Maybe just more hi res assets in more places (more airports etc) but then why wouldn’t they just keep on adding on I suppose!

They're gonna add hot air balloons!

Gotta get that upgrade cash somehow. Game Pass stays winning I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is prophesied that one day the Dreamcast shall return to us in our hour of greatest need to end the console wars once and for all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really hope the PC version of FS2024 has VR support still. That is going to be amazing with the hot air balloon.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Love the tacit admission that 360 Live is basically a vehicle for Blops2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I said come in! posted:

I really hope the PC version of FS2024 has VR support still. That is going to be amazing with the hot air balloon.

Flight simulator in vr is the only thing that really pushes my 2070s and makes me wanna upgrade. Then I look at 4090 prices and just forget that poo poo exists.