Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Kal-L posted:

And then you'll end up like Silver: weak and starved because food production in the modern age is pretty much industrialized and harmful to the environment in some way. Even the production of vegetables and fruits ends up with farmland encroaching in native species areas, animal and plant alike.

If you really want a way to subsist without harming living beings, you could always try and go photosynthetic, but that's still a while in the future.

Even people in the first world have trouble trying to get enough food to get by every day. I think it's in the D&D forum thread about big box stores, how sometimes they're the only way people can buy food because they live in the middle of nowhere, and there are no markets or farms nearby to provide cheaper and more nutritious alternatives, and that leads to people having to eat pizza and hot dogs every day because anything else is just too expensive.

If you can buy organic apples or free-range chickens free of hormones then that's great, but industrialized food production is how many people can now eat affordable steaks or strawberrys out of season.

I think the point the film is making in regards to the food industry is that people should be aware that their food comes from places like the big slaughterhouse from the end, and that we as consumers should demand better conditions in the production, instead of just leaving it at wanting shiny, more colorful and cleaner packaging for the end product.

I don't wanna start a vegetarian debate but from just a purely caloric viewpoint meat is incredibly inefficient in terms of money spent.

Yeah sure someone.livi g in the boondocks.with low income it may be be difficult to access fresh fruit.and vegetables but I just don't see that as a super legit argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

MisterBibs posted:

Why are these super-pigs given to random children, who aren't told their purpose?

Steve Yun posted:

I should also point out that these superpigs were all given to farmer adults, and in the case of Korea, was given to the grandpa. Mija's relationship was not in Mirando's plans.
That's the answer: they weren't given to kids. They were given to local farmers, because local farmers have a really positive connotation as opposed to large industrial farms. It just happened that one of the farmers selected had a granddaughter helping him on the farm who grew attached to their superpig as she raised it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I don't wanna start a vegetarian debate but from just a purely caloric viewpoint meat is incredibly inefficient in terms of money spent.

Yeah sure someone.livi g in the boondocks.with low income it may be be difficult to access fresh fruit.and vegetables but I just don't see that as a super legit argument.

Like a lot of things it goes back to education. Food deserts are a real thing, but also a lot of people just don't know that it actually is possible to have a healthy vegetarian diet with stuff you can get at any average grocery store without breaking the bank.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Most people in America straight up don't know how to cook.

Not even a little bit.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Snak posted:

Most people in America straight up don't know how to cook.

Not even a little bit.

Or, if they're working long hours and/or rough jobs and/or with children to raise don't have the time/energy to put something together with nutritional content.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

Or, if they're working long hours and/or rough jobs and/or with children to raise don't have the time/energy to put something together with nutritional content.

Oh, and I totally sympathize with that.

My comment wasn't meant to blame people. It's a simple fact that if you don't know anything about cooking, your entire perspective on food options is much different.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Chicken is twice as calorically dense as rice, and you can get it just about anywhere in the US for a dollar a pound. You're not getting sub-$.50/lb rice unless you're trading in tonnages. I'm sure the calculus looks very different comparing only the products at Whole Foods, but to insist with a straight face that the poor are just too ignorant and lazy to understand the virtues of veganism like bougies do takes a truly profound commitment to never looking up from sucking your own dick.

Meat is tremendously inefficient in terms of land and energy spent to calories yielded; the 'what about the field mice getting combine harvestered' argument ignores that chickens and cows eat way more industrially harvested grain than you would if you weren't eating them instead; but at the consumer level the costs are mostly externalized, and someone more concerned with getting the most mileage out of every one of their personal dollars than in living the future of ethical capitalism today is going to hit the dollar menu every so often.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 5, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

If the profit margin works agribusiness doesn't give a poo poo about the "caloric efficiency". And for the significant and growing percentage of Americans who are forced by circumstance or deliberate marginalization into consuming those products, I'm sure they'll be glad to know that their plight isn't "legit" to the moral calculus of food production.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nice nod to another movie about giant genetically engineered animals

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Snak posted:

Oh, and I totally sympathize with that.

My comment wasn't meant to blame people. It's a simple fact that if you don't know anything about cooking, your entire perspective on food options is much different.

Yeah one of my pet peeves is people complaining about I moved to so and so and there's no good pizza/vegetarian/taco places what am I to do? Learning to cook solves most regional complaints.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Steve Yun posted:

See also: the value of poo poo

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Just watched this. What a wonderful movie. My favorite movie released since Swiss Army Man, another Paul Dano joint, and also the movie to make me cry the most since Swiss Army Man. Dano's on fire!

If only more adventure movies would fold in humor the way Bong Joon-ho does, rather than the "punch a guy in a face, say a silly Joss Whedon quip, make the :smuggo: face, rinse and repeat" pattern that's in vogue now that Marvel movies are setting the tempo. The part in the truck after the big New York setpiece, when Paul Dano is injured and that woman is treating him, has a couple hilarious throwaway lines where Steven Yeun is angrily yelling at her about picking up the phone when he calls and about how good of a doctor she is, and it's just so real-sounding and human, which is true of a lot of humor in the film. That's pretty important because so much of the film is just wildly absurd, especially Gyllenhaal, but that sort of oddness is balanced out by super real moments, whether they're moments of pathos between Okja and Seo-Hyeon Ahn or just throwaway jokes. And I liked all the selfie jokes - there were like, at least three.

Also, to me it seemed like maybe it was implied at the end of the film that maybe the girl and the grandfather had gone vegan - the only thing we see them eating are a gently caress ton of vegetables, the chickens are wandering around freely, etc. So all the talk in the thread about "well look the girl eats fish and chicken!!!" seems a little misplaced. Seeing the slaughterhouse might've made her rethink things. And lol at all the people in this thread trying to talk themselves out of having to be vegan. Just relax and stop eating animal products guys, it's honestly not that hard. Believe me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Also, low-key, best part of the movie: Jake Gyllenhaal slowly rotating.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Movie ruled, pigs rule, who knew Jake Gyllenhaal would make such a perfect Waluigi?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No more spoiler tags!

Best part was "Mija. It's me" (takes off glasses) "Jay"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

What do I care? It's not my truck.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Movie ruled, pigs rule, who knew Jake Gyllenhaal would make such a perfect Waluigi?

Holy poo poo.

Hand Knit posted:

What do I care? It's not my truck.

That guy ruled.

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
As the credits began to roll, I sat back in my chair, took another sip of bourbon, and said "Well, I just watched a movie where a dog-faced hippo gets raped. This life has no more to offer."

Slowly, the revolver crept up to my temple...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That guy ruled.

He's the best minor character, and there are a lot of competitors.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

When the ALF members were on the bus at the end I imagined that their next gig was to rescue a few monkeys being used for testing, pretty terrible stuff.

Then turn off okja and load up 28 days later.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Or off to pick up Brad Pitt and release some animals from zoos in Philadelphia.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I keep thinking about this movie and as mentioned, it is much deeper than I first thought. One thing that stuck with me is how futile the situation at the factory was. Nothing could be changed. You can only do a small part (take care of the small piglet) and accept what you can't change. It's difficult to get past that part and it made me really sad.

Steve Yun posted:

What's this a reference to?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The gold pig scene at the end might be my favorite. The camera lingers just long enough on Nancy to see the cruel satisfaction in having Mija realize she needs to play on Nancy's terms, the "real" terms: she makes a business deal and in doing so speaks Nancy's language both literally (in English) and figuratively (money). And then it really knocks it out of the park when Mija throws the fanny pack away at the end, which had previously her holdout act of resistance during the hotel scene with Moaning Myrtle.

For most of the movie I think Mija's been mostly indifferent to the meat factory stuff and really only cared about getting Okja back. I think it was at this moment that she realized she did have some stake in wanting to win the "right" way, and has just lost some ideological battle she only kind of understands. After all, she had the gold pig on her the entire time, and tries to reason emotionally with the super pig executor at first; she doesn't even understand what's so important to Nancy about keeping each and every pig until the last moment.

That scene is right up there with the "bones and beer" scene from The Host as one of my favorite moments from Bong.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25udaa-Wn4E

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nickoten posted:

The gold pig scene at the end might be my favorite. The camera lingers just long enough on Nancy to see the cruel satisfaction in having Mija realize she needs to play on Nancy's terms, the "real" terms: she makes a business deal and in doing so speaks Nancy's language both literally (in English) and figuratively (money). And then it really knocks it out of the park when Mija throws the fanny pack away at the end, which had previously her holdout act of resistance during the hotel scene with Moaning Myrtle.

For most of the movie I think Mija's been mostly indifferent to the meat factory stuff and really only cared about getting Okja back. I think it was at this moment that she realized she did have some stake in wanting to win the "right" way, and has just lost some ideological battle she only kind of understands. After all, she had the gold pig on her the entire time, and tries to reason emotionally with the super pig executor at first; she doesn't even understand what's so important to Nancy about keeping each and every pig until the last moment.

That scene is right up there with the "bones and beer" scene from The Host as one of my favorite moments from Bong.

Okja is Snowpiercer, and Mija is Bong Joonho trying to keep his movie from being chopped up into pieces, and Nancy is Harvey Weinstein telling Bong that the only way that's going to happen is if Bong wants to lose a lot of money

Edit: kidding aside, that's a really good read. I'd wondered what the meaning of the fanny pack was since the camera lingered on it conspicuously.

Edit: oh poo poo she feeds persimmons to Okja out of the bag, and at the end she feeds money to The System out of the same bag

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 8, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nickoten posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize that she was so protective of the fanny pack because it had the golden pig in it. I wouldn't let that off my person either.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
For the short ten seconds that the slaughterhouse bolt gun guy is on screen, he gets a lot of characterization. He is definitely moved by seeing the photo of Okja and wants to show some compassion, but like Dr Johnny his paycheck is being paid by the company. Having a heart is something he's paid not to have.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
What was the significance of this shot?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

For the short ten seconds that the slaughterhouse bolt gun guy is on screen, he gets a lot of characterization. He is definitely moved by seeing the photo of Okja and wants to show some compassion, but like Dr Johnny his paycheck is being paid by the company. Having a heart is something he's paid not to have.

And then there's "Mirando is hosed" guy. He knows what's up.

Relatedly, looking for a youtube of that scene, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wekE7oSO55w

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
"Don't force an image on her like Bennetton did with those Asian models" proceeds to force an image on Mija

Kudos to Bong Joon Ho for somehow convincing Chanel to let them use an actual Chanel dress in the movie as a symbol of cultural appropriation and fetishization of exotic cultures.

The dress in question is based on the traditional Korean hanbok dress:

...except with blouse lapels and short sleeves.

Mija is wearing a half-boyish-half-girlish outfit, a hybrid of the traditional women's and men's clothes. It has a longer tunic than the men's shirts, but not long enough to be a dress, and she's wearing pants.

I pointed out in another post that she only wears a skirt at the end as a sign that she's reached adulthood. Because of that I think the director wanted to keep her wearing pants up until the end, a symbol of still being a kid.

Edit: what's weird about this is that between Lucy and Nancy, Lucy wears the dresses and is presented as immature, and Nancy is presented as more adult and wears pants.

Also, lol at Burberry being pimped out as old school capitalist villain attire

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 11, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

You are posting a lot of amazing poo poo.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hand Knit posted:

You are posting a lot of amazing poo poo.
+1. The point about the mistranslation made me look up more info, and it was definitely an intentional joke.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
More low-key poo poo:

The Korean assistant is wearing two inch pumps and came up the exact same mountain that Dr Johnny did.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 10, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Haha yes I definitely caught that. Also I assume basically everyone noticed this, but in case they didn't, when Dr. Johnny comes up the mountain and is super thirsty, he chugs some soju, thinking it's water, and apparently gets hooked on the stuff because later when he breaks down and takes the meat sample from Okja, he's gulping the same brand down and tons of empty bottles are on his desk.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 11, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Eating with grandpa at the beginning of the movie:

Overhead shot at the beginning:

Eating with grandpa at the end of the movie:

The overhead shot of the food is absent from the end of the movie. Because of how similarly the ending dinner shot is composed to the beginning dinner shot, I think it had to be deliberate, to draw attention to the fact that the overhead shot is missing from the end.

The movie doesn't want you to see what they're eating at the end. It's left ambiguous so that you can tell yourself whatever you want. Did you want to believe that Mija and her grandpa turned vegetarian at the end? You can tell yourself that. Did you want to believe that Mija continued to eat meat? You can tell yourself that too.

One thing that's made clear though is that the chickens are now free to wander about, no longer in coops. If you want to believe Mija turned vegetarian, you can tell yourself that they just keep the chickens around for eggs now. Or if you want to believe that Mija still eats chicken, you can tell yourself that at least she treats the chickens better now. Either version would show that she's become more considerate as a consumer.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 11, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's a pretty fair assumption that Dr. Johnny is an alcoholic before he steals grandpa's soju, but his adoption of that brand is a neat detail.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

less laughter posted:

What was the significance of this shot?

Going by the lack of responses nobody else knows either, apparently?
Of course I can make up an interpretation for it (e.g. climbing the ladder from her shoeshiner great-grandparents to CEO or something), but I was hoping somebody here knew for sure why that shot was inserted into the movie and lingered on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

less laughter posted:

Going by the lack of responses nobody else knows either, apparently?
Of course I can make up an interpretation for it (e.g. climbing the ladder from her shoeshiner great-grandparents to CEO or something), but I was hoping somebody here knew for sure why that shot was inserted into the movie and lingered on.

I posted it on Reddit and the best they came up with was "Nancy is materialistic too"

I may or may not have an in with the director through a mutual friend. If nobody comes up with a satisfying solution I'll try calling in that favor sometime in a few weeks.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Haha yes I definitely caught that. Also I assume basically everyone noticed this, but in case they didn't, when Dr. Johnny comes up the mountain and is super thirsty, he chugs some soju, thinking it's water, and apparently gets hooked on the stuff because later when he breaks down and takes the mean sample from Okja, he's gulping the same brand down and tons of empty bottles are on his desk.

that rules. I need to watch this movie again.

• Locked thread