Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

This was not the correct movie to watch before going out for BBQ.

One little moment I liked was J, at the end, as he got out of the joint, reaching up to adjust the tie he was no longer wearing and then impotently dropping his hand. It was a nice little beat about where we're at at the end of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I think the last time I cried so much during a movie was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I am going vegetarian for at least a month in a pure display of my respect for this movie.

And thank you all so much for posting some more subtle moments. I caught the Korean guide wearing heels on the way up the mountain, but didn't know some of the more subtle points. Like this:

less laughter posted:

What was the significance of this shot?

Shoe polish was originally made (and still is, in some cases) with rendered beef fat, or tallow. She also stepped on an outlined set of footprints at the very start of the movie as she was having her makeup applied (that, I'm not sure why, but again, makeup itself has animal testing implications), which this mirrors becauase she's at the end of her story.

Martman posted:

Totally loved this. I'm curious to hear from people who didn't like Snowpiercer (which I also loved); maybe this one will feel more emotionally grounded and less of an intellectual exercise?

Yep, you're not far off. Okja strikes a good balancing act: on the one hand, you have the light humor of its ecoterrorists and a charitable tone for all of the characters (even Swinton and Gyllenhaal); on the other, you have a surprisingly nuanced critique of capitalist practices.

Snowpiercer? Snowpiercer is a loving Sledgehammer about class war now, and that's the very reason some of my friends refuse to watch it. We always get to the cockroach scene but no further. I mean seriously, the system is literally grinding up children to keep it powered, and that's just too blunt for most.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 19, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Snowpiercer's lack of subtlety is one of the strongest points in its favor.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
You know this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0QnmY2TRaw

It's really great. It also doesn't appear to be on the soundtrack. So what the hell? Does it have a name? Where can I get a copy?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hand Knit posted:

You know this song?

It's really great. It also doesn't appear to be on the soundtrack. So what the hell? Does it have a name? Where can I get a copy?
Don't know the name of the song, but the artist appears to be Dzambo Agusev and the Dzambo Agusevi Orchestra (now the Agusevi Cambo Orchestra), who are based out of Madedonia and whose credits are not on the imdb but are in the ending credits roll of the movie

You can read a Macedonian news article about it:
http://kanalvis.com/?p=6276

I've messaged their facebook to see if their song has a name

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This is just a guess, but considering that Bong Joon Ho is a fan of Terry Gilliam and even named a character in Snowpiercer after him, I feel like the choice of music had to be a nod to Brazil

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I just saw this movie and It was ok. It wasn't as good as snowpiercer in any way or form.

I feel the plot is really really basic, and despite meandering on for a bit at the beginning it feels really short in terms of what actually occurs and the content they cover.

I feel a lot of what the movie tries to represent is so subtly represented it flies past the eyes of a lot of viewers. While some parts of it are very over the top - some of it is far too subtle.

I feel like it could of used a lot more fleshing out of the Mirando corporation and their labs. We only really see one scene with them and are told what they do but it's really kind of brushed over. And a bit more about the slaughtering pens. The only show very little

I also feel there was a big lost opportunity not showing any of the other pig farmers methods or pigs and the way the reveal was set made the movie feel really small - I was expecting them to have all 24 pigs come together for a big final extravaganza and force them to compete through some wicked twisted events to reveal a final winner that is so destroyed by them that it's nearly dead.

Meh.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

JailTrump posted:

I feel the plot is really really basic, and despite meandering on for a bit at the beginning it feels really short in terms of what actually occurs and the content they cover.
I'm always kind of puzzled when I see people say stuff like this. Do you think the more complicated a plot is, the better it is? If I have two movies that are equally good in other respects, but in the first movie six things happen and in the second movie seven things happen, is the second movie better?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hand Knit posted:

You know this song?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Hell yes. Thank you.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

less laughter posted:

What was the significance of this shot?

A classic pair of brown leather shoes? Another animal product? Could be a comment on how we view value, those shoes are the sort of thing you might wear to formal events or to an occasion where you want to display social value in some way. It is materialist and traditional and "good" at the expense of animals.

Watched Okja a few weeks ago. Loved it. Dano is as magnetic as he usually is. The rest of the cast were great, I did get a faux Ace Venture vibe off Gyllenhaal, and I really think it worked, maybe more so because I saw Ace Ventura a bunch as a kid. If Ace Ventura was in a corporate dominated world he too would eventually have his love of animals ground out of him. Anyway, movie was great, gonna have to go back and watch the post credits scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Chicken is twice as calorically dense as rice, and you can get it just about anywhere in the US for a dollar a pound. You're not getting sub-$.50/lb rice unless you're trading in tonnages. I'm sure the calculus looks very different comparing only the products at Whole Foods, but to insist with a straight face that the poor are just too ignorant and lazy to understand the virtues of veganism like bougies do takes a truly profound commitment to never looking up from sucking your own dick.

Meat is tremendously inefficient in terms of land and energy spent to calories yielded; the 'what about the field mice getting combine harvestered' argument ignores that chickens and cows eat way more industrially harvested grain than you would if you weren't eating them instead; but at the consumer level the costs are mostly externalized, and someone more concerned with getting the most mileage out of every one of their personal dollars than in living the future of ethical capitalism today is going to hit the dollar menu every so often.

This only really applies to industrialized animal husbandry. Domestication of food animals was a on adaptation to environments where calories were not available in packages suitable for human digestion - pastureland for instance is usually thin and nutrient poor soil that only supports inedible grasses, but you can access those grass calories by having a sheep digest them for you, albeit at a considerable net loss. But since you can't eat the grass or farm there, the land is still more productive than otherwise.

Even in industrial terms, it's relatively recent that animals are fed on human suitable fodder. Obviously when you're literally feeding cows corn and sorghum that humans can eat it's a pure luxury item, but when it's hay from marginal soils or harvest waste that's not so. It's an efficient redirection of calories from otherwise inaccessible sources.

• Locked thread