Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

putting on Bose noise canceling headphones on to really listen to 4’33”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the professor even says right there that the point of 4'33" is to hear the surrounding noise!

they know their very limited field! what the gently caress! etc.

It is only to hear birds, sorry

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mark immune posted:

Should only be listened to in an anechoic chamber, imo

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

what if the birds on campus are also antisemitic?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
theres one thing i know and that's john cage didnt write 4'33" to challenge anybody

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's the musical equivalent of getting mad that the urinal thing is tagged as art

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

quote:

lusty chanting of “From the river to the sea.”

this

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mark immune posted:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol he complains in that piece that no one wanted to talk to him and then totally botches the quote for one of the few students who would

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

PostNouveau posted:

lol he complains in that piece that no one wanted to talk to him and then totally botches the quote for one of the few students who would

"Botches" implies a mistake

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2 weeks ago my families greatest enemy were ivory tower libs on elite college campuses. this week they're all like singing ivy league fight songs and saying theres never been such egregious student violence in america before.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

McWhorter is a gem. There was also this bit:

quote:

When I was at Rutgers in the mid-1980s, the protests were against investment in South Africa’s apartheid regime. There were similarities with the Columbia protests now: A large group of students established an encampment site right in front of the Rutgers student center on College Avenue, where dozens slept every night for several weeks. Among the largely white crowd, participation was a badge of civic commitment. There was chanting, along with the street theater inevitable, and perhaps even necessary, to effective protest; one guy even lay down in the middle of College Avenue to block traffic, taking a page from the Vietnam protests.

I don’t recall South Africans on campus feeling personally targeted, but the bigger difference was that though the protesters sought to make their point at high volume, over a long period and sometimes even rudely, they did not seek to all but shut down campus life.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

look up when nelson mandela was taken off the terrorism watch lists 2008

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DSA creep's caucus is very pro sexworker and pro small business

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

quote:

I thought about what would have happened if protesters were instead chanting anti-Black slogans or even something like “D.E.I. has got to die,” to the same “Sound Off” tune that “From the river to the sea” has been adapted to. They would have lasted roughly five minutes before masses of students shouted them down and drove them off the campus. Chants like that would have been condemned as a grave rupture of civilized exchange, heralded as threatening resegregation and branded as a form of violence. I’d wager that most of the student protesters against the Gaza war would view them that way. Why do so many people think that weekslong campus protests against not just the war in Gaza but Israel’s very existence are nevertheless permissible?

This is one of the most insane arguments I've read in my life. The protestors are hypocrites, because they'd be against their own protest...if they had a racist message instead.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The difference is that decent people care about anti-semitism in the abstract while rightly no one decent gives a gently caress about the Boers

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

This is one of the most insane arguments I've read in my life. The protestors are hypocrites, because they'd be against their own protest...if they had a racist message instead.
This is a totally reasonable conclusion if you profess belief in the "free marketplace of ideas" and are a rich person who sees all people who are being "rowdy" as basically the same. To someone like this it's perfectly reasonable to ban entire categories of expression because bad people might use them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Halloween Jack posted:

This is a totally reasonable conclusion if you profess belief in the "free marketplace of ideas" and are a rich person who sees all people who are being "rowdy" as basically the same. To someone like this it's perfectly reasonable to ban entire categories of expression because bad people might use them.
You mean because they are annoying/disturbing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anyone who makes me uncomfortable is by definition a bad person and a threat to democracy.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

McWhorter posted:

I don’t recall South Africans on campus feeling personally targeted, but the bigger difference was that though the protesters sought to make their point at high volume, over a long period and sometimes even rudely, they did not seek to all but shut down campus life.

Mario Savio posted:

There is a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part; you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop. And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

moralists don't really have beliefs. sometimes they stumble upon one, like a child's toy left on the carpet. the toy must be put away, and the child reprimanded.

i wrote that from memory ,someone make an emote for it like :eco:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hadji murad posted:

they decided to use sexy confident women instead of awkward teenagers which broadened the appeal beyond teenagers and perverts.

This only really applies to the cursed "idol music" subset of pop music, though (which is hosed up in both cases, even if it might be marginally more hosed up in one than the other). And maybe even just female idols, since I definitely wouldn't say that Korean boy idol groups are somehow preferable to their Japanese counterparts.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the professor even says right there that the point of 4'33" is to hear the surrounding noise!

they know their very limited field! what the gently caress! etc.

It's not even his field. I forget what his field is, but teaching the required core course on music is a hobby.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah you’re probably right, it really bothers me because it seems to create this wrong sense of what’s happening that probably makes it harder to actually notice signs of real trafficking. If everyone is looking for wayfair shipping containers then they aren’t going to notice signs of real trafficking, which is a lot more to do with coercion and emotional manipulation, but also if all sex work is reduced to trafficking, and trafficking is understood to be this huge global conspiracy, then intense criminalization is really the only reasonable response, which ugh

if only we had a thread to discuss how established media uses terminology in a misleading way under the guise of political correctness to create a toxic atmosphere of belittling anyone who disputes their framing and thus making it nearly impossible to actually discuss any of these issues respectfully since any analysis involving complexity and nuance is almost immediately reduced to petty name calling over perceived qualifications

eh no big loss goons get weird discussing women and sex so its not like these are conversations worth having anyway

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

hadji murad posted:

they decided to use sexy confident women instead of awkward teenagers which broadened the appeal beyond teenagers and perverts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/05/the-k-pop-plastic-surgery-obsession/276215/

So confident!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

The difference is that decent people care about anti-semitism in the abstract while rightly no one decent gives a gently caress about the Boers

the Boers didn't have a us-based political apparatus to push their genocidal manifest destiny agenda into the center of american politics

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

comedyblissoption posted:

drat i wonder why people dont like talking to journalists

I can't imagine being that polite when someone implies your murdered family members had it coming

Shageletic posted:

I'm a big fan of Swedish indie music. The Shout Out Louds, I'm From Barcelona, The Mary Onettes, The Radio Dept, etc and that's only indie rock. They pack alot of punch culture wise imo. Full of great musicians who could pursue art as a craft their entire adult lives.

friend introduced me to first aid kit a while back. i started to notice swedish groups branching out to other kinds of music and doing it better than a lot of north american groups lol

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
My family’s past, and Germany’s, weighs heavily upon me. And it’s why I feel so strongly about Gaza

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/apr/19/family-past-germany-gaza

quote:

Not that Uncle Walter was the only one in the family who facilitated the Third Reich and the Holocaust. My paternal grandparents were very proud to have been among the very earliest members of Hitler’s party. My maternal grandfather – Walter’s brother – was the head of a factory in Vienna that made the guidance systems for the V2 rocket, a factory that was staffed by Russian and Ukrainian slave labourers.

I’ve never really felt a need to write about my family history before. But Walter’s life and crimes feel uncomfortably relevant right now. As I watch how the debate and discussion over the war in Gaza have played out in Germany, in the months since the horrific attacks of 7 October, I worry that even as we constantly invoke the Nazi past, we are forgetting some crucial lessons from our history.

Support for Israel is sacrosanct in Germany. That’s for good reason. It is entirely natural for Germany to feel burdened by guilt when it comes to the Jewish people; like most Germans, I believe solidarity with the Jewish state that was created after the Holocaust is a sacred obligation. But unlike many in my country, I don’t believe that support for Israel alone fulfils the responsibility placed upon us by the horrors of the past. Instead, I fear that for the sake of the superordinate desire to stand by Israel’s side – a desire that has landed Germany with the accusation at the international court of justice of aiding genocide – we are inadvertently repeating mistakes that have been made before.

What about the lesson that all people’s lives are of equal value? At the peak of Uncle Walter’s career, Germany divided the world between Übermenschen and Untermenschen, superior people and the subhuman. The horrible outcome of that division should imbue Germans with an understanding of the importance of considering all humans as equal – regardless of racial, ethnic or religious background. And yet as I follow discussion of the war in the Middle East and the matter-of-factness with which the number of victims in Gaza has been accepted, I frequently get the impression that this lesson is being forgotten.

hmm platforming people with Nazi grandparents is embarrassing but at least she is using her article to say that the Holocaust should not be used to terrorise Palestinians. I hope this doesn't suddenly veer into Nazi apologia...

quote:

The final – and possibly most acute – lesson, which many Germans seem to be suppressing, stems from our own extraordinary postwar experience. After the second world war, and after centuries of atrocities, the vicious circle of revenge was broken in Europe. This was a truly historic achievement from which the Nazi perpetrators benefited more than anyone else.

Look at my family: for all his crimes, Uncle Walter did not face the death penalty. Instead, after six years, the life sentence imposed on my great-uncle in the Nuremberg trials was lifted and he was released in 1954. He died in the 1970s as a wealthy, respected man on the shores of one of Bavaria’s prettiest lakes. His brother, my grandfather Paul Warlimont, was sentenced to only two years in prison for his mistreatment of factory workers. He was later awarded Germany’s Order of Merit. My paternal grandparents, the very early Nazis, were also granted a rich and free postwar life. The clemency extended to all my forebears was clearly not in the service of justice. But it did serve the interests of peace.

:eyepop:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Besides being the great-niece of one of Hitler’s generals, I am also a journalist in London.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

My family’s past, and Germany’s, weighs heavily upon me. And it’s why I feel so strongly about Gaza

To this woman I say - it isn't too late to make the world a more just place

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Jazerus posted:

Besides being the great-niece of one of Hitler’s generals, I am also a journalist in London.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

the Boers didn't have a us-based political apparatus to push their genocidal manifest destiny agenda into the center of american politics

They did Thd ADL

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jazerus posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

hmm platforming people with Nazi grandparents is embarrassing but at least she is using her article to say that the Holocaust should not be used to terrorise Palestinians. I hope this doesn't suddenly veer into Nazi apologia...

:eyepop:

i just dont understand how pardoning my whole nazi-rear end family and letting them accumulate a shitload of money and political influence could be related to our state support for a nazi regime

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The Nazi's were bad, but their* money? Their* money is so good.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

The Nazi's were bad, but their* money? Their* money is so good.

No the nazis were also good, see, it was really a move in the name of peace for all to let them take over the government and business after they lost the war

Apr 25, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Apr 25, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't find it now, but I read a post the other day about how Taylor Swift, in the Global South, ends up being a kind of class signifier*, particularly among the middle-class: that people go out of their way to become fans of Taylor Swift as a means of declaring that they're just that much richer, and just that much more cultured than their peers. Of course, "cultured" in this context is defined as America wants to define it, based on their ability to export pop culture for mass consumption by the rest of the world.

And this ends up being a bit of a problem, because not only does it strangle local acts, but even the money that the middle-class spends on is directed towards Swift and her production company, her merch, her concerts, and so on.

I bring this up because the underlying theory to the post was that K-pop was a reaction to this American cultural dominance - that South Korea wanted a way to redirect all that attention and all that economic activity into something that would benefit their country, rather than simply having America scoop it all up. Entertainment protectionism, if you will. Of course, in the process, Korea itself created a product that's gained popularity everywhere else, up to and including Americans themselves.

(as an aside, it did make mention that China supposedly also did something like this, to head off America at the pass, but I'm not familiar enough with their entertainment sector to say who would fit into this sort of pop music category)

___

* to be clear, Swift is hardly the first instance of this, just that she's the current one.

the thing about kpop is that its literally just rebranded jpop japan cant for various cultural reasons (mostly due to their many crimes against humanity) easily export their cultural output with anime being a notable exception because its presentation makes it easy to obscure its original source and since japan has a large domestic market it doesnt really need exports to begin with anyway

south korea does need exports because its a much smaller market while also being large enough they can draw from a decent talent pool where you get kpop is you had these first gen executives study the japanese music market and try to recreate their system which they did fairly successfully now to be clear kpop isnt perfectly identical to jpop but if you listen to both and look at their production methods its pretty obvious that at bare minimum theyre close cousins and i mean hell all the way back to the occupation era you have gisaeng music being so popular in japan that it kind of results in the genocide of gisaeng musical culture entirely post liberation because of how closely it was associated with colonialism

north korea by contrast isnt allowed to compete in the international market even for real products that can be objectively measured never mind intangible bullshit like popular culture and i can guarantee you none of the dipshits who write articles like this has even seen actual north korean popular culture because its like academic research level digging you have to do to even find any when i was studying the topic at the korean film archive i had to give them my passport to watch their old vhs tapes and i was only allowed to see one a day they werent even properly listed in the database either and after i left they moved them to a different facility entirely i presume because they were scared someone might watch them and decide that communism is good

north korean magic shows are pretty cool btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtgZRT9WhbA

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sweden explicitly attempted to create a musical culture that could stand up to American influence, decades ago, through major investments in the education system in this area. This produced Max Martin, who has arguably been the biggest force in American pop music since 1998. One of his creations is modern Taylor Swift.

That is to say, this is not a new story, though South Korea being independently successful rather than getting subsumed entirely is more than Sweden managed. Though I'll give Sweden this, it is a lot smaller than South Korea and probably also a lot easier to culturally assimilate.

it really pisses me off btw that this is like the first thing most people will say about kpop policywise but noone ever says it about sweden

in the same vein the way that koreans are stereotyped as a naturally plastic surgery loving people when noone says that about say argentina when they have a nearly identical rate is super frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

edit

didn’t read the whole post