Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

beepstreet posted:

Does Imp Zone still do Metal Gear July or should I keep it to this thread? I just started a European Extreme MGS3 file.

I thought In Training made a thread each year. My backlog of games from the last few years is so great that I'll have to just be a spectator and not a participant :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I hope 3 brings back the weapons room like in Silent Assassin or Blood Money. Give me a Paul Denton apartment with a secret compartment where I can look at all my rubber ducks and coins

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Brutakas posted:

Did they ever allow your progress in Hitman to transfer to Hitman 2? Is level mastery still a thing in Hitman 2?

No to the first thing and yes to the second. I think they are allowing item/weapon transfer from 2 to 3 though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The newer Hitman games have a Bond feel to them so that's a good fit imo. Hitman 3 is gonna have an Agatha Christie murder mystery in it, I can't wait

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The bank mission is great and one of the best in the series but I do wish they experimented with powers more. Maybe they did in Deathloop but I haven't played it yet

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
One thing I liked about the first Dishonored was that taking lethal options with your targets is arguably merciful compared to some of the non-lethal ones

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm replaying Thief Gold for the first time in at least 20 years and goddamn it's aged so well. I had pretty clear memories of Bafford's mansion and the Bonehoard but was hazy on the rest except Constantine. This has some of the best worldbuilding even now because it's such a light touch where you're expected to put a lot together on your own through stuff you hear or read during a mission. The level design is still as strong as any bigger-budget modern immersive sim.

I think the biggest surprise coming back to Thief is how it mixes up the mission design a lot. You've got your standard B&E at big mansions but also lots of dungeon crawling, a prison break, etc. No one mission type ever has time to get redundant or stale, and there are lots of little curveballs mid-mission that change up your objectives. Probably the only quibble is the loot requirements on Expert are a bit too strict. I was 5 gold short on the Opera House and spent almost an hour scraping around until I finally found some loot in an odd spot where it didn't really make sense to be there.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The environments especially are in that sweet spot where you can clearly see what's being depicted but your imagination embellishes a lot of the finer details. The sound design also does a lot to bolster the visuals for me when you've got leaky pipes, prominent room tone, etc. Just makes it easier to get immersed and visualize everything.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

In Training posted:

I recently updated muh Backlog over New years and been eyeing all the thief games I've owned. I've played one of them a couple times and was never into it - I think one of the later ones? I remember the tutorial level being tiny & dark & the lock picking mini game was broken. I need to start from 1.

Is this the first entry?

Lockpicking in 1 and 2 has you switch back and forth between two different picks as needed, but it isn't more complicated than "use item on lock." Maybe this was Deadly Shadows? I haven't actually played that one yet.

e: beaten like a taffer by a blackjack

I've moved onto The Metal Age and you can see the refinements in level design, lighting, etc. right away. Just did the dockyard mission and exploring everything took more than 2 hours. Incredible level. I love the addition of secret caches and bonus objectives. It gives you even more incentive to examine every nook and cranny carefully.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Seventh Arrow posted:

I want to see a walkthrough of the TDP version of Lost City, apparently the TG version added enemies and made it feel less desolate.

As much as I've tried to appreciate them, the "tomb raider" levels do nothing for me. Some people will defend "Down in the Bonehoard" but I hated it, especially the formless grey caves filled with burricks.

The funny thing about the Gold version of Lost City is they forgot to add a "don't kill anyone" objective on Expert so you can go ham on the mages if you want. Either way I think the level is worse off for them, mainly because it doesn't make sense for humans to be patrolling down there.

I really love Bonehoard and the Cathedral levels, but Lost City not so much. I can see why people like the big mansion levels more since in general the level design is better. Assassins is probably my favorite mission in Thief 1 because of the mansion layout and the lead-up to get there.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 9, 2024

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Good soup! posted:

How well or poorly have the Tenchu games aged? I found the two ps1 games in my basement and I have no idea how they got there and have no memory of buying them but I guess I'll add them to the backlog lol

I replayed a bit of the first one like 5 years ago but fell off after the first few missions. Controls are stiff as you might expect. I will say the soundtrack is still amazing so it was worth trying again just to hear it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I finished Life of the Party the other day and had a weird bug - the item you need to steal from Karras' office just magically appeared in my inventory when I approached the wall safe so I didn't even need to lockpick it. I dodged a bullet there but even with that weird hiccup at the end it's probably the best mission between the two games. There are so many neat mini-stories scattered throughout the level, and all the chatter from the aristocracy makes knocking them out extra satisfying.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha perfect! :D Never played the GB MGS game personally, but drat I'm glad it exists

Ghost Babel is amazing. Definitely play it if you get a chance.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Seventh Arrow your screenshot choices are on point. I haven't played TBP yet but those screenshots are a great showcase of why the Dark engine holds up so well. Those environments look incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If you have a working PS3 just buy the MGS Legacy Collection op.