Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Piccolo is an Aroace icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

Super Hero looks good

Honestly, for a full CGI movie, it does look really good. The main issue is that it came after Broly and it absolutely could not live up to how beautiful that was.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Endorph posted:

Super Hero looks good

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The 3D in Super Hero looked a lot better than the 3D they used in Broly, but the rest of Broly was just so drat good looking. I like the 3D but I do hope they go back to that Broly style.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Super Hero looked like it was a cutscene out of a video game with the in-game models. It was fine, but I don't agree with that kind of art direction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was just 3d animation what do you mean

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It looked way above video game cutscenes and even the CGI from Broly. I was sceptical at first but it did turn out pretty well, if not quite as magnificent as Broly

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It simply lacks some of the sharp detail that the hand animation offers, it doesn't look bad or anything, its just different and kinda softer feeling to me.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Endorph posted:

Super Hero looks good

It looked fine, I got used to it as the movie went on and I say this as someone who thinks Marvel What-ifs or X-men 97 look horrible

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Momomo posted:

The 3D in Super Hero looked a lot better than the 3D they used in Broly, but the rest of Broly was just so drat good looking

this is true. the 3D punch dimension did not look good in broly, the 3D in super hero looked pretty great the whole way through and did a much better job of making blows look like they had impact in 3D

the rest of broly just looked so good that i'll always want more

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It simply lacks some of the sharp detail that the hand animation offers, it doesn't look bad or anything, its just different and kinda softer feeling to me.

There hasn't been hand animation in anime since the 90s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

wrong

the coloring and compositing is done on computers these days but most of the actual art and animation is still done on paper first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip_GuLQErVg&t=341s

as seen here (the youtube man is annoying but the footage is interesting)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I forgot where I read/learned this but Super Hero sort of did the inverse as well.
They had artists redraw/refine frames on a second pass for instances where the animation worked better being intentionally offmodel/stylized instead of purely 3D animated.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zedd posted:

I forgot where I read/learned this but Super Hero sort of did the inverse as well.
They had artists redraw/refine frames on a second pass for instances where the animation worked better being intentionally offmodel/stylized instead of purely 3D animated.

Was this not just DBFZ you're thinking of? Or did they do it in both

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kild posted:

Was this not just DBFZ you're thinking of? Or did they do it in both

they both do this

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Endorph posted:

Super Hero looks good

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Super Hero looks pretty drat good but i can still remember all the psychedelic colors and patterns and poo poo from all the various attacks that Broly threw out in the Broly movie. Super Hero doesn't go super crazy until the Cell Max fight at the end i guess? Plus when the Gammas are fighting Gohan in the rain too i suppose.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

The problem with 3d animation is that everything looks so stiff. They lack the in-between frames that are exaggerated/deformed/skewed in a way that cannot happen with a 3d model. At its worst, 3d animation can look like two action figures with relatively high articulation going at it.

At its best, which you see during some of the fights in Super Hero, it looks just like traditional animation.

I do wonder which takes more effort: doing 2d animation, or making 3d animation look like 2d animation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Prowler posted:

The problem with 3d animation is that everything looks so stiff. They lack the in-between frames that are exaggerated/deformed/skewed in a way that cannot happen with a 3d model
there are absolutely exaggerated inbetween frames in a fair amount of 3d animation

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think smear frames became common in 3D animation around 2014 or so. I know Hotel Transylvania had them at least

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Endorph posted:

there are absolutely exaggerated inbetween frames in a fair amount of 3d animation

Dragon ball fighterz had a few

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, how’s the Sand Land anime overall (also should I watch the movie or does the show pretty well cover it)?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the TV edit covers it and more, and is doing a second original story as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So there are more episodes coming than the 8 currently available then?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Siegkrow posted:

:dafuq:

Anyway, yes, Super Hero looks fine to good (your brain does get used to it) but like others say it sometimes looks like you're watching action figures move.

The last Puss in Boots movie should NOT have better and more stylized fight scenes than the new Dragonball film lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

super hero looked better in motion than I was worried it would but in the end, I do yearn for Broly's style and direction

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
all of gohan's transformation stages looked sweet though.

best 'powering up' changes the weather i seen in dragonball in a while

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Endorph posted:

You're right, and I was literally thinking of animations in Smash Bros Ultimate while making the post (e.g. Wario's up smash with his huge, expanding head).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Siegkrow posted:

DBFZ and all of Arcsys's 3d games have shitloads of smear, perspective shifts and model distortion to get their look right.
Super mario wonder is entirely 3D but breaks standard conventions to make things look cartoony. And theyve been breaking convention since 64.

A lot of 3D animated movies now do the animated on twos like puss in boots the last wish.

(Otoh if you want the animated on negative 1s look look up zenless zone zero)

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

there are a lot of less obvious ones that are obscured by the camera angle, its neat

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

gay devil posted:

there are a lot of less obvious ones that are obscured by the camera angle, its neat

That's just what happens when you have full control over Beast, you can make it affect any part of your body, not just the hair.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Forma de Zamasu

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

gay devil posted:

Gear 3 Gohan

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm tired of these jokes about my giant hand. The first such incident occurred in Age 767...

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Lmao

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

gay devil posted:

Don't let Future Gohan see this.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
you threaten my land you get the gohand

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Keep it coming, these are great (i'm serious)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh is this the new GoHands anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhKneD53kUQ